Old 03-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It doesn't matter what they deserve. He physically can't serve out his sentences in both states.
That really isn’t the point. Putting a person on trial , airing the evidence, handing down the verdict, it’s all justice. Even if the resulting sentence is just a theoretical number it’s still justice. Having those convictions noted on his Wikipedia page. That’s part of justice. Making the test of his life relentlessly publicly humiliating. Justice.

Last edited by Acsenray; 03-11-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Do only his NY victims deserve justice, and their day in court?
I'm not advocating either way, & maybe this belongs in IMHO as a poll.

The prosecutor has finite resources. The amount of time HW spends in jail most likely has no bearing on whether he's prosecuted in CA or not as I wouldn't expect him to live out his NY sentence.

The victims would have to go thru the probably traumatic experience of testifying in court & possibly having negative aspects aired by the defense team & even if convicted, he doesn't spend a single day in prison for it.
OTOH, they get 12 people to confirm that they were assaulted/raped. Given he's been convicted of similar crimes elsewhere do you really think many people are going to doubt the CA women?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:44 PM

In the DC shooter case the adult was tried in Virginia since they have the death penalty. Maryland and DC don't have it. And the adult was convicted and executed in Virginia. The kid was not 18 so he got life without parole. LA probably will wait for appeals.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Los Angeles DA has begun extradition proceedings today.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:09 AM

I appreciate the logistical and financial issues of not bothering to prosecute Weinstein in California but there is a much bigger issue at play. Weinstein getting punished on Hollywood's home turf would have a much greater deterrent effect on all the undiscovered Weinstein-wannabes still out there than the New York conviction will. Telling all those lecherous producers, directors, etc "BEHOLD - YOU ARE NO LONGER FREE TO DO WHAT YOU LIKE HERE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE" is a big fucking deal.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I appreciate the logistical and financial issues of not bothering to prosecute Weinstein in California but there is a much bigger issue at play. Weinstein getting punished on Hollywood's home turf would have a much greater deterrent effect on all the undiscovered Weinstein-wannabes still out there than the New York conviction will. Telling all those lecherous producers, directors, etc "BEHOLD - YOU ARE NO LONGER FREE TO DO WHAT YOU LIKE HERE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE" is a big fucking deal.
Agreed. In an ideal world, he'd serve his sentence in a California prison, just to drive that point home.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 03-12-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Agreed. In an ideal world, he'd serve his sentence in a California prison, just to drive that point home.
Getting raped in prison would drive the point home.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Getting raped in prison would drive the point home.
This is also rape culture. Prison rape isn’t funny.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Let's please not have jokes about rape, in any context.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
The prosecutor has finite resources...
The LA prosecutor also has a career, and the office has a reputation, to consider.

Above and beyond giving additional victims their day in court (a noble goal in and of itself, presuming this is what they want, even if he never actually serves a more severe punishment due to these additional convictions), there is a practical reality at play - I am certain that the LA District Attorney's office wants the favorable publicity that comes with scoring a high profile conviction that is publicly popular. If you are allocating resources, this is exactly the slam dunk worth spending money on.

Last edited by Moriarty; 03-12-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
The LA prosecutor also has a career, and the office has a reputation, to consider.

Above and beyond giving additional victims their day in court (a noble goal in and of itself, presuming this is what they want, even if he never actually serves a more severe punishment due to these additional convictions), there is a practical reality at play - I am certain that the LA District Attorney's office wants the favorable publicity that comes with scoring a high profile conviction that is publicly popular. If you are allocating resources, this is exactly the slam dunk worth spending money on.
I don't disagree (except for the 'office' word, the DA {person} is a politician who needs to be concerned with getting reelected.)
The only way to not prosecute is to hold a big, yuuuge press conference - "After consultations with the victims, my office is dropping the charges at this time in the name of fiscal prudence because the dirtbag Mr. Weinstein is not likely to ever serve a day of his penalty after being convicted for crimes in CA."

I know nothing about the LA DA, but I agree that he probably will go for the resume padding as LA doesn't have a reputation as a deeply conservative area.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

As a matter of policy, prosecutions against powerful people should never be deferred.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:57 PM

One thing I like about the case is that, as far as I can tell, no one actually took his walker seriously. I was greatly amused by his defensive claims that he really, really needed it and it certainly wasn't a sympathy ploy.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

After 9/11, Weinstein insisted on a red carpet premiere in New York for “Serendipity,” over the csdt’s reservations. He invited Kaye Beckinsale over for a play date for their young children and then went fucking crazy on her.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/k...nt-1203531809/

Quote:

“I turned up and he immediately called for his nanny to take the babies to another room to play. I went to go with them and he said, ‘No, you wait here,'” Beckinsale says. “The minute the door closed, he started screaming, ‘You stupid f—ing c—.'”

“I tried to say, ‘Harvey, the city is on fire, people are still looking for their relatives, none of us even felt the premiere was appropriate, much less coming out dressed like it’s a bachelor party,'” Beckinsale writes. “He said, ‘I don’t care — it’s my f—ing premiere, and if I want p—- on the red carpet, that’s what I get.'”

This kind of abuse must also end. Being asshole should limit your options in society.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

More from that rant —

Quote:
“He said, ‘If I am throwing a red carpet, you get in a tight dress, you shake your ass, you shake your t—, you do not go down looking like a f—ing lesbian you stupid f—ing c—.'”
There's a picture of how she dressed that day here—https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...ovie-premiere/

She looks stunning in an all-white suit. How is it some people learn to behave like this?
Old 03-13-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
How is it some people learn to behave like this?
An insufficient number of people took the time to address the problem on a level that Weinstein could understand. That will change quickly in prison if he continues to treat people poorly.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Weinstein's got the Rona.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronav...on-1202889800/
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Reading between the lines, I'm speculating that a prison employee leaked the story, which is illegal. As a matter of general policy, the department won't comment on an individual prisoner's medical condition. And individual employees are certainly prohibited from doing so.

Weinstein was transferred from city custody at Rikers in NYC to state custody at Wende in Attica on the 18th. He hasn't been in a hospital since the transfer.

But the story was published by the Niagara Gazette on the 22nd, a small local paper in western New York. That means the leak didn't come from New York City. It came from Wende. And a lot of Wende employees live in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area.

The IG Office is probably already investigating to see which employees know Joe Mahoney, the reporter who wrote the story.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:41 PM

who leaked the story about him going to Bellevue hospital right after he got sentenced?