Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Perfect, that is definitely it =)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Perfect, that is definitely it =)
Great! Glad to help out.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 PM

I never did get back to my question in the beginning of this thread. The suggestion of William Tenn was indeed correct, I had confused some of the plot with the Sound of Thunder. Thanks!
I have two new questions.

1. A short tory I read in the 80s about a woman who turns out to be one of the few humans who is telepathic. One of her fellow telepaths tries to contact her but she doesn't want this and gets him killed by confusing him in traffic. It ends in that she suddenly realizes that she is alone with her gift. I distinctly remember that she had a soft fontanel, as I had to look up that word.

2. This should be easy but I haven't managed to find it with Google or in ISFDB. It is about the Earth being overrun by refugees from the future, who arrive through time travel portals. They escape a horrible totalitarian future (there is torture going on). The protagonist is a government official involved in dealing with the refugees. She finds out that she is in some way connected to how everything started. I remember she had something she called a 'gadget' that was the key to everything. The story won some prize maybe 10-20 years ago. I thought the title was something like Luminous doors or Luminous portals, but apparently that is a red herring. Googling on refugees and time travel turns up references to a TV series which may be inspired by the story but doesn't mention it.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusculan View Post
I never did get back to my question in the beginning of this thread. The suggestion of William Tenn was indeed correct, I had confused some of the plot with the Sound of Thunder. Thanks!
I have two new questions.

1. A short tory I read in the 80s about a woman who turns out to be one of the few humans who is telepathic. One of her fellow telepaths tries to contact her but she doesn't want this and gets him killed by confusing him in traffic. It ends in that she suddenly realizes that she is alone with her gift. I distinctly remember that she had a soft fontanel, as I had to look up that word.

2. This should be easy but I haven't managed to find it with Google or in ISFDB. It is about the Earth being overrun by refugees from the future, who arrive through time travel portals. They escape a horrible totalitarian future (there is torture going on). The protagonist is a government official involved in dealing with the refugees. She finds out that she is in some way connected to how everything started. I remember she had something she called a 'gadget' that was the key to everything. The story won some prize maybe 10-20 years ago. I thought the title was something like Luminous doors or Luminous portals, but apparently that is a red herring. Googling on refugees and time travel turns up references to a TV series which may be inspired by the story but doesn't mention it.
2 is "Radiant Doorways by Michael Swanwick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_Doors - I remember thinking that the TV series ought to be paying Swanwick something.

Last edited by Andy L; 03-22-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
2 is "Radiant Doorways by Michael Swanwick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_Doors - I remember thinking that the TV series ought to be paying Swanwick something.
Yes, that's the one! Thanks again. I remember that I didn't quite figure out what the actual revelation at the end was.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:06 PM

1. is "Command Performance" (aka "Anyone Else Like Me?") by Walter M. Miller. See discussion here https://books.google.com/books?id=FE...miller&f=false

Here's a list of where it's been collected http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?63117 - in the 1980s it was in "The Great SF Stories #14" edited by Asimov and Greenberg (the good one).

Last edited by Andy L; 03-22-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 AM

Indeed, excellent! Found it in an ebook collection of his stories, Dark Benediction.

Now I'm at it, there is another story I'm looking for. It is about a lowly government official who has found a way to control his superior without the latter's knowledge. This superior has also found (through a different mechanism) a way to control his superior, and so on. Then the top official in some way starts controlling the official with whom it all began, making a loop. I thought it was a Jack Vance story that I read a few years ago in an ebook collection of his, but when I looked through my library I couldn't find the one. I also checked whether it was a Philip K. Dick story but also drew a blank there. It is possible that for some stupid oversight I simply looked past the story, but I've tried a few times already.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusculan View Post
Indeed, excellent! Found it in an ebook collection of his stories, Dark Benediction.

Now I'm at it, there is another story I'm looking for. It is about a lowly government official who has found a way to control his superior without the latter's knowledge. This superior has also found (through a different mechanism) a way to control his superior, and so on. Then the top official in some way starts controlling the official with whom it all began, making a loop. I thought it was a Jack Vance story that I read a few years ago in an ebook collection of his, but when I looked through my library I couldn't find the one. I also checked whether it was a Philip K. Dick story but also drew a blank there. It is possible that for some stupid oversight I simply looked past the story, but I've tried a few times already.
Another easy one (i.e. one I happen to know off the top of my head) - "Servant Problem" by William Tenn
Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 AM

That's the one! I've found it now in my collection of Tenn stories, no wonder I couldn't find it as I was looking in the wrong place.
Amazing recall, even though you find it easy.

Last edited by Tusculan; 03-23-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typo