Old 03-21-2020, 06:32 AM

“Devs” on FX on Hulu

Is anyone watching this? I was surprised to find no thread about it because it seems perfect for this board. I guess it’s kind of niche, since it’s not even on the FX cable channel but only on their new imprint within Hulu.

But it’s created, written, and directed by Alex Garland, who is obviously a high profile filmmaker, and not only are the cinematography and production design stellar, but it engages with some pretty heavy sci-fi philosophy. Plus it’s just really intense. I would in fact warn people that if they can’t handle super stressful plot developments that feel like a gut punch, they probably ought to stay away.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM

I'm on the fence about it so far. I expect to be increasingly disappointed by their handling of the central SF conceit (a computing project I won't describe any further to avoid spoilers), and the surrounding story so far is fairly run of the mill.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:41 PM

I love me some Alex Garland: 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Never Let Me Go, Ex Machina, Annihilation? Hell yes, sign me up! (I am cautiously excited to see his Halo movie. Master Chief!)

The problem is that it's on Hulu, which I only consider to be worth a yearly one-month binge. I'm waiting until the next season of Handmaid's Tale is fully available (August?) before doing my next month of Hulu.

Side note: What in the heck is "FX on Hulu"? If I do a normal Hulu subscription for a month, will I get Devs or do I need to pay more for the FX "channel", similar to Amazon Prime channels?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:44 PM

In terms of what you have to pay for and all that, it's functionally not much different from it being just a Hulu show--except that it will be found in the "FX on Hulu" section, and have a little FX icon on the screen. If you're interested in the behind-the-scenes aspects of TV production, though, FX's chief John Landgraf is kind of a legend in terms of developing and curating quality content, as well as being a kind of philosopher king. And even though the "FX on Hulu" content is not available on the "terrestrial cable" channel or whatever they call it, it's still developed/overseen by Landgraf, which is meaningful to me.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:00 PM

I'm going to attempt to spoiler tag this, but I'm a few years out of practice.

I'm enjoying the show so far. The reveal of what the mysterious tech is all about (as of episode 3) reminded me of one of my favorite books, which I will recommend here for those who are interested:

SPOILER:

The book is The Light of Other Worlds by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter. It takes a classic hard sci-fi approach of imagining one new technology and then following that through to its logical conclusion. In this case, the discovery is that spacetime is punctured by huge numbers of submicroscopic wormholes through which information can be passed. In practice, this means that you can look into any spot on the planet any time you want. I can sit in my living room and peer into my neighbors' bedroom or the White House or the bottom of the ocean. The concept of privacy instantly disappears as people post videos of politicians cheating on their spouses or the Pope pooping or whatever else. The initial response is to try to legislate the problem away, which obviously fails.

As the consequences of this technology continue to be felt, the next iteration arrives - the ability to look not only around the present, but also into the past, similar to what appears to be happening in Devs. From there, things get more and more interesting. Highly recommended, especially if you find the concept of this show intriguing and want to explore it more.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:51 PM

Definitely some Ex Machina vibes going on with this show. It's different, obviously, but there are some rhyming themes. I'm enjoying it so far.

But, goddamn, Hulu fucking chopped my enjoyment in half with its teasers.

First episode, I'm just settling in, just barely getting my mind around all of the "what's that about?" moments, just starting to really let the flavor of the intrigue Garland is creating settle in and envelop the tongue...

and BANG! "Ms. Peacock did it in the drawing room with the candlestick!" "The island is purgatory!"

WTF, Man. Let Garland tell me what the show is about in his own damn time. The next three episodes I'm not watching the story unfold, I'm just waiting for it to catch up with what I already know is going to happen.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM

Smeghead, I have read some other Clarke but not that one. Sounds really cool!

Orr, I guess I was lucky as I did not see those previews. I always avoid all previews (or even descriptions) of movies and TV for just this reason. I had no idea what the show was about until I watched it unfold.

A really fascinating issue the tech tycoon raised in the most recent episode was
SPOILER:
when he posed the quandary: "what if we look a half hour in the future and see that you cross your arms, but then you decide to defy this and refuse to cross your arms?"
Yeah, good question: what WOULD happen, if "we are all on tramlines"? She responds that
SPOILER:
not to worry, the tramlines are real and the employee who is causing them trouble will soon be dead--but she never really engages with his specific thought experiment about the crossing of arms.