Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
People in this thread have said the're glad he has the disease, that it's a good thing he has it, that he deserves to have it. That's pretty much saying that he should have the disease.
Care to amazingly move your amazed goalposts again?

The point is: tough shit for him. It's a direct consequence of his own actions. Fuck him.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-24-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
People in this thread have said the're glad he has the disease, that it's a good thing he has it, that he deserves to have it. That's pretty much saying that he should have the disease.
Personally, I would hate to see his prison sentence cut short. But I won't dwell on it, whichever way it ends for him.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
That sounds absolutely horrifying. I have no words.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
To me, the proof that there is no such thing as Karma is that neither Donald Trump nor Richard Burr has COVID-19.
Yeah, they'll get it, but they have their respirators and top notch medical staff all ready to go. So, still not as proper fucked as many in this country.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you specifically said that people are saying he deserves to die. There is a big difference.

What people are saying is that, due to how bad his crimes are, and given that this disease exists and has to infect people, Weinstein is one of the more deserving candidates. No one is arguing that we should kill him or give him the disease.

And, frankly, I can't see anything wrong with that. Rape is just that wrong that I can't see anything wrong with schadenfreude when a serial rapists who used his wealth and power to accomplish his crimes and take advantage of women gets a disease.

That's all this is. Schadenfreude. No one involved is trying to change it where rape can be punished by a disease. None of these people are saying he shouldn't be treated, or that we shouldn't try to stop diseases that affect people like him.

What is morally wrong is that which causes harm. And I can't see the harm in these feelings as long as they remain feelings.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM

No, of course, there's no harm in those feelings. I mean, there would be, if they contributed to a carceral state that has over two million people in prison, assumes if you're accused of a crime you're guilty, and has pretty much given up on the idea of rehabilitation, trapping ex-cons into a life of second class citizenship and marginalization. But, of course, no such place like that exists, because a place that did that would be monstrous. So, go ahead and rejoice in the suffering of convicts. I mean, it's not like they're PEOPLE or something.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No, of course, there's no harm in those feelings. I mean, there would be, if they contributed to a carceral state that has over two million people in prison, assumes if you're accused of a crime you're guilty, and has pretty much given up on the idea of rehabilitation, trapping ex-cons into a life of second class citizenship and marginalization. But, of course, no such place like that exists, because a place that did that would be monstrous. So, go ahead and rejoice in the suffering of convicts. I mean, it's not like they're PEOPLE or something.
I thought we were talking about Weinstein. One bad dude. But now it's 2 million convicts. So, wow. That escalated faster than COVID-19.

If moving the goalposts is the only way you know how to win an argument, save us all some time and take your moral victory lap now.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The folks you are talking to are legit mentally ill and morally deranged.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I said back in post #29, the most vulnerable inmates are being released. Here's that cite again.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I thought we were talking about Weinstein. One bad dude. But now it's 2 million convicts. So, wow. That escalated faster than COVID-19.

If moving the goalposts is the only way you know how to win an argument, save us all some time and take your moral victory lap now.
It is amazing how he does that, amirite?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:30 PM

I hope no one else catches COVID19 ever again.

But if I were to make a list of people, ranked in order of how much I wish they don't catch it, then Weinstein would be near the bottom. Trump too.

How's that?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
As I said back in post #29, the most vulnerable inmates are being released. Here's that cite again.
Those are inmates in jails, not in prisons. And I'm not moving the goalposts here. I think it's a bad thing to be happy that another person is sick. Whether that person is Harvey Weinstein or the Pope, it doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter. And schadenfreude isn't a positive thing.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:34 PM

I’m not cheering, but I’m not upset about it the way I’d be if it was a less reprehensible person.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The folks you are talking to are legit mentally ill and morally deranged.
And you're qualified to make that diagnosis? Who do you think you are, Dr. Octopus?

Last edited by cochrane; 03-24-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:52 PM

Isn't karma supposed to be an ironic justification of the suffering one caused to others?

So Harvey exploited and molested vulnerable women who wanted to succeed. Wouldn't a fitting punishment be unconsentual butt stuff with his 300-pound cellmate Bubba?

Harvey got a disease because he was caught in an inescapable situation. I guess you could say his victims couldn't escape him either, but it just sounds so mundane in comparison.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those are inmates in jails, not in prisons.
You seem to be under the impression that all jails are small. Rikers Island, where Weinstein was previously incarcerated, can hold up to 15,000; yes, Rikers is one of the facilities that has been releasing inmates.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-24-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Isn't karma supposed to be an ironic justification of the suffering one caused to others?

So Harvey exploited and molested vulnerable women who wanted to succeed. Wouldn't a fitting punishment be unconsentual butt stuff with his 300-pound cellmate Bubba?

Harvey got a disease because he was caught in an inescapable situation. I guess you could say his victims couldn't escape him either, but it just sounds so mundane in comparison.
No, prison rape of anyone is not karma for anyone. Please don't perpetuate rape culture.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

The overcrowded state prison system in California will likely start releasing inmates.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post

To quote Rumsfeld, "You go to prison with the karma you have, not the karma you might want or wish to have at a later time."

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
As far as "vulnerable ones", what happens when those are ones who are in there for serious reasons, like rape or murder? Yes, I know it's jail, not prison, but surely they're not just letting them go without some kind of restriction?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
As far as "vulnerable ones", what happens when those are ones who are in there for serious reasons, like rape or murder? Yes, I know it's jail, not prison, but surely they're not just letting them go without some kind of restriction?
There is already a precedent set for releasing prisoners for humane reasons, usually medical ones. This seems like the same thing, just on a larger scale, and with an ulterior motive of general public health (trying to keep a prison from being a virus breeding zone).
Old 03-25-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
The relevant authorities are presumably working out plea deals.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Illinois Department of Corrections has been releasing vulnerable inmates from prisons by working out plea deals. Prior to release, they ensure the inmates will have a home to go to and will not present any violent threat to their communities.

Source: Gov. Pritzker daily live press conference which I'm listening to right now.