Old 03-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Stalag-17 was somewhat a comedy to begin with.
It was a drama with occasional comic scenes and situations (i.e., a dramedy even though the term didn't exist at the time). Also, given the setting, much of the comedy was gallows humor. In contrast, "Hogan's Heroes" was a broadly humored sitcom with a laugh track.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Crossposted from the "failed pilot" thread:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:57 PM

There are a lot of ridiculous ideas in popular entertainments people don't even stop to think about. I'm not even talking about movies like Sharknado, but popular, successful award-winning entertainment.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
For every show that makes it on the air, there are literally hundreds of pilots that are written, cast, and filmed, and don't make it.

I think some times the decision makers are not thinking in terms of what they like, but in terms of what they imagine some strawman audience would like. Much of the TV industry at the top is coastal urban educated upper-middle class people making shows for the rest of America, so you can imagine there is often a disconnect.

But as to your example of the marionette kung-fu fighter, well, that is just one aspect of show rather than the whole story. I can only imagine a late night creative session going off the rails - "What if they have a cat with laser beam eyes? Or OR OR a guy (giggle) who hangs by wires and uses kung fu moves to fight spaceships! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! No, really guys. We have to do that!"
On a slight tangent, there's a podcast called Dead Pilot's society, in which scripts that didn't make it to the pilot phase are read in front of an audience. There've been some that would have made entertaining shows. Episodes generally include interviews with the writers, and they'll often talk about the process and why certain shows get made and others don't.
Old Today, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Jesus that was painful
I thought "ok... maybe that's one way to interact with a sophisticated weapons system in space"and then she started freaking out and I couldn't watch any more.