Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Dopers who speculate they have (have already had) COVID-19

I've seen others speculating in other threads, so I thought we could all muse in one place...

Oh, I've definitely been sick, but it's fading, and I do think it's possible it's the Virus. (It's a fantasy in that it would be oh.so.much.better to have been through it than get it later...) Here's my story.

I've been working in Mobile, Alabama, where cases are scarce, but a couple weeks ago I went back to my hometown of Indianapolis, and my girlfriend was sick. She's a social worker who had been (but no longer is, thankfully) seeing people in their homes about their health benefits through a major insurer's Medicaid program. I.e., mixing with the peeps. Plenty of opportunity to pick something up. But she never speculated herself that it could be It, and she has had some other stuff off and on for a bit, so I didn't think much of that.

In terms of my symptoms, it's been a bit unusual. No fever (it seems, though I haven't had a thermometer on me and haven't taken my temp). A bit of a dry cough. But here's the kicker: in proportion to the lack of symptoms overall, I've felt shit-kicked by whatever this is. No, not the worst malaise I've ever had--not by far. But I've never had malaise this bad without a lot of other pretty bad symptoms to go along with it.

Achy. Lethargic. Pain in my eye sockets. And it's just felt different. Like a raging beast that didn't manage to take me down the way it wanted to but did get its claws in me a bit.

I could be totally wrong. This could be some generic "virus." But it seems to match pretty closely the "mild symptoms" I've read about. And I'm inclined to believe there are already a lot of people who have this thing and don't know it.

In any case, fingers crossed. I have not seen anyone around me get sick, which is good. (I went back to work after I got back from Indy, but the symptoms came on gradually and peaked the following weekend. I was also doing some pretty brutal interpretation on a galvanizing line, walking up and down stairs, and I think I confused the lethargy with fatigue from that. Again, no other big symptoms were present to say, "You are sick, dawg." If I did anything wrong, it was going back to work the *next* week, but I did stay home on Wednesday, thinking, "Wait, what if it is...")

Thanks for your thoughts on the above, and what's *your* story?

Last edited by Aeschines; 03-24-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:00 PM

I'm wondering myself - 2 weekends ago I had aches and pains, mild fever (~99.5 F), runny nose, productive coughs, moderate fatigue/malaise. And I could barely taste anything for a few days. This coincided with the first weekend when we had a high pollen count, and I'm allergic to almost every pollen they test for, so I attributed it to that. But in retrospect, fever and aches/pains aren't usually symptoms of seasonal allergies, and now I'm reading that losing sense of smell/taste is a common symptom of COVID-19. Whatever it was, I got over it, except for lingering usual seasonal allergy symptoms (including occasional coughs). My wife never got sick.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
I'm wondering myself - 2 weekends ago I had aches and pains, mild fever (~99.5 F), runny nose, productive coughs, moderate fatigue/malaise. And I could barely taste anything for a few days. This coincided with the first weekend when we had a high pollen count, and I'm allergic to almost every pollen they test for, so I attributed it to that. But in retrospect, fever and aches/pains aren't usually symptoms of seasonal allergies, and now I'm reading that losing sense of smell/taste is a common symptom of COVID-19. Whatever it was, I got over it, except for lingering usual seasonal allergy symptoms (including occasional coughs). My wife never got sick.
We humans get tons of viruses and feel like crap but just shrug it all off. Moreover, a single virus can give different people widely variant symptoms. We know COVID-19 can make you feel nothing at all--or kill you.

So I think your symptoms are compatible with the virus. Your wife may have gotten it too (or given it to you) but never felt symptoms at all. That's the problem with this thing. Lots of unknowns/unknowables.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 PM

I had what I suspect was a very, very bad cold that started in early February, still fighting off the effects to this day, most notably the ongoing cough. It is finally giving over. I don't think it was COVID-19 because no fever (although I didn't check), no body aches, no headache, no loss of sense of smell. Tons of snot, to not put too fine a point on it. Still, there is just that nagging notion...

This is exactly why we need widespread testing for everyone who wants it. If you both have had it, then you're two of the few who have some immunity and who could be cleared to safely return to the work force.

As soon as possible, I hope you can both get tests to confirm your suspicions.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:45 PM

Last fall, I had a cold (or so I thought), and a couple days after I thought I had recovered, it "came back." I just assumed that I caught a different cold virus, but I now think that I may very well have had COVID.

It wasn't severe enough that I would have had to stay home from work if I didn't already work at home; it just slowed me down a bit. Don't remember if I had any reduction in my senses of taste or smell, beyond anything that routinely goes along with a stuffy nose.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I had a sore throat last Friday. It went away pretty quickly - but you never know.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 PM

In January I had a mild cold that lasted three days, with some aches. Followed by a MONTH of a dry cough. Each morning I would hack up a large volume of yellow-green gunk. For a MONTH. I never took my temperature.

I travel three times a month (normally)

I can't help but wonder.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 PM

I came down with a cold that I got over two weeks ago. I also had a productive cough start the next day. I tend to get bronchitis when I get a cold, but it usually takes several days to kick in. I had a fever of about 100-101 for a while.

Its two weeks later and I still have some symptoms. Mostly a productive cough where my mucus is transparent, which I assume means the infection is cleared along with some fatigue.

Could be COVID, but I assumed it was just a cold.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 PM

This week I have had a lot of time on my hands, so I indulged in some long put off cleaning. In the process I raised enough dust, that my allergies kicked off. I was coughing, wheezing, a little short of breath, and feeling tired. It concerned me a little, so I stopped cleaning. I then magically got better. I guess I am allergic to dust(ing).
Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 PM

Interesting thread. Would people also mention their age?

In mid-December I had the Sore Throat from Hell. I've had lots of sore throats, but never one like that. Like swallowing razor blades. I went to a doc-in-a-box and they gave me antibiotics and steroids. The worst went away in about four days. But I lost my voice for about three weeks after that. And as Aspenglow mentioned, I blew my nose all day, every day. Went through tons of kleenex. Never had a fever to speak of, maybe 99-ish, from time to time. I didn't have all over muscle aches, but had pain in my right shoulder for weeks that was so severe that I asked my oncologist for an MRI, because I was afraid it was a recurrence of cancer. (It wasn't.) That pain continued through January and eventually went away. I didn't feel fully recovered till mid-February. I'm 71.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
I'm wondering myself - 2 weekends ago I had aches and pains, mild fever (~99.5 F), runny nose, productive coughs, moderate fatigue/malaise. And I could barely taste anything for a few days.
A runny nose is apparently quite uncommon with covid-19, like less than 5% of cases. Sore throats aren't super-common either. And productive coughs seem to be less common than a dry cough.

I think it is just as likely or probably more so you just got a chest cold. Remember it is the season for those things as well. It's a dilemma. Really anyone with a cold symptoms should be getting tested just to be sure, but due to the lack of test kits people like you with mild, controllable symptoms that don't completely overlap don't seem to be high enough up the priority chain yet( according to anecdotal evidence in my area, anyway ).

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-24-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:03 PM

I work at a university where there have now been four confirmed covid cases. About two weeks ago I started to get a sort throat that felt weird. Not worse than other sore throats I'd had, just odd. It concerned me enough that I bailed on my Sunday School commitments on the 15th, though I did go out a little bit in public generally for a couple of days after that. Tuesday I just completely stopped going anywhere, and also all of my family except high-school daughter who had important exams. Wednesday I developed a dry hacking cough which is still there now, and I can feel gunk in my lungs. As of a couple of days ago, my husband is also starting with the sore throat and a cough. No fever - but an eighth of the cases don't have a fever, and that's one long-ass incubation period

I had the opportunity to Discord-chat with one of my daughter's friends over online tabletop cards the other day. She and her mum are voluntary-quarantining with a completely different set of symptoms than me - fever, no cough. But we do agree on all having an experience of feeling worse for a couple of hours, then better for a couple of hours, and basically cycling through like that all day. Which is also kind of unusual.

My symptoms are nothing much, and in normal circumstances I wouldn't even think twice about them. I just think that at the moment I really have to assume that it's the virus, because someone has to have one of these ultra-mild cases that reports talk about, and I'm a prime candidate for that.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Really anyone with a cold symptoms should be getting tested just to be sure, but due to the lack of test kits people like you with mild, controllable symptoms that don't completely overlap don't seem to be high enough up the priority chain yet( according to anecdotal evidence in my area, anyway ).
My anecdotes just got confirmed minutes ago in an e-mail from my HMO - At this time, testing isnít recommended for people with mild or moderate symptoms...

It's a sad state of affairs.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
But we do agree on all having an experience of feeling worse for a couple of hours, then better for a couple of hours, and basically cycling through like that all day. Which is also kind of unusual.
Yes! Same thing here. I will feel really perky and then... Wow, this seems kinda, uh, dangerous, you know? Like I will crash really hard and then just be better. This has also struck me as different from other colds, etc., I have had.

I am 48, BTW.

Last edited by Aeschines; 03-24-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
We humans get tons of viruses and feel like crap but just shrug it all off. Moreover, a single virus can give different people widely variant symptoms. We know COVID-19 can make you feel nothing at all--or kill you.

So I think your symptoms are compatible with the virus. Your wife may have gotten it too (or given it to you) but never felt symptoms at all. That's the problem with this thing. Lots of unknowns/unknowables.
That’s what’s driving me crazy. I really don’t think I have it. I have a mild upper respiratory cold, maybe complicated by allergies. This is something I frequently get at around this time of year. But I seem a little bit sicker this time. I have a low grade headache. I sometimes nap in the afternoon and wake up disoriented, which usually only happens when I’m genuinely sick. But this is more likely caused by stress and my general sleep difficulties. I think.

I was in New York City at the beginning of the month I took a plane there and back and spent 3 days eating in restaurants, taking mass transit, and staying at a hotel. And when I got back I spent a lot of time visiting an adult nursing facility.

But it would be kind of a stretch on the timing, it was a full two weeks after my return- I think, the cold crept up on me slowly over several days. And I haven’t had a fever, not even low grade. I haven’t come close and I have been diligently checking.

Who knows. What I have isn’t that bad and doesn’t fit the symptoms but sometimes there are no symptoms at all so who knows. That is the loop I’m stuck in.

ETA : I’m 62.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-24-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
My anecdotes just got confirmed minutes ago in an e-mail from my HMO - At this time, testing isnít recommended for people with mild or moderate symptoms...

Wow, yeah. That's pretty lame, actually!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

I screened positive, but no test, ‘cause I’m not in the NBA. I do not in fact think I have it. But I’m obeying the quarantine.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:00 AM

At the beginning of this article is a chart that compares the symptoms of cold, flu, and COVID. The rest of the article is interesting, too, about one woman's experience.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thread, seeing that lots of people appear to have gotten it and don't know it.

My story, Mid-Feb: Kiddo on a round-the-world trip, and became sick while in Singapore. Spent 5 extra days recovering and Singaporean doc says probably sinus infection, free to travel home. No Covid test given.

Arrives at our house after traveling through 17 int'l airports. Five days later I'm sick. Seems like normal cold, except dry (unproductive) cough, and the final days hacking up unusual amount from lungs. Since I have almost no sense of smell anyway, can't account for that symptom. Decide to isolate for 2 weeks just to be sure. Not pure quarantine, just very minimal contact and insane cleaning around my environs.

No one else gets sick, and my voluntary 2 weeks are up today. Was it or wasn't it? May never know, but the last half was really weird for a cold.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM

My gf (61) and I (62) returned from the Caribbean January 18/19 2020 when all this was first hitting the news. Our flight out of Sint Maarten was delayed, so we missed our connection and spent a night in Philadelphia.

A day or two after arriving home, we both started feeling blah. I assume I had a fever (chills, couldn't get warm). My gf had a sore throat followed by a cough that kept her out of work for 5 days. After two days of fever I developed severe diarrhea that lasted two days. A few days after my recovery I developed a cough that lingered for a couple of weeks.

We both considered the possibility that we'd had "the virus", but the lack of spread to others we were in contact with makes me question this.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Not me, I somehow avoided whatever they had, but my brother (42), SIL (50), two nieces (8,10), mom (68) and dad (69) all had something in late February & early March. They all found it very hard to shake. Fevers for sure, coughing and bed rest helped.

Dad has COPD and emphysema and ended up in the hospital for a week, 3 days in ICU. He tested positive for Influenza A, and didn't die, so I am staying firm on the idea that the family didn't have covid-19 but indeed had Influenza A because dad didn't die.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:16 PM

I have been dizzy for a few days, Lay in bed just tasting a new virus in my body. Dr said no test for me. No other symptoms really except for possibly breathing slightly impaired, but I don't know.

For me I feel I had it. But in this situation there are a lot of psychological needs and compensations at play. I've been isolated for a week. I think you just start to try to move past the event and into the next, which in the best scenario is that I have a mild case and can stop the worrying.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

They have changed our shifts to 12 hours so Iím working 7-7 overnights. It becomes very difficult to tell if Iím starting to get sick because the lack of sleep makes me feel ill all of the time.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
For me I feel I had it. But in this situation there are a lot of psychological needs and compensations at play. I've been isolated for a week. I think you just start to try to move past the event and into the next, which in the best scenario is that I have a mild case and can stop the worrying.
I totally understand. At times I think I'd rather get it and get dying over with instead of dealing with this constant state of dread.

The other night I was reading and thinking about going to bed. I coughed a few times and my throat felt a little raw. Immediately I thought corona. I was a little short of breath. Then I remembered I'd just smoked some NYC Diesel. I got some water and went to bed.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:

What really sucks about that is the lack of testing makes it hard to measure how many people are actually infected and then determine what percentage ended needing intensive care and how high the actual mortality rate is.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I think you just start to try to move past the event and into the next, which in the best scenario is that I have a mild case and can stop the worrying.
I think that's the thinking, yeah.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
What really sucks about that is the lack of testing makes it hard to measure how many people are actually infected and then determine what percentage ended needing intensive care and how high the actual mortality rate is.
Yes, it's an unnerving part of all this.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:11 PM

I don't think I have it. But I'm throwing this anecdote on the pile re: lack of testing kits. A judge in the courthouse where I work, which has been deemed essential and remained open, has been diagnosed as having it on the basis of his symptoms, but either hasn't been tested or hasn't gotten the results (we heard about his diagnosis a couple days ago.) They've suspended all in-person visits between parents and children in this court system, and we can't even test this guy?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:11 PM

It's difficult to tell the difference between normal aging aches and pains and what might be something more serious. Every time I feel a twinge, I have to stop and wonder. It's making me just a little bit crazy.

I do have something. I think it's just a sinus infection, but I can't know for sure. I've had sinus surgery before for chronic issues, so who knows? My eyes were really bothering me though a few days ago and I had a bit of a headache along with feeling quite chilled.

I've been very diligent about keeping myself isolated from others. I'm even ordering food online for now, which is costing me more money I can ill afford, but I'm not taking a chance on spreading this unknowingly.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM

Cross posted from one of those threads:

I don't know anyone who has been tested, however, I've been in self/company-mandated quarantine for the last couple of days. Here's the story ... started to feel a sore throat somewhere around last Thursday but kind of shrugged it off. Over the weekend my glands were so swollen it hurt to touch my throat on the outside. Since then they've gone down, but I still have the sore throat. That is the only symptom I can positively identify. I do have a cough, but then again I have this chronic post-nasal drip so I always have a cough. It's hard to tell if my coughing remains productive, so I guess I have one and a have symptoms.

I was scheduled off on Monday. On Tuesday I called out due to the ol' "abundance of caution." Today I decided to do the same mostly out of paranoia. Every little body ache that I can't nail down, or every little twinge I feel in my noggin and I start freaking out. So far I've had no issues breathing. I spoke to work today and they insisted I remain home until I have at least 24 hours symptom free. They've generously provided all employees with 80 extra hours of "pandemic pay" to use when needed ... and I need.

Sheltered in place. I've only been out to pick up shit via drive-thru's and to walk Bob. This whole thing is threatening my mental health. I was working hard to get my shit together this last year and this is really putting a funk in shit.

I remain functional, alert and optimistic that I'm not going to die anytime soon, but I'll keep the masses posted just in case I'm wrong.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Sheltered in place. I've only been out to pick up shit via drive-thru's and to walk Bob. This whole thing is threatening my mental health. I was working hard to get my shit together this last year and this is really putting a funk in shit.

I remain functional, alert and optimistic that I'm not going to die anytime soon, but I'll keep the masses posted just in case I'm wrong.
Sorry, man. I'm rooting for you, as I'm sure others here are too.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM

My wife and I both had moderate colds, no fever, slight soar throat, some chest involvement. It never got very bad, but kept lingering, going away, and then coming back for over a week, which isn't the way my colds normally go. Its probably just a regular cold mixed with hypochondria about the virus, but just in case we are quarantining ourselves from time of verifiable symptoms + 2 weeks.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 PM

In all likelihood no.

Except that I have slight seasonal or dust allergies that occasionally cause me to sneeze. Plus it's been cold and damp here, which tends to cause my nose to run a bit and a slight "post-nasal drip" cough. And every so often I feel like I might be getting short of breath, although it feels more like a sort of mild anxiety attack.

So clearly I need immediate medical attention.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:

A friend of mine was sick all last week with typical Covid 19 symptoms. Itís very fortunate that he was able to get tested, because it turns out that it was just the regular flu. Without testing, he probably would have assumed he had Covid 19 and had now acquired immunity.

Testing is SO important. Iím just baffled by the current situation.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

In January I was out of work for two straight weeks, and I thought it was flu.

Worst I'd had, since the 1970s.
Now?
I dunno....
Old 03-27-2020, 12:26 AM

I'm almost 70, and I have asthma. This season I got something very mild. No fever, so it's unlikely this was COVID-19.

For my whole life, every winter (with very few exceptions) I get a cold followed by bronchitis, with no fever (so not the flu). The very runny nose starts, then proceeds to a sore throat. The sore throat gets worse and seems to inch downward over 2-3 days. Then I start coughing.

2 days after Xmas, i came down with a sore throat but (as I said) no fever. I apprehensively waited for the soreness to move downward, but it seemed to stay at my pharynx. I was sneezing a bit and my asthma got a bit worse. My eyes were also irritated for several days. All of this never got anywhere near bad enough to call my doctor.

I improved slowly over the course of a week, and then I was back to normal.

Weirdly, this recurred starting on March 14, when the lockdowns were just starting to take off (my library closed after that date). Again, I was fine in a week.

Whatever this was, I'd exchange a yearly bout for my yearly bronchitis every time. If this actually was COVID-19, it's a seriously atypical case.