Old 03-14-2020, 03:30 PM

I want a kitten

I have a cat, Mickey, almost 7 years old. Rudy, my beloved Rudy, died a couple of months ago. Mickey has been a little weird since then, he is upset a lot, meowing and mewing, mostly mewing. Now, they were never that close, they didn't sleep together and in the last couple of months Rudy hated Mickey, he would hiss and growl any time Mickey came near him.

So I don't know if that is why Mickey is upset all the time. There are only two other possibilities. One is the food I am giving Mickey, for over a year he had diarrhea, finally found a dry food, premium, after trying a dozen, that he would eat. And I would feed them in different rooms, because Rudy would not eat the premium dry food. I am wondering if maybe Mickey was eating the Fancy Feast that Rudy liked and I didn't realize it. I tried to monitor who was eating what but I could not watch them every second.

And so maybe Mickey is meowing and mewing all the time because he wants Fancy Feast.

The other possibility is my new TV. 55 inch, but Mickey has lived his entire life with a 42 inch TV, the new one is not that much bigger.

So it is either the food or Rudy, Mickey lived the first 7 years of his life never being alone all day when I went to work. And giving Mickey Fancy Feast again, no, I cannot come home to several piles of liquid crap every day.

So I am hoping that if a get a kitten, Mickey will like being a father and that will calm him down. And I would love a new kitten. I debated about it when Rudy died, I knew I would get one eventually, now I want one right now.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:43 PM

Has Mickey seen the Vet?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Has Mickey seen the Vet?
Not yet but soon if it doesn't improve. He is eating, he has energy, last night he was running around the apartment.You know how cats suddenly decide they need to be in another room, RIGHT NOW. He was chasing a piece of cellophane later. He is on my lap now and calm and I poked him and he has no pain anywhere.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:39 PM

Micky might well want a friend.

I'd be very cautious about introducing a young kitten to an adult tom, however, even to a neutered tom. Some tomcats will attack and even kill young kittens. I once had to keep two kits shut up in a separate room for a couple of months until they got old enough that the adult neutered tom was willing to accept them -- though they then became great friends. (Because they were shut up together, the kittens were all right. One kitten would have been very lonely, and maybe had its socialization screwed up, because I could only be in there a couple of hours a day.)

So I'd try an older kit, six months old or older.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Well the thing about Mickey is that he is not a Tom. He still has his balls. I got him as a rescue, I should say my wife and I got him, as a rescue. He was suppossed to be 6 weeks old but I think he was not. And my wife died about a few months after, about the time we would get him neutered, and in those months after I just didn't think about it. And there was never any need, he did not start spraying etc. He is a tiny cat, the proverbial runt of the litter. And he never craps in the litter box, he pees there, but he has never crapped in the box despite my numerous attempts with different litter, multiple boxes. One for each cat. Didn't matter, at one point I had 4 litter boxes, 2 for Rudy and 2 for Mickey. I just think Mickey is a cat who never fully developed, he was taken away from his mother too soon. And when we got him, we found out he was infested with fleas. Well, you get a cat from Craigslist, that is what you can get.

Rudy was a big Maine Coon. And Mickey "looked up" to him. He is not an aggessivve cat. I don't worry that Mickey will attack a new kitten.

But as I write this, Mickey is sitting on the floor looking up at me. This is after I gave in and put out some wet food that was left over from when Rudy died. He had a few bites and that was it. I am going to give in again and get some Fancy Feast tomorrow and see if he will eat it. And if he does, I will have to live with cleaning up diarreaha. I would rather do that than have him complaing all the time. He is breaking my heart.

I didn't mention earlier - When he is upset, if I lie down on the couch to watch TV, he lies down right beside me and is happy, and he sleeps there all night long, and if I go to the little library room in my apartement, he sits on the arm of the chair and is happy.

Oh and BTW, a year ago I took him to a vet for the diarreaha and they found no problems. It is not a medical issue I am sure. This behavior started immediatley after Rudy died.

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 03-14-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:38 PM

I just found a package of Temptations cat treats. Put some down and he is chowing down. It is the food, it has to be. Have to find a way to gradually get him to like better food that doesn't upset his bowels. And mine
Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 PM

Well fuck. He ate the treats I gave him, he is still complaining. Put some more down, he doesn't want them. It is not the food.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:53 PM

I'm no expert but I have it on some authority that male cats are prone to urinary tract infections. Get him to a vet. It's treatable but may require an overnight stay.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 PM

Vet visit just to be sure. But even if two cats didn't appear to be great friends, it's quite possible that Mickey doesn't like being along.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavalla View Post
Vet visit just to be sure. But even if two cats didn't appear to be great friends, it's quite possible that Mickey doesn't like being along.
I think that is it. He was taken away from his mother too young and for his entire life, until Rudy died, he has never been alone for 9 hours a day. I thought of this just after Rudy died, and I could understand Mickey being upset when I first got home, but why does he still get upset a few hours later? Well, because I don't lie down on the couch to watch TV when I first get home, and I don't read for a few hours after that.

I hope it is something so simple as he just needs constant attention. Will try, if not a trip to the vet will happen.

Who knows the mind of a cat? We are only just learning about animals and their minds. I read an article the other day that said that rats can have empathy for other rats.

Rats!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Going to the vet should be the first thing to try, in my opinion. Ruling out physical problems should come first. It might even be dental problems which are very common in cats. No way to know but the vet could narrow it down. Much better idea to do this before introducing another cat.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:54 PM

Concur, the proper order for behavior changes in cats is: vet first, then investigate food, then address companionship.

Vet first because cats - being smallish predators not at the top of the food chain - will instinctively hide symptoms of illness or injury. By the time you realize they're sick, there's frequently little time to address the problem.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Well the thing about Mickey is that he is not a Tom. He still has his balls.

[ . . . ] he did not start spraying etc. He is a tiny cat, the proverbial runt of the litter. [ . . . ] I just think Mickey is a cat who never fully developed, he was taken away from his mother too soon.
A Tom is a male cat, with or without balls. A full tom has his balls; a neutered tom doesn't.

Taking a kitten away from the mother too soon can mess up their social development, but is highly unlike to affect whether they sexually mature.

Not all full tomcats spray. Not all full tomcats are aggressive to other male cats. Behavior varies considerably from cat to cat.

A vet. could tell whether his balls have dropped properly. Occasionally they don't.

Quote:
He is not an aggessivve cat. I don't worry that Mickey will attack a new kitten.
The thing is that there's something about very small kittens that seems to utterly freak some tomcats out; whether or not neutered or not neutered. That factor is unlikely to be triggered by a somewhat older kitten.

No matter how non-aggressive Mickey's always been: please, please be careful with first introductions until you see how things are going. Keep the new feline shut in a separate room at first (not the one that Mickey usually sleeps or eats in, if possible) and let them get used to each other's scent under the door. If there's a lot of growling and hissing, wait till it dies down. Be present at first introduction, possibly with a bucket of water handy; do not hold/restrain either cat at first introduction. Some hissing and swatting is normal; the water's only in case things get really out of hand. Don't leave them alone together for a few days after first introduction, unless they're already sleeping curled up together.

Quote:
When he is upset, if I lie down on the couch to watch TV, he lies down right beside me and is happy, and he sleeps there all night long, and if I go to the little library room in my apartement, he sits on the arm of the chair and is happy.
That reads to me very much as if the problem is indeed that he's lonely, misses the other cat, and wants more company. Nevertheless I'd take him to the vet. first. A clean bill of health a year ago is no guarantee that he has no physical problem now; and he could both be lonely and also have a physical problem; also, he should have a recheck annually in any case and probably needs booster inoculations by now.

Presuming that you do get a second cat, which I'd recommend: unless the new one comes with vet. papers, your first stop, probably before you get home but certainly before you let the two make contact, should be the vet. for the new cat. You don't want to spread possible earmites, fleas, infectious diseases to Mickey.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:29 PM

It think he is fine. I found this box of pouches of premium food I used to give to Rudy, and have been givng Mickey small portions twice a day. He likes it and and when he is finished eating what I give him, he meows for a minute wanting more, but nothing major

And now I remember that he has always been a cat that complains from time to time. I know this because I remember our "conversations" way before Rudy died. He would be meowing about something, who knows what, and I would say, gently, "Shut up, Mickey." He would meow again, and I would say, as in The Big Lewbowski, but in a friendly voice, "Shut the fuck up, Mickey." He would meow again and I would say, "You don't listen very well, do you?"

This happened many times, I now remember. He's just an insecure little boy.

Cats. Can't live with them, can't throw them out the window.

Love this t-shirt -

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=5E9D8D5E
Old 03-22-2020, 12:43 AM

Wait until you get him thoroughly checked out, blood tests and all.

He may like being alone and is stressed from having all the house to himself now, as he is redefining his territory. Even dominants cats will allow submissive ones a degree of space, which he now has to take over. He could be stressing from figuring out how to claim it as his.

Two cats living in a state of uneasy peace isn't good for anyone. And if he won't accept another cat, no point getting one.

Last edited by Carryon; 03-22-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
Wait until you get him thoroughly checked out, blood tests and all.

He may like being alone and is stressed from having all the house to himself now, as he is redefining his territory. Even dominants cats will allow submissive ones a degree of space, which he now has to take over. He could be stressing from figuring out how to claim it as his.

Two cats living in a state of uneasy peace isn't good for anyone. And if he won't accept another cat, no point getting one.
I think you nailed it. Territory. I have a studio apartment, my computer is on a table that is on the same wall as my TV, a couple of feet away. More often than not, I am sitting at the computer when the TV is on. I generally have somehing on TV that I am casually watching. When I am doing this Mickey is usually sleeping by the heater. And I have noticed in the past week working from home that when he wakes up he is usually a little cranky. And he will come over and sit by my feet but will not jump up into my lap. If I pick him up and put him on my lap he will stay there. He never did this before, he hates being picked up.

Rudy used to be the one who always sat on my lap. Mickey feels like he needs an invitation. If I am lying on the couch watcing TV, and he wakes up, he'll just jump right up there and lie down. And he sleeps there all night long.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 AM

ETA. Rudy never slept on the couch with me. Mickey always has, on the L section of the couch.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM

My 18 year old tomcat is a whiner, too. I've lived with room mates who also had cats, and Skittles generally gets along with cats very well (he teases female cats more than he does other male cats, but isn't violent toward either, not even kittens). And when there has been another male cat around, he's generally pretty quiet. Without one though, he wails in the early morning when I'm trying to sleep. Even after he gets fed, he continues to wail for a bit. I honestly think it's anxiety - he's been on kitty Prozac in the past. I'd absolutely love another cat, but I'm in a small apartment and really don't want to spend the extra money for double the food, litter, vet bills, etc. Plus, in case he DOESN'T get along with another cat, I don't want to introduce more stress to an older cat (even though, trust me, he does NOT look or act as old as he is). Just not something I want to risk.

Anyway, if he's still acting off, I want to second what others are saying and take him to the vet. If you can afford it, it's worth checking up on. And if he has a clean bill of health, that's awesome. Remember that the vet can still have suggestions for you to try even if Mickey is physically just fine. Vets aren't only there for when a cat is sick or injured