Old 03-23-2020, 12:03 AM

I'm living off of my stash, which includes a few tins of Spam. So, it was Spam day.

I thought I remembered reading on the dope that Spam sauteed in olive oil comes out like Foie Gras. I've never had that, but why let that stop me from living like French royalty? I heated up the olive oil and fried slices of various thicknesses. Thin enough and it takes on a bacon-y or jerky texture, and it really isn't bad. My biggest problem wasn't that I was eating a whole can of hot Spam, but that the oil splattered all over at what seemed the necessary temperature.

For that reason, I am open to a new application for Spam. Also, I remembered after the whole thing was over that it is actually braunschweiger that is supposed to taste like Foie Gras when fried in olive oil, and that using Spam had been a fool's errand.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
I'm going to finally attempt trying (and making) chocolate hummus.
Chocolate... hummus? I'm sorry, but while each of those words is perfectly clear by itself, when you put them together all I hear is static, with a faint undertone of unspeakable eldritch chanting.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I've tried "dessert humus" and it kind of weirded me out. It was a Madagascar vanilla humus.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I made the chocolate hummus, but I
I liked it more without the chocolate (cocoa) so I left it out. It's sweetened with maple syrup. It's quite good.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I've tried "dessert humus" and it kind of weirded me out. It was a Madagascar vanilla humus.
It's better without the vanilla (words I've probably never said before).
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 AM

Why would you want to sweeten hummus!?
Old 03-23-2020, 06:59 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We've got the freezer part of the fridge and a small (think under-counter size) freezer, and I just inventoried both. Apart from some rather sad-looking brats, there was nothing weird or ancient to be found. Mostly chicken and pork, some shrimp and fish, one meatloaf, and lots of frozen veggies. I've had lots of luck finding fresh produce locally, and I've overloaded the fridge, so we're working that supply down.

Last night, I made a really tasty broccoli/cauliflower/carrot gratin - it came out lots better than I'd expected (compared to a previous recipe that was nasty.) So it's now in rotation. I've got a head of cabbage that I'd like to use to make stuffed cabbage, but unless I find some ground beef today, it'll have to be prepared as a side dish tonight or tomorrow. Any suggestions?

I have to say, I'm enjoying meals at home - I hadn't realized exactly how often we ate out till recently. It's been a challenge finding new variations on old themes.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Yeah. I like chocolate, I like vanilla, I like garlic.

I’ve never considered mixing either of the first two with the last, and I don’t think I’m missing out on anything.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't object to trying chocolate hummus ... but while I have all the ingredients in my house, I wouldn't make it with my valuable supplies. Even in good times I am averse to food waste, and since I really really don't want to throw out supplies right now, I wouldn't risk making something that I might decide tasted horrible.

But I am fairly adventurous with seasoning. The other day I made something that tasted both delicious and original; I was very pleased. I made a vegetable medley of onions, zucchini and a mix of green, red, and yellow peppers sautéed in olive oil with a bit of salt. I added some chopped broccoli, string beans and shiitake mushrooms to the sautéed mix along with the soaking water from the mushrooms and let the broccoli and string beans steam a bit. Added a can of drained black beans.

The adventurous part was: I seasoned the vegetables with a huge amount of tarragon and a generous sprinkle of sumac.

Mixed together with freshly cooked quinoa, the result was beautiful, nutritious, and not only tasty, but different.

I wonder if that's the only time sumac and tarragon have been put together in a dish.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The New York Times is allowing free access to their recipes. This article, called Easy Recipes to Cook During Your Quarantine has some good links. I'm making one tonight.
We get the Times so we have access to the recipes, and we got the supplements they do in February full of recipes. Last year it was no recipe recipes, this year one pot. We've made lots of things from them. They are easy, but I'm not sure how inexperienced cooks would do with them, since they don't give a lot of explicit directions.

Since we cook every night anyhow, not much change for us. We inventory the freezer every Thursday before we shop on Friday so things don't get lost, which does not mean that things don't stay there for a long, long time.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I know, it sounds awful, doesn't it? I've been seeing and hearing of chocolate hummus for awhile, including at Trader Joe's. I couldn't bring myself to buy it. But I thought I'd make a very small batch to see what it was all about. I figured that with enough tahini in it, it would be similar to halvah.

Like I said above, I preferred the finished version without chocolate and without vanilla. I don't think of it as "dessert" hummus, but I really don't know what I'd use it for, other than on toast. At any rate, I used garbanzo beans, tahini, maple syrup, a bit of salt, and water to thin it a little. It was definitely better than it sounds.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:41 AM

Mystery freezer item: Dairy-free pesto. Had it last night on GF spaghetti with vegetables. Froze some stock and rice.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM

Not the freezer, but the back of the odds and ends drawer.

At Christmas my husband received a corporate gift of pasta with a spice mixture. You're supposed to mix a spoonful of the spice mixture to water, olive oil and tomato puree. I stuck it in a drawer and sort of forgot about it.

Not so bad. However, I think there's about 10 meals worth, so if we have it once a week, that'll last us until end of May. Should take care of some of the dried pasta I have sitting around.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Today I defrosted chicken broth and I've cut up some ginger into it. Later, I'll make quinoa with this.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 AM

Last night was shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, and air fryer French fries. The shrimp came from a five pound bag in the freezer, purchased for last xmas but never used.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Last Wednesday I made Spicy Beef Rendang, an Indonesian stew that is a favorite in our house (even the kids like it) but it's normally weekend-only, since it needs to be slow-cooked for about 4 hours, and carefully stirred every 20 minutes or so. I had a big chunk of chuck roast I was defrosting, I found two last cans of coconut milk in the back of the pantry, and most of the proper spices.

I was doing a text thread with my sisters, and sent them the recipe. They said "lemongrass stalks? Lime leaves? I don't have anything like that during normal times". I said I had to use dried lemongrass, and substitute the juice of a slightly aging lime in my fridge for the lime leaves. Which led to them making fun of how I'm persevering through such hardships as resorting to dried lemongrass, the horrors.

...which led to me saying "hey, that gives me an idea for a new website, 'Fine Dining During the Apocalypse'-- 'Some say raccoon is the best substitute for beef, but personally I prefer squirrel for this dish'."

Anyway here is the Rendang recipe I go by if anyone is interested. As mentioned, it takes time but is totally worth the wait, if you like this type of spicy food, and can scrounge up the ingredients. I alter the recipe a little from this- I add slivered almonds because the restaurant where my wife and I discovered Rendang had almonds in it, and I add a splash of soy sauce and/or fish sauce for umami:
https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/spicy-beef-rendang/
Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Nice. I actually have some fresh lemongrass and lime leaves looking for a use, but I'm all out of coconut milk!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Nice. I actually have some fresh lemongrass and lime leaves looking for a use, but I'm all out of coconut milk!
Aw, that's a shame because full-fat coconut milk is key for this recipe. Might be worth it to don the hazmat gear and trek out to the nearest market!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM

Mmmmmm. Rendang is practically the national dish of Indonesia - everyone loves it. I haven't tried the version solost linked to but it seems about right. Good choice for shelter-in-place cooking.

Last night I made something I was extremely doubtful about (I just wanted to use up some ingredients before they died) and whaddaya know, it was delicious. I thawed some frozen extra-firm tofu, cut it into chunks, and marinated it in - are you ready for this - olive juice, tabasco, and a splash of soy. I sautéed the tofu briefly in olive oil after it had marinated a couple of hours.

Then I caramelized some onions, stirred in shredded fresh cabbage until it wilted, and added the tofu cubes. I didn't add any other vegetables because I was afraid it might be terrible and didn't want to waste any of my good stuff.

My original plan had been to put it into spring roll wrappers but I wanted to eat while it was still hot and that seemed weird, so I used flour tortilla wrappers instead. I'll use it for spring rolls tonight now that it the leftovers are in the fridge.

Lo and beyond, it was incredibly delicious. I had to stop myself from gobbling it all up and making myself sick from overeating! The tofu cubes were little flavor bombs of salty-spicy-sour, the cabbage was just the right texture of cooked-but-crunchy, and the onions rounded out the flavors, with the wrapper adding a bit of carb satisfaction.

Not sure it will be quite as wonderful in a spring roll wrapper but tonight I'll find out. I wonder if it will need a dipping sauce?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM

We have lemongrass growing in a pot in our sun room. People look at it and wonder wtf it is. We had a kaffir lime tree for 5 years or so then one day it just up and died.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Sauerkraut and potato pancakes with applesauce and Toffuti sour cream (half a container of leftover sauerkraut, old potatoes, applesauce with an upcoming expiration date).

Romas and tofu defrosting; tomatoes, broth, and rice frozen for later.

Last edited by susan; 03-28-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Last night was shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, and air fryer French fries. The shrimp came from a five pound bag in the freezer, purchased for last xmas but never used.

I did air fryer fries & we hated them. But Ima gonna do some shrimp that way
Old 03-29-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I did air fryer fries & we hated them. But Ima gonna do some shrimp that way
Details on your failed fries? Mine are truly the best fries ever. I cut a potato into "steak fry" sized pieces. Then I soak them in water for 30 minutes or so. I lay them out on a towel to air dry, then toss them with just a bit of oil, salt, pepper. Airfry as recommended (my fryer has a frenchfry menu setting) tossing every 4 minutes. I also like to put some onion slices in with the potatoes.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I have had good luck with tater tots--toss the serving in, pre heat, shake, then cook for an aditional 8 minutes.

They come out fine!

Last edited by The Vorlon; 03-29-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
I have had good luck with tater tots--toss the serving in, pre heat, shake, then cook for an aditional 8 minutes.

They come out fine!
We don't really do tater tots any longer, but we adore broccoli or cauliflower tots, can't remember the brand, but they also have a really good broccoli and cheese tot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
...which led to me saying "hey, that gives me an idea for a new website, 'Fine Dining During the Apocalypse'-- 'Some say raccoon is the best substitute for beef, but personally I prefer squirrel for this dish'."
Sort of how my family cabbage soup recipe commentary - made it with everything from squirrel, rabbit, deer, cow, pig, fowl and salmon, and I really wouldn't reccomend salmon =)

Hm. Squirrel is in the 'tastes like chicken' class of meats - possum, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, snake and some reptiles [frogs taste like fishhy chicken with a rubbery texture, sort of the same as gator but snake sort of has that texture without the fishy] Though fowl all tastes similar, you can compare/contrast light meat/dark meat chicken. Some is also leaner and some richer - pheasant is dark meat lean, duck is dark meat rich/oily.

Beef analogy is more ostrich/buffalo/beef/deer ... I personally would lump horse in, but Americans have a bias against eating horse [shame, rich less fatty than beef, quite nice actually.]