Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM

It looks like all the dogs in my neighborhood are amazed and delighted by all the extra walkies that they're getting. I'm seeing a lot of smiling, panting dog faces being walked by our house for the last few days.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:58 AM

UK: the government have just added Off Licenses (liquor stores) to the list of essential shops which can stay open.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
South Korea has provided a road map to contagion control. That should be the best news of all, but we're too wrapped up in our own ego to think South Korea has anything to teach "the best public health system in the world."
that's not "we" that's republicans. Include me out.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
It looks like all the dogs in my neighborhood are amazed and delighted by all the extra walkies that they're getting. I'm seeing a lot of smiling, panting dog faces being walked by our house for the last few days.
Thank you for that adorable mental image! Here, too. Sitting at my desk, which looks out on the front lawn, many, many dog walkers, and often the same ones a couple of times a day. This is a very low density population area, so you can walk your dog (or yourself) and never get closer than half a block to anyone.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The rate of growth in Canada of symptomatic cases is no longer exponential; it has clearly not been exponential for about a week, coinciding with the general adoption of work closures and social distancing orders.

Still too early to get happy, but it's nice to see.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-19-cases.html

ETA: It's also worth noting testing is proceeding a little faster than it was before. Canada has tested between 120,000 and 150,000 people, depending which source I'm reading; all sources suggest we're currently administering 10,000 tests a day and trying to do more.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-25-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Will testing show that you have had it, but no longer do? If I had it, but no longer do, I can't spread it?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Will testing show that you have had it, but no longer do? If I had it, but no longer do, I can't spread it?
Yes, but it is only in the UK right now:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9424741.html

Quote:
New 15-minute home test kits for coronavirus will be made available to the British public within days, said a Public Health England (PHE) director.

Thousands of tests will be sold in chemists such as Boots or delivered by Amazon to people with symptoms who are self-isolating as soon as next week.

Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the national infection service at PHE, told MPs on the science and technology committee once the tests are cleared, they will be “distributed to the community”.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said the government bought millions of the tests on Tuesday and is ordering millions more.

The antibody test involves pricking a finger and analysing a drop of blood in a device that looks like a pregnancy test. It will only tell the person if they have had Covid-19, not if they currently have it.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Canada has reported at least 2792 cases and 27 deaths. This with one million Canadians recently returning from overseas in a massive repatriation effort. Most people are taking social distancing seriously. This implies a mortality rate below 1%. Since the number of cases is possibly 10 times higher, even much lower.

“Non-essential” (as defined by gov’t) stores and services have been closed for two weeks. A massive funding package was introduced, and after some serious power overreach was taken out, passed.

The price of gas, following collapse of the local market and oil prices, is 65 cents a litre. Was it fifteen years since this has been the case?

The tough work is still ahead and one wants to see patterns remain positive for a week before drawing any conclusions. We know things come in waves.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

If you had it, but no longer do, does that mean its safe for you to, like, deliver groceries for quarantined neighbors? That seems a mite shaky to me, like I can pick up the virus and bring it to someone else, even if it won't hurt me any.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
The price of gas, following collapse of the local market and oil prices, is 65 cents a litre. Was it fifteen years since this has been the case?
The low price of gas is only slightly caused by the reduction in driving due to the coronavirus. Mostly it's due to Saudi Arabia flooding the world market with oil. As far as I can tell, it's just a coincidence it's happening during the pandemic.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
If you had it, but no longer do, does that mean its safe for you to, like, deliver groceries for quarantined neighbors? That seems a mite shaky to me, like I can pick up the virus and bring it to someone else, even if it won't hurt me any.
You are certainly much safer, assuming you know you are way past the point you would have fought it off.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 AM

It is hurting the Nuts and Rednecks Association .
Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM

Here's some good news, but only for very few people:
Inmates’ Executions Are Put Off Because of Pandemic: Texas has issued 60-day stays for two men scheduled to die this month and several other states are weighing similar action, as the coronavirus crisis disrupts official business.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prisone...=hp_listb_pos2

Last edited by PastTense; 03-26-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 PM

I like to try to list countries with no cases at all. So far, I have
Burundi
Vanuatu
Solomon Islands

Last edited by psychobunny; 03-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM

Also Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Yemen.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 PM

No test, no cases.

Yes, other factors are involved in low gas prices and oil industry malaise. But not long ago gas was nearly twice the price, and one seeks good news where one can.

Canada is up to 4000 cases and 37 deaths. This seems better than many countries, but if Canada recovers quicker than the US, our economy is still screwed. The good news is the CFR is decreasing. Hospitals are still low on supplies: now Canada is being criticized for donating 16 tons of PPE to China in February and destroying its Ontario mask stockpile. These things happen, I guess, but China needs to release political prisoners pronto.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Singapore has it and I THINK South Korea. I’d love to know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 PM

2 notes:

According to University of Washington the peak epidemic level will be mid April, and reach below pandemic levels in June with it gone by July:

https://news.trust.org/item/20200326232240-2yx1f

This of course will vary state by state.

Also I read another report that New York City animal shelters are all but empty.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:

It's $1.29/gallon or 34 cents a liter in my area.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I went to the store today and there was - finally - plenty of toilet paper on the shelves.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 PM

We are flattening the curve.

America is 40% less mobile than usual and this is reducing the spread of the virus.
So it looks like mitigation efforts are making a difference.

This is good news.
If we don't keep it up, bad news is just around the corner.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Now that India has been shut down, it seems that the number of spam calls saying I'm to be arrested for Social Security fraud or something has gone way down.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Should be very helpful if it works as promised, and especially if it can be made widely available:

https://www.mytwintiers.com/health/c...-in-5-minutes/

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has cleared a new rapid test from Abbott Laboratories, which the company says can detect the coronavirus in about 5 minutes.

Medical device maker Abbott announced the emergency clearance of its cartridge-based test in a release Friday night. The company says that its test delivers a negative result in 13 minutes when the virus is not detected.[ . . . ]

The company said it would launch the test next week to select health care facilities that deliver urgent care.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hospitals are still low on supplies: now Canada is being criticized for donating 16 tons of PPE to China in February and destroying its Ontario mask stockpile. These things happen, I guess, but China needs to release political prisoners pronto.
But China has now returned the favour: “China donates thousands of medical masks, personal protective equipment to Canada”

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/pol...1_4872541.html
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Like other major U.S. cities, Chicago has seen a dip in crime with the COVID-19 pandemic disrupting virtually every aspect of the country’s way of life.

Despite beginning 2020 with crime spikes, particularly related to gun violence, Chicago saw a sudden single-week drop of nearly 20% in major crimes in mid-March, records show. That was just as much activity in Chicago was slowing.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...cdm-story.html
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
I like to try to list countries with no cases at all. So far, I have
Burundi
Vanuatu
Solomon Islands
North Korea has no reported cases.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Singapore has it and I THINK South Korea. I’d love to know this.

South Korea is heading towards 10,000 cases so far.
link to CoronaVirus Dashboard

This site was apparently the brainchild of a high school student. It's been up since there were only a few hundred cases in the US.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

My contribution of good news: mass shootings are WAY down.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
North Korea has no reported cases.
It is generally agree that North Korea has several unreported cases.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
My contribution of good news: mass shootings are WAY down.
Several death rates are down:
  • flu and other non-Covid communicable diseases
  • auto accidents
  • air pollution

I may have missed some. Of course, deaths due to domestic violence are probably up, but it wouldn't surprise me if the net effect of the virus and all the distancing and quarantining is a reduced overall death rate.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Quarantine Safari
Quote:
Conservation biologist Latika Nath said that it was a hearteening sign that pollution levels in the air and water had come down enough for rare birds and animals can be seen in urban habitats. . . .

Since birders cannot step out, most of them document birds from their balconies or compounds
But my favorite in the thread remains #113.

Last edited by PhillyGuy; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

101 year old man beats the virus

As did a 103 year old woman and 97 year old woman.
Old Today, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
South Korea is heading towards 10,000 cases so far.
link to CoronaVirus Dashboard

This site was apparently the brainchild of a high school student. It's been up since there were only a few hundred cases in the US.
Impressive for a HS student.

I've been using Worldometer. that website has improved over time. They recently added deaths per million which is something I was calculating on a spreadsheet.