Old 03-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Love the shocked Pikachu face of the reporter after Trump flew off the handle.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
The irony is that that was such a softball question, trump couldíve hit it out of the park if he recognized it. It was the perfect opportunity to make a presidential speech, rallying Americans to work together in a time of crisis and will come out stronger on the other side and have patience and have faith blah blah blah.
But Trump is an idiot.
Brian Taylor Cohen just covered this; link is to a 9:52 video that includes the exchange with Peter Alexander, as well as Mr. Alexander asking Mike Pence the same exact question a few minutes later (which Mr. Pence answered satisfactorily, altho not without some felting).

There is also a clip of Mr. Alexander explaining later that it was, indeed, a softball question designed to give Trump the chance to "look presidential", which he of course is incapable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
He really is a paranoid, narcissistic POS, isn't he?
Yes; yes, he is.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-20-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:56 PM
SDSAB

Alas, he is, and we see it now, at a time of national crisis, particularly clearly.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Yep, another Fredo moment at the podium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9E9n6GHC8
Old 03-20-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Brian Taylor Cohen just covered this; link is to a 9:52 video that includes the exchange with Peter Alexander, as well as Mr. Alexander asking Mike Pence the same exact question a few minutes later (which Mr. Pence answered satisfactorily, altho not without some felting).

There is also a clip of Mr. Alexander explaining later that it was, indeed, a softball question designed to give Trump the chance to "look presidential", which he of course is incapable of.Yes; yes, he is.
Did you catch the "reporter" Trump called on for the sweet follow-up question? I can't find a youtube for it, but it was Sean Spicer. And the suit he was wearing looked a lot like the dog's breakfast that Trump's whole presser was today.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Thing was, he had a template to follow. Behold Angela Merkel's speech to the German nation. As Dan Savage says in the link, "Yes, you'll have to read subtitles. But it's the speech we've been waiting to hear from our top elected official and haven't heard yet and are never going to hear."

We just get, "I'm not responsible," instead.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:21 PM

Well let's see, what Trumpian antics piss me off today?

Was it his petulant complaint, during today's circus of a presser, that no one ever thanked him for forgoing his Presidential salary? Naw; why should we pay $450K a year for such abject incompetence anyway?

Was it his claim that he had personally spent "billions and billions" of dollars (a complete fucking lie) to become President, and that, presumably, we should all be profoundly grateful for him bothering to show up for work each day?

How about his utterly absurd statement that putting the country a trillion dollars further in the red, due to his ill-timed, unnecessary tax cuts, somehow provided a "cushion" against the current, developing fiscal disaster?

All worthy candidates, IMO, but I believe we have a winner: Trump and his Treasury and Senate henchmen trying to slip into the stimulus package a $500 billion slush fund, labeled a "corporate bailout provision", that apparently has no specifics as to how and to whom the monies would be awarded, does not disallow the monies to be used for stock buyback or dividend payments (contrary to what Trump has been blathering for the past several days), and, once awarded, would likely be out of congressional oversight?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/polit...ess/index.html

Feel free to berate me as a partisan hack if I got any of that last bit wrong.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-22-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

No, you get it right, but I’m more pissed off at McConnell trying to sleaze this through a Sunday night vote than I am at the short-fingered vulgarian.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahm Emanuel
You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
The GOP took that to heart, eh.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:49 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

Was it his petulant complaint, during today's circus of a presser, that no one ever thanked him for forgoing his Presidential salary? Naw; why should we pay $450K a year for such abject incompetence anyway?

Was it his claim that he had personally spent "billions and billions" of dollars (a complete fucking lie) to become President, and that, presumably, we should all be profoundly grateful for him bothering to show up for work each day?

How about his utterly absurd statement that putting the country a trillion dollars further in the red, due to his ill-timed, unnecessary tax cuts, somehow provided a "cushion" against the current, developing fiscal disaster?

All worthy candidates, IMO, but I believe we have a winner: Trump and his Treasury and Senate henchmen trying to slip into the stimulus package a $500 billion slush fund, labeled a "corporate bailout provision", that apparently has no specifics as to how and to whom the monies would be awarded, does not disallow the monies to be used for stock buyback or dividend payments (contrary to what Trump has been blathering for the past several days), and, once awarded, would likely be out of congressional oversight?

*Golf Clap*45
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM
SDSAB

Dr. Fauci on POTUS: "I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down." The point is, dammit, he shouldn't have to: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/polit...iew/index.html
Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Dr. Fauci on POTUS: "I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down." The point is, dammit, he shouldn't have to: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/polit...iew/index.html
Actually, I feel that Fauci SHOULD do just this. He's a doctor. He can see that Trump is mentally unfit. He should interrupt the next press conference and clearly state "In my professional and medical opinion, Mr. Trump is mentally unstable and unfit for office. He needs to be removed under Article 25, and this needs to be done immediately."
Old 03-23-2020, 02:09 PM

Every time trump says something inaccurate (which is of course a lot) Dr. Fauci can hold up a sign that says “nope.”
Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Actually, I feel that Fauci SHOULD do just this. He's a doctor. He can see that Trump is mentally unfit. He should interrupt the next press conference and clearly state "In my professional and medical opinion, Mr. Trump is mentally unstable and unfit for office. He needs to be removed under Article 25, and this needs to be done immediately."
I'd settle for Fauci doing his best Cousin Vinny.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-23-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/polit...ess/index.html

Feel free to berate me as a partisan hack if I got any of that last bit wrong.
There should also be a condition that companies that receive bailout funds canít make campaign contributions or fund Super PACís. Because thatís where the scam lies. Mnuchin is going to hand billions to Trump donors who will turn around and funnel it back into the campaign in donations. Then the campaign will pay inflated prices at Trump properties ( they got busted for pulling this crap with the Inaugural funds but I donít know that campaign funds are subject to the same oversight.), to the personaL benefit of Trump.

If I were conspiracy minded, Iíd think this crisis was a Republican scam. They see the tide turning against so they have to steal the rest of our money before they lose power in November.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM

Trump pulled a king Canute and the rising tide on Coronavirus today.
He's giving it 15 days to shape up and BEHAVE.
Funny as the Three Stooges, but folk are going to die as a result.
That pisses me off.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:19 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

I wonder where they got the idea do this...

Quote:
A man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks. Within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance to a nearby Banner Health hospital
http://bannerhealth.mediaroom.com/chloroquinephosphate
Old 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM

you know the phase "drink the cool-aid" (or flavor-aide for the pedantic).

I have this image in my head of someone on Fox news telling folks that to "cure" the virus, they just need to drink a quart of drain cleaner. Then Trump tells all of his followers to do this.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM

I'd say, "We can only hope", but don't want to run afoul of the wishing harm rule...

Really. Isn't this C. M. Kornbluth's scenario come to life?

Just hack Fox News one night, announce the that Rapture (of a sort) will be taking place at the Kennedy Space Center in a month, launch them all into orbit around Venus.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I have this image in my head of someone on Fox news telling folks that to "cure" the virus, they just need to drink a quart of drain cleaner. Then Trump tells all of his followers to do this.
I believe it's only Trump Brand drain cleaner that is a cure. (It's important to get this right.)

Trump Brand Drain Cleaner: available soon--ask for it by name!
Old 03-23-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I believe it's only Trump Brand drain cleaner that is a cure. (It's important to get this right.)

Trump Brand Drain Cleaner: available soon--ask for it by name!
Not available yet but by mid-week, Google and GM will be turning out thousands/millions of perfect doses.
Little known fact, but it was Benjamin Franklinís younger brother, Aldo, who originally said ďThose who would give up toilet paper to purchase a little temporary safety from a pandemic deserve neither safety nor toilet paper.Ē Ben later co-opted this with his own spin.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 PM

Maybe there's a chance to reverse engineer Idiocracy yet.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:

And for the super-pedantic it's "the phrase 'drink the Kool-Aid'".
Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
And it tastes like Crunchy Frog.
I find it's finish more reminiscent of Spring Surprise
Old 03-24-2020, 11:20 AM
SDSAB

But his polls would plummet!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
But his polls would plummet!
As his pols were plummeting.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM

When it was reported that Mitt Romney has tested negative, Individual 1 tweeted, "This is really great news! I am so happy I can barely speak. He may have been a terrible presidential candidate and an even worse U.S. Senator, but he is a RINO, and I like him a lot!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...77450662244352
Old 03-25-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
When it was reported that Mitt Romney has tested negative, Individual 1 tweeted, "This is really great news! I am so happy I can barely speak. He may have been a terrible presidential candidate and an even worse U.S. Senator, but he is a RINO, and I like him a lot!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...77450662244352
Shouldn't it have been "and he is a RINO but I like him a lot!"?

I can't believe I'm editing Trump's tweets for tone.

I also absolutely don't believe Trump likes Romney. Quite the contrary....he probably wishes Romney had caught Ebola.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Not exactly pissed-off territory, but it did annoy me a bit.

Got a postcard in the mail. On the address side it says, in large capital letters "PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA". On the back are some useful guidelines (most of which we already know) and a statement for young folks to 'behave' (well, it doesn't say that, but the meaning is clear).

Well. I can't fault him having his name on it (any politician worth his soapbox would do the same) and having his name attached just might cause some of the Trumpites to back off and behave responsibly, but after all the playing-down and outright ridicule of the possible threat of this disease, to so prominently have his name on the card telling us how to avoid it just seems...wrong.

IMHO as always. YMMV. I'm sure you'll all be getting one soon if not today.

Press on.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Not exactly pissed-off territory, but it did annoy me a bit.

Got a postcard in the mail. On the address side it says, in large capital letters "PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA". On the back are some useful guidelines (most of which we already know) and a statement for young folks to 'behave' (well, it doesn't say that, but the meaning is clear).

Well. I can't fault him having his name on it (any politician worth his soapbox would do the same) and having his name attached just might cause some of the Trumpites to back off and behave responsibly, but after all the playing-down and outright ridicule of the possible threat of this disease, to so prominently have his name on the card telling us how to avoid it just seems...wrong.

IMHO as always. YMMV. I'm sure you'll all be getting one soon if not today.

Press on.
And all of the guidelines basically contradict everything Individual 1 says.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
And for the super-pedantic it's "the phrase 'drink the Kool-Aid'".
And for the ultrasuperpedantic...the type specimen of the phrase (Jonestown) was actually Flavor-Ade.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
And for the ultrasuperpedantic...the type specimen of the phrase (Jonestown) was actually Flavor-Ade.

Yes, I know; however, I was merely addressing the popular phrase.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
And for the mega ultra super pedantic, it should be spelled Flavor Aid.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM

"The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...05328209080331

It's nice that he's admitting that ending quarantine is all about his reelection.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:12 PM
SDSAB

One of POTUS's pastors blames gay people for ‘wrath of God’: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9426801.html
Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
"The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...05328209080331

It's nice that he's admitting that ending quarantine is all about his reelection.
I didn't realize Trump has adopted the idiotic "lamesSream media" bit Doesn't surprise me, (he does use the idiotic "Democrat Party" [sic]) but what a fucking idiot.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
One of POTUS's pastors blames gay people for Ďwrath of Godí: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9426801.html
Well, look on the bright side:

Quote:
However, while relying heavily on Leviticus to reach his conclusions, Mr Drollinger was also at pains to say he does not advocate executing gay men by stoning: ďCorporal punishment, or putting to death a man who lies with a male, is not a tenet found recurring in the age in which we live, the Church Age of the Bible; the [New Testament] does not reiterate this practice for this day and age. However, the New Testament most certainly does reiterate and uphold the present prohibition of homosexuality.Ē
So no stoning...yet.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
This may be the first time Iíve ever seen Pedantinception.

Itís nits being picked all the way down!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I also absolutely don't believe Trump likes Romney. Quite the contrary....he probably wishes Romney had caught Ebola.
Was Trump's tweet too subtle for you

Maybe you don't know the backstory. The point is, Trump heard some of the blowback regarding his previous apparent relish at the thought of Romney being in quarantine. So he's directly addressing that.

The tweet is what a 5-year old would write, after Mommy told him to tell his brother he doesn't really wish he was dead. "He's ugly and smells but I don't wish his big stupid face was dead".
I mean, genuinely. Just switch in a couple of words like "senator" and you're done.

Last edited by Mijin; 03-26-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM

This isn't a great fit for this thread, but it doesn't fit anywhere else, either, and it's certainly not worth a whole thread, so....

Why the hell doesn't Trump have a valet equivalent??? Okay, maybe he'd have to give him a different title (Personal assistant maybe?) but someone devoted to making his physical appearance look closer to the human norm?

I mean, all those closeup photos showing a half inch of pasty pink skin between the sharp edge of his fake tan and his hair line, the clear rings around his eye where the goggles(?) protect his eyes -- that has to be because he's slapping/spraying the stuff on himself, right? There have got to be hundreds of makeup artists in California alone, some of them not currently at work. Get one and have it done *right*.

As a bonus he could teach the guy how to construct his hair do. And maybe he'd eventually trust the valet enough to believe him when he says the too long ties and baggy outfits really, really don't make him look one pound thinner.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Was Trump's tweet too subtle for you .
I get what you're saying, but Trump doesn't do subtlety. Everything he writes is at face value -- there are no levels. Of course, 99% of what he writes is complete bullshit, but it's one level of bullshit.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but Trump doesn't do subtlety. Everything he writes is at face value -- there are no levels. Of course, 99% of what he writes is complete bullshit, but it's one level of bullshit.
The only way bullshit is level is if it's liquid.

You're welcome.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:40 AM

He can do sarcasm though. The original comment about Romney in the press briefing was sarcastic, and so was the tweet.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
This isn't a great fit for this thread, but it doesn't fit anywhere else, either, and it's certainly not worth a whole thread, so....

Why the hell doesn't Trump have a valet equivalent??? Okay, maybe he'd have to give him a different title (Personal assistant maybe?) but someone devoted to making his physical appearance look closer to the human norm?

I mean, all those closeup photos showing a half inch of pasty pink skin between the sharp edge of his fake tan and his hair line, the clear rings around his eye where the goggles(?) protect his eyes -- that has to be because he's slapping/spraying the stuff on himself, right? There have got to be hundreds of makeup artists in California alone, some of them not currently at work. Get one and have it done *right*.

As a bonus he could teach the guy how to construct his hair do. And maybe he'd eventually trust the valet enough to believe him when he says the too long ties and baggy outfits really, really don't make him look one pound thinner.
Because he's the best at personal grooming there ever was. Jack Dawn took lessons from him and Hollywood yet today is using products and techniques he developed to make their leading men more... leady and their ho-hum actesses look hawt.

Just the other day Melania came up to him with tears in her eyes saying, "Sir, I just don't know what to do with this mascara. Could you please show me how to look beautiful?"
Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM

He's central casting.
Whatever that means.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Because he's the best at personal grooming there ever was.
<sigh> Yeah, you're probably right. The thing is, there's probably no reasonable hope he'd stop embarrassing the country by acting like a buffoon, but it would be relatively easy for him to stop looking like one, too.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 03-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
<sigh> Yeah, you're probably right. The thing is, there's probably no reasonable hope he'd stop embarrassing the country by acting like a buffoon, but it would be relatively easy for him to stop looking like one, too.
Oh no you don't! I want him to keep looking more and more ridiculous every day. I want more buffoonery and embarrassment-- for us, since he doesn't have the sense to be embarrassed for himself. I want him to start drooling in public, sniffing, blinking, running his hands constantly through his hair, wiping his face obsessively with his hanky, and (God help us) leaving his fly unzipped. (No worries about anything poking out -- too shriveled). I want the public Dorian Gray to look exactly like his portrait.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 PM
SDSAB

Looking like this, as ridiculous as you and I and so many other people think he does, nevertheless made him a reality-TV star and President of the United States. I don't think he sees any need whatsoever to change his ways.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:

This just occurred to me. The jerk is screwing with us. The only reason he has that orange tint is because, as brain-dead as he is, even he realizes that coming out in blackface is not acceptable and will screw him five ways from Sunday (not that he knows why Sunday is a special day in American culture). So, he's got orangeface. And he's laughing inside while the rest of us are crying outside.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
And.... the doper super one has to notice that Jim Jones had both Flavor Aid and Kool aid in his compound.