Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 PM

I recommend Techmoan, a Brit who reviews old (and new) electronics. An great introduction (given the fact that I just finished page 11 of The Last Jedi thread) is a review of a hologram vinyl Force Awakens soundtrack
Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Georg Rockall-Schmidt is pretty good, put it in the Guy-Talking-About-Stuff category.

https://www.youtube.com/user/submarineboat/featured, building a 74 foot long steel boat in the backyard.

AvE, machine shop shenanigans.

potholer54, science journalist, debunking various types of nonsense

On a similar vein, Myles Power, excellent stuff on 9/11 Truthers, GMOs, anti-vaccines, etc, etc...

Applied Science, doing things like using an electron microscope to film the needle of a record player follow the grooves of the record.

Jeff Quitney, an archive of restored and training films, the NASA stuff is fascinating, for example progress updates on the design and construction of the Apollo spacecraft. There's other fascinating stuff, like Visiting the Dalai Lama at Lhasa: "Inside Tibet" 1943 Office of Strategic Services (OSS)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Like to take a virtual train ride? Jersey Mike has them.

How about simulations of past plane crashes/near misses? X Pilot for you.

How about learning a new language? The Travel Linguist.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM

The Modern Rogue. Two guys that explore varied subjects with an expert. They're fun and i learn stuff. I am not sure if they realize the subjects they cover also appeal to women though.

Start with the playlists. I like Modern Rogue is a Gentleman.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM

I enjoy Smarter Every Day.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

The subject of Shut Up & Sit Down is tabletop game reviews. But they're entertaining even if you don't care about games.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post
http://goo.gl/yEIawC

"Irish People Try/Taste/Watch/Explain... hilarious time-suck !!
Thanks for that, Philliam. I binge-watched these for two hours last night, and have only scratched the surface. They're hysterical!

My favorite: Irish People Watch Duck Dynasty: "Now I know how Trump got elected".

I like the Squirrel Hunter channel. I found it last summer when I was frustrated that squirrels ate almost every single tomato out of my backyard garden, and I was Googling "pest control squirrels". It's an Englishman who uses an air rifle and squirrel feeders to thin down populations of the invasive American grey squirrel. Although he's killing animals, it's weirdly soothing to watch, in part because of his quiet low-key voice as he narrates the action on his videos.

I also like the Scott Rea Project. I think I found it linked in the comments to the Squirrel Hunter channel. He's an English butcher who learned his trade the old-school way from an 80-year old village butcher, and he wanted to preserve this craft on video so that the skill wouldn't die out. It grew from straightforward butchery to game dressing, English recipes, and road trips to other villages in the English countryside to visit artisan shops. He's chatty and funny, and it's interesting to see how to break down a side of pork or a whole lamb.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Machine shop stuff on YouTube

I see Ale already mentioned AvE...though "machine shop shenanigans" doesn't even come close to describing that guy. It's a mix of the most amazing tool tear-downs, with spot-on descriptions of materials in use and so forth, with a liberal application of profanity and political incorrectness.

If you are interested in learning how to machine, watch mrpete222...he's a retired shop teacher and he covers a huge amount of ground.

For watching some heavy duty work, with good solid machining going on, check out Adam at Abom79. I really like his style, and he posts neat stuff every week.

If you want to learn some very cool tricks, of the kind every machinist should know, check out Joe Pieczynski. He is a teacher at heart, and he always is dropping little bits of wisdom in as he goes about teaching the main topic.

Want to see the real deal? Watch Stefan Gotteswinter, a proper tool and die man in Germany who works in precision down to the ten-thousandth of an inch. His work is truly amazing. Just don't let him know you use Imperial units--he sneers at us mortals who work in inch measurements.

If you prefer your cool metalwork with a sense of humor, watch This Old Tony. He makes some spiffy stuff and always has lighter moments.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM

OK, gratuitous plug.
4CornersCat (not technically savvy enough to link)
Music (often Celtic) from people in the 4 Corners region. Mad Haggis, predominantly. But Celtic Knot is on there!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Okay, a real channel this time: Car Crazy Central. Virtually every episode of Car Crazy is there.

Here are some of the vehicles that can be seen. Yeah, I'm "Skywatcher68" over there. Got way too busy with other stuff to continue adding to the list.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-29-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 PM

I very much enjoy Clickspring. It's a Aussie fella with a lovely voice in his garage machine shop building a pendulum clock from scratch. I'm not particularly interested in clockwork, watching him go through building step by step, however, is fascinating. The clock project has actually been completed and he's started on a new one, building an Antikythera Mechanism from scratch, using the techniques and tools the ancient greek craftsman probably used thousands of years ago. Wonderful stuff.

I second Modern Rogue, that is a fun channel. Those guys also have a sister channel, Scam School, about teaching bar tricks and sleight of hand magic and similar.
(And no, I don't think they realize how much their content appeals to women as well.)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Dog View Post
I very much enjoy Clickspring. It's a Aussie fella with a lovely voice in his garage machine shop building a pendulum clock from scratch.[...]
His work is amazing. If you want to learn techniques for making very precise and beautiful things, Clickspring is the way to go.

One of my favorite Clickspring tricks is to use super glue or red Locktite to attache a part to an aluminum mandrel or backing plate--you can then happily machine the difficult-to-grip part and then heat it with a torch afterward to release the grip.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Bronze Cowboy
A guy in Scottsdale, AZ dresses up perfectly as a metallic statue. People will sit down next to him or even just stand next to him, and then he'll casually come to life. It's hilarious seeing peoples' reactions when their reality is turned on its head!

"Seize the meal money!"
Old 12-31-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

BBQ Pit Boys
Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I've picked up a few more since the ones I recommended last year.

The Slingshot Channel: mad genius Joerg Sprave kludges together ridiculous implements of destruction that are all somehow classified as toys under German law

Cocktail Chemistry: some very elaborate beverages, along with basic bartending techniques

agadmator's Chess Channel: I don't play chess, yet I can watch this guy talk about it for hours. He recaps interesting matches, with some background on the players and just enough tactical information to make it understandable without becoming overwhelming to the casual viewer.

MICKEY -renraw-: Video game playthroughs with a healthy dose of humor
Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The subject of Shut Up & Sit Down is tabletop game reviews. But they're entertaining even if you don't care about games.
SUSD is my favorite board game review channel. They also have Cool Ghosts as a side project, which is about video games. Both channels can be...let's say overindulgent...at times, but I think they do the best job at deep examination of the games.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
Bronze Cowboy
A guy in Scottsdale, AZ dresses up perfectly as a metallic statue. People will sit down next to him or even just stand next to him, and then he'll casually come to life. It's hilarious seeing peoples' reactions when their reality is turned on its head!
Wow, that fellow is the very definition of a one-trick pony. But it's a really cool trick. Neat.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Cocktail Chemistry: some very elaborate beverages, along with basic bartending techniques
I'm loving this one!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 PM

captain disillusion
minute earth
minute physics
numberphile
sixty symbols
smarter every day
vi hart
vsauce
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
I'm loving this one!
Glad to hear it.

His "talking torso" presentation style is remarkably similar to that of Binging With Babish, which Biggirl mentioned upthread. But it's ok; they lampshaded this by doing a crossover episode back in May.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I recently watched the episode where they barbecued a whole alligator. Which is probably the most southern thing I ever saw.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 AM

This video is so cute, I just had to share. I previously mentioned Shawn Woods and his Mousetrap Mondays videos. This one has Shawn and his young son demonstrating a Lego mousetrap. This video is fine for the squeamish. It's a live catch-and-release trap, and they do release the mouse at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3AMENXTfE&app=desktop
Old 11-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Seems I've stumbled across a group of gravure idols.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Good thread - some of the stuff I've checked out so far.
Speaking of checking it out....
For bettering myself, my go-to channel is (Dr. Steve) Brule's Rules
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 PM

Agadmator - chess discussion, his enthusiasm and presentation rekindled my interest in the game.
Crime Pays but Botany Doesn’t - a crude dude with a thick Chicago accent describes plant species and general ecology and why it matters. Also a heavy dose of modern society hate I find refreshing.
LockPickingLawyer - man has lock picking skills and his delivery is calming like Mr. Rogers. If you never watch it, just know Master is a shit lock company.
Mr. Chickadee - a self taught wood craftsman that makes incredible things with no electric tools. No words, just nature sounds. Very Zen.

Last edited by Sitnam; 11-10-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 AM

Bill Burr (comedy) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAp...zmei84WNR4ptgA
Mort Sahl (comedy) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7...255rX8g0lJil7A
Marcus Conte (political, man on the street interviews) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOV...8KN0ZuGqzLjqkw
Old 03-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I've been trying to tell people how great Youtube Channels are; but they just don't get it!

A few of my faves
Postmodern JukeBox "Today's hits, yesterday." They take current hit songs and play/sing them in 1930s-1960s Style. If you get a chance to see them in concert it's worth it!

Grant Thompson - The King of Random From his youtube page: "Call it "mad science", or just a "quest for discovery". These are some of my experiments, life-hacks, and random weekend projects." Basically he builds cool stuff.

Engineer Guy Bill Hammack explores the world of engineering, and explains complex topics and dumbs them down for us mere mortals. It's worth it just for his discussion about how/why cola cans are built the way they are.

This Old House Because who doesn't love This Old House?

I didn't realize this was a Zombie thread until I saw my own post from 3 years ago.
Anyway, I felt compelled to note that Grant Thompson passed away last year, but TKOR is still going and still quite entertaining.

If you are still looking for YouTube channels, I didn't see anyone mention Mark Rober, who has fun and interesting science and engineering and led me to TKOR and others. My favorite now is How Ridiculous. 3 Australian guys dropping heavy items from a 45-meter tower.

GTOger is the channel that had humorous videos of cars being towed from a lot in an alley in Deep Ellum in Dallas.

Freakin' Reviews looks at As-Seen-On-TV items and other stuff we probably don't need but look like good ideas.

How to Cook That is both baking and chocolate-making videos, but also debunking YT viral fake videos such as 5-minute-crafts.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

I like Kevin Nealon's Hiking With Kevin, where the ex-SNL member hits the trails of LA with his celebrity friends.

I don't know if it would appeal to folks here, but I really enjoy taking vicarious road trips with Traveling Robert--a homespun vlogger who has an upbeat attitude that is kind refreshing these days.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM

Monkey and Apple, American that does different sketch style videos.

The Macron Show, British prank caller

Robin Seplut, Russian who does daily videos of feeding stray cats
Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ryan George does some funny stuff. Of course he also does the great Pitch Meeting videos at Screen Rant.

For pop music commentary I really enjoy Todd In The Shadows.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Old thread or not, there are always new channels, so post 'em if you got 'em!

One of my new favorites: Mr. Carlson's Lab

That fellow is an amazing teacher who walks the viewers through complex rebuilds of old tube radios and associated paraphernalia. Even though my understanding of electronics is poor-to-none, I enjoy following along as he brings a radio from 1938 back to life.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Any great social satirists out there? Doesn't have to be popular like Bill Hicks - could be someone who has little followers, but interesting.

Music from the 60/70s?
Movies from the 1930-70s?

Hell, I'd love to check out a channel with people over 80 years old.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Any great social satirists out there? Doesn't have to be popular like Bill Hicks - could be someone who has little followers, but interesting.

Music from the 60/70s?
Movies from the 1930-70s?

Hell, I'd love to check out a channel with people over 80 years old.
Clara's channel Great Depression Cooking. I stumbled upon her channel last year, saw the date it was released and got a sad. Still, love her.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Clara's channel Great Depression Cooking. I stumbled upon her channel last year, saw the date it was released and got a sad. Still, love her.
I'd love to hear the stories!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:00 PM

First We Feast/ Hot Ones: Premise: 1-on-1 celebrity interviews with host Sean Evans. Host and guest chat while eating chicken wings doused with sauce containing increasingly higher scoville units. If the celebrity completes all ten sauces, they get to plug whatever projects they’re involved with. The higher the heat rises, the more the celebrities let down their hair. Quite funny and Sean is a surprisingly good interviewer (he eats the wings, too). Gordon Ramsay (NSFW!)

Brandi TV: my teen daughter introduced me to this channel and we watch it together. Premise: Girl gets high on edibles, applies kooky makeup, then calls in her husband to get his reaction. Quite silly. But, Brandi has such an infectious laugh and bubbly personality, it’s a sure cure for lifting the doldrums. Pennywise
Old 03-25-2020, 10:36 PM

Living Traditions Homestead: They define the word "vlog." They live in a small hobby farm in southern Missouri, and while they are Christian, they don't get in your face about it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_P...fgSIpIYWD3Ka-g

Phyllis Stokes: She was a true Southern lady who died late last year at age 75, just a few months after her husband ; her son is continuing the channel. Most of the videos are about cooking, and all of them are about their lives in general.

https://www.youtube.com/user/phyllisue

and of course, from Finland:

Hydraulic Press Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcM...6_1Hwi5-MeiQgw

Beyond The Press

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...ZJ1WOf4XYVJNBw

and the wife's personal channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC5...Bpy-lFB8S8rZEg
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
Forgot to mention The Young Turks channel, progressive news commentary and plenty of it.
Unfortunately, the Bernie-worship in recent months has gone a bit OTT.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 PM

ZDoggMD, more relevant than ever:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZDoggMD

And of course, Dr. Pimple Popper.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSandraLee
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 PM

Fans of prog, hard rock, and arena rock will love Sea of Tranquility.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeaofTranquilityProg

And if classical music is your thing, there's Stephen Malinowski's animation channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/smalin
Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

I recently discovered

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmymadeinjapan
She mostly does cooking and tasting videos but, even if you're not into that, her infectious personality, genuineness, and sense of humor makes her very entertaining.

She is neither Japanese (she's of Chinese descent) and she is in New England rather than Japan. The channel name reflects how it started when she was living in Japan years ago.

She also has a bee keeping channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQj...zzbrsD-biel8eg

Last edited by davidm; 03-26-2020 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I recently discovered

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmymadeinjapan
She mostly does cooking and tasting videos but, even if you're not into that, her infectious personality, genuineness, and sense of humor makes her very entertaining.

She is neither Japanese (she's of Chinese descent) and she is in New England rather than Japan. The channel name reflects how it started when she was living in Japan years ago.

She also has a bee keeping channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQj...zzbrsD-biel8eg
She's great!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Kitboga, master scam-baiter.
Youtube-highlights of his scambaiting videos on Twitch.
Twitch-live scambaiting plus full length videos of his calls(3-6 hours in length)
He uses a voice-changer plus excellent character development and improv skills to keep scammers occupied for hours.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Twitch-live scambaiting plus full length videos of his calls(3-6 hours in length)
He uses a voice-changer plus excellent character development and improv skills to keep scammers occupied for hours.
Been watching Kitboga for a while. He’s a great scam-baiter. The more time these scam-baiters waste scammer’s time, the less time they have to scam the elderly. Plus, he’s funny as hell, particularly when he role-plays granny!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Historyteachers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ8A5gRe_Dw

that's one of their best.

and for us LotR fans, this is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30b7_S0paCQ&t=108s

I like Lindy Beige, but damn he is biased towards British.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9p...sp4UKrI8q0zjXQ

Horrible Histories have both good and bad, but this one is great:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ADwv2A1wg
Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM

I posted this elsewhere but, since this thread has been revised, highly recommend Violin MD. Link posted is her Covid-19 video. She's informative and a great communicator.

I've also been watching the South Main Auto Repair channel, satisfying to see a mechanic who is very up on technology

Finally Aging Wheels covers some interesting cars, including his Trabant *he goes on to rebuild the engine and tranny in other videos

Last edited by txjim; 03-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM

Here's a video by one of my favorite You Tubers, Caitlin Doughty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cbCU-0Hm0c
Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He's great!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I watched a bit of Mr. Kitboga and had a good time. Thanks.

Then I clicked on a sidebar link to listen to another scam-baiter. Atomic Shrimp. And ohmighod, it was dry understated English Humour, with excellent production — just wonderful to watch and hear. A letterhead appears on the screen, featuring the name, Mange Tout.

An SDMB search revealed that, yeah, Atomic Shrimp is the Youtube channel for Doper mange tout. I think I’d checked out his channel several years ago, but the video I watched then wasn’t as much fun as his scambaiting.

A link: OK—Let’s tell the scammer that I already have the money.
And the, even better, sequel.

I also like Agadmater’s chess channel.
And the Opossum Lady: Proper Opossum Massage.

Last edited by Baal Houtham; 03-28-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Since I was very young, I've always loved watching trains. Doesn't matter if it's freight, passenger, intermodal...

So I can recommend Virtual Railfan (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOI...1N2BvrsBjhNlag), he's got cameras in numerous locations around the USA so if a train isn't due on one for awhile, there's probably one on the next, plus you have 12 hour playback. If you don't want to hang around (and most have a on-going chat, he has a bunch of highlight clips on his site.

Again, you have to love trains and you got to be patient. But if your a railfan at heart, it's a place to check out.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:30 PM

I've been enjoying different Line Rider videos to classical music such as Matthew Buckley.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsc...68E7Quu_Bkb2Ig

Last edited by CelticKnot; 03-28-2020 at 05:32 PM.