Old 03-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Share your stories of humiliating yourself. (The funny ones.)

Yeah, just something to lighten the mood. I’ll start us off.

I ride a bike – for transport, exercise, it’s what I do. So: one afternoon I’m out for a ride, deep in the countryside, riding through a tiny village on very narrow roads – when I come to the village church. There are a lot of cars parked by the church, but that’s not a particular problem, I can get by. But as I approach, clearly visible to all, the front car starts up and rolls towards me, into the middle of the very narrow road, completely blocking it. The only way I could possibly get past would be to cycle off the road into the dirt at the side.

Now, I should say that if you ride a bike, this sort of thing isn’t particularly unusual. Most car drivers are fine, polite, respectful, looking out for their fellow human and so on – but some of them are undeniably sh*ts. They’ve got a car and you’ve got a bike, so obviously they have right of way. Needless to say this pisses me off, and if I can make a point, I absolutely will. Indignant? You bet. So, filled with self-righteous anger, I just stopped the bike in the middle of the road, put a foot down, crossed my arms and stared at the driver. Saying in very clear body language: You know what mate? I’ve got all afternoon. And I just sat there, staring him down until he backed up into the parking bay; and I slowly cycled past, still staring at him, just in case he hadn’t got the point.

When I broke the stare and pointed my nose forwards again, I realised I was heading – still slowly – towards another blockage in the road. A priest in full regalia was in conversation with a man in a black suit with tails, and they were standing next to a long black sedan. With a coffin in the back. Ah – so I had just forced the car leading the guests away from a funeral to back up.

I felt significantly less satisfied with myself.

So: that’s the idea – I should say that when I do these things (which is fairly often) I do take great pleasure in telling friends the story. I just find these tales of deep personal humiliation very funny.

That was one of mine, and I would very much like to hear yours. What have you got?

j
Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 PM

I was at work in the kitchen of a restaurant and it was a CRAZY night and things were generally not going well. It was the sort of night where, when it's finally over, you want to go cry in the walk-in for a while before you come back and clean up. There were about a billion things happening and I was getting a little flustered and popped something in the microwave, hit the time, and then hit "start"

The display on the microwave said "DO OR" and nothing happened. I said, "Do or? What the hell is 'do or?'" and kept punching the button, but nothing was happening and it just kept saying "DO OR." Well, this was holding things up- I needed the stupid microwave to just WORK, DAMMIT, so we could get on with the rest of our lives. I hit clear, tried again, and at this point I was getting REALLY frustrated- "WHAT. THE FUCK. IS DO. OR?? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS THING? JUST WORK!!" (I promise I'm usually much cooler than that, but we were all on the verge of losing it that night)

it was then that one of the servers walked over and pushed the door of the microwave shut. Turns out they don't work if the do..or is open.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 PM

I had just bought my brand new BMW (GS1150) motorcycle, and I was out riding it around. I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant where I intended to get lunch, and there were a pair of pretty young things there watching me on my brand new really cool bike.

I was the styling motorcycle dude, showing off for the girls, as I pulled to a stop.

I put my feet down on a patch of oil, my foot skidded, I fell flat on my butt, and the girls busted out laughing and walked off shaking their heads.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I have an amazing talent for things that sound perfectly correct in my head not being that way when they come out of my mouth.

Some years ago, before the era of everyone being connected all the time, everywhere, my company's owner called the office and told the staff he wanted to talk to our manager RIGHT NOW.

The manager (whose name was Peter, by the way) was on vacation, diving in the Gulf of Mexico. It took an afternoon of convincing his next door neighbor to let me in his house, rummaging through his papers to find his itinerary, calling his hotel and making very sure the clerk stressed the importance of the owner wanting to talk to my boss RIGHT NOW.

It all worked out, and when the owner thanked me for tracking down my boss, I modestly replied, "I guess that makes me the company's official Peter finder now."
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure there are many involving me, but I'm also sure that most of them were when I was drunk. One that stands out involved a friend of mine instead. He embarrassed himself in two parts:

Part the first: He's out on a beach, running around drunk and naked with a young woman, climbs up on a rock, falls off and breaks his leg. The girl and he manage to get back to the car and she takes him to the military hospital, where has to explain what happened to him. To his credit, he says "I was drunk and naked and fell off a rock at the beach."

Part the second: Fast forward several months, and we're in Japan. He's riding a bike to and from work to strengthen the bum leg, and as he's riding along one day by the pier, he sees a comely lass walking along. He looks over at her and waves and smiles, and runs smack into one of the huge tie down cleats, flipping ass over teakettle and re-breaking the leg.

Ah, I just remembered one of mine. I was in a bar in Rota, Spain with a bunch of other idiots. A woman behind the bar gives me the "Hi, sailor" look and says "Buy me a drink?" I said "No." She says "Por que?" I said "Because you're ugly." She slapped me so hard I fell off the bar stool, causing much hilarity among my fellow drinkers. One friend told me the next morning "Man, she hit you so hard, I saw stars!"
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 PM

I was always an excellent speller and frequently won the spelling bees back in grade school. Getting down to the last two standing, the teacher gave me view. I said give me a harder one, she said no.

I spelled V.E.I.W.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 PM

About 15 years back, I was with some friends in Las Vegas (skeptics meeting) and a group of us decided to visit Hoover Dam. I had a minivan so I took 5-6 other folks and we drove out there, parked in the parking deck, and spent about 90 minutes touring the inside and peering over the top, basic tourist things.

As we headed back to the car, I reached in my pocket and couldn't find the car keys! Only one set, and I was beginning to panic and try to figure out what to do. When we got to the car, the keys were still inside...and we knew this because the engine was still running--I have never turned the car off. Fortunately I had started with a full tank and we had plenty of gas to get back to Vegas.

Over 20 years and a couple of them still won't let me forget it...
Old 03-27-2020, 03:55 AM

I went on a blind date with a girl named Julie. The date went very well and we seemed compatible. I even got a good-night peck at the end of the evening.

But, I had a lot going on at the time, including disentangling from a prior relationship that had gone south, so I didn’t follow up with calling Julie back for a second date. A couple months later, I heard through the grapevine that she was upset that I never called back. But, by then I was too embarrassed to call her again.

Weeks later, I was completely free from my former relationship and I was thinking what an ass I was not calling back Julie. We had a lot of fun on our date and maybe there was some potential. Dummy!

Then, lo and behold, my phone rings!

“Hi, Tibby, how are you?” It was Julie. Yay!
“Oh, wow, I was just thinking about you! I just want to say, I’m quite attracted to you and I’m sorry for not calling you back. I just had a lot going on in my life at the time and too much time passed…and, well you know...”
“...You’re attracted to me? I had no idea...”
“Yes, I am! I’d love to take you on a dinner date. How about it?”
"...Uh, well sure, I guess that would be ok.”
“Great!” [we made dinner plans]
“Gee, I was just calling to ask if you wanted me to do your taxes again this year.”

Oh, crap! This isn’t Julie, it’s my CPA. They sure sound alike. Damn, I just made a date with someone much older than me who I’m not attracted to in the least. And, I’m pretty sure she’s married.

On reflection, I realized I’d be a jerk going on a date with someone I had no interest in. Plus, I’d be out a lot of simoleons if my CPA ordered lobster and wine at the fancy restaurant we agreed on. So, sheepishly, I called her back and explained the mix up. Luckily, she had a good sense of humor and we shared a good laugh.

I think she had the last laugh, though. She screwed up my tax return and I got audited that year.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:25 AM

In the '90s... Where I worked just got PCs and the slide show (what is the Lotus version of Power Point?) was a new toy.
During some downtime I made a slide show. I would find one of the pictures of people and made humorous captions for the pictures. And since it was work it was office humor.
One of the network people was monitoring the system and found a large file (size of files was more important back then) and opened it up. It was my slide show. He sent it to his boss, who sent it to other bosses and eventually my manager said that she needed to talk to me.
She opened up my slide show that was making fun of management, being cruel to coworkers, and so forth. I had to convince her that all characters in the slide show are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental. While I got in some trouble, she did compliment me on the humor.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 AM

I go into the bar, squinting from the sunny afternoon, and step up to ask for a beer.

The guy behind the bar looks a little crazy and he’s just grinning at me and I have to repeat myself a few times.

I’m not getting my beer and dammit someone’s tugging at my elbow so I turn and say, “WHAT!”

The guy standing next to me says, “Sir, drinks are ordered from the other side of the bar.”

I’m laughing it off but the place is dead silent. As I round the end of the bar, I put on my best face and say, “C’mon, tell me it’s not the first time this has happened!” Nada.

What a bunch of jerks! Fortunately, it was in another town and I haven’t had to choose not to go back.

Last edited by jerez; 03-27-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM

I recall the time somebody my brother didn't want to talk to called on the phone and he handed the handset to me while whispering "Tell him I'm not here!".

So naturally without thinking I told the guy on the phone "He says he's not here."

Whoops. Brother wasn't happy...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM

Another one. I'm at my cousin's wedding... Before the ceremony he is greeting people. Since he was one of the stars of the show all eyes were on him.
He gets to me and I do a "I want to say something private" thing. So, after I make my comment to him (with all eyes on him), he stands up and introduces me to the girl sitting behind me. Everyone in the place, including the girl behind me, knew what (who) I was asking about.
Good thing is that I did get her phone number and we went out a couple times.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 AM

I think I've shared this here before; I definitely have IRL.
Early in my relationship with my former (English) boyfriend, we went to brunch at our favorite restaurant which is very popular among the British expats around here.
I met many of his friends for the first time and we were having a great old drunken time. Got to talking to a couple who love cats, as I do. The woman told the story about her current pet whom she found as a stray. I was so excited, I drunkenly shouted "that's how I got my Minge!"* Table wide silence and horrified faces ensued.

*Ginger Minge", shortened to "Minge", was the nickname bf had given to my orange cat. I wasn't familiar with the word minge and I guess had conflated it with whinge, or something.For those who don't know, it's a nasty term for nasty lady bits.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM

When I was a teenager I was having a good run on the arcade game Paperboy. Eventually I had to go and I ended up pissing my pants and running home.

Last edited by Ashtura; 03-27-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM

I met a friend's girlfriend for the first time. When he introduced me to her, he said "How do you like her boots, they're brand new"? Well, I was actually looking at her footwear as he was talking. She had on beautiful spike heeled boots that were made of some exotic leather.

I replied, "They're absolutely gorgeous, they look so supple, I bet they smell nice", and they both started laughing, hysterically.

Turns out I misheard what he had said, both because my hearing sucks and because her boots really caught my eye. She had recently had breast augmentation and he said "boobs", not "boots".
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 PM

My girlfriend and I (some 30 or 40 years ago) had just moved in together to a new apartment on the top floor of the building. We finished the exhausting move-in around noon, and took a rest. We had a mattress on the floor, no bed, and no curtains yet. We started to...fool around...and she said "Stop, we're right by the window! We have no curtains!."

I said "look out the window! We're higher than the buildings across the street, and we're on the floor. Nobody has a high enough window to look down and see us."

She was persuaded by my logic and we continued and progressed to our natural conclusion. Just as we were reaching that...pinnacle..though, we both heard loud cheers and applause. Looking out the window, we saw a line of at least a dozen construction workers on the roof of the building across the street, enjoying their unobstructed view of our antics.

We scrambled for robes, towels, clothes, blushing furiously. At least they applauded. Boos would have have been worse. We put up curtains that same afternoon.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM

Not ME, but close.

My GF and I were having a romantic interlude in the living room of her house when the doorbell rang. GF was expecting something from her neighbor, so she jumped up and quickly pulled her summer frock on to answer the door. As the neighbor left, she winked and said, "Now get back to WHATEVER you were doing!" When GF came back to me, I observed to her, "You know you have your dress on backwards and inside out, don't you?"
Old 03-27-2020, 01:00 PM

I'm LOVING these stories. Here's another of mine – this time with an epilogue.

Years ago I used to work for a privately owned Italian company. Every so often they would have a talking shop to which delegates from all of the national affiliate companies were invited – I was selected from the UK office, as was my colleague S (also male). Now, several days of free Italian food is an exceptionally nice thing, but not so great weight-wise – we were going to have to do some exercise to compensate. I’m a cyclist and S was a swimmer – and neither of those options was going to work – so we settled on going running, as the hotel we were staying at backed onto a large park. Not that either of us really did running, but needs must.

Cut to the conference, and we found ourselves teamed up with the Austrian delegation – two very pleasant young women – and, chatting over coffee, we just happened to mention our exercise plans. One of the ladies immediately perked up: “Ooh, ooh – can I come running with you?”. Well, yes, I guess - why not?. “Er, yeah, sure,” we said.

IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: when someone you have never met before asks if they can come running with you, do not respond “Er, yeah, sure.” The proper response is to ask: “Are you by any chance an international athlete?” End Of Announcement.

Austrian taekwondo second team, as you ask. She didn’t tell us until afterwards. M, one of our Italian hosts, also invited himself to join us, and he bailed in distress after one lap of the park. S and I stuck it out for three – thirty-five minutes, she ran us for (non-runners the both of us). I remember at one point of exquisite suffering, she was running backwards chatting to us about how great it all was. For her, maybe.

That evening we stuck with our Austrian pals and ate in a very nice restaurant with them. We took a cab because S and I were in too much pain to walk. S ended the evening in agonising bladder pain as well, as the restaurant toilets were down a flight of stairs, and he just could not go down the steps. (On the way, incredibly, we had to stop off because the girls needed cigarettes. International athletes, eh?)

Epilogue: Cut to the UK office a few days later, and I have a telecon with my Italian boss, who also happened to be M’s manager – and so, in dead time while we were waiting for other attendees to ring in, I told him the story of how M had bailed after one lap, but we stuck it out for three, and went on (jokingly) to complain that this showed a complete lack of moral fortitude, and therefore M should be fired. Not even polite laughter. Small cough. “Ah, Trep, I think you should know that [the company owner] has decided to sit in on the call…..”

j
Old 03-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Tales of clumsiness, from 2016 [replaced dead link in quote]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
This thread is for admitting your clumsiness and boneheaded maneuvers. Here's my latest.

I recently added a Victorinox Bundeswehr Trekker to my collection. This is a knife that allows you to open it with one hand. I tried the one-handed opening several times in fhe five days I've had it. Woiks like a chahm! Today I needed to cut the tape on the box of my new external drive. It's a great chance to use the knife for the first time! I try to open it one-handed, while holding the box in my other hand. Didn't quite get it, and my middle finger got under the blade. Blood ensued.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:51 PM

Back in high school, my wife went on a class trip to a Six Flags amusement park with her friends in senior year, but then as now, refused to take the roller coaster rides. However, that year featured a new one that was featured heavily in TV and radio ads at the time - I no longer remember the name, but it was the first ride in our area that would stop at some point, then go in reverse, stop, and go forward again.

Many of her friends were eager to go on this new ride, so out of curiosity, she asked them when she met up with them later: "So, how was the ride?"

"It was GREAT!"
"What was it like?"
"Well, it went up, way up, then down really fast into a loop, then - brrrt! - it stopped, went backwards through the loop, stopped again, and went forward!"

Well, duh, she thought to herself; I could see that from the ground, and knew that already from the ads.

She got only slight variations on this recounting from the next several people who came off the ride.

Finally, while talking to the member of her friend group who was The Lothario of the bunch as they got back into the bus for the trip back from the amusement park, she lost her patience and cut him off when he started saying the same thing: "...it went through a loop, then stopped, and went backwards --"

"Oh, come ON!" she said, loud enough to carry to the rest of the bus. "I know all the positions by now, all right? I want to know what it FEELS LIKE!"

Yeah, they still throw that at her 30 years later.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM

I checked out a guest - a regular - who paid in cash. I realized after the fact that I had short-changed him by $80. I notified Accounting, who sent him a check.

A month later he's checking out and asking me if I had any idea what this mystery check from us for $80 was for. Blushing bright red I admitted I'd accidentally short-changed him last time.

Ahhhh, he said.

I blushed for like 5 more minutes after he left.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:05 PM

As for my own stories of funny self-humiliation, two come to mind. Both times, I took it in my head to test "cartoon physics" in the real world, with immediate results.

The first one, fortunately for me, happened when I was alone, with no witnesses. Assigned to rake stuff in our backyard one Fall, I noticed that the rake I happened to be using was not one of those flexible type rakes, but a hard metal rake. "Hey, let's see what happens if I step on the rake like happens in Tom and Jerry!" I dropped the rake on the ground, tines pointed up, and stepped on it - rather gingerly, or so I thought. But much, MUCH faster than I expected or could react, WHAM! The pole handle flew right up and hit me in the forehead so hard I literally saw sparks. Hey, just like in Tom and Jerry!

The second one happened in the school cafeteria, at lunchtime. I had just eaten a banana.

"Hey," I said to the 2 or 3 friends I was hanging out with, "I wonder if a banana peel is really as slippery as they make it out to be in cartoons."
"Why not find out?"
"Good idea!" So I dropped the banana peel onto the tiled cafeteria floor, splayed out and face down in the classic image, and we waited.

Nobody stepped on it. They all stepped around it.

So, in the name of science, I went over and put my foot on it myself.

IMMEDIATELY my foot shot out from under me, the peel flew into the air and landed a good 15 feet away, and I landed hard on my tailbone while jamming my shoulder slightly trying to catch my fall.

This was apparently very funny to witness.

Last edited by robardin; 03-27-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

robardin, I did the rake experiment too (and with the same results). Dang, those lawn implements are fast!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM

A bunch of guys I used to work with in a warehouse setting used to think a funny thing to do was to nonchalantly back a guy into a corner, fart, and then try to keep them pinned in the corner. Funny for the farter, not so much for the receiver.
Anyways, one of these friends "Jim" and I during lunch hour liked to go into Barnes and Noble next door while it was dead and peruse the magazines. Jim had his face in a cycle magazine and I wandered down to the other end of the rack. We were the only ones there. While I had my face in a mag I could sense that Jim had moved back over by me and was behind me in the corner of the magazine stands. I took the opportunity and took a step backwards pinning him and ripped one on him. He didn't say anything but started to push back on me to escape. I just laughed like a 12 year-old with my back to him blocking his attempts to breakout.
I must have been laughing too loud since another customer leaned over from a nearby aisle to see what was going on. I looked up to give a "sorry" look to that customer when I was confronted by the horror that that customer in the aisle was Jim!
Well, that immediately put a stop to my giggle fits as I meekly looked over my shoulder to face my unintended victim. An elderly woman who had an odd mixed look of terror, anger, and disgust. I mustered a whimper "sorry", marched directly towards Jim, grabbed him by the collar, said "we gotta get out of here now" and hauled him out of the store.
When I told him outside what had happened he of course died laughing while I angrily blamed him for not being where he was supposed to be, dammit.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
A bunch of guys I used to work with in a warehouse setting used to think a funny thing to do was to nonchalantly back a guy into a corner, fart, and then try to keep them pinned in the corner. Funny for the farter, not so much for the receiver.
Anyways, one of these friends "Jim" and I during lunch hour liked to go into Barnes and Noble next door while it was dead and peruse the magazines. Jim had his face in a cycle magazine and I wandered down to the other end of the rack. We were the only ones there. While I had my face in a mag I could sense that Jim had moved back over by me and was behind me in the corner of the magazine stands. I took the opportunity and took a step backwards pinning him and ripped one on him. He didn't say anything but started to push back on me to escape. I just laughed like a 12 year-old with my back to him blocking his attempts to breakout.
I must have been laughing too loud since another customer leaned over from a nearby aisle to see what was going on. I looked up to give a "sorry" look to that customer when I was confronted by the horror that that customer in the aisle was Jim!
Well, that immediately put a stop to my giggle fits as I meekly looked over my shoulder to face my unintended victim. An elderly woman who had an odd mixed look of terror, anger, and disgust. I mustered a whimper "sorry", marched directly towards Jim, grabbed him by the collar, said "we gotta get out of here now" and hauled him out of the store.
When I told him outside what had happened he of course died laughing while I angrily blamed him for not being where he was supposed to be, dammit.

Wait, what year and what city was this in? I remember a friend’s mom once told a story about how she was at a bookstore once and “some big retarded guy, an adult man with the brain of an 8 year old” blocked her in, gave her a Dutch Oven, and ran off laughing with his guardian. Said it was the weirdest thing to ever happen to her.

She was like 75-80 (guessing) when she related this and that was 10 years ago...

NO WAY
Old 03-27-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
This story reminds me of an incident in a Pennsylvania restaurant on a spring break road trip with my college roommate. Said roommate, it should be mentioned, had sinus problems and used to get up in the morning, take hot steamy showers, and make all kinds of loud sinus clearing noises that woke up everyone else in the house. I used to give him endless grief about it.

So, roommate and I are having breakfast in this restaurant, and he gets up to go to the bathroom. While he's sitting in the stall, he hears somebody come in and start blowing their nose very loudly. Thinking that it was me giving him a hard time yet again, he yells out "What the HELL is your PROBLEM!?" Of course, it wasn't me, as he discovered when he exited the stall.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I had just bought my brand new BMW (GS1150) motorcycle, and I was out riding it around. I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant where I intended to get lunch, and there were a pair of pretty young things there watching me on my brand new really cool bike.

I was the styling motorcycle dude, showing off for the girls, as I pulled to a stop.

I put my feet down on a patch of oil, my foot skidded, I fell flat on my butt, and the girls busted out laughing and walked off shaking their heads.
Something very similar happened to me a long time ago:

The day I got my first motorcycle (Honda 360), I was on my way home when I spotted the neighbor girl I had a crush on walking home with her friend. I wanted to impress her and I thought popping a wheelie would definitely do so.

I never popped a wheelie before; how hard could it be?

Harder than I thought, apparently. I lost total control of the bike and landed on my butt in front of the girl of my dreams. I cracked the crankcase, spilling oil. The girls helped me and my bike up and walked with me to my house. I blamed the accident on a pothole. I don’t think they believed me.

Another bike embarrassment: I was going to school in Cleveland and had 3 roommates. One of them wanted to buy a motorcycle on the other side of Cleveland and asked that I drive it home for him, since this was his first bike (at that time, I had a Kawasaki Z-1 900—a real road rocket back in the day). I said, “sure!”

Well, he took hours negotiating for his bike and it was dark out when the sale was complete. I had my night visor on my helmet and didn’t bother to take it off for the ride home because it was freezing cold.

On the highway back to Cleveland Heights, I wanted to see what his bike could do, so I opened up the throttle. It was fast. My 3 roommates had a hard time keeping up in the car behind me.

When I got to the exit ramp, I didn’t see the construction sign and there was a significant grade level difference on the off-ramp (thanks to my night visor, I didn’t see it). I leaned into the ramp, but the front wheel caught the grade difference and kept going straight. I hit the road hard and the bike and I skidded a long way down the highway, sparks flying all the way. I heard the car behind me (containing my roommates) skid to a halt. Then I heard them running toward me, asking if I was ok.

I did a quick body check and realized I wasn’t hurt at all (thanks to the leathers and helmet I was wearing). But, when my roommate saw that I totaled his brand new bike, I figured he’d kill me. If one thing doesn’t kill you, another thing will. Zero sum game.

So, I had a choice: take the wrath of my roommate like a noble man, or act like I was seriously hurt and garner the sympathy of my 3 roommates.

I did what any red-blooded American would do. I played dead. It worked. After the bike was towed away, I got lots of love on the ride home.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Wait, what year and what city was this in? I remember a friend’s mom once told a story about how she was at a bookstore once and “some big retarded guy, an adult man with the brain of an 8 year old” blocked her in, gave her a Dutch Oven, and ran off laughing with his guardian. Said it was the weirdest thing to ever happen to her.

She was like 75-80 (guessing) when she related this and that was 10 years ago...

NO WAY
Daytona, FL 98’-99’
Across the street from the Speedway.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
As for my own stories of funny self-humiliation, two come to mind. Both times, I took it in my head to test "cartoon physics" in the real world, with immediate results.

The first one, fortunately for me, happened when I was alone, with no witnesses. Assigned to rake stuff in our backyard one Fall, I noticed that the rake I happened to be using was not one of those flexible type rakes, but a hard metal rake. "Hey, let's see what happens if I step on the rake like happens in Tom and Jerry!" I dropped the rake on the ground, tines pointed up, and stepped on it - rather gingerly, or so I thought. But much, MUCH faster than I expected or could react, WHAM! The pole handle flew right up and hit me in the forehead so hard I literally saw sparks. Hey, just like in Tom and Jerry!

The second one happened in the school cafeteria, at lunchtime. I had just eaten a banana.

"Hey," I said to the 2 or 3 friends I was hanging out with, "I wonder if a banana peel is really as slippery as they make it out to be in cartoons."
"Why not find out?"
"Good idea!" So I dropped the banana peel onto the tiled cafeteria floor, splayed out and face down in the classic image, and we waited.

Nobody stepped on it. They all stepped around it.

So, in the name of science, I went over and put my foot on it myself.

IMMEDIATELY my foot shot out from under me, the peel flew into the air and landed a good 15 feet away, and I landed hard on my tailbone while jamming my shoulder slightly trying to catch my fall.

This was apparently very funny to witness.
Funny to read, too.

Just a thought: Things like garden hoses, exhaust pipes, gun barrels... If nothing's coming out, don't look inside.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Locked myself out of a hotel room naked at 2am once. Had to go down to the front desk buck naked. Apparently I mistook the room entry door for the bathroom door.
Never mix large quantities of alcohol and ambien without first putting a chair or other large object in front of the entry door, kids!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 PM

I took my girlfriend to see "Ishtar" and she laughed out loud a few times, while everyone else was groaning. So mortifying.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

In Tasmania for a family wedding. (I'm just an uncle - no-one important - no one important in the wedding party, but, still, it's a small wedding, so I am noticeable).

Early afternoon wedding - current time is just after lunchtime (1 hour before wedding - the wife had long gone back home for girly preparations, but I'm a bloke and only need half-an-hour to get ready). So I'm killing time walking through the Tourist market. See a shop selling kitchen knives (a subject I know nothing about, but hey, I'm a bloke so I can look learned and pretend to be knowledgeable). I pick up this strange professional-looking cutting tool, and chat with the proprieter. When I go to put it back, I accidentally drop it, but being a bloke and quick on my feet, I catch it before it hits the ground.

Profeesional-looking cutting tool it was. In catching it, I managed to slice my palm. However, by quickly clenching my fist, I can muffle the pain, and stop any bleeding - until the proprieter asks 'Hey, do you know you are bleeding all over my stall?". To cut a long story short, I make my way back to the hotel to inspect situation. Hmm - not good - have left a trail of blood from the market to here. Absolutely flowing from a huge cut. Wife comes out of bathroom (naturally I couldn't get to bathroom immediately as it was completely blocked by hair care products, moisturisers, makeups, hair straighteners and other magical things I know nothing about). On seeing my situation, wife does 3 things:

1. Calls me a very rude word.
2. Says 'Well, I'm not taking you to hospital - it's too late. We're going to the wedding'.
3. Says 'And keep away from me - I don't want any of your blood on this outfit. By the way, do these shoes go with the belt?'.

I go to the wedding. I keep my fist clenched (holding various towels, wadding etc). Get some friendly comments, like 'Good to see you again, Wallaby. Hey, you're bleeding'. I mumble some feeble diversionary excuse. I do NOT hug the bride.

13 stitches inserted between wedding and reception. Wife advises 'Do not tell anyone about this - they don't need to know you're a (rude word) (very rude word) moron'. So it remains our little secret - until I get to my second drink at the reception.

Last edited by Wallaby; Yesterday at 04:43 PM.
Old Today, 09:56 AM

I was in high school. I was in the kitchen bugging my sister by making weird sound effects. I can't remember the purpose of this. She walks into the living room and I'm following her making these stupid sound effects. I go into the living room while making these noises and there was what may be the most popular girl in high school. Apparently she had some business with one of my parents.
Old Today, 01:58 PM

We have two soccer teams in Orlando, one male and one female. Friends of mine are season ticket holders for the female team and the team did an around-Orlando scavenger hunt for their season ticket holders and their friends. The grand prize was going into the field at halftime to be recognized and back onto the field after the game to get autographs. The scavenger hunt was super competitive and my team won by a combination of skill and dumb luck. However, it was because of the dumb luck that we beat the number 2 team who was super salty about losing. Keep in mind that Mrs. Cups and I like going to the games and are fans of the team, but don't have season tickets, so we're pretty excited to win and meet the players.

Fast forward to the end of the game and the team we beat literally has front-row season tickets right where the players constantly sign autographs...so winning literally would have meant nothing to them. But that didn't stop them from chirping about how it wasn't fair we won. Two of the players on our own team walked up and was making some nice small talk with me because they're nice when this exchange happens:

Salty Loser: You know, she's on the Australian national team and is really good

Me (annoyed with Salty Loser and trying to save face): Ugh. Yeah. I know.

Player: Ok then....what's my name?

The only thing I could do was turn to Salty Loser and say "You know, I blame you for this" because I had no idea what to do. What made it even worse (better?) was the player chuckled to herself and say "Hi I'm (name), nice to meet you...what's yours?" I was so embarrassed and the fact that the player was so damn nice sweet about it made me feel even worse.
Old Today, 01:59 PM

My story was SO important I posted it twice

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; Today at 01:59 PM.
Old Today, 04:16 PM

I was maybe 8 years old, and at summer church camp. I walked out of my cabin without any pants on. Later that day, I walked two laps around the fenced-in swimming pool before finding the entrance-- which wasn't part of the fence; you had to enter through the locker room.

I got "honored" by getting to wear a grass-stained 2XL white T-shirt with the words "BOOB OF THE DAY" on it. I rocked that thing, though. I wore it with pride.