Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quarantine Entertainment Freebies and Early Release Things

With the pretty much nation-wide(world-wide?) quarantine and social distancing going on, many entertainers and companies are releasing things early and putting stuff up free for all of us. What have you found or seen that has been cool?

Nine Inch Nails just released two new albums entirely free. It's that "Ghosts" stuff that isn't as good, but Reznor wrapped them up and gave them away for the quarantine. Note: his site has been down today due to traffic, but they are permanently free I believe, so no rush.

Audible has made many(all?) of their children's audiobooks freely stream for the next while. No downloading or owning them free, but many kids books are now streaming free of charge.

My personal favorite: Within Temptation, one of my favorite bands, did a live acoustic concert online. It's actually just two of them, but it is still really fun of them.

What is some of the better stuff you have seen be offered because of the quarantine?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Good idea for a thread. Some movies, like Disney/Pixar's Onward, are going to streaming very soon after being in the theaters. Others, like Trolls: World Tour, are skipping the theaters entirely and going directly to streaming. Comcast claims it has a bunch of stuff available for free On Demand, but I don't know exactly what.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:43 AM

I watch A LOT of documentaries, and both Smithsonian and BBC Earth, which I normally don't have access to, seem to be extending their free trial periods considerably. Hooray!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Good idea for a thread. Some movies, like Disney/Pixar's Onward, are going to streaming very soon after being in the theaters. Others, like Trolls: World Tour, are skipping the theaters entirely and going directly to streaming. Comcast claims it has a bunch of stuff available for free On Demand, but I don't know exactly what.
Onward is for sale now, but is also hitting Disney+ for streaming April 3 I think. Insanely quick since it just came out.

My wife and I watched The Invisible Man, which also just hit theaters and went on TV super quickly.

It was actually quite good.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Amazon Prime has a "In cinema now" section. I was able to watch "The Hunt" last week on it. (Not for free though)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Movies and TV to watch free online. I'm not sure if this is available due to the quarantine, but it is a good freebie that might not be well-known.

https://www.imdb.com/tv/
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Burger King is giving two free kids meals to anyone who buys even $1 through the mobile app. My family ate BK dinner for very little cash the other day.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Amazon Prime has a "In cinema now" section. I was able to watch "The Hunt" last week on it. (Not for free though)
At $19.95 to rent, I think I'll wait for these to stream on cable.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Piled Higher and Deeper, AKA PhD Comics, is a webcomic about life (or the lack thereof) in grad school. The comic itself has been almost nonexistent lately, but a few years back, the creator actually made a couple of movies. They're now online for free.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Burger King is giving two free kids meals to anyone who buys even $1 through the mobile app. My family ate BK dinner for very little cash the other day.
So did we, and stashed some applesauce and chocolate milk from the kids meals for the next day.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:28 PM

In our house, we heard that Scholastic.com has offered their entire library of content for free during this mess. It's made daily lesson planning for a 4-year old about 1.5 hours shorter, which is a godsend.

We also purchased Onward (if you buy it on FandangoNow.com, use the code "HOME" for a 20% discount). My wife had been planning on taking the 4 year old to see it in the theaters, and that didn't happen - so we saved money, considering the price of tickets and popcorn these days.

CBS Access is free right now as well. I'll be checking out "Picard" soon.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post

CBS Access is free right now as well. I'll be checking out "Picard" soon.
I believe Picard is going to be free for over a month and CBS Access for just awhile.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

The Metropolitan Opera is offering free streaming of one opera from its repertory each day, available starting at 7:30 pm through 3:30 pm the following day. They started Wagner's Ring on Tuesday, so it's Siegfried today, and Gotterdammerung tomorrow.

On the first day they offered this (last Monday, I think), their website and their Roku app were both overloaded, so we couldn't watch Carmen, but we have since seen La Boheme, La Fille du Regiment, and Tristan und Isolde.

Last edited by commasense; 03-26-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: corrected schedule
Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 PM

I loved Neil Diamond's PSA on youtube, "Hands, Washing Hands"
Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I believe Picard is going to be free for over a month and CBS Access for just awhile.
I signed up just the other day (a few hours after Stewart announced it) and double-checked that I won't be billed at all for CBS all-access until the 24th of next month.

-

The e-mail I got from Comcast said you can find the free content by saying "free" into your voice remote. I checked out a lot of what they had available via that method. Some of it's not bad, but it's pretty much stuff you might find surfing around at random, like movies you might see on TBS or whatever. Still, that's probably pretty nice for someone who doesn't do the streaming services.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra replay is entirely free during the coronavirus situation.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Quote:
No. It's their entire library. This is the second time someone on this board said it was only Picard. I don't understand why?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/25/2...ar-trek-picard
Quote:
The month-long trial doesnít just give access to Picard, though; itíll give viewers free access to the entire CBS All Access catalog, which includes every Star Trek show ever made (including CBS All Access exclusive Star Trek: Discovery), Cheers, CSI, CSI: Miami, Frasier, The Good Wife, The Good Fight, all of the NCIS shows, Survivor, The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, and more. Youíll also get access to live CBS broadcasts from your local station.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
No. It's their entire library. This is the second time someone on this board said it was only Picard. I don't understand why?
Because as of earlier this week, it was just Picard. They only opened up the rest of Access on like Wednesday, I think.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Right. In another thread someone linked to a space.com article about the Picard series freebie, which said, "On Twitter today, Stewart announced that Trek fans in the United States can now watch "Star Trek: Picard" for free on CBS All Access using the code "GIFT." The code is valid through April 23, so you'll have to act soon to binge the series.

CBS All Access is a subscription service that starts at $5.99 a month. In addition to the free "Picard" episodes, you can try CBS All Access for a week free here."

So the offer changed.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Because as of earlier this week, it was just Picard. They only opened up the rest of Access on like Wednesday, I think.
Ah, thank you. I had not heard they went free across the board for the month.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Locast is free (really it's 'nag free' as it's sort of free in a crippled form before) but you have to send a request in to them explaining why you can't pony up the $5/month.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Explore museums of the world online: https://artsandculture.google.com/st...igKSKBBnEBSGKg

I might be the only one who doesn't know about www.vudu.com. They have lots of free tv and movie content along with paid content. It will ask for your credit card when you sign up; you can skip that. It does have ads.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Vudu is awesome. We use it all the time. It’s also the place we watch movies we’ve gotten digital codes for. Know those slips of paper inside DVD and Blu-ray boxes with a big code on them? Vudu is (one of) the place you can watch them on.