Old 12-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
This just happened today, so it's likely that all details are not in. But Armed churchgoers shoot man who entered church and started shooting people.

From the news article: "A gunman walked in to a North Texas church and opened fire Sunday morning, killing one person and critically wounding another before being fatally shot by parishioners, authorities said."
That is a rough story. The service was being simulcasted on youtube. An HD link to the broadcast is at liveleak.

It appears the gunman was stopped from a larger rampage by either/or concealed weapons license holders/armed church security. The first to get shot, and his wounds look bad, was someone who recognized a danger, but was too slow on the draw to stop it himself. That's why his right hand looked so awkward, high and behind his hip: he's trying to draw a pistol. His sacrifice, and that of an usher, did distract the gunman enough that a second armed churchgoer was able to head-shoot the gunman before the gunman was able to accurately shoot at the pastor. The gunman still got a third, unarmed shot off from what I understand is a shotgun.

No doubt the gunman will be found to have multiple prior crimes of violence in his criminal history.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Security teams in a church are recent development. It's regrettable that they are needed.

Armed parishioners and security made the difference and prevented a mass shooting.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Security teams in a church are recent development. It's regrettable that they are needed.

Armed parishioners and security made the difference and prevented a mass shooting.
The thing is---and I haven't seen this to confirm it for myself---there were several non church security officers, i.e. ordinary, CHL-holding churchgoers---who drew and were ready to try and stop that piece of shit. I have no idea what the status of the guy who died, or the guy who killed the gunman, was, but there were a lot of good guys with guns there. And absent overwatch, like how the Garland Texas, 'Draw Mohammed Day' went, that's about as good as you can do. I would have like one of the exterior ushers/security to have noticed the gunman was distressed, and asked for reinforcements, but you play the cards you're dealt.

I'll toast that fat, older white guy, who got blasted first, in Valhalla should I be fortunate enough to meet him. He saved a bunch of people by (unintentionally) sacrificing himself to the gunman's first shot.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:24 PM

It seems like robbers are getting bolder and bolder. It's not enough to rob one guy. Now they think it's ok to rob a group at a cookout?

Glad a armed guest was there that could respond.
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/01/11/...st-dallas/amp/
Quote:
Just before midnight Jan. 10, police responded to a shooting call in the 3400 block of Chicago Street, where witnesses stated they were having a cookout in the covered area of the front patio.

Witnesses told officers that three male suspects approached the house and that two of the males were armed with handguns — demanding property.

One witness, who was only visiting the residence, is a licensed handgun carrier and shot one of the suspects. His identity is unknown at this time but after being interviewed by police, he was released, pending a grand jury referral.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-13-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

From last month in Limestone County, Alabama, a man and a woman got into an argument at a local home; the woman drove away from the residence but the man pursued the woman in his own car. The man followed the woman onto the interstate, attempting to block her car and even run it off the road. After she exited the interstate and stopped her car the man began beating on the woman's car, but after the woman pulled a pistol, he fled the scene. The woman drove to a police station and reported the incident, and the man was subsequently arrested and charged with reckless endangerment (and also possession of methamphetamine).
Old 01-21-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Tampa, Florida, two teenagers (at least one of whom was armed) forced their way into a house on a Saturday evening. One of the residents of the home shot both teenagers with his own gun, wounding both, one fatally. Sheriff's deputies also found two other teenagers in a car at the scene and believe they were also involved in the home invasion.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

From last week in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, the rather bizarre story of a husband and wife whose vehicle got stuck in someone else's yard. The husband then attempted to force his way through the front door of the house, but retreated after being confronted by a resident of the home. The husband then got a shovel and broke out a bathroom window, at which point he was shot and killed by the resident. The wife has been arrested.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

From last week near Lima, Ohio, two men armed with handguns attempted to rob a store, but when they saw the cashier was also armed, they ran away without getting any money. No shots were fired and no one was injured; authorities are seeking the two would-be armed robbers.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this week in Danville, Illinois, several people armed with handguns kicked in the door of a home on Sunday evening. The homeowner got his own handgun and fired at the intruders, fatally injuring one of them. The other would-be home invaders fled the scene; so far, no arrests have been made.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Kokomo, Indiana, a man broke into an apartment on a Sunday evening. The intruder was shot and wounded by the resident of the apartment.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

From a few days ago in Cape Coral, Florida, the passenger of a rideshare car pulled a knife on the driver. The driver ordered the passenger to get out of the car, and when the passenger did not comply, the driver pulled a gun on the passenger, who then exited the vehicle. The erstwhile passenger was later arrested on a charge of aggravated assault.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 AM

Katia Sastre, a off duty cop shoots robber threatening mother's & their children in front of a school.

I'm guessing the officer was there picking up her kid? She obviously was well trained and prepared. I was impressed by her calmness and professionalism.

https://nypost.com/video/hero-mom-sa...site%20buttons

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-07-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Two officers wounded and gunman killed in a shootout at a WalMart Supercenter in Forrest City, Arkansas. No reports of any other injuries.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
From last week in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, the rather bizarre story of a husband and wife whose vehicle got stuck in someone else's yard. The husband then attempted to force his way through the front door of the house, but retreated after being confronted by a resident of the home. The husband then got a shovel and broke out a bathroom window, at which point he was shot and killed by the resident. The wife has been arrested.
Meth? God, I dunno. That is crazy.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Katia Sastre, a off duty cop shoots robber threatening mother's & their children in front of a school.

I'm guessing the officer was there picking up her kid? She obviously was well trained and prepared. I was impressed by her calmness and professionalism.

https://nypost.com/video/hero-mom-sa...site%20buttons
Dramatic video but dated May 2018.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

From about a week ago in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a masked man started beating someone with a baseball bat in a Walmart parking lot on a Saturday morning. The attacker broke off the attack and left the scene when a witness to the attack drew a gun. The attacker was later arrested, and local police credit the armed witness with keeping a brutal and apparently random attack from being even worse.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

This story from Leesburg, Florida is dated yesterday, but is actually about events which happened a couple of weeks ago. A man in a convenience store punched and kicked another man, injuring the victim seriously enough to leave "a large amount of blood on the floor" and sending the victim to a local hospital, and also physically assaulted at least one other person in the store. Another customer with a concealed carry permit then interrupted the attack by holding the attacker at gunpoint until police arrived. The attacker was arrested, and the armed citizen's firearm was returned to him by the police (who had temporarily secured it after arriving at the scene).
Old 03-17-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

From three days ago in El Cerrito, California, a man broke into the home of a family (a man, his wife, and their young daughter) a little after 1 a.m. The male occupant of the house armed himself and confronted the intruder while the woman and child sheltered in a bedroom and the woman called police. When the intruder refused to respond to the homeowner, the homeowner shot and fatally wounded the intruder.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this month in Tacoma, Washington, a man grabbed a woman as she was walking home and started choking her. A neighbor armed with a gun confronted the attacker, who then broke off the attack. The assailant (who seems to have been having some kind of mental breakdown) was then arrested by the police and charged with assault.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
From three days ago in El Cerrito, California, a man broke into the home of a family (a man, his wife, and their young daughter) a little after 1 a.m. The male occupant of the house armed himself and confronted the intruder while the woman and child sheltered in a bedroom and the woman called police. When the intruder refused to respond to the homeowner, the homeowner shot and fatally wounded the intruder.
I'm terribly sorry but I don't understand how this is positive.

the intruder was "failing to respond" - not beating, raping, throwing around the room or anything else.

How is it good that he is now dead and the homeowner has to live with killing someone?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Why is it that about 90% of the stories you are espousing as "good" involve a dead gunman who should never have had access to a handgun in the first place?

A great proportion of your "positive" stories read to me much more like arguments for better background checks, stricter regulations on concealed carry and stronger community support for mental rather than "yay - let's be happy about the good guy with a gun"
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
From earlier this week in Danville, Illinois, several people armed with handguns kicked in the door of a home on Sunday evening. The homeowner got his own handgun and fired at the intruders, fatally injuring one of them. The other would-be home invaders fled the scene; so far, no arrests have been made.
"Armed with handguns" = poor gun control
Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
From a couple of weeks ago in Tampa, Florida, two teenagers (at least one of whom was armed) forced their way into a house on a Saturday evening. One of the residents of the home shot both teenagers with his own gun, wounding both, one fatally. Sheriff's deputies also found two other teenagers in a car at the scene and believe they were also involved in the home invasion.
Teenagers with guns - where'd the guns come from?
Man - lucky thing that guns are so easy to get so that the home owner could protect himself against guns
Old 03-18-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post

the intruder was "failing to respond" - not beating, raping, throwing around the room or anything else.

How is it good that he is now dead and the homeowner has to live with killing someone?
A man broke into a house (not a business) in the wee hours of the morning on a Saturday (when a reasonable person--or even an unreasonable person--might expect the people who lived there to be home). There was a family, including a young child, in the house.

The man who lived in the house had a gun, and he "shouted" for the invader to leave. When I said the attacker "refused to respond", what I mean was, he didn't say "Oh, there's someone living here! And they have a gun! I think I shall go somewhere else now!". (Or even just leave, without saying anything.) The attacker continued attacking; he continued trying to break into a house, in the middle of the night, where a family was living, and where he knew the residents were home. What did he want to do? Maybe nothing too awful would have happened--or maybe the intruder wanted to do something unspeakably horrible. The people who live in that house didn't have to find out the hard way which it was.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Some consider getting to shoot someone legally as a positive.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

From last week in Amarillo, Texas a man was arrested after being caught breaking into a car in the early hours of the morning; the victim of the attempted theft caught the man in the act and held the perpetrator at gunpoint until police arrived.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this month in Kingston, Wisconsin, a man (who had reportedly been using methamphetamine) broke into a house in the early hours of a weekday morning. When the homeowner confronted the man, the intruder left, but soon returned with a knife and attempted to force his way back into the home while threatening to kill the occupants of the house. The homeowner then shot the intruder with a handgun. The knife-wielding home invader was charged with multiple felonies after being released from the hospital.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

From last month in Oklahoma City, a man initially suspected a squirrel had gotten into his attic, but then decided that whatever it was seemed to be bigger than that--maybe a raccoon or an opossum--so the homeowner took a rifle with him when he went to investigate. It turned out that a man had gotten into his attic and was "camped out" there on a mattress. The homeowner held the attic burglar at gunpoint until police arrived.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Woman Shot Dead After Opening Fire at Others

Quote:
Police say video showed the woman involved in an earlier altercation in the parking lot of the business because of parking.

She left and then returned shortly after, firing at people standing outside the business, police said. The man with a concealed carry permit returned fire, shooting and killing the woman.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Why is it that about 90% of the stories you are espousing as "good" involve a dead gunman who should never have had access to a handgun in the first place?

A great proportion of your "positive" stories read to me much more like arguments for better background checks, stricter regulations on concealed carry and stronger community support for mental rather than "yay - let's be happy about the good guy with a gun"
Now, now, now, this thread is for 2nd Amendment misinterpreters to have their fun. That's why it's in MPSIMS instead of GD, where they'd be forced to defend themselves.

It's one thread, mostly used by a handful of posters. And I can sorta see their point. America still has a Wild West feel and, good guys and bad, some people like that. I don't have the statistics at hand comparing the good guy with a gun incidents with the gun accidents because someone, a child or a moron with his nine stuck in his pants, had no business near a gun, but I don't think some people care.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I don't have the statistics at hand comparing the good guy with a gun incidents with the gun accidents because someone, a child or a moron with his nine stuck in his pants, had no business near a gun, but I don't think some people care.
Statistics on "defensive gun uses" are all over the place. You can find estimates as low as 60,000+ a year, or as high as over 1 million a year. ("Defensive gun use" doesn't necessarily mean someone was shot, let alone killed, as many of the anecdotal stories in this thread show.)

Accidental gun deaths (not deliberate suicides, and not deliberate homicides--murder or non-negligent manslaughter) run to fewer than 500 a year, down significantly (from over 800 a year) from 20 years ago.