Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Last time I was out of the house for shopping, all the bread loaves were like dust in the wind ... but the gluten-free remained. Nobody wants to eat that shit unless you really HAVE to.
The bread man showed up at my store while I was there. He was mobbed. I asked if he was making a ton of money with all the OT he maybe was getting. He said he would if the fucking gubbment would stop taking it all in taxes. Poor guy.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:01 AM

I've been in about 6 grocery stores in the past month and the things I remember distinctly still being everywhere despite their aisle neighbors being completely out.

1. Chocolate milk

2. Canned Pineapple

3. Beyond Meat Burger Patties

4. Greek Yogurt

5. Gallons of Water

6. Plain White Bread

7. Oxy Power Degreaser (maybe because it doesn't say Dish Soap on the label people got confused?)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

When the fifth horseman of the apocalypse, panic buying, hit here I was in a supermarket devoid of pasta other than fusilli and penne. What is most surprising to me is that, other than shape, they are all the same bloody thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post

Over in the dry goods, 99% of the soap is gone. But nobody seems to be buying Dove. Personally, I prefer Ivory, but can anybody explain why Dove would be unpopular?
Same here at my local supermarket, lots of Dove and bottles of Non-detergent body wash left, all other soap has been cleaned out
Old 03-25-2020, 02:14 AM

The grocery store near me was cleared out of all canned fruits and veggies except for a pallet of canned corn that had clearly just arrived - and cheap, too! 69˘ a fan - all paper goods, and all kitty litter this morning. Most of the cat food was also gone. However, there was still quite a bit of canned dog food.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Nobody is buying home-brand kitchen wipes in my neck of the woods, but every Chux was gone. And couldn't buy Salada crackers, but plenty of some weird small Premium crackers. I'm good though...still got butter and Vegemite.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:25 AM

I walked down the wine aisle in Sainsbury's in London on Saturday. It was almost completely cleared out except for the expensive brands, but for three exceptions: mulled wine, prosecco, and alcohol-free wine. Canned lager was also completely sold out, but bottled ales and craft beers were still available. Cream of chicken soup was completely gone along with many others, but cream of mushroom and lobster bisque were available. In the meat aisle, chicken and minced beef were sold out, but steaks were still available. Canned vegetables were mostly sold out including all the canned beans, but it seemed like nobody was touching the canned palm hearts. Except the one kind soul who apparently purchased a can and then dropped it into the store's food bank donations box.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 AM

I made a trip to the local grocer yesterday with a list of maybe 6 items.

They had toilet paper, paper towels, bread, meat.

Jalapeno peppers (jarred)? Totally bare shelf.

mmm
Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Regarding frozen broccoli, I'll cook it in the steamer, the same way I do fresh broccoli, and I don't really notice a difference. We inhale a lot of broccoli in this household.

Around here, beef seems to disappear, but there's lots of chicken to be had in the meat section. And lots of frozen fish steaks. I guess people love their dead cow.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Regarding frozen broccoli, I'll cook it in the steamer, the same way I do fresh broccoli, and I don't really notice a difference. We inhale a lot of broccoli in this household.
Maybe it was a poor quality brand I bought, but once was enough and never again. I thought it was mushy and nasty, as if you boiled fresh broccoli for something like 15 minutes. I even tried frying it straight from the packet, and it was still mushy.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
99% of the canned soup was gone. Except onion soup. Which is awesome for cooking. Snatched 4 cans up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
In my town, it is cream of mushroom that nobody is hoarding.
mbh, same here, the soup aisle at Krogers (N. Alabama) was pretty much bare, but there were several cases of Cream of Mushroom available.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stafford Cripps View Post
Maybe it was a poor quality brand I bought, but once was enough and never again. I thought it was mushy and nasty, as if you boiled fresh broccoli for something like 15 minutes. I even tried frying it straight from the packet, and it was still mushy.
Yeah, while I do like a lot of frozen vegetables (peas and corn for example), I've never had broccoli come out with a texture I like from frozen. Same with frozen green beans (that said, better than canned for most of my purposes.)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Why all the okra hate?
My rule of thumb: Any food that someone has to say "But you never had it cooked right." is suspect.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aghhhh! Okra stewed with fresh corn kernels and onion and tomatoes is “Southern succotash.” I’m a lifelong Yankee, but I look forward to the summer harvest so I can make that shit. Goes great with BBQ, fried chicken, or panfried po’k chops.
I find okra to be a reasonably common food aversion, such that I generally shy away from making okra dishes for dinner parties or potlucks. But my favorite okra dishes are the various South Asian ones, like the simple bhindi masala or bhinda nu shaak. I just love the stuff and is the first thing I look for at the various Indian functions I work at.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCatherine View Post
My store had paper towels available - as long as you wanted the brown, unbleached kind sold by the single roll.
In my town, they are sold out of all paper towels except that blue stuff that you used to see in gas station restrooms.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck View Post
Chef Boyardee ravioli.... was my first choice when I started stocking up on canned food, because I remember liking it when I was twelve.
AHHHH!!!! Chef Borardee in a can!!! The stuff of memories........

Just wait till you open the can, and discover........................that you aren't twelve any more.

(I liked it, too,................. when I was a kid.)
Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM

No eggs, except the expensive ones from the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve (Entlebuch) They are approximately 1 CHF per egg.

Otherwise the shelves are mostly full, but the panic buying was on March 13th, when they closed the schools, so we've recovered, mostly. It really depends on where you are, because I live in a small town, with 3 other grocery stores, which are all discount stores. Probably the discount stores are a bit emptier, but I'm lazy and prefer to go to the one that's closest to me.

My cousin in Texas mentioned there were still Vienna sausages on the shelves. I would also leave them there.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Chef Boyardee isn't too bad--you'll just likely need to add something to it to counter the sweetness.

I am loving that gluten free stuff is less likely to be sold out. I snagged some cereal from Amazon, for about the same price as the normal name brands. (Though not as cheap as the store brands.)

BTW, anyone got any recipes for a huge deal of xanthan gum? Got it for $7 well before all this started to thicken up those dairy-free egg nogs, but now it's taking up space.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Nobody's making lasagna. Last time I was at the local Safeway, the pasta section was stripped bare - every box of spaghetti, linguini, penne, elbows, rotini, and even the weird ones like fusilli and orzo were gone. But dozens of boxes of lasagna noodles were still there.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
Nobody's making lasagna. Last time I was at the local Safeway, the pasta section was stripped bare - every box of spaghetti, linguini, penne, elbows, rotini, and even the weird ones like fusilli and orzo were gone. But dozens of boxes of lasagna noodles were still there.
Huh. And the thing is, even if you don't want to make lasagna, just break up those noodles and use them that way!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPang View Post
I won't buy Okara even I'm starving...I hate its sticky nature and I do not another way to cook it despite deep-frying until its stickiness vanishes.
Then you should try it freeze dried. It makes a great tasting crunchy snack. And much healthier than Cheetos.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Around here, the gluten-free stuff went really early. One of my friends is celiac (and severely lactose and soy intolerant) and has been pretty stuck... I mean, it's normally bad enough for her finding stuff to eat.

The meat alternatives seem to be going at about the same rate as the meat round here. Though it all got a bit insane for a while, it's reputedly calming down and now almost everything bar toilet paper is back in stock. I've not been out this week, so I haven't checked.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
I wonder if that may have just been a random restock. This is definitely one time when everybody actually has the time to make lasagna.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I wonder if that may have just been a random restock. This is definitely one time when everybody actually has the time to make lasagna.
You're assuming people have the know-how or desire to make lasagna. With most shapes, it's just dump in some some sauce to cooked pasta and you're done with it. Lasagna takes a lot more steps (though, as I mention, you can break it up into pieces and achieve the same result as with the "throw a bunch of noodles and sauce together" method.)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I've noticed at a few different stores this week that the 'classic hummus' is all sold out, or close to it, but if you want one of the funky flavored kinds of hummus, they're there in abundance.

Re paper towels: this morning, I was able to buy TP (Charmin ultra-soft), Kleenex, and napkins, but didn't see paper towels anywhere. (That's no big deal: we use them mostly for kitchen cleanup, and dish towels can be used for most of those jobs. I would kinda like to pick up another 6-pack, though.)
Old 03-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Chef Boyardee isn't too bad--you'll just likely need to add something to it to counter the sweetness.
Interestingly enough I like Chef Boyardee and when I make pasta now I always add sugar to the tomato sauce to make it sweeter. Different strokes fot different folks, I guess
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
From what I've seen online, chocolate hummus doesn't seem to be moving off the shelves during these pandemic days.
I love chocolate, and I love hummus, but those probably do not go together the way chocolate and peanut butter do.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 PM

In my corner of Brooklyn, the local Trader Joe's had a block-long line to get in the other day. There's a Key Food a block away, no line, no problem.

It's pretty well stocked, but very low on canned vegetables. Otherwise, shelves were stocked and they were actually packing out a bunch of stuff that had been delivered that morning.

Can't remember what their toilet paper situation was -- I wasn't looking for any.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

A friend posted on Facebook the most North Carolina picture I've ever seen. It was of a grocery store shelf full of mayonnaise: plenty of Hellman's, Kraft, store brand, even Miracle Whip.

The largest section--reserved for Dukes--was empty.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 PM

"Ranch" beans in a can, lots. What the hell, them things are great in so many things!!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 AM

Local Safeway pasta aisle completely empty except:
Spaghetti (just a few boxes of one brand-looked like they had maybe restocked)
Lasagna noodles
Ditalini
All gluten-free/non-wheat pastas

Why the ditalini hate? I would think that people might be making soup.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Local Safeway pasta aisle completely empty except:

Spaghetti (just a few boxes of one brand-looked like they had maybe restocked)

Lasagna noodles

Ditalini

All gluten-free/non-wheat pastas

Why the ditalini hate? I would think that people might be making soup.
They strike me as more of a filler than a foundation.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 AM

Wait--- removing because this is a thread about food! Don't eat bleach, y'all!

Last edited by Biggirl; 03-26-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 AM

I needed some alcohol wipes for my insulin injections. All they had was Curad brand, which are small and flimsy. I bought them anyway, but hate them.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Last time I was out of the house for shopping, all the bread loaves were like dust in the wind ... but the gluten-free remained. Nobody wants to eat that shit unless you really HAVE to.
Same with lactose-free milk. Expensive, and tastes awful.

Gluten-free wheat bread is always heavy, the same for bread made with spelt.

Regarding okra, it's very much a love it or loathe it thing. Mainly due to the sliminess, the taste is OK.

Hint for broccoli and cauliflower haters: never over-cook it, and it is better if a bit under-cooked and then fried.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Circus Peanuts
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, while I do like a lot of frozen vegetables (peas and corn for example), I've never had broccoli come out with a texture I like from frozen. Same with frozen green beans (that said, better than canned for most of my purposes.)
I highly recommend frozen green beans from Trader Joe's. I think they call them haricot verts and they are indeed the thin, young bean. Delicious.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Just got back from a grocery run (2 stores, same chain, about 2 miles apart). Got to use the Golden Oldies entrance and shopping time for the first time! TP was sparse at one store and totally gone at the other. Canned veggies were all restocked at both stores, and the liquor and produce sections were full to overflowing. Good luck on finding frozen veggies, however. Nothing but bare freezer cases. Starting to see some distribution delays in cat litter as well. Dairy was full, but cheese was very picked over. Meat cases packed.

What seemed to be around in great abundance was any item that was "reduced sodium." Regular chicken stock? Nope. Reduced sodium? Cases of it.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM

Yep, the yogurt shelves are nearly totally stocked as always. And nobody is buying coffee or tea. Ditto for various fruit juices.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Circus Peanuts
I loved those when I was a small child. Don't think I've eaten them since, and I'm tempted now to buy some next time I see them to find out if they really are as nasty as everyone says they are.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM

Last time I was at Target (10 days ago or so) the pasta aisle was empty except for the lentil-bean based pasta, because nobody wants that.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Last time I was at Target (10 days ago or so) the pasta aisle was empty except for the lentil-bean based pasta, because nobody wants that.
LOL I think my wife just bought a box of that at Target yesterday. I don't know if it was voluntary or if that's all they had left. She also got a box of "normal" spaghetti.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Make lots of SOS.
Yum. Me like much. One of the best memories of USAF basic training.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Same with lactose-free milk. Expensive, and tastes awful.

Gluten-free wheat bread is always heavy, the same for bread made with spelt.

Regarding okra, it's very much a love it or loathe it thing. Mainly due to the sliminess, the taste is OK.

Hint for broccoli and cauliflower haters: never over-cook it, and it is better if a bit under-cooked and then fried.
Okra is great in gumbo. On its own, it is great floured and fried. That way it is very tasty and not at all slimy.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
AHHHH!!!! Chef Borardee in a can!!! The stuff of memories........

Just wait till you open the can, and discover........................that you aren't twelve any more.

(I liked it, too,................. when I was a kid.)
I still like it if I am coming down and have the munchies. It is great comfort food.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Although dogs aren't exactly vegan...

Audra Favor: I can't imagine eating a dog and not thinking anything of it.

John Russell: You even been hungry, lady? Not just ready for supper. Hungry enough so that your belly swells?

Audra Favor: I wouldn't care how hungry I got. I know I wouldn't eat one of those camp dogs.

John Russell: You'd eat it. You'd fight for the bones, too.

Audra Favor: Have you ever eaten a dog, Mr. Russell?

John Russell: Eaten one and lived like one.

Hombre (1967)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Aghhhh! Okra stewed with fresh corn kernels and onion and tomatoes is “Southern succotash.” I’m a lifelong Yankee, but I look forward to the summer harvest so I can make that shit. Goes great with BBQ, fried chicken, or panfried po’k chops.
Wife bought some baked okra at Trader J's last week. Bag lasted about 3 minutes. Completely changed my bad opinion of it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:51 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Oh, yeah. Okra gets a totally undeserved bad rap. Yes, it can be slimy if cooked wrong. But do it right and the vegetable is quite versatile. I really like it pickled as a horse ovary.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Oh, yeah. Okra gets a totally undeserved bad rap. Yes, it can be slimy if cooked wrong. But do it right and the vegetable is quite versatile. I really like it pickled as a horse ovary.
Um, what? I don't get the "horse ovary" reference.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Play on words. “Hors d’oeuvres.”