Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Just saw the Bill Murray flick again, and wondered how many times Bill had to relive the same day in order to learn all he had to learn about the PA town Punk-something?
From IMDB:

Quote:
On the DVD, Harold Ramis states that the original idea was for him to live February 2nd for about 10,000 years. Later he says that Phil probably lived the same day for about 10 years.
Aha! That's probably where I got my 10,000-years notion. I'd forgotten about that. But then, of course, Ramis later changed that to 30 or 40 years. I'm sticking with 10,000 years myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygal View Post
Why, at the very end, does he say 'We'll rent first'?
I thought Phil was just making a joke that he knew would go over Rita's head. He's been there for years and years already (how many is obviously open to debate) and knows everything about the town and its people. If he likes it enough to stay, he'd buy, not rent. Renting, in this context, implies that he might learn something about the town that would make him not want to stay there. Fat chance of that.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
I've seen that other movie (SFW).
SFW also has one of the greatest soundtracks of that decade.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Its a MOVIE! you know the answer is going to be like a thousand years or something. But we will never know. Its a little thing movies do like what was in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Purple bladed lightsaber, jeez. Everyone knows that.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBooth12 View Post
Its a MOVIE! you know the answer is going to be like a thousand years or something. But we will never know. Its a little thing movies do like what was in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction
I know exactly what was in that suitcase. It was a MacGuffin.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 AM

A blogger does some calculating here: http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/feat...undhog-day.php

He concludes the total is a shade under 34 years. I think some of his assumptions are faulty, but his approach is solid enough that I think his conclusion is in the right ballpark. Maybe it was 25 years, maybe it was 50, but it doesn't seem to be 100 or 1,000.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 PM

I have nothing to add on the length of the loop, but want to say that Day 36, "Sexually harassing Ned", was my favorite Day.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I've always felt that Phil's line, "Let's live here!" was too much like "He loved Big Brother." It seems to indicate that his spirit has been broken by the ordeal. Imagine a guy in prison for 30 years. He does his time, he's getting out, and... he doesn't want to leave! He knows this world inside out and all the choices available to him on the outside are just too overwhelming.

The scene where he goes joyriding on the railroad tracks is the only scene that even hints at why he became just a sulky, mean bastard in the first place. Apparently his parents made him sit up straight, eat his vegetables and refrain from hitting his sister. Wow, that's rough, dude. Maybe there's more to it than that, but in any case we see that Phil is a guy who can hold on to resentment like nobody's business. He's clearly not stupid, but his bad attitude keeps him from making progress towards becoming a nicer person. He must "waste" a lot of time.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I would love to see a sequel. Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell as they've aged now, and one day it starts happening again. For no discernible reason, of course.
To both of them. That could be pretty damn cool.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a35362 View Post
I've always felt that Phil's line, "Let's live here!" was too much like "He loved Big Brother." It seems to indicate that his spirit has been broken by the ordeal. Imagine a guy in prison for 30 years. He does his time, he's getting out, and... he doesn't want to leave! He knows this world inside out and all the choices available to him on the outside are just too overwhelming....
I think pretty much the total opposite. He hated the place as a nowhere hicksville when he got there. But he learned pretty much everything there was to learn about the town and the people and he grew to love it all.

And his spirit wasn't broken. He remade himself into a better person and learned all kinds of cool skills, though it probably took him a while to decide to do it.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Sorry, this has probably been mentioned (and I can't believe I'M saying this) but isn't the whole point of the film is that he changes enough to consummate a relationship with Andie, his true love?

Ah, love and fate.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

But he doesn't actually consummate it, and he learns to be okay with that.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:41 PM

How many groundhogs for this zombie thread?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
But he doesn't actually consummate it, and he learns to be okay with that.
Sure he does. But it's really by changing himself enough to make it happen.

It seems while he knows he's stuck, he forgets about Andie and only cares about himself, soon he starts to really give a shit about other people, then his fateful love can accept him because he's no longer bad, he's good and good for others.

To me it's basically like the cosmos said, "Okay, news schmuck, you're an asshole. Everyone knows this everywhere you go. But your one true love is the only way out of this, so you better freaking change. If you don't, we'll make you live the day you change over and over until you get it. Mwah ha ha ha haaaa!"

For as much of an ass as he is, I'm leaning towards over a thousand days! Hell, he was even insulted by sharing his name with a groundhog.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
This is the 5th reanimation of this thread. Makes a guy kinda proud.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Sure he does. But it's really by changing himself enough to make it happen.

It seems while he knows he's stuck, he forgets about Andie and only cares about himself, soon he starts to really give a shit about other people, then his fateful love can accept him because he's no longer bad, he's good and good for others.

To me it's basically like the cosmos said, "Okay, news schmuck, you're an asshole. Everyone knows this everywhere you go. But your one true love is the only way out of this, so you better freaking change. If you don't, we'll make you live the day you change over and over until you get it. Mwah ha ha ha haaaa!"

For as much of an ass as he is, I'm leaning towards over a thousand days! Hell, he was even insulted by sharing his name with a groundhog.
It is explicitly said at the end that they did not "do it". Now, the next night...
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
And it's only 3 days late.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

I prefer to think of it as 362 days early.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think pretty much the total opposite. He hated the place as a nowhere hicksville when he got there. But he learned pretty much everything there was to learn about the town and the people and he grew to love it all.

And his spirit wasn't broken. He remade himself into a better person and learned all kinds of cool skills, though it probably took him a while to decide to do it.
But... he's done everything there is to do in Punxsutawney! It ain't no Bedford Falls, ya know!

Wow, but I bet he's weirdly disoriented for a long time afterward. Watch what you say, Phil! No do-overs now!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
SDSAB

I have the oddest feeling that I've posted in this thread before....
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
It is explicitly said at the end that they did not "do it". Now, the next night...
Yes, that's true. But they are talking about buying property in Punxatawney, so I think you're right on "the next night".

So maybe it's "you built yourself to be good, now you're free to spread the goodness" kinda thing??

I'm watching this tonight again. Getting drunk first.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I see what you did there.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark K View Post
A blogger does some calculating here: http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/feat...undhog-day.php

He concludes the total is a shade under 34 years. I think some of his assumptions are faulty, but his approach is solid enough that I think his conclusion is in the right ballpark. Maybe it was 25 years, maybe it was 50, but it doesn't seem to be 100 or 1,000.
I definitely don't like some of his assumptions. Only 7,000 hours to learn to play piano that way? I just don't believe that he knocked that out in only four or five years. But still, it's an interesting exercise and I think he's close enough to argue the point.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 AM

re the OP - if you go by Hollywood standards, where you can learn kungfu with a montage, then less than a hundred years. he wasn't depicted as a jack of all trades, master of none. it was implied that he mastered and perfected everything by that last day. that surely takes several lifetimes to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Goode View Post
Ok, I'm a pedant but two things about the notion that "getting it on" was the solution for advancing to Feb 3:

1. He kissed her many times before when he was trying to seduce her and that never advanced the date.

2. She makes it clear that they didn't do anything much (in the intimate sense) the night before.

My Deepish opinion
I prefer to believe that the movie is about salvation and while the selfish, egocentric Phil Connors continues to use the day for selfish means, he is doomed to repeat it. It is only once he discovers that he can use his situation for the good of others that he is saved from his predicament and Rita comes to love him.
so the cycle was finally broken by True Love's Kiss - the most powerful thing in the world!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
God how many times are you going to keep asking that? I've told you like 24,000 times.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinn View Post
re the OP - if you go by Hollywood standards, where you can learn kungfu with a montage, then less than a hundred years. he wasn't depicted as a jack of all trades, master of none. it was implied that he mastered and perfected everything by that last day. that surely takes several lifetimes to achieve.
As has been discussed further upthread, Phil doesn't need to go to work or anything - he can devote all the time he wants to the pursuit of those skills. He also wasn't exactly playing a Rachmaninov piano concerto, either - he was playing Boogie Woogie on a digital piano, you don't need a lifetime to perfect that, if you put your mind to it and practice every day, as he could.

Same with some of the other stuff - I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot more than a day to really get to know a person from the town (I'm sure he wasn't trying to seduce most of them, like with Rita).
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM
SDSAB

I don't know where you're headed, Ned, but do you think maybe you could call in sick?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
As has been discussed further upthread, Phil doesn't need to go to work or anything - he can devote all the time he wants to the pursuit of those skills. He also wasn't exactly playing a Rachmaninov piano concerto, either - he was playing Boogie Woogie on a digital piano, you don't need a lifetime to perfect that, if you put your mind to it and practice every day, as he could.

Same with some of the other stuff - I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot more than a day to really get to know a person from the town (I'm sure he wasn't trying to seduce most of them, like with Rita).
I'm sure he worked at screwing every attractive woman in town -- who wouldn't? That's probably two days each, one to learn enough about them and one to use the knowledge.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I just realized that his scheduled might get more and more restricted as repeating days continued. He would conceivably discover more and things he would need to do every single day, like saving the kid falling out of the tree -- he even said he saved him every day. And saving the guy from choking, and fixing the other guy's bad back, and changing the tire for the old ladies, and who knows what else. Anything he witnesses that he could intervene to save someone, he would need to intervene every time.

Plus he probably had to rob the armored car almost every day to finance whatever he did the rest of the day, like taking piano lessons every day for years.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

I always wondered why the piano teacher was so proud of him being her student. She had no way of knowing that he had begun lessons with her, she'd only known him for one day.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Good point. And by the time he got that good, he probably would have stopped having lessons and merely practised every so often, so on that day he would never have been her student. Maybe having a "lesson" was the only place to practice. But yeah, from her point of view she had not improved his playing significantly even if she had met him at all.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
Good point. And by the time he got that good, he probably would have stopped having lessons and merely practised every so often, so on that day he would never have been her student. Maybe having a "lesson" was the only place to practice. But yeah, from her point of view she had not improved his playing significantly even if she had met him at all.
I believe that's part of his day of helping people - he makes the teacher believe that he's really never played the piano before, and that he's so good because of her. That's what makes her reaction so funny - of course no sensible teacher would assume they had anything to do with it, but she just wants to be proud of "her" student.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
But he was her student on the last Groundhog Day, because she knew him at the party and was proud. So he maintained the pretense of being a student until the very end. Though it's true, after enough studenting, he could have simply rented her piano to keep in practice, or he could have found dome other piano in town, like in a bar or theater, to use for practice.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I always read that as the piano teacher boasting about her connection to the most popular man in the room, no matter how tenuous that connection is from her point of view.

Phil saying, "Excuse me ma'am, I'm really just booking a lesson so I can practice." becomes, "I taught him to play piano." She says it without even realizing it's true.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM

In the opening scene, his anchorwoman says that it will be his third year in a row.

Phil replies that it will be "four."

So they start the movie with a bit of confusion about time.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I thought she was getting in a dig at him, on air. "You're still doing the Punxsutawney gig? Your career is really going nowhere, huh?"
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
I definitely don't like some of his assumptions. Only 7,000 hours to learn to play piano that way? I just don't believe that he knocked that out in only four or five years. But still, it's an interesting exercise and I think he's close enough to argue the point.
And of course, his father was a piano mover, don't forget.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I guess bumping this thread has become a SDMB tradition similar to old Rudolph

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM

We've only bumped it once. But it's the same bump over and over again.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
I think a larger faulty assumption is that Phil had to limit his piano playing lest he get carpal tunnel. In a universe where you can literally kill yourself and wake up in bed the next morning, I don't think you can assume anything remotely like that.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM

So, from Rita's (Andie MacDowell) point of view, Phil (Murray) changes overnight into a completely different person, and/so she sleeps with him.

I forget. Did they have a relationship prior to "the day"?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a35362 View Post
I thought she was getting in a dig at him, on air. "You're still doing the Punxsutawney gig? Your career is really going nowhere, huh?"
I've always thought that too. All the talking heads seem a little bitchy with each other.

mlees: I don't think so. Rita was the new producer, and I think they had just met that morning. She only knew of his jerkdom from the ride to Punxsutawney. Phil had a existing acquaintance with the camera guy, Larry, who should have been more stunned by the change.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
I've always thought that too. All the talking heads seem a little bitchy with each other.

mlees: I don't think so. Rita was the new producer, and I think they had just met that morning. She only knew of his jerkdom from the ride to Punxsutawney. Phil had a existing acquaintance with the camera guy, Larry, who should have been more stunned by the change.
Ah. Ok. I thought she worked with Phil longer than that.

I suppose she could have assumed feel was just grumpy on 1 Feb. We all have bad days.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Whether Rita was new or whether they had just never worked together before, you just know Phil has a reputation for being "difficult" and Rita had heard about it, probably before she ever laid eyes on him.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
SDSAB

Judging by the give-and-take in the van on their way to Punx., I don't think they'd worked together much before then, if at all.