Old 05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat
YUM! Yumyumyum. Try it tandoori-style, too.
Great. Now I'm hungry.

And goat is way better than alligator.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Revenant
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
And goat is way better than alligator.
And neither one tastes like chicken.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 AM

Well, this thread has gotten me looking into getting some goat stew before my next Caribbean trip. Turns out a friend of mine has just taken three Boer goats (a meat breed!) as payment for a debt (he figured it was better than nothing). As soon as he convinces his wife, we are going to look into getting one of the three impregnated so that next summer we can have a cookout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_goat
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetbridge
Well, this thread has gotten me looking into getting some goat stew before my next Caribbean trip. Turns out a friend of mine has just taken three Boer goats (a meat breed!) as payment for a debt (he figured it was better than nothing). As soon as he convinces his wife, we are going to look into getting one of the three impregnated so that next summer we can have a cookout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_goat
So you can only cook pregnant goats or it it only kid is edible? I don't want to hear if you cook goat placenta as a delicacy.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
So you can only cook pregnant goats or it it only kid is edible? I don't want to hear if you cook goat placenta as a delicacy.
No, the goats he has now are older females. His wife is thinking of them as pets. We are thinking of them as kid producers.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
Yes we have feral hogs. I have never seen any, but the DNR says they're a problem in some areas and to shoot them. Around me it gets down to about -20F, by Superior -30F. It has gotten colder on extremely bad years.
Wow, I assumed they couldn't survive around here. I guess the hunters here just take them out. I know I'd be getting out a rifle if one of mine got out and I couldn't get it back in.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all the answers to my follow-up question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofnone
For me, this problem is not hypothetical. I did a lot of research before settling on hogs. Goats are browsers, and will clear land better than sheep or hogs. Sheep are grazers, and will only browse as a last resort. Sheep, goats, and cows are multi-year commitments, and therefore require more substantial housing if you're in an area where the weather gets cold. I scavenged pallets to make a pen for my hogs to stay in at night. Hogs can be fed relatively cheaply if you have access to a commercial kitchen, as you can supplement their feed with kitchen waste. Hogs only take 5 or 6 months to reach market weight, and while they will not clear as much land as goats, they will clear it completely. Their hoves are sharp little spikes, and they have shovels for noses. They will even remove stumps if you drive a hole under them with a bar and throw in some corn or other goodies.

Plus...Bacon!
Pigs it is, then. But I really like sheep and goats. So, I think I'll fence in more land, build a big barn, get all three and a hired hand to take care of them all.

(I live in an apartment.)
Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagloba
How does a dog lick its own balls?
Exactly.

It was no great stretch for Bill to whizz in his own beard. Why he did it I have not clue.

As to the smell?

Take a bum off the street. Any bum will do as long as he hasn't bathed within the past month or so. Best to do it in late August as well.

Now, get yourself a keg of beer. Any beer will do, so splurge if you have the extra cash. You and your friends can drink the beer - that's perfectly fine. You should also get some asparagus. I like to grill it with some olive oil, but raw is also good.

After you and your friends have drunk alot of the beer and eaten alot of the asparagus, go piss all over the bum who you've taken from the heat of the street in August.

Stew for a day or so. Let the whizz really soak into the clothing, the matted hair, and the "stuff" contained in the bum's grocery cart.

Now go stick your nose in the bum's arm pit or crotch - someplace that is going to get good and sweaty.

That's what Bill smelled like when he pissed in his beard. For some reason, the female goats loved, loved, loved it.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnnr
It was no great stretch for Bill to whizz in his own beard. Why he did it I have not clue.
For some reason, the female goats loved, loved, loved it.
The clue is in there somewhere.