Old 03-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, he did tell everyone that the country is going to loosen up and get back to work soon, so he has given people reason for optimism. Of course, by May, when fatalities are steadily in the 3~500 range per day, I can imagine that his numbers might start steadily sagging. This truly does seem to be his ultimate kobiyashi-mar-a-lago.

You mean by April. Remember? The twerp wants the country to be fully at work again by Easter.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You mean by April. Remember? The twerp wants the country to be fully at work again by Easter.
I was thinking more in terms of a gradual increase, with a little noise in the curve (the way Italy's numbers are currently rising and falling somewhat erratically).
Old 03-26-2020, 01:36 AM

Mississippi governor Tate Reeves not only won't call for any shutdowns, he just overrode cities and counties that are doing so.
So, is he a Trump cultist who still believes that everything will be fine soon and shutdown and stay-at-home orders are only something liberals do? Is he in the pocket of special interests who are telling him to keep the state open? A mix? Something else?
Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Mississippi governor Tate Reeves not only won't call for any shutdowns, he just overrode cities and counties that are doing so.
So, is he a Trump cultist who still believes that everything will be fine soon and shutdown and stay-at-home orders are only something liberals do? Is he in the pocket of special interests who are telling him to keep the state open? A mix? Something else?
I'm pretty sure it's in the state constitution that the guv has to be a moron.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of a gradual increase, with a little noise in the curve (the way Italy's numbers are currently rising and falling somewhat erratically).

Yeah, but all those crowds in churches all over the nation, if Trump gets his wish, will ensure the increase is anything but gradual.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I had to look it up, so to help anyone else who isn't familiar with it, Runyon's Law:
I debated whether I should put in a link, decided the law was well enough known on this board, and concluded I'd just wind up looking like a pretentious twit. Sorry; next time I'll risk the pretentious twit label.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Senator Kevin Cramer claims that his calling Nancy Pelosi retarded is due to his autocorrect.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...es-autocorrect
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 PM

The Cabinet's favorite Bible meeting pastor (and former professional basketball player) Ralph Drollinger says that Covid-19 was sent by God because of the gays.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1168981
Old 03-26-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The Cabinet's favorite Bible meeting pastor (and former professional basketball player) Ralph Drollinger says that Covid-19 was sent by God because of the gays.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1168981
In the 'no duh' department:

Quote:
stated Deere, who said President Trump does not attend Drollinger’s Bible class.
And of course, in the IOKIARDI world we live in, Drollinger will continue to be welcome in the White House, where (for one example out of many) Obama was forced to throw his long-time pastor under the bus.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Senator Kevin Cramer claims that his calling Nancy Pelosi retarded is due to his autocorrect.
Well, that excuse is just... nah, too easy.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Matt Gaetz complains about $13 million going to Howard University out of the $2 trillion in the stimulus bill. He could have asked, but decided to go public. So he gets schooled on why it's there.
https://www.alternet.org/2020/03/gop...onavirus-tweet
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM

Ainsley Earhardt of Fox News whining about she and her friends not being able to get their hair and nails done.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-n...6cb08a92987b5?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

You'd think that a governor of a state with an oil economy would know better:

Gov. Greg Abbott issues executive order to quarantine individuals flying in from NY, NJ, CT and New Orleans

So... I can drive in from New Orleans, just not fly? No problem.

It's cool that I can drive from Trenton to Philly and fly into Dallas, given I'm not flying in from Jersey.

Oh! I can fly from JFK to Tulsa, and then drive to Dallas? That'll work!
Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You'd think that a governor of a state with an oil economy would know better:

Gov. Greg Abbott issues executive order to quarantine individuals flying in from NY, NJ, CT and New Orleans

So... I can drive in from New Orleans, just not fly? No problem.

It's cool that I can drive from Trenton to Philly and fly into Dallas, given I'm not flying in from Jersey.

Oh! I can fly from JFK to Tulsa, and then drive to Dallas? That'll work!
Isn't that a violation of the Interstate Commerce clause?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Probably not? He's not banning it, he's just invoking a health/safety wait. Of course, as JohnT noted, it is trivially easy to bypass, so it certainly belongs in the "Stupid" thread.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin;22212589[B
]Probably not?[/B] He's not banning it, he's just invoking a health/safety wait. Of course, as JohnT noted, it is trivially easy to bypass, so it certainly belongs in the "Stupid" thread.
IWBIADDI
(It Would Be If A Democrat Did It)

Last edited by running coach; 03-26-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
IWBIADDI
(It Would Be If A Democrat Did It)
A Democrat is doing it.
Quote:
Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo announced 23 news cases of coronavirus in the state on Monday bringing the total to 106.

Raimondo also unveiled an announcement about domestic travel, saying she will sign an executive order requiring all domestic flights returning to Rhode Island -- in addition to international travelers -- to self-quarantine for 14 days.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
There's a difference.
Quote:
According to Gov. Abbott, the quarantine will be run and enforced by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Gov. Abbott said those flying in from the designated areas will have to fill out a form provided by the DPS that will designate where the individual will quarantine.

Gov. Abbott said during the conference that DPS troopers will conduct visits to the designated quarantine locations to verify compliance with the executive order.
It's a self-quarantine in Rhode Island. Plus it's all incoming flights, not just from selected areas.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I debated whether I should put in a link, decided the law was well enough known on this board, and concluded I'd just wind up looking like a pretentious twit. Sorry; next time I'll risk the pretentious twit label.
It's like when teaching or giving a lecture...for every one question there are 3 people staying silent because they don't want to appear stupid, and there is at least one thinking (and sometimes saying under his/her breath) "he should've known that, the dummy", reinforcing the ones staying quiet.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Jesus fucking Christ! Republican lawmaker is forcing lawmakers back to Capitol Hill over the stimulus vote because reasons!! Link
Old 03-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Jesus fucking Christ! Republican lawmaker is forcing lawmakers back to Capitol Hill over the stimulus vote because reasons!! Link
The guy is from Kentucky. You don't think a few minutes in the woodshed with Unca Mitch would change his mind?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The GOP lies perfectly at the intersection of sociopathy and psychopathy.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:31 AM

I posted about this a couple of days ago in the quarantine thread about the stimulus. Anything to delay or prevent aid to the most needy. He thinks a voice vote is unconstitutional and it’s too much money. Was he there for the tax cut for big corporations?

I don’t know if Mitchy-Poo will be the one to have a come to Jesus talk with this guy since Mitchy-Poo is in the Senate and this guy is in the House, just because they are both from Kentucky, the state that has ruined the US probably the most.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The guy is from Kentucky. You don't think a few minutes in the woodshed with Unca Mitch would change his mind?
Der Bungle has turned on him.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Looks like a third rate Grandstander named @RepThomasMassie, a Congressman from, unfortunately, a truly GREAT State, Kentucky, wants to vote against the new Save Our Workers Bill in Congress. He just wants the publicity. He can’t stop it, only delay, which is both dangerous......
"What?? He just wants publicity?? That's MY shtick*!"

* See, I'm not an anti-Semite. I can use a Jew word.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know what kind of auto-correct app he's using but on mu Morotola I tried typing in rediculous (just to get an re at the beginning) and it came up with a few guesses before giving up. Needless to say, none of them were 'retarded.' Hey, senator, try reading this out loud:
I AM
SOFA KING
WE TAR DEAD
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM

I admit I'm just guessing that Gavin Weslee Blake Perry of Wichita Falls, TX is a Republican:
Quote:
A Texas man faces federal charges after he made online posts threatening Democrats, including U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, authorities said.

Gavin Weslee Blake Perry, 27, of Wichita Falls, was charged Wednesday with transmitting a threatening communication in interstate commerce. According to federal prosecutors, Perry wrote on Facebook that Democrats, including Pelosi, “will be removed at any cost necessary and yes that means by death.”

Perry remained jailed Friday and court records do not list an attorney who could speak on his behalf. Federal prosecutors said Perry admitted making the Facebook posts and that he told law enforcement he did so because he wanted to warn Americans to beware of the government.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I don't know what kind of auto-correct app he's using but on mu Morotola I tried typing in rediculous (just to get an re at the beginning) and it came up with a few guesses before giving up. Needless to say, none of them were 'retarded.'
Even if you type "She's retarde" (that is, everything except the final 'd') an iPhone won't suggest "retarded". I doubt any other phone does either.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Since he's pissed off nearly every member of the House with this stunt, both Republican and Democratic, do you think they might be open to expelling him?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

The bill has passed despite Massie's bullshit.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The bill has passed despite Massie's bullshit.
Both sides came together in bipartisan criticism of Massie. Individual 1 attacked him as a third rate grandstander, John Kerry called him a Masshole, and Individual 1 praised Kerry for his comments.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The GOP lies perfectly at the intersection of sociopathy and psychopathy.
I'm pretty sure stupidity and ignorance also feed into that traffic circle.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Both sides came together in bipartisan criticism of Massie. Individual 1 attacked him as a third rate grandstander, John Kerry called him a Masshole, and Individual 1 praised Kerry for his comments.
Even trump called him a third rate grandstander. *snort*. I’m kind of surprised he didn’t get spooked and veto it. I guess it has enough corporate pork to pass muster for him.

I’d like to know where this guy’s concern for money not going to corporations has been until now. Convenient time to realize citizens should get more assistance. Then he can just say he was concerned about people while stopping them from getting help in a time of need, the GOP’s favorite pastime.

Last edited by Skypist; 03-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm in awe of Trump's ability to call Massie a "grandstadner" with a straight face.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm in awe of Trump's ability to call Massie a "grandstadner" with a straight face.
Third-rate grandstander. As a first-rate grandstander, Trump has the ability to rate other, lesser beings.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Holy crap! Kumbaya, and shit!
"And in a stark signal of his displeasure with Massie’s tactics, the president even shared a tweet from John Kerry. The former secretary of State and frequent Trump critic said the congressman had “tested positive for being an asshole” and “must be quarantined to prevent the spread of his massive stupidity.”
Trump, himself a pioneer in developing derisive political nicknames, wrote in response: “Never knew John Kerry had such a good sense of humor! Very impressed!”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...us-vote-151523
Old 03-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I'm pretty sure the only good things to ever come out of Kentucky are bourbon and my grandmother. At least she had the good sense to move to Oregon early on.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'm pretty sure the only good things to ever come out of Kentucky are bourbon and my grandmother. At least she had the good sense to move to Oregon early on.
Let's be fair. Kentucky is known for it's beautiful horses, rolling hills, and top notch meth.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Kentucky is the only state I have been in where they have freeways without any numbers on them. Whatever that means.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kentucky is the only state I have been in where they have freeways without any numbers on them. Whatever that means.
Keeps out the damn flatlanders.

I used to have relatives in the hills around Louisville.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
Even trump called him a third rate grandstander. *snort*. I’m kind of surprised he didn’t get spooked and veto it. I guess it has enough corporate pork to pass muster for him.
Actually it didn't, but Trump issued a signing statement saying he would not comply with the Congressional oversight written into the bill. The law and order president.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! I was born in Kentucky.

I moved away when I was just 3 months old, but technically, I did come out of there.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Actually it didn't, but Trump issued a signing statement saying he would not comply with the Congressional oversight written into the bill. The law and order president.
Ten dollars* says he announces in a week or so that he's using money from this bill on his Wall.

*Not really

Last edited by tripthicket; 03-28-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:

That's right. He's the law and order president. There's the law, which he ignores, and then the order he issues. Two totally different critters. What's not to understand?

Last edited by Monty; 03-28-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Ten dollars* says he announces in a week or so that he's using money from this bill on his Wall.
No, there probably won't be anything left over after he uses it on his resorts.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
No, there probably won't be anything left over after he uses it on his resorts.

Those resorts are walled off, aren't they? He can use the money to repair/maintain those walls and say they're needed to protect the country's best interests. (I.e., his.)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Gonna throw a big dance and costume party to celebrate. Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, the Beach Boy....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:27 PM

The Conservative Campaign Against Safety
How did we get to the point where ministers, the president, many Republican politicians, and a variety of media outlets are calling for people to risk death to save the economy?
Quote:
...After barely a week of a partial lockdown in many parts of the country, Donald Trump and others are now complaining that overly risk-averse public-health officials are threatening to strangle the economy. Trump insists that excessive caution is counterproductive and dangerous: “THE CURE CANNOT BE WORSE (BY FAR) THAN THE PROBLEM,” he tweeted on March 22. During a briefing at the White House the next day he added: “Our country wasn’t built to be shut down. America will again, and soon, be open for business.”

Conservatives have supported and extended Trump’s position. Writing in The Washington Post on March 25, the columnist Gary Abernathy claimed that both the stimulus plan passed by the Senate and the shelter-at-home proclamations had completed the nation’s march to socialism begun “incrementally decades ago.” “The delicate balance between freedom and risk was less than an afterthought as our economy was gutted in a matter of days,” ...

Other conservatives have framed protective measures as a threat not only to America’s rugged individualism but to masculinity. The Christian pastor Jonathan Shuttlesworth referred to social distancers as “sissies” and “pansies” who have been “neutered,” and described Christians who use hand sanitizer as having “fake faith” and “no balls.” Another minister said he would never close his church, because his congregants were not “pansies.”
My bold.

Now that's hitting below the belt!

Using hand sanitizer makes you a pansy with no balls? Words fail me.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:40 PM

These are the people who think that it’s your fault if something bad happens to you. You didn’t believe in god enough or you had some other character deficit that caused you to get sick. And the shitheads who say that god will protect you. Well he didn’t protect the infant who died from COVID that I heard about recently. I guess that baby just wasn’t godly enough, or god punished the baby for its parents not being devout enough. I wish hell existed so these assholes who think this way could go there someday and realize, belatedly, the error and unkindness in their thinking.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:28 PM

Yes, folks, this is the "pro-life" party. Unless that life is actually outside the womb.