Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
There's another type of Nickelodeon too. They were simular to player pianos except they were an amalgam of a bunch of different instruments. They had several working models on display at the Lightner Museum. Really neat to watch.
I think these are also known as "orchestreons". There's an old-fashioned soda shop in Columbus, IN that has a few working models:

Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor - http://www.zaharakos.com/

Last edited by Guy Incognito; 02-11-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I saw the Bugs Bunny cartoon Rabbit Hood today. I've seen it a zillion times since I was a kid, but I think that I just sort of accepted many of the details, which I really noticed for the first time today.

The cartoon is set in medieval England (presumably circa the 13th century, when Robin Hood was supposed to be active). Bugs tries to steal one of The King's carrots, which has an alarm attached to it. This draws the attention of the Sheriff of Nottingham, who, instead of a shotgun, menaces Bugs with a bow and arrow.

The Sheriff wears tights, a puffy set of pantaloons and a collar ruff. Not really appropriate for the period, but believable for later England. What I have tuned out all these years was that he wore a vest more suited to the Old West, complete with a five-pointed star, a set of cowboy boots, a cowboy hat (also with a star), and a handlebar moustache more suited to the 1880s than the 1280s.
I guess that's because he's the Sheriff of Nottingham. The Old West Sheriff of Nottingham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit...e:RabbHood.jpg

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-15-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM

As my sig suggests, I'm fond of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens; I've read it probably a dozen times over the last 25 years.

One scene in the novel features a flying saucer landing in Oxfordshire, disgorging three aliens, two of whom stop a car to talk to the driver. The third one, which is described as looking "like a pepperpot", rolls down the ramp and falls over, beeping frantically.

Longtime Whovian that I am, I immediately recognized it a Dalek. TvTropes listed it as a Shout Out, and further noted that it was a twofer. I never though thought about the fact that Daleks don't beep - their iconic vocalization is "EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

Only today, after literal decades, did I realize that there is another, even more iconic robotic lifeform that's shaped like a pepper shaker, and communicates in beeps. I can't believe it's taken me twenty-five years to recognize R2D2. SMDumbassH.

This is as close as I've ever come to literally meeting the conditions of the OP.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 AM

Just watched “Bladerunner: Final Cut” with my son last night.

When Roy dies, he releases a dove, which of course symbolizes death (departing soul).

I only now just realized that this represents a strong (unambiguous) signal from film creators that they believe replicants HAVE souls. (Yes, I know it’s all pretty strongly messaged in other ways, but I’d always felt you could debate whether they really have souls or simply act like that. That goes for humans, too.)

Or maybe that’s just Deckard’s view...
Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Just watched “Bladerunner: Final Cut” with my son last night.

When Roy dies, he releases a dove, which of course symbolizes death (departing soul).

I only now just realized that this represents a strong (unambiguous) signal from film creators that they believe replicants HAVE souls. (Yes, I know it’s all pretty strongly messaged in other ways, but I’d always felt you could debate whether they really have souls or simply act like that. That goes for humans, too.)

Or maybe that’s just Deckard’s view...

Screw it, I take that back- Roy decides to carry a dove around for whatever reason, and of course he releases it as he dies, leaving Deckard (and audience) to interpret that as his soul departing.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Screw it, I take that back- Roy decides to carry a dove around for whatever reason, and of course he releases it as he dies, leaving Deckard (and audience) to interpret that as his soul departing.
The dove also represents the Holy Spirit, and if you add fact that he drove a nail through his palm earlier in the scene, that pretty much implies that Roy is (or sees himself as) some sort of Christ figure.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
The dove also represents the Holy Spirit, and if you add fact that he drove a nail through his palm earlier in the scene, that pretty much implies that Roy is (or sees himself as) some sort of Christ figure.
Well, that's an idea that never occurred to me. Thanks for suggesting it.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I finally noticed that George Harrison’s My Sweet Lord has the Hare Krishna mantra in the backup vocals. It’s not subtle or anything, I just never noticed it before.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Stan Lee played a mailman who delivered a package to "Tony Stank" in Captain America: Civil War. It's a funny line but I just realized it's also a callback to Lee's cameos in the first two Iron Man movies, where Stark mistook Lee (playing himself) for Hugh Hefner and Larry King.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:07 PM

I was talking to my kids last night about vaccines. I was mentioning the possibility of building viral antigens into vaccinia (the virus used to prevent smallpox). This devolved into a discussion of Jenner, smallpox, and cowpox; and how “vaccinate” used to mean “inoculate with vaccinia (cowpox)”, which ultimately got “nouned” to vaccine for any generic preventative inoculation.

As I was saying it, I realized that the “vac” in vaccine stands for “cow”.

Then I heard it all again on Science Friday this afternoon!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was talking to my kids last night about vaccines. I was mentioning the possibility of building viral antigens into vaccinia (the virus used to prevent smallpox). This devolved into a discussion of Jenner, smallpox, and cowpox; and how “vaccinate” used to mean “inoculate with vaccinia (cowpox)”, which ultimately got “nouned” to vaccine for any generic preventative inoculation.

As I was saying it, I realized that the “vac” in vaccine stands for “cow”.

Then I heard it all again on Science Friday this afternoon!
Many years ago I similarly had an epiphany when I realized that they called cowboys "Buckaroos" because the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros ("cattle herder").

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-20-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM

This has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I just noticed it so that makes it repeatable.

At the end of the intro song to Two and a Half Men, Jake (Angus Jones) morphs from the kid he was at the beginning to whatever he looks like this season. I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but lately I've realized watching reruns that it must have been going on all along, but it wasn't very noticeable when he was still young.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
...the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros
Vaquero, with q.

Quote:
At the end of the intro song to Two and a Half Men, Jake (Angus Jones) morphs from the kid he was at the beginning to whatever he looks like this season. I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but lately I've realized watching reruns that it must have been going on all along, but it wasn't very noticeable when he was still young.
I was surprised by that, too. I stopped watching shortly after Sheen was fired, and some time later I noticed the kid was much bigger. A wild guess: Maybe not all the seasons were sold in the same syndication package, or maybe Angus Jones wasn’t featured as much during a season or two. I recall seeing that his character had returned from military service but I don’t remember any episodes that led up to that or showed him or the others during his service. Or maybe he just grew up very quickly.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 AM

At the end of Caddyshack, the grudge match between Judge Smails and Al Czervik is tied as they're playing the final hole. Smails sinks his putt, and it's Danny's turn. Ty tells him that if he misses it, they lose. Doesn't that mean that if he sinks it, the match will be tied? If Danny makes the putt, either the wager is a tie or they keep playing. I'm not an expert on golf, but is there any scoring system in which one putt can change a loss to a win?

But then something happens. Al says "double-or-nothing he makes it," and the judge agrees. Now the wager really does depend on this one putt. Smails went from a situation where he had nothing to lose to one where he could lose the whole bet. What an idiot!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Many years ago I similarly had an epiphany when I realized that they called cowboys "Buckaroos" because the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros ("cattle herder").

Huh!

Cows will rule after we are gone.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Huh!

The "milk" will inherit the Earth. Or the " 'Moo' "k will inherit the Earth.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
The "milk" will inherit the Earth. Or the " 'Moo' "k will inherit the Earth.

“Blessed are the cheese makers”
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=jerez;22201677]Vaquero, with q.

I knew that, but for some reason, my hands typed it with a "c". Probably because of the stuff about "vaccine"
Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh!

I believe they're after the birds and before the slugs. cite
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Stan Lee played a mailman who delivered a package to "Tony Stank" in Captain America: Civil War. It's a funny line but I just realized it's also a callback to Lee's cameos in the first two Iron Man movies, where Stark mistook Lee (playing himself) for Hugh Hefner and Larry King.
It's also an homage to the newspaper comic strip created by Stan and drawn by Dan DeCarlo called Willie Lumpkin that ran from December 1959 to May 6, 1961. Stan and Jack Kirby introduced another Willie Lumpkin character as the Fantastic Four's mailman in 1963.

Stan also acted as the character in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
It's also an homage to the newspaper comic strip created by Stan and drawn by Dan DeCarlo called Willie Lumpkin that ran from December 1959 to May 6, 1961. Stan and Jack Kirby introduced another Willie Lumpkin character as the Fantastic Four's mailman in 1963.

Stan also acted as the character in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.
I understood it was a Willie Lumpkin reference. But I had missed the significance of Stan Lee's character getting Tony Stark's name wrong after Tony Stark had gotten his name wrong in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, I watched a YouTube video of all of Lee's MCU scenes and seeing them together was when I made the connection.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I understood it was a Willie Lumpkin reference. But I had missed the significance of Stan Lee's character getting Tony Stark's name wrong after Tony Stark had gotten his name wrong in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, I watched a YouTube video of all of Lee's MCU scenes and seeing them together was when I made the connection.
Yeah, I was just adding on to what you said for those who didn't grow up on the comics.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 PM

In the Columbo episode "Forgotten Lady," strains of "Walking My Baby Back Home," from the movie Janet Leigh uses to establish her alibi, are woven into the background incidental music. I think this has to be unique in the series; I don't know of another instance where something besides the studio music composed for the show was heard.

(The episode where Johnny Cash was the murderer might be an exception, but I don't think that one is ever shown anymore. I certainly haven't seen it in decades.)
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

The Amityville Horror.

Unlike other spooky/satanic scary movies of the 70s which were at times forgetable, like The Devil's Rain or The Hearse, there is ONE aspect of this film which makes it enduring...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con...Amityville.jpg

The fucking House
HAS EYES!!!
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The fucking House
HAS EYES!!!
It was kind of obvious from the original movie poster. How did you miss that? The sequel made it even more clear.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The Amityville Horror.
The fucking House HAS EYES!!!
I'd say more than that, theside of the house looks like a human skull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
How did you miss that?
How did you miss the point of the whole thread?
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
How did you miss the point of the whole thread?
It's one thing if it was subtle, but the advertising campaign emphasized it! Of course, we can all miss obvious things, I get that.