Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3501  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Guy Incognito is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
There's another type of Nickelodeon too. They were simular to player pianos except they were an amalgam of a bunch of different instruments. They had several working models on display at the Lightner Museum. Really neat to watch.
I think these are also known as "orchestreons". There's an old-fashioned soda shop in Columbus, IN that has a few working models:

Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor - http://www.zaharakos.com/
__________________
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere we get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus (Rusty) Venture, The Venture Brothers

Last edited by Guy Incognito; 02-11-2020 at 09:41 AM.
  #3502  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,296
I saw the Bugs Bunny cartoon Rabbit Hood today. I've seen it a zillion times since I was a kid, but I think that I just sort of accepted many of the details, which I really noticed for the first time today.

The cartoon is set in medieval England (presumably circa the 13th century, when Robin Hood was supposed to be active). Bugs tries to steal one of The King's carrots, which has an alarm attached to it. This draws the attention of the Sheriff of Nottingham, who, instead of a shotgun, menaces Bugs with a bow and arrow.

The Sheriff wears tights, a puffy set of pantaloons and a collar ruff. Not really appropriate for the period, but believable for later England. What I have tuned out all these years was that he wore a vest more suited to the Old West, complete with a five-pointed star, a set of cowboy boots, a cowboy hat (also with a star), and a handlebar moustache more suited to the 1880s than the 1280s.
I guess that's because he's the Sheriff of Nottingham. The Old West Sheriff of Nottingham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit...e:RabbHood.jpg
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-15-2020 at 09:51 PM.
  #3503  
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,294
As my sig suggests, I'm fond of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens; I've read it probably a dozen times over the last 25 years.

One scene in the novel features a flying saucer landing in Oxfordshire, disgorging three aliens, two of whom stop a car to talk to the driver. The third one, which is described as looking "like a pepperpot", rolls down the ramp and falls over, beeping frantically.

Longtime Whovian that I am, I immediately recognized it a Dalek. TvTropes listed it as a Shout Out, and further noted that it was a twofer. I never though thought about the fact that Daleks don't beep - their iconic vocalization is "EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

Only today, after literal decades, did I realize that there is another, even more iconic robotic lifeform that's shaped like a pepper shaker, and communicates in beeps. I can't believe it's taken me twenty-five years to recognize R2D2. SMDumbassH.

This is as close as I've ever come to literally meeting the conditions of the OP.
__________________
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
  #3504  
Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 AM
Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Just watched “Bladerunner: Final Cut” with my son last night.

When Roy dies, he releases a dove, which of course symbolizes death (departing soul).

I only now just realized that this represents a strong (unambiguous) signal from film creators that they believe replicants HAVE souls. (Yes, I know it’s all pretty strongly messaged in other ways, but I’d always felt you could debate whether they really have souls or simply act like that. That goes for humans, too.)

Or maybe that’s just Deckard’s view...
  #3505  
Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 AM
Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Just watched “Bladerunner: Final Cut” with my son last night.

When Roy dies, he releases a dove, which of course symbolizes death (departing soul).

I only now just realized that this represents a strong (unambiguous) signal from film creators that they believe replicants HAVE souls. (Yes, I know it’s all pretty strongly messaged in other ways, but I’d always felt you could debate whether they really have souls or simply act like that. That goes for humans, too.)

Or maybe that’s just Deckard’s view...


Screw it, I take that back- Roy decides to carry a dove around for whatever reason, and of course he releases it as he dies, leaving Deckard (and audience) to interpret that as his soul departing.
  #3506  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 25,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Screw it, I take that back- Roy decides to carry a dove around for whatever reason, and of course he releases it as he dies, leaving Deckard (and audience) to interpret that as his soul departing.
The dove also represents the Holy Spirit, and if you add fact that he drove a nail through his palm earlier in the scene, that pretty much implies that Roy is (or sees himself as) some sort of Christ figure.
  #3507  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 AM
commasense's Avatar
commasense is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
The dove also represents the Holy Spirit, and if you add fact that he drove a nail through his palm earlier in the scene, that pretty much implies that Roy is (or sees himself as) some sort of Christ figure.
Well, that's an idea that never occurred to me. Thanks for suggesting it.
  #3508  
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM
Pleonast's Avatar
Pleonast is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Los 'Kamala'ngeles
Posts: 7,465
I finally noticed that George Harrison’s My Sweet Lord has the Hare Krishna mantra in the backup vocals. It’s not subtle or anything, I just never noticed it before.
  #3509  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,997
Stan Lee played a mailman who delivered a package to "Tony Stank" in Captain America: Civil War. It's a funny line but I just realized it's also a callback to Lee's cameos in the first two Iron Man movies, where Stark mistook Lee (playing himself) for Hugh Hefner and Larry King.
  #3510  
Old 03-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
I was talking to my kids last night about vaccines. I was mentioning the possibility of building viral antigens into vaccinia (the virus used to prevent smallpox). This devolved into a discussion of Jenner, smallpox, and cowpox; and how “vaccinate” used to mean “inoculate with vaccinia (cowpox)”, which ultimately got “nouned” to vaccine for any generic preventative inoculation.

As I was saying it, I realized that the “vac” in vaccine stands for “cow”.

Then I heard it all again on Science Friday this afternoon!
  #3511  
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
I was talking to my kids last night about vaccines. I was mentioning the possibility of building viral antigens into vaccinia (the virus used to prevent smallpox). This devolved into a discussion of Jenner, smallpox, and cowpox; and how “vaccinate” used to mean “inoculate with vaccinia (cowpox)”, which ultimately got “nouned” to vaccine for any generic preventative inoculation.

As I was saying it, I realized that the “vac” in vaccine stands for “cow”.

Then I heard it all again on Science Friday this afternoon!
Many years ago I similarly had an epiphany when I realized that they called cowboys "Buckaroos" because the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros ("cattle herder").
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-20-2020 at 07:42 PM.
  #3512  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,523
This has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I just noticed it so that makes it repeatable.

At the end of the intro song to Two and a Half Men, Jake (Angus Jones) morphs from the kid he was at the beginning to whatever he looks like this season. I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but lately I've realized watching reruns that it must have been going on all along, but it wasn't very noticeable when he was still young.
  #3513  
Old 03-21-2020, 02:47 AM
jerez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
...the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros
Vaquero, with q.

Quote:
At the end of the intro song to Two and a Half Men, Jake (Angus Jones) morphs from the kid he was at the beginning to whatever he looks like this season. I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but lately I've realized watching reruns that it must have been going on all along, but it wasn't very noticeable when he was still young.
I was surprised by that, too. I stopped watching shortly after Sheen was fired, and some time later I noticed the kid was much bigger. A wild guess: Maybe not all the seasons were sold in the same syndication package, or maybe Angus Jones wasn’t featured as much during a season or two. I recall seeing that his character had returned from military service but I don’t remember any episodes that led up to that or showed him or the others during his service. Or maybe he just grew up very quickly.
  #3514  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 AM
Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,745
At the end of Caddyshack, the grudge match between Judge Smails and Al Czervik is tied as they're playing the final hole. Smails sinks his putt, and it's Danny's turn. Ty tells him that if he misses it, they lose. Doesn't that mean that if he sinks it, the match will be tied? If Danny makes the putt, either the wager is a tie or they keep playing. I'm not an expert on golf, but is there any scoring system in which one putt can change a loss to a win?

But then something happens. Al says "double-or-nothing he makes it," and the judge agrees. Now the wager really does depend on this one putt. Smails went from a situation where he had nothing to lose to one where he could lose the whole bet. What an idiot!
  #3515  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Many years ago I similarly had an epiphany when I realized that they called cowboys "Buckaroos" because the word is an Anglicized corruption of the Spanish word vaceros ("cattle herder").

Huh!

Cows will rule after we are gone.
  #3516  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Dendarii Dame is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Huh!

Cows will rule after we are gone.
The "milk" will inherit the Earth. Or the " 'Moo' "k will inherit the Earth.
  #3517  
Old 03-24-2020, 05:51 PM
Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
The "milk" will inherit the Earth. Or the " 'Moo' "k will inherit the Earth.

“Blessed are the cheese makers”
  #3518  
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,296
[QUOTE=jerez;22201677]Vaquero, with q.



I knew that, but for some reason, my hands typed it with a "c". Probably because of the stuff about "vaccine"
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #3519  
Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Huh!

Cows will rule after we are gone.
I believe they're after the birds and before the slugs. cite
  #3520  
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Stan Lee played a mailman who delivered a package to "Tony Stank" in Captain America: Civil War. It's a funny line but I just realized it's also a callback to Lee's cameos in the first two Iron Man movies, where Stark mistook Lee (playing himself) for Hugh Hefner and Larry King.
It's also an homage to the newspaper comic strip created by Stan and drawn by Dan DeCarlo called Willie Lumpkin that ran from December 1959 to May 6, 1961. Stan and Jack Kirby introduced another Willie Lumpkin character as the Fantastic Four's mailman in 1963.

Stan also acted as the character in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.
  #3521  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
It's also an homage to the newspaper comic strip created by Stan and drawn by Dan DeCarlo called Willie Lumpkin that ran from December 1959 to May 6, 1961. Stan and Jack Kirby introduced another Willie Lumpkin character as the Fantastic Four's mailman in 1963.

Stan also acted as the character in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.
I understood it was a Willie Lumpkin reference. But I had missed the significance of Stan Lee's character getting Tony Stark's name wrong after Tony Stark had gotten his name wrong in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, I watched a YouTube video of all of Lee's MCU scenes and seeing them together was when I made the connection.
  #3522  
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I understood it was a Willie Lumpkin reference. But I had missed the significance of Stan Lee's character getting Tony Stark's name wrong after Tony Stark had gotten his name wrong in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, I watched a YouTube video of all of Lee's MCU scenes and seeing them together was when I made the connection.
Yeah, I was just adding on to what you said for those who didn't grow up on the comics.
  #3523  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,996
In the Columbo episode "Forgotten Lady," strains of "Walking My Baby Back Home," from the movie Janet Leigh uses to establish her alibi, are woven into the background incidental music. I think this has to be unique in the series; I don't know of another instance where something besides the studio music composed for the show was heard.

(The episode where Johnny Cash was the murderer might be an exception, but I don't think that one is ever shown anymore. I certainly haven't seen it in decades.)
__________________
"Makes you wonder why we bother, eh, Fawlty?"
"Didn't know you did, Major."
  #3524  
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,153
The Amityville Horror.

Unlike other spooky/satanic scary movies of the 70s which were at times forgetable, like The Devil's Rain or The Hearse, there is ONE aspect of this film which makes it enduring...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con...Amityville.jpg




























The fucking House
HAS EYES!!!
__________________
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
  #3525  
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The fucking House
HAS EYES!!!
It was kind of obvious from the original movie poster. How did you miss that? The sequel made it even more clear.
  #3526  
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The Amityville Horror.
...
The fucking House HAS EYES!!!
I'd say more than that, theside of the house looks like a human skull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
How did you miss that?
How did you miss the point of the whole thread?
  #3527  
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
How did you miss the point of the whole thread?
It's one thing if it was subtle, but the advertising campaign emphasized it! Of course, we can all miss obvious things, I get that.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017