Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9201  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 16,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Don't people do that with 1911's?
If you mean carrying half-cocked, yes, for the category of people described as fools. 1911s may be properly carried in "condition one" fully cocked-and-locked, with the manual safety lever engaged which (if undamaged) should physically prevent the firing mechanism from moving.
  #9202  
Old 03-22-2020, 08:45 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
How many times do you think that happens in a year?

Accidental discharge is almost unheard of. Negligent discharge is very uncommon.

Defensive gun uses measures in the hundreds of thousands a year.

if your point is that we should make sure that people take a safety class or something, I can get on board with that but if you are trying to demonize an inanimate object then I'm not sure that your mind can be changed by facts.
If you don't think that inanimate objects can be dangerous, then I feel badly for you.
  #9203  
Old 03-23-2020, 05:07 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
How many times do you think that happens in a year?

Accidental discharge is almost unheard of. Negligent discharge is very uncommon.
I agree. But "rare" is not "never".

Quote:
Defensive gun uses measures in the hundreds of thousands a year.
As per the standard "anal extraction" tabulation methodology.
  #9204  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:02 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
As per the standard "anal extraction" tabulation methodology.
Well, that is unfair. The study consisted of:

Do you have one or more guns?
___IF "yes":
______Have you used your gun to defend yourself?
_________IF "yes":
____________How many times?

Very scientific. Very.
  #9205  
Old 03-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,844
From last month.

A 10-year-old boy was accidentally shot by his babysitter while she was taking selfies with a gun

Quote:
The incident occurred at an apartment in Houston on Tuesday evening when the 19-year-old relative who was watching the child found a gun, according to tweets from the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
Thinking the weapon was unloaded, the girl started posing and taking pictures with it, authorities said. That's when the gun went off, hitting the boy in the stomach.
  #9206  
Old 03-25-2020, 06:25 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,013
That article doesn't say whether or not the babysitter was charged with a crime.
  #9207  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,221
Wait, I thought we just had a stern schooling about how guns do not just go off.
  #9208  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:46 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Wait, I thought we just had a stern schooling about how guns do not just go off.
Let's not muddy the water here. The reason the gun went off "unexpectedly" was not because no one had pulled the trigger; it was because the person who pulled the trigger believed it was unloaded and therefore wouldn't go bang. The reporting of the incident does leave a little to be desired, however.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-26-2020 at 03:47 AM.
  #9209  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
That article doesn't say whether or not the babysitter was charged with a crime.
Charged with "injury to a child causing serious bodily injury." https://abc13.com/5967270/

The offense may be found at Texas Penal Code 22.04. Injury to a Child, Elderly Individual, or Disabled Individual: https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-c...ect-22-04.html Second degree felony if injury was due to recklessness, state jail felony if due to only criminal negligence. Don't harm kids (or the elderly) in Texas if you agree to be their caregiver.

The idiot is the boy's aunt. Guns generally don't go off by themselves, but most do when you pull the trigger enough.

EDIT: More details in this report from a DFW area station: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/28/...am-video-aunt/

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 03-26-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017