Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Another candidate, especially given the questions in the link below.

From a Coronavirus thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengsenKerpangsen View Post
As for Trump... We will vote for him because things seem to be going well in this country... People like you do give extra motivation to vote for him though. Neurotic, self-loathing white leftists have made a fool of themselves now that reality does not reflect the hyperbolic hysterics that followed the 2016 election and all the talks of nazis and fascism and genocide.

Anti-white racism and the usurpation of white creations is the only kind of racism that seems to be getting out of hand in the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengsenKerpangsen View Post
The irrational Trump-bashing is not funny anymore. Let it go for the sake of your own mental health.
But that's the tip of a very confused iceberg. Take a look at what runs through his head, apparently non-stop. Disturbing, but perversely fascinating.
(Thanks to Lance Turbo for posting that link)

Another example of why we need a term for "I'll just flounder, throwing out questions and accusations, hoping to get SOME kind of validation, even if it's negative." Maybe we have Trolls, Attention Trolls, and Confused Trolls.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
But that's the tip of a very confused iceberg. Take a look at what runs through his head, apparently non-stop. Disturbing, but perversely fascinating.
(Thanks to Lance Turbo for posting that link)
Fuckin' Hell - that is disturbing to say the least
Old 03-19-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Fuckin' Hell - that is disturbing to say the least
Already gone, soon to be forgotten. All (his) moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 AM

My, but that particular thread gets an abundance of shitting. this post by Sportegan is typical blort, but for some reason it had to add a link at the bottom in white text so you fail to notice it.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I reported that shit. Will probably earn a warning for modifying text, but whatever.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
My, but that particular thread gets an abundance of shitting. this post by Sportegan is typical blort, but for some reason it had to add a link at the bottom in white text so you fail to notice it.
Looks like it's gone now.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I didn't understand his (no doubt nefarious) plot at the time. Did he think everyone would be randomly clicking everywhere so they'd hit his link by mistake?

Can we all start doing that? Let's see, for my Insidious Link, I'd choose...
THE FUN ZOOMING DRUG-FREE MAGIC THAT IS... ZOOMQUILT!

Last edited by digs; 03-19-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't understand his (no doubt nefarious) plot at the time. Did he think everyone would be randomly clicking everywhere so they'd hit his link by mistake?
One of the factors that goes into Google search ranking is external links to your site. If you make them invisible, there's less chance of them being noticed and deleted.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
One of the factors that goes into Google search ranking is external links to your site. If you make them invisible, there's less chance of them being noticed and deleted.
Thank you! That'd been bugging me...
Old 03-19-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:

[young Keanu Reeves]Whoa.[/yKR]
Old 03-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

The funny thing is if you enable underling links, the underlines still show.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Thank you!

I was trying to figure out how or why Sportegan thought this scheme would go totally unnoticed when the links were all underlined.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

What if I don't have any underlings?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What if I don't have any underlings?
As long as the links are enabled, the underlines will show, underlings or no underlings.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Hanson's razor - "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
Yeah, then you get Trump and the scarily large number of his true believers for whom both are true.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:00 AM

Father Time has finally caught up to our dear Chronos. In the “spring breakers” pit thread, he objected to supposed overreactions to the virus epidemic. Okay, fine...there probably are certain overreactions (though we many never know for sure), and these can be themselves dangerous.

But discouraging gatherings right now of many young people from all over the US who then return to their homes is factually not an overreaction.

Okay, fine, Chronos is either breathtakingly selfish, or eager to spread dangerous ignorance. In either case, he must resign as a moderator. Sure. But at least it it isn’t trolling.

Or is it? In a post in that thread, Chronos pretended to think that it was just about “beaches” — that the OP was asserting that an individual spending time on a particular geographic feature (stretches of sand near water) was the problem.

That’s blatant trolling, in my book.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

That's not trolling, it's just a disagreement about the cost of distancing measures.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM

LAZombie has eaten his last brain. He has expired. He is an LA-EX-Zombie. Worm food. Joined the choir deplorable.

I'm gonna miss him.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That's not trolling, it's just a disagreement about the cost of distancing measures.
Assuming youíre not trying to whoosh me, youíre wrong. I am just as concerned about overreactions with their own dangerous consequences as anyone (just ask my wife, with whom Iíve argued about this).

But in post 49, Chronos wrote: ďIs the CDC or WHO recommending that people stay off of beaches? Is the incidence of coronavirus significantly different in the vacation spots from where the vacationers are coming from?Ē

The first sentence is pure trolling, or Chronos suffered a stroke ó no one is saying that the contact of human feet on silica grains promotes the spread of this virus. (The second sentence I will charitably interpret as demonstrating astounding ignorance about how this virus spreads. I could interpret it as something worse, but Iím trying to be nice here ó overall Iíve appreciated Chronosí many-faceted contributions for the Doper world over the years.)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

No matter how many times you repeat it, it's still not trolling
Old 03-22-2020, 10:50 AM

As Sherlock Holmes said, “everyone has the right to be wrong.” Someone here is exercising that right. Is it me? Well, whoever it is, I’ll let this go now.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Chronos seems to want the situation to be not as serious as it evidently is. I don't think that is the only post he's made in the past week that points to that conclusion.

That said, while being misguided or prone to wishful thinking may discredit one's opinions and arguments to other people, they don't constitute trolling, in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
LAZombie has eaten his last brain. He has expired. He is an LA-EX-Zombie. Worm food. Joined the choir deplorable.

I'm gonna miss him.
But he'll be getting better soon, I am sure. [why do I have a sudden premonition of stinky footwear...]
Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Chronos seems to want the situation to be not as serious as it evidently is. I don't think that is the only post he's made in the past week that points to that conclusion.

That said, while being misguided or prone to wishful thinking may discredit one's opinions and arguments to other people, they don't constitute trolling, in my opinion.
I never said the misguided wishful thinking was trolling, only the insincere pretending to think the OP was about beaches per se. Pretending to be ignorant of something to rile up others who disagree with the overall position is a (perhaps mild) form of trolling -- but I suppose you have a point, that if the overall position is held sincerely, it's not a big deal. Okay, maybe. I'll downgrade the misdeed to "feigned ignorance meant to delay or obfuscate meaningful discussion."
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
But he'll be getting better soon, I am sure. [why do I have a sudden premonition of stinky footwear...]
The reincarnated LAZombie won't last long. What with the frustrating-as-hell server errors and everything else going on the world, the mods seem to have little patience with complete fucking idiots. The poor Zombie -- along with several others who have been here awhile -- was dispatched to the netherworld without even so much as a mention in the ATMB. Of course with the Zombie, explicitly stated reasons were not necessary. His last post alone would have been sufficient.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna miss him.
And I'm going to miss him... not at all!

I often read threads without noticing names or dates, and running into one of his posts in an otherwise-rational discussion was like suddenly stepping on a turd.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
As a substitute teacher (IIRC) he is probably having a bit of a career slump.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Look what the virus dragged in.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Highly likely to be a "one post, DONE!" one way or another.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Highly likely to be a "one post, DONE!" one way or another.
And you were right. I guess another good side-effect of the virus is that the mods are sitting around reading the Dope the way we are...
Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 AM

Where's that troll who comes around every once in awhile to crow about the crazy riches he's making under the miraculous 'Trump economy.'
Old 03-23-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
And you were right. I guess another good side-effect of the virus is that the mods are sitting around reading the Dope the way we are...
Which is all well and good until we lose a gem like that Indian Mail Order Brides thread. That one had real potential.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
It's not deserved at all. expectopatronum came in and attacked Skald outside the Pit for saying he had a girlfriend, pulling one of the most basic forms of trolling. It was a hit job, to try and piss him off enough to get him in trouble. It's the same shit that people did to other more angry posters.

It'd be one thing if Skald's thread was even about sex, but it wasn't. It was about PDA and how the virus might affect it. No one who didn't have a previous beef with Skald got upset about it.

The only reason people think he's "a troll on the margins" is that they are looking for it. They are scrutinizing everything he posts as if it's some sort of way to get under their skin. There's no clearer picture of this when he gets lambasted for saying he has a girlfriend and discussing PDA--you know, those forms of affection that are so innocuous that we do them in public.

But you guys so thoroughly tied the misogyny and lack of welcoming women that I got called misogynistic for defending the guy, despite being the guy who had been pushing for misogyny (like other bigotry) being treated as against the rules.

And I'm sure it will again. Or I'll be accused of being blind because I like the guy. No, I just see shitty behavior being rewarded. Or just told to shut up, because that sure proves someone wrong!

It really is just that I find this behavior appalling and hate that it is rewarded. This was the most unreasonable one yet, yet it got the worst consequence for him. I say it because I find it wrong to stay silent when the consequences for standing up for the right thing is so small.
Hi, BigT. Since I'm back from my suspension, I can now reply to your ridiculous bullshit.

I've told you before you were the most useless poster I have ever seen on this board, and that's something I might feel guilty about after the fact if you did not prove it time and time again. You go around acting like you're such a friend to the women, yet when someone who has a history of being a rape-obsessed freak gets under a female poster's skin, you write a screed about poor Skald and how he's being attacked by a bunch of haters, likely because several of the naysayers are GB posters too and you're still bitter about that time you were laughed off the board when you socked up over there and tried to rally the posters into participating in email bombing the mods/admins here because you were mad over a warning you received. Fuck Skald, and if you support him, then fuck you, too.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna miss him.
What got him banned? I thought it might be his "AIDS-was-a-hoax" post here, but I didn't see any mod notes.

Edit -- never mind. I see the mods are now just axing people without the usual niceties about it. Good riddance, LAZ.

Last edited by Akaj; 03-23-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectopatronum View Post
Hi, BigT. Since I'm back from my suspension, I can now reply to your ridiculous bullshit.

I've told you before you were the most useless poster I have ever seen on this board, and that's something I might feel guilty about after the fact if you did not prove it time and time again. You go around acting like you're such a friend to the women, yet when someone who has a history of being a rape-obsessed freak gets under a female poster's skin, you write a screed about poor Skald and how he's being attacked by a bunch of haters, likely because several of the naysayers are GB posters too and you're still bitter about that time you were laughed off the board when you socked up over there and tried to rally the posters into participating in email bombing the mods/admins here because you were mad over a warning you received. Fuck Skald, and if you support him, then fuck you, too.
Do you ever contribute anything to this board other than to rant at the men folk? Look, I'm not saying some of your criticisms aren't legit. But Jesus fuck! You are so fucking one dimensional.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Do you ever contribute anything to this board other than to rant at the men folk? Look, I'm not saying some of your criticisms aren't legit. But Jesus fuck! You are so fucking one dimensional.
And you are tiresome and stupid. Fuck off.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectopatronum View Post
And you are tiresome and stupid. Fuck off.
"He's just a one-trick pony, that's all he is,
But he turn that trick with pride..."

Press on.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-23-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Please, tell us of all your many contributions and dimensions.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Please, tell us of all your many contributions and dimensions.
I think you may be confusing: "Posts in various thread about many things" with "Elevates" the board.

That being said I've donated to many Christmas give aways. Started one here even

Last edited by Grrr!; 03-23-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
What got him banned? I thought it might be his "AIDS-was-a-hoax" post here, but I didn't see any mod notes.

Edit -- never mind. I see the mods are now just axing people without the usual niceties about it. Good riddance, LAZ.
Wow. Even for LAZ that post was all kinds of nasty and stupid rolled up together.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

D'asshole's back.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

D'orkonia isn't really good at debating, is he?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

He's not trying to be good, he's just throwing up a wall of BS and hoping we'll get exhausted and just give up
Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
D'orkonia isn't really good at debating, is he?
I dunno; his latest post to that thread was pithy and succinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Total nonsense.
That said, his coding could use some work. I’d have been more impressed if he’d written:

<Total nonsense.>

Or [Total nonsense.] Style manuals differ.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-25-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Trollin', trollin', trollin' on the Do-ope.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Total nonsense.
He just described every one of his posts.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Machinaforce is at it again. At least the mods are shutting him down when he starts another in his identical pointless complaint threads about Buddhism.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Octopus's spirited defense of faith-based economics: Don't address the message, just call it names... maybe that will suffice.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-25-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Citing a right-wing news outlet which panders toward dumb conservatives. Perfect audience there.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:47 PM

<sigh>

OTIO
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
All the calls for Ďsocial distancingí donít seem to be working. Whenever Iím forced to go out to where other people are, at least one person gets unnecessarily close.

So I have pioneered Ďanti-social distancingí.

I fake a coughing fit.

That backs them right the hell off!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.