Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM
SDSAB

Don't f**k with the Jesus: Turturro plans Lebowski spinoff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Places_(2017_film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5974030/

The Coen Bros. have given their permission. Hope it's good!

"Eight-year-olds, Dude...."
Old 12-04-2016, 02:44 PM

I seem to recall Mr. Turturro saying that that was his favorite role of all time, so it doesn't surprise me that he'd want to revisit it. Glad that the Coens are cool with it and that Mr. Turturro himself is writing and directing.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-04-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:43 PM

"... a trio of sexually-depraved misfits, "

Gives a whole new meaning to "We've got a man down, Dude!" Ewww.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:11 PM

It kills me that our church is too "God's Frozen People" to have one of those signs outside, where we could give free advice, like...

Lutheran Zen Church of Normsville

"Don't fuck with the Jesus..."
Services at 8:15 and 10:45
Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 PM

I may duplicate that sign for the church on my model railroad.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 PM

I should probably watch the Big lebowski, always looked stupid to me but people reference it a lot.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
I should probably watch the Big lebowski, always looked stupid to me but people reference it a lot.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I've seen it and I don't think much of it as a film. One of my last favorite Coen Brothers films, for sure (prolly just ahead of The Hudsucker Proxy, in fact, and I loathe that film). But it does have a few good lines and 1 awesome scene, and like every Coen Brothers film, it does have fantastic performances. Mr. Turturro's, altho in a small supporting role, is memorably and hilariously over-the-top.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:35 AM

Honestly I think this is an awful idea. Having a child molester as an antagonist in a couple of scenes works, but a whole movie of them as the protagonist is going to turn a lot of stomachs. And the French film it's based on sounds appalling. This could be a complete disaster.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

+1^
Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 AM

Yeah!
Turtorro is a genius. I need to rewatch Romance & Cigarettes, which he not only directed, but found jobs for his entire family (his young son Diego played boy on tricycle).
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Jesus Quintana without the Coen Bros? Skimming his wikipedia page, I don't think I've seen anything John Turturro wrote or directed, but I've always loved his acting. I'll watch it for sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM

So, it is both a remake of one cult movie, and a spin-off of another.

Count me as skeptical.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
JSkimming his wikipedia page, I don't think I've seen anything John Turturro wrote or directed, but I've always loved his acting.
I cannot recommend Romance & Cigarettes highly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDB
A down-and-dirty musical set in the world of working-class New York, tells a story of a husband's journey into infidelity and redemption when he must choose between his seductive mistress and his beleaguered wife.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
Honestly I think this is an awful idea. Having a child molester as an antagonist in a couple of scenes works, but a whole movie of them as the protagonist is going to turn a lot of stomachs.
As far as we know, those are just allegations by Walter Sobchak, who is not at all reliable. The charges are not necessarily true.

Last edited by Colibri; 12-05-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
As far as we know, those are just allegations by Walter Sobchak, who is not at all reliable. The charges are not necessarily true.
Well, the blurb does say " it follows a trio of sexually-depraved misfits," but yes, I do hope they play down the child molester stuff.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
FWIW, the first time I saw it, I absolutely hated the movie, and I loved the Coens (minus the aforementioned Hudsucker Proxy). The second time (and ever since), I've viewed it, it vaulted to the upper echelon of my Coen Brothers movies list, and I have no idea what I found so objectionable about it the first time I saw it. So, it may be one of these movies that takes a couple of views spaced out over time to fully appreciate.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-05-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Well, the blurb does say " it follows a trio of sexually-depraved misfits," but yes, I do hope they play down the child molester stuff.
Most of my friends are sexually depraved misfits, but none of them are pedophiles.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
We do see in TBL (my longtime favorite Coen Bros. movie, BTW) a quick, silent scene of the Jesus going door-to-door, supposedly to notify his new neighbors that he's a convicted pedophile, but as you say, that might just be more of Walter's BS.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The "child molester" is perhaps going a little far. What I remember from the Big Lebowski was he was tossed in prison for "exposing" himself in front of a kid. For all we know, he was drunk and peed on an occupied jungle gym. Given the nature of the film they are remaking, it could be something to do with having sex with an adult in public with an unexpected juvenile audience.

Last edited by CarnalK; 12-05-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
The "child molester" is perhaps going a little far. What I remember from the Big Lebowski was he was tossed in prison for "exposing" himself in front of a kid. For all we know, he was drunk and peed on an occupied jungle gym. Given the nature of the film they are remaking, it could be something to do with having sex with an adult in public with an unexpected juvenile audience.
" No, he's a sex offender. With a record. He served 6 months in Chino for exposing himself to an eight year old. "

Ok.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 PM

I think I recall Walter referring to Quintana as a "pederast". Again, tho, just his allegation.

I am willing to give this a look, but I honestly don't see how this can meet expectations. It's more likely that the plane will hit the mountain.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
" No, he's a sex offender. With a record. He served 6 months in Chino for exposing himself to an eight year old. "

Ok.
This being a text medium, not sure if that's a facetious "ok" or not but there's plenty of real life and movie precedent for people being put on the sex offender list for less than reasonable reasons. In "Bad Bosses" one of the characters was registered as a sex offender for peeing within 500 ft of a school.

Bottom line though, I find it rather hard to believe anyone in Hollywood is making a movie that plays up the child molestor stuff, unless they are shooting for a deadly serious Oscar contender drama.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM

In Better Call Saul, the title character (but in his younger days known as "Slippin' Jimmy") was arrested for performing a "Chicago Sunroof", which is apparently what it's called when you take a shit into someone's car via an open sunroof. Turns out the intended victim's children were in the vehicle at the time. He was on the hook for some pretty serious sex offender charges, but his hotshot lawyer brother got him out of it.

Anyway, my point is, neither Saul Goodman nor Jesus Quintana are intended to be the "good guys". But as protagonists, they will not be actual pedophiles/child molesters/rapists/etc. It will definitely end up being a funny misunderstanding, albeit with significant consequences for the main character.

As a side character, the writers of The Big Lebowski can leave us hanging on whether The Jesus is an actual child molester. Once he becomes the main character in his own movie, they can play with our expectations by dragging it out a little, but they cannot let the movie end without making it pretty clear the protagonist is not, in fact, a child molester.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
This being a text medium, not sure if that's a facetious "ok" or not but there's plenty of real life and movie precedent for people being put on the sex offender list for less than reasonable reasons. In "Bad Bosses" one of the characters was registered as a sex offender for peeing within 500 ft of a school.

Bottom line though, I find it rather hard to believe anyone in Hollywood is making a movie that plays up the child molestor stuff, unless they are shooting for a deadly serious Oscar contender drama.
I meant "OK" as in the actual quote more or less agreed with what you said. Not someone I'd invite to be my kids babysitter, but not what I'd call a "child molester" either.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Exactly. Thinking this movie would be about the whacky hijinks of a child molester is pretty out there.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
...Once he becomes the main character in his own movie, they can play with our expectations by dragging it out a little, but they cannot let the movie end without making it pretty clear the protagonist is not, in fact, a child molester.
Well said. It's a safe bet that you've identified the way the spinoff will handle the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
We do see in TBL (my longtime favorite Coen Bros. movie, BTW) a quick, silent scene of the Jesus going door-to-door, supposedly to notify his new neighbors that he's a convicted pedophile, but as you say, that might just be more of Walter's BS.
In that seconds-long scene Turturro earned his salary (and enhanced his reputation). The look on his face evoked the character's entire biography.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Honestly I think this is an awful idea. Having a child molester as an antagonist in a couple of scenes works, but a whole movie of them as the protagonist is going to turn a lot of stomachs.
Quote:
As a side character, the writers of The Big Lebowski can leave us hanging on whether The Jesus is an actual child molester. Once he becomes the main character in his own movie, they can play with our expectations by dragging it out a little, but they cannot let the movie end without making it pretty clear the protagonist is not, in fact, a child molester.
Will he be an antagonist or a protagonist?

Last edited by Musicat; 12-05-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Honestly I think this is an awful idea. Having a child molester as an antagonist in a couple of scenes works, but a whole movie of them as the protagonist is going to turn a lot of stomachs. And the French film it's based on sounds appalling. This could be a complete disaster.
The character and the two scenes he was in were just intended to be kind of a throw-away reference to the randomness surrounding the life of Jeff 'The Dude' Lebowski, just like his neighor doing his performance dance art show, or the bowling alley employee who looked like Saddam Hussein. The entire film is an intentional riff on The Big Sleep, which itself was described by the famous Bodley Crowder as
..one of those pictures in which so many cryptic things occur amid so much involved and devious plotting that the mind becomes utterly confused. And, to make it more aggravating, the brilliant detective in the case is continuously making shrewd deductions which he stubbornly keeps to himself. What with two interlocking mysteries and a great many characters involved, the complex of blackmail and murder soon becomes a web of utter bafflement. Unfortunately, the cunning script-writers have done little to clear it at the end.
The plot is deliberately convoluted and the denouement is nonsensical as homage to the source material, and to Chandler who authored the source novel and didn't really care about plot. Chandler, was no Dashiell Hammett or James M. Cain, writing intricately plotted hidden literary masterpieces; he was a true pulp author of hard boiled fiction with no greater aim than to shock and horrify the reader, and was clearly the source of inspiration for the Coens' early work.

Anyway, if any Coen Brother's character deserves a spin-off or sequel, it should be Ulysses Everett McGill. "Damn! We're in a tight spot!"

Stranger
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
...Anyway, if any Coen Brother's character deserves a spin-off or sequel, it should be Ulysses Everett McGill. "Damn! We're in a tight spot!"
Over the line!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM

My hair!

I kinda think Ulysses Everett McGill already had his vehicle, it was called O Brother Where Art Thou? But I could be wrong. Just seems OBWAT was already about him.

As for The Jesus, I think this could go really well or really bad. I don't think they should try to make him a hero, or even terribly sympathetic, but there's a guy who probably has one helluva backstory.

I'd watch it. Maybe just for the weird bowling.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 AM
Elephant Whisperer

If the Coen Brothers approve, I approve.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Will he be an antagonist or a protagonist?
He was vaguely an antagonist in The Big Lebowski, but not the antagonist. In this spin off we're discussing, the movie is supposedly about Jesus Quintana. A movie's main character is the protagonist by definition, whether he's the good guy or not.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM

The cast includes Bobby Canavale, Susan Sarandon and Sonia Braga. All three can pull off the sexual misfit roles and could even be more morally repugnant than The Jesus.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I never really took that scene in TBL as meaning that The Jesus really was a child molester, just that he was weird and kind of unlikable, and that The Dude, Donny and Walter didn't know him well, and were willing to lend credence to any weird and wild rumors about him. Kind of like the absurd stuff you'd hear on the playground as a kid about any number of things- where the satan-worshippers congregated, what kid ate a turd, etc... none of which were actually true.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:49 PM

Mark it zero.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 PM
SDSAB

No way. Mark it eight, Dude.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 AM

You mark this film an eight and you're entering a world of pain.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I never really took that scene in TBL as meaning that The Jesus really was a child molester, just that he was weird and kind of unlikable, and that The Dude, Donny and Walter didn't know him well, and were willing to lend credence to any weird and wild rumors about him. Kind of like the absurd stuff you'd hear on the playground as a kid about any number of things- where the satan-worshippers congregated, what kid ate a turd, etc... none of which were actually true.
The film had a brief flashback clip of Jesus going door-to-door to notify his neighbors. Nothing to indicate that this was a Walter fantasy scene.

Also, Dude, "child molester" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Pederast", please.

--

And please let's stop picking on Smokey: He's fragile, very fragile.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The film had a brief flashback clip of Jesus going door-to-door to notify his neighbors. Nothing to indicate that this was a Walter fantasy scene.
There are lots of scenes in the movie that don't necessarily reflect reality. There's nothing to indicate that that scene was literally true.

Even so, as has been said, Jesus could have been listed as a sex offender and required to notify his neighbors for exposing himself inadvertently, and not actually be a child molester.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The film had a brief flashback clip of Jesus going door-to-door to notify his neighbors. Nothing to indicate that this was a Walter fantasy scene....
See post 19.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:24 PM
SDSAB

Here's a short interview with Turturro on how he developed the character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0W2crjd4bc
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM
SDSAB

Bumped.

I'm sure you'll all want this for your garden: http://www.militaryissue.com/Over-Th...tinfo/M602110/
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM
SDSAB

Bumped.

The Coen Bros. masterpiece turned 20 on March 6! So The Washington Post went back to movie critics who hated it when it first came out: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.559252ece4af
Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 PM
SDSAB

Bumped again.

Well, the movie's now out and the reviews aren't great. I'll probably still see it, though, TBL fan than I am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jesus_Rolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btp_Yd-MRoI
Old 03-17-2020, 02:50 PM

Once I saw the reviews start coming at Rotten Tomatoes, I knew it was going to be bad. Currently at 23%.

Was in 4 theaters in the US for one week. A purely nominal release. $18,169 gross. Bad even for such a limited release.

4.3/10 at IMDb

[Dean Wormer]
The Jesus Rolls ... has no CinemaScore.
[/Dean Wormer]

It's on my "when I get around to it" list. Which means probably never.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

The Mrs. and I watched it on cable this week past, and both enjoyed it. It's quirky as hell, and not in a particularly Coenesque way, but it didn't matter to us. Two messages came through in the film: Don't fuck with the Jesus, and the Jesus rolls, so for us it was good enough.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:55 PM
Elephant Whisperer

This has the potential to be the worst sequel since that one for Bad Santa.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
This has the potential to be the worst sequel since that one for Bad Santa.
Have you seen it?
Old 03-21-2020, 07:13 PM

I'm not a huge fan of French cinema, but for whatever reason I've seen the original film on at least three occasions. It's morally reprehensible, to be sure, but in a cheerfully existential French sort of way (not to mention peak Depardieu). I can't imagine how it could ever work in any other language or culture, let alone in 2020.

Last edited by Alessan; 03-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.