Old 11-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Like the "lack" of computers. Tech is different in this world. Fine. Then why did the animal cloning center have two computer monitors on its reception desk? And just how do they think the CD players work if not with a computer chip? Sloppy.
There are computers and holograms in the ancestry building that she needlessly broke into.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Damn, Don Johnson looks good at 69. Damn.

Last edited by Isamu; 11-27-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

It's a boring day, so I'm home watching TV, including rewatching some of these episodes. In rewatching the fifth episode (Looking Glass's origin story), I wonder about the continuing squid attacks. Somewhere we learned that Adrian Veidt was responsible for the giant squid attack on New York, but who is causing the tiny squid to rain down?

And the proposed tourism commercial for New York had one couple talk about how nice it was to walk through Central Park and not see another soul. That suggests that New York has been largely abandoned, which surprises me. But perhaps after three million dead, others moved out of the city and it's been depopulated.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It's a boring day, so I'm home watching TV, including rewatching some of these episodes. In rewatching the fifth episode (Looking Glass's origin story), I wonder about the continuing squid attacks. Somewhere we learned that Adrian Veidt was responsible for the giant squid attack on New York, but who is causing the tiny squid to rain down?
I believe it's been hinted that the tiny squid rain is part of the government's efforts to keep people believing in the original squid attack.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I believe it's been hinted that the tiny squid rain is part of the government's efforts to keep people believing in the original squid attack.
where would they get millions of one -eyed alien squids? And how would they spread them?
Old 11-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
where would they get millions of one -eyed alien squids? And how would they spread them?
How important is it for you to know this? Do you have any other questions about unexplained things in fantasy/sci-fi fiction?
Old 11-29-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Viedt set it up in advance with the same technology that produced the first one including the teleportation device that kills them as it teleports them. All Redford and the government needed to do was follow the plan as laid out by him.

A very simple squidus ex machina.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
How did they get the original city-sized squid, and how did they transport it?

I imagine they're using similar technology. It hasn't been explicitly stated, so you're going to have to use the same suspension of disbelief that you used to accept that creating a gigantic NYC-sized squid is possible, or that transporting it is possible. (In fact, we've already seen the transporter technology in use, so you're halfway there!)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
How did they get the original city-sized squid, and how did they transport it?

I imagine they're using similar technology. It hasn't been explicitly stated, so you're going to have to use the same suspension of disbelief that you used to accept that creating a gigantic NYC-sized squid is possible, or that transporting it is possible. (In fact, we've already seen the transporter technology in use, so you're halfway there!)
Ozymandias opened a portal. Did the Govt know about his plan and get his tech? Because if they know about his plan, then the whole lie doesnt work.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ozymandias opened a portal. Did the Govt know about his plan and get his tech? Because if they know about his plan, then the whole lie doesnt work.
Senator Keene said that he was shown the Ozymandias video soon after he became a senator. So that means that the federal government is in on the ongoing hoax.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Just saw the latest episode, and it was great. Show is fantastic so far.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Senator Keene said that he was shown the Ozymandias video soon after he became a senator. So that means that the federal government is in on the ongoing hoax.
Sure, now, and I concur, but then the hoax doesnt work, and there's no reason to keep it up. The Russians have to know by now then.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Sure, now, and I concur, but then the hoax doesnt work, and there's no reason to keep it up. The Russians have to know by now then.
Maybe they do, but they are waiting for the perfect moment to release that information.

Or maybe Russia is doing the same thing because it wants a fearful citzenry too.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Maybe they do, but they are waiting for the perfect moment to release that information.

Or maybe Russia is doing the same thing because it wants a fearful citzenry too.
The most Watchmen-esque answer would presumably be that the Americans think the Russians donít know, and think the Russians would belligerently go on the warpath if they did know; even while the Russians do know, but think the Americans (a) donít, and (b) would belligerently go on the warpath if anyone let them know...
Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Sure. And the alternative is...going back to the brink of nuclear annihilation? And by now, Manhattan tech is more firmly in the hands of the Americans, so you trade detente for a losing hand? Nyet.

Yes - this is a little bit of fanwanking. But c'mon, what in the world do you actually enjoy that you don't find the need to try to poke endless tiny holes in? If such a thing exists, maybe go watch that a few more times instead.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 PM

I did NOT see that twist coming! Holy crap.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 PM

What in the actual fuck?

I'm skeptical that this will wrap up in a way that makes sense and is also satisfying. Enjoying it, but god damn am I confused.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Again
Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 PM

...best reaction on Twitter today, shared by Regina King. (Contains pretty oblique spoilers, don't click if you haven't seen Episode 7)

https://twitter.com/ReginaKing/statu...67672195170307
Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 AM

So, Angela's dad had "Abar" on his uniform, right? Guess it makes sense that Cal took her name.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

It seems obvious that the climax is going to center around the activation of the "Millenium Clock" thing that Lady Trieu was building. And also, Adrian Veidt is up to something, given that the "prosecutor" winked at him at the end there. (I'm wondering what they could possibly have done in a trial lasting one full year.)

But I'm not totally clear on what Doctor Manhattan was doing in Cal. Was he conscious independent of Cal? And was he literally in that little thing that Angela pulled out of her husband's head (after mashing it with a hammer)? Because I didn't catch this on first viewing but some of the recaps say that the Seventh Kavalry intended to take Doctor Manhattan's powers out of Cal and give them to the senator. Not sure how that's possible.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 12-02-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM

I remember when Will Reeves was hanging out with Lady Trieu and said that she'd be really mad at him in 3 days (I guess when the Millennium Clock starts going). I wonder if the Clock is intended to vaporize Dr. Manhattan - in a way that prevents the Kalvary from getting his powers. Because it seems like Dr. Manhattan and Angela fell in love and he decided to be 'humanized' for her.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Does anyone have an explanation for the elephant? Was it just the best host Lady Trieu could find, or does it have some special significance?

The Cal thing seems to be coming out of nowhere, I am scared we are in for another "Lost", wherein the windy road of absurdity never went anywhere.

I thought the episode was good, but I am a little disappointed how quickly Blake was able to figure out everything. Did Looking Glass tell her about Senator Keene, or did she figure that out on her own? If Looking Glass did spill the tea, that explains why the Kav came after him. But how would they know he did that?

I did enjoy Angela's backstory.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

But I'm not totally clear on what Doctor Manhattan was doing in Cal.
He's not "in" Cal. He is Cal. Dr. Manhattan fell in love with Angela and they devised a scheme for him to take human form and forget his past so that they could be together. They built in a means by which Angela could reverse the memory block in case of emergencies.

Quote:
Was he conscious independent of Cal? And was he literally in that little thing that Angela pulled out of her husband's head (after mashing it with a hammer)?
I don't think they hijacked a human's body to be host to Doctor Manhattan's consciousness, if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
Because I didn't catch this on first viewing but some of the recaps say that the Seventh Kavalry intended to take Doctor Manhattan's powers out of Cal and give them to the senator. Not sure how that's possible.
They haven't said yet how that's possible, but Senator Keene told Laurie that their plan was to destroy Doctor Manhattan and that Senator Keene would make himself into the type of being that Doctor Manhattan is.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does anyone have an explanation for the elephant? Was it just the best host Lady Trieu could find, or does it have some special significance?
So far, what I got is that it's a joke about elephants having good memories.

Quote:
The Cal thing seems to be coming out of nowhere, I am scared we are in for another "Lost", wherein the windy road of absurdity never went anywhere.
If you read some of the recaps, you can see that they planted hints of this throughout the entire series, so it's not coming out of nowhere in that sense.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Besides, I think this twist does indicate a resolution is coming. Dr. Manhattan will deus ex machina the fuck out of the Seventh Kalvary. The question becomes what's the Clock for and how does Veidt fit in.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Besides, I think this twist does indicate a resolution is coming. Dr. Manhattan will deus ex machina the fuck out of the Seventh Kalvary. The question becomes what's the Clock for and how does Veidt fit in.
Speculation I have read is that Thieu plans to prevent the Seventh Kavalry from stealing Doctor Manhattan's power by destroying him first.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Speculation I have read is that Thieu plans to prevent the Seventh Kavalry from stealing Doctor Manhattan's power by destroying him first.
Yeah, that was my speculation as well upthread. I wonder if Veidt comes into it as he would just love it happening.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, that was my speculation as well upthread. I wonder if Veidt comes into it as he would just love it happening.
I have also read speculation that Thieu is going to help Adrian Veidt return to earth. She mentioned to Angela that her father would be back for her big day. The speculation is that Veidt may be Thieu's father.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM

The other theory may be that it may wipe people's memories so they won't be burdened by the past - as Lady Trieu's monologue about how Nostalgia failed lamented. And it will stop the Kalvary by wiping their racism with the rest of their memories.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I have also read speculation that Thieu is going to help Adrian Veidt return to earth. She mentioned to Angela that her father would be back for her big day. The speculation is that Veidt may be Thieu's father.
I did get Veidt being Trieu's father, especially after she was so cagey about the father not being here at the moment but will be. Or could Trieu be a clone of Veidt?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Looking Glass is somewhere around in a Rorschach mask. And he was not caught off guard.

It now makes more sense why they wanted Angela out of the way.

Will Blake be jealous of her? He wasn’t willing to do that for her ...
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22 PM

I don't think that the 7th Kavalry knows who Dr. Manhattan is, only that he's in the area. They've taken Blake to use her as bait, just like Bubastis in the comic.

My money's on the Milennium Clock wiping out everyone's memories. The memory angle has been played too strongly throughout the series for it not to be tied into the payoff.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM

One interesting theory I've seen floated:

SPOILER:
The Clock will beam into everyone the memories of those who have been oppressed by colonialism (like Trieu's mother) and racism (like Will Reeves). So instead of using fear to unify the country, Trieu's plan is to fill the populace with righteous indignation. The same emotion that empowered Will Reeves to become Hooded Justice. And Angela to become Sister Night.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Okay so that penultimate episode was bananas. I love this show but I want to rewind back a few episodes because I have to comment on how Looking Glass' ex just casually plopped a puppy into an incinerator. That one stuck with me for days.

Now we know the Who, What, When, Where and Why of everything except what the heck is happening with Veidt.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 PM

We also don't know what crashed onto that farm that Trieu wanted, and what's up with Slippery Silver Guy. And whatever brick that Laurie metaphorically threw up into the air still needs to come down, and we don't really know what that might be.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I assumed that when Laurie went into that phone booth, told that joke and her car crashed down, that it was a sign that Doctor Manhattan was listening to her. But we saw in the last episode that Lady Trieu was getting all of the messages from those phone booths and Doctor Manhattan was effectively not himself. So who crashed the car down?
Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 PM

Probably Trieu. Maybe Will Reeves toying with Blake.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 PM

Here's some info from the comics that may play a part:

The Comedian murdered a woman in Vietnam who was carrying his child. Any chance that child survived and is Trieu?

Great episode. Throws me completely on my head trying to hold it together in my mind, but great episode.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I thought the episode was good, but I am a little disappointed how quickly Blake was able to figure out everything. ...

k
Yes, it came from the same place as the Polar bear.

Yeah, this one was 90% useless flashbacks of flashbacks and 10% moving forward.

And that's why FBI agents never go around by themselves, except in film & TV.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Season 1 episode 3 uses music from the movie Limitless.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 AM

This is what I was thinking of as soon as we saw the remote for the trap door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmLU9VOJlM
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Was going back and thinking... when Veidt was on his moon and writing (with dead clones) "Save Me D", I thought it may have been Dr. Manhattan, but now I'm thinking Veidt was writing "Save Me Daughter".
Old 12-08-2019, 09:05 PM

Just FYI, there's a post credits scene tonight.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

That answered a lot of questions, but not all of them. Like what was the organic form in which he stored his powers?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 PM

This show just keeps getting better. Loved the non linear Dr. Manhattan episode. I do wonder if there was a good reason for him to be captured because it seems he's quite ok with it. Maybe the Millennium Clock killing him takes out all the 7K?

Anyways I also loved the pun of the episode title - A God Walks Into A/bar

Old 12-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Also, what fell out of the sky in that farmer's field? What is the clock for? How does Veigt tie into everything?

*eta* And silver slippery storm drain guy.

Seems like more than one episode would be needed to wrap that stuff up, but everything so far seems so calculated I think it'll play out alright.

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 12-08-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

The episode seemed to show us that Veidt voluntarily went to Europa so when did that turn into a prison? And are Doctor Manhattan's powers in those eggs on the kitchen floor? But then he demonstrated powers when fighting the Seventh Kavalry. And what was the whole thing with Angela thinking she introduced the idea that Judd was in the Seventh Kavalry?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
And what was the whole thing with Angela thinking she introduced the idea that Judd was in the Seventh Kavalry?
Her Grandfather never heard of Judd until Angela asked her grandfather why he killed Judd. She told him from the future that Judd was Seventh Kavalry.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Angela does introduce Will to the idea Judd is 7K. She wants to know how Will knows it so when she asks, she makes sure that Will knows.

As for Europa being a prison - probably for the same reason it became dull for Dr. Manhattan. There is nothing really to do there. And he had no way of leaving. And Dr. Manhattan had amnesia so couldn't help even if he wanted. The servants are created with so much wanting to love and serve that wanting to leave probably seems like a massive betrayal.