Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,948
Nm duplicate

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 11-06-2018 at 07:41 PM.
  #102  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I can't stand the subject of this thread. I find him to be an idiot, a terrible debater, and disingenuous in the extreme. However, I thought he was treated pretty unfairly in that thread. I thought there was an actual interesting question in there (which I posted over there -- feel free to call me on it), but the SDMB couldn't get past his history.

I guess he's being treated unfairly there because he's such an asshole elsewhere, but that thread was still a shitshow for no real reason other than that.
...it is a potentially interesting question handled with the sensitivity of a boorish oaf. The thread title gave no indication that the thread was going to be a fairly explicit discussion of sexual assault. In fact, the thread title in fact gives the impression that the subject of the thread is something that is regularly discussed. And when he asks " a finger (or two or three fingers or even a fist) count as an object?" one has to wonder exactly how much pleasure he got when he wrote that sentence.

It has nothing to do with his history. Even if I didn't know who it was who wrote that OP I still would have thought "what sort of arsehole would write this without giving a warning?"
  #103  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...it is a potentially interesting question handled with the sensitivity of a boorish oaf. The thread title gave no indication that the thread was going to be a fairly explicit discussion of sexual assault. In fact, the thread title in fact gives the impression that the subject of the thread is something that is regularly discussed. And when he asks " a finger (or two or three fingers or even a fist) count as an object?" one has to wonder exactly how much pleasure he got when he wrote that sentence.

It has nothing to do with his history. Even if I didn't know who it was who wrote that OP I still would have thought "what sort of arsehole would write this without giving a warning?"
I agree that a <graphic content> warning was warranted. I won't even respond to that thread while I'm not at home.

Believe me, I have no love for that guy. It would have been interesting to discuss those nuances, though, in a more objective fashion, even though the actual subject is pretty gross.
  #104  
Old 11-25-2018, 08:18 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Nobody, before this comment, has equated the term "public hanging" with extrajudicial lynchings. The term public hanging has always and forever heretofore meant the legal method of execution conducted in most states in the 19th century.
Just doing his thing. Making shit up and not backing down an inch.
  #105  
Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
Keep an eye out for the, "Sure my facts were wrong, but my opinion is still right," argument in the Cindy Hyde-Smith thread.

It's an UltraVires classic.
  #106  
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,426
Y'all, I think the door just hit him on the butt.
  #107  
Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Y'all, I think the door just hit him on the butt.
Wait, what? Can you elaborate? He's not banned. Did he flounce?
  #108  
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Wait, what? Can you elaborate? He's not banned. Did he flounce?
Sounds like it here.
  #109  
Old 11-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,569
Excellent! I thought I heard fewer fart noises bouncing off the walls of the echo chamber today.
  #110  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM
D_Odds is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queens
Posts: 13,092
Why is it that the stupidest people think that their lack of participation will hurt discussion?
  #111  
Old 11-26-2018, 04:31 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,792
"Hey, if we're not allowed to say dumb racist shit, then I'm going to get THE FUCK OUTTA HERE! Enjoy your non racist- or is that racial- echo chamber!"

Last edited by bobot; 11-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
  #112  
Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Y'all, I think the door just hit him on the butt.
Rake handle hit him in the face.
  #113  
Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Rake handle hit him in the face.
Only UltraVires can prevent forest fires.
  #114  
Old 11-26-2018, 04:53 PM
zoid's Avatar
zoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 10,482
LOL - his position basically boils down to "You guys just don't like me saying racist and homophobic stuff just because YOU aren't racist and homophobic!"
  #115  
Old 11-26-2018, 06:06 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Only UltraVires can prevent forest fires.
  #116  
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,577
Smokey the Bear is in the Witness Protection Program. Drinks a lot.
  #117  
Old 11-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 13,510
How will he practice law? He'll be back.
  #118  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Why is it that the stupidest people think that their lack of participation will hurt discussion?
David Dunning and Justin Kruger addressed this quite elegantly.
  #119  
Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
He's never heard of the National Guard, either.
  #120  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
Can we add "unbelievably sexist" to "fucking dumb" on his resume? His comments in the Selective Service thread ("Well, I don't have a son, but if I did, he would probably be of better use to the army as a GI than my daughter, who would cripple the country with debt if they had to buy her clothing.", "But if they wanted to come and draft my little girl and make her go out and kill? That would probably break one of her nails.") are so bad I'm surprised they haven't drawn a warning.

Hopefully, his daughter never sees his embarrassing and demeaning posts. I wonder if he lets her get an education or use the internet -- maybe he just pats her little head and tells her she'll just have to find a husband to keep her. School is for the boys and she shouldn't worry her pretty little head about it.

At this point, he's practically performance art.
  #121  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
At this point, he's practically performance art.
This.

When I saw this thread bumped I was sure it was going to be about his posts in the now locked misogyny policy thread in ATMB. Every post of his in that thread is thick as fuck.
  #122  
Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Budget Player Cadet is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,722
He's currently shitting up the Brexit thread. I mean... wow. This guy is dumb.
  #123  
Old 12-19-2018, 06:08 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,192
I imagine his daughter, assuming she exists, will only be allowed to go for her MRS degree.
  #124  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,177
In the "mistrusting government" thread, he is now positing that there is no white resentment of minority rights because West Virginia is a mostly white state and white boys are pulled over by police.

I guess you had to be there. But he is indeed a fucking idiot.
  #125  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
He has found his way into the PC thread in IMHO, so god help us there. He's using all his best lawyering arguing skills! Which is why being too PC leads to white people becoming radicalized and transphobic, or something -- it's a little hard to follow.
  #126  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 PM
RavenSong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
His ex-wife
  #127  
Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Hillbilly Lawyer is bewildered to learn that the UK governmental system isn't quite the same as the US one but it somehow works just as well anyway.
  #128  
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Hillbilly Lawyer is bewildered to learn that the UK governmental system isn't quite the same as the US one but it somehow works just as well anyway.
He seems to find The Law bewildering in general.
  #129  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:29 PM
EddyTeddyFreddy's Avatar
EddyTeddyFreddy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Exurbia, No'thuh Bawst'n
Posts: 13,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Hillbilly Lawyer is bewildered to learn that the UK governmental system isn't quite the same as the US one but it somehow works just as well anyway.
Dammitall, I could feel brain cells gibbering and dying just reading that thing, and it's not like I have a lot of spare capacity left at my age.
  #130  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Hillbilly Lawyer is bewildered to learn that the UK governmental system isn't quite the same as the US one but it somehow works just as well anyway.
Reported.

You made all of us dumber for having linked to that. Posts should never be weaponized... I had no choice!

Last edited by JohnT; 12-30-2018 at 06:39 PM.
  #131  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,889
I enjoyed it! "I cannot understand it, but here's my understanding of it." Comedy gold.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #132  
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
In the Supreme Court allowing Trump's anti-trans executive order to proceed, UV contradicts himself right in the OP. Then, he doesn't understand that he's done that, so Little Nemo takes him to school:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...8&postcount=16

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark!
  #133  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:50 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Dammitall, I could feel brain cells gibbering and dying just reading that thing, and it's not like I have a lot of spare capacity left at my age.
If only we could target the effect. Read something wearying and tiresome, and scorch the brain cells that have the memory of when I tried to blame the fart on the dog, and the dog was outside.
  #134  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
If only we could target the effect. Read something wearying and tiresome, and scorch the brain cells that have the memory of when I tried to blame the fart on the dog, and the dog was outside.
"Uh... lucky for us! Imagine how bad if he were in here..."
  #135  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,177
In the Prostitution thread, UV argues that experiencing good sex is a threat to the stability of marriages. Because wifey might be perceived as not as exciting as previous sex partners.

He's a dumb fuck even by West Virginia standards.
  #136  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 970
The challenge is to find a standard by which he isn't a dumbfuck.

I suspect it's impossible.
  #137  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
He's likely slightly less of a dumbfuck than doorhinge and Urbanredneck. So yanno, he's got that goin' for him.
  #138  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
I disagree about doorhinge. I don't think he's as stupid as he appears -- he's just a disingenuous jerk who always argues in bad faith. Now, Urbanredneck, wow. I agree with you there.
  #139  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
I almost forgot this one. The hillbilly admits he carries a shootin' iron because of his fear of brown people.
  #140  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 AM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
While I would not doubt his general fear of Other, including POC, your link does not seem to match your assertion.
  #141  
Old 01-29-2019, 10:06 PM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,843
Here he gives what seems like reasonable advice, for what it's worth.
  #142  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
West Virginia's dumbest lawyer has little to no understanding about Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Serious question. What legal or moral wrong is there is knowing that a foreign country is on your side in a presidential election and being happy that they are on your side?
Russia was rooting for Trump and that made Trump smile. What's wrong with that?

His ignorance, however, is not going to prevent him from sharing his hot takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I keep seeing "attack" "destabilize" "cause distrust" "interfered" etc. My understanding was that the Russians just put out garbage on Facebook and other social media, things that if done by Americans would have been okay.

Those words seem to be hyperbole unless I am mistaken about what the Russians actually did. Are foreigners not allowed to advocate in U.S. elections or just the governments themselves? Can a Russian on vacation make a speech in a public park about an upcoming election? Can he take out a Facebook ad?
Pro tip UltraVires, whenever you find yourself saying, "Unless I'm mistaken..." you should stop immediately and figure out the what the facts are.

Of course you're mistaken you fucking nit wit. You are mistaken almost all the time so it should not come as a shock to you.
  #143  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Let me ask it another way. Let's say that I work for Pepsi and I want more people to buy Pepsi instead of Coke. If I, as an American working for Pepsi, did absolutely everything the Russians did in 2016, except that my message was "Coke sucks, drink Pepsi" instead of "Clinton sucks, vote Trump" would I have violated any laws?
When Pepsi tries to breach the computers of every county government in Florida let me know you fucking dumb ass.
  #144  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
West Virginia's dumbest lawyer has little to no understanding about Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Just what I came here to post. I was actually going to put it in the Trolls R Us thread but I suppose this keeps all the stupidity from our resident dumbass in one place.

Apparently the fact that illegal Russian election meddling ramped up to unprecedented levels in 2016 -- and that they have been found to be doing the same thing in the UK and elsewhere in western democracies with the specific goal of destabilizing them -- is to this driveling imbecile the exact equivalent of just being "on Trump's side". There's actually no "apparently" about it -- that's literally what the feeble-brained twit actually said.

Hey, West Virginia's dumbest lawyer, back in 2008 I wanted to buy a $20 "Obama '08" baseball cap online. I could not. It would be considered a campaign contribution, and it was illegal for me, as a non-American, to engage in such electioneering. But you think it's just fine for a veritable army of Russian agents to be working to skew the national presidential election results in every possible way they could. Your stupidity is astounding. Maybe the fact that the Russians were doing it because they want to see the US going down the toilet as a world power is what makes it OK for you? Are you willfully a traitor or are you just that unfathomably dumb?
  #145  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,458
And don't forget that not only were the Russians committing a multitude of crimes, they were doing so at Trump's request. If it were just the Russians, you could say "well, what do you want us to do about it, start a war?". But the conspirators inside the US, them we can do something about.
  #146  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:46 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,647
And, of course, in a court filing, the Russians argued that the venue was incorrect because they consider what they did to be an act of war.
  #147  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:54 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,881
Reading that thread, he doesn't just come across as an idiot, which he is of course. He practically comes across as a traitor to me. I mean, whose side are you on, Russia's or the US?

Also, UV, lots of things are illegal if foreigners to then that aren't illegal if Americans do them, especially related to campaigns.
  #148  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,395
More from that thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Further, it was well known during the 2016 election that the Russians and more particularly Putin supported Trump. If anything, that hurt him.

How does a foreign government expressing its views in our elections constitute any of those words? The voters can take that support into account when they make their choices and vote accordingly. Oh, Russian is for Trump, but France and the UK are really pushing for Hillary? Well, I don't like the Russians, but I do like the Brits, so my vote is for Hillary.

What's wrong with that?
This whole investigation is all because Putin, in passing, just happened to mentioned he liked Trump.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-18-2019 at 04:59 PM.
  #149  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:04 PM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,855
I think he might meet the literal definition of retarded.
  #150  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,577
So, attacking America at our judo chop spots is rubbing up on our biases, suspicions, and mistrust, the grim spectrum from disdain to hatred. Told the Bernie Bros how Hillary cheated them out of supreme power, told white working class guys that black/brown people were coming for their jobs and their daughters.

Didn't say much of anything to rich folks. I mean, sure, preach to the choir but why bother? Oldest trick in the book, really, happened to the Grand Vizier of Akkad (2019 BCE), who was summarily dismissed.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017