Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Reading that thread, he doesn't just come across as an idiot, which he is of course. He practically comes across as a traitor to me. I mean, whose side are you on, Russia's or the US?

Also, UV, lots of things are illegal if foreigners to then that aren't illegal if Americans do them, especially related to campaigns.
"Better Russian than a Democrat."
Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And don't forget that not only were the Russians committing a multitude of crimes, they were doing so at Trump's request.
I'm going to need a cite for the fact that it was at Trump's request. It's not like there is video of him publicly asking the Russians to hack the Democrats. If there were, then certainly the GOP would turn against him.

Last edited by Ludovic; 04-19-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm going to need a cite for the fact that it was at Trump's request. It's not like there is video of him publicly asking the Russians to hack the Democrats. If there were, then certainly the GOP would turn against him.
What? You think Trump is going to get up in front of a bunch of reporters and say to the Russians to please hack the email of a former senator and secretary of state? That's not how these things work.

Last edited by madmonk28; 04-19-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

"I'm not a Russian plant...I'm just auditioning for the job".
Old 04-19-2019, 02:20 PM

I hope for his sake that the North Carolina Bar doesn't read the dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But to expand on the hypo, let's say that the cop from the neighboring town thought the cop from my town was a bad guy and wanted secretly for me to win my case so I discussed strategy with him. Let's further say that objectively the neighboring cop is even more corrupt than the cop in my town.

Is it unethical to simply talk to the neighboring cop? I'm not saying that I will support his corrupt practices, but I will take his help.

Maybe that does skirt some lines somewhere, but as I keep saying, it is not something where I am calling for heads on pikes.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is wrong with allying with someone who you would otherwise hate for the limited purpose of accomplishing a specific goal? Again, is it because they are foreigners? It must be because if an American group had done exactly what the Russians did, and Trump allied with them, there would not be an issue.
This terrible lawyer is literally saying that it is smart to get the Russians working for your campaign.

Keep in mind Russians are under indictment for what they did in 2016, and this idiot thinks it is smart to work with those criminals.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentally retarded WV lawyer: But, are you saying it's wrong and illegal because it was done by foreigners?

kenobi 65, with saint-like patience: Yes, that's definitely part of it. Foreign entities and nationals can't do that.

Mentally retarded WV lawyer: But, what if it was done by the NRA or an American citizen? Would that make any difference.

kenobi 65, with saint-like patience: Yes, because they aren't foreign entities. It makes a difference.

Mentally retarded WV lawyer: I understand that rules can be different for citizens vs. non-citizens. Anyway, is was it wrong just because it's a foreign government?

kenobi 65, losing some saintl-like patience: Yes, godammit! Foreigners can't do that! I'm out of here, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.

Mentally retarded WV lawyer: But, is it wrong because it was a foreign government? Why can't they interfere with our elections, just because they are foreign?

RitterSport, likes talking to brick walls: Yes! As has been explained over and over, they can't do that because election laws say that foreign entities can't do that.

Now I'm waiting with bated breath for him to ask, "would it be OK if it was a citizen? Does it matter that it was a foreign actor?"
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Now I'm waiting with bated breath for him to ask, "would it be OK if it was a citizen? Does it matter that it was a foreign actor?"
As long as it's not Gerard Depardieu. I hate that guy.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM

I posted this in another thread, but

Here’s a hypothetical for you UV. Suppose Justin Trudeau or Angela Merkel made a public speech detailing Trump’s horribleness and urging all good Americans to vote against him.

Would that be OK with you? Would it be the same situation if Barack Obama or Elizabeth Warren made the exact same speech?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post

Hereís a hypothetical for you UV. Suppose Justin Trudeau or Angela Merkel made a public speech detailing Trumpís horribleness and urging all good Americans to vote against him.

Would that be OK with you? Would it be the same situation if Barack Obama or Elizabeth Warren made the exact same speech?
I see that UV has not responded, nor posted over there recently, presumably because his fevered brain needs a rest after trying so hard -- and failing -- to understand this extremely difficult question of why a swarm of Russian trolls deluging social media with disinformation campaigns in support of Trump, hacking the DNC, injecting malware into DNC computers, hacking state and county agencies, and offering every possible assistance to the Trump campaign, is in any way different from the Russians liking Trump and hoping that he wins.

What you've asked is just another example of the kind of incredibly nuanced question that UV has been struggling with in that thread, the kind that would challenge even a brain of Einstein's caliber, so it's no wonder that UV is probably lying down with an ice pack over his throbbing forehead until he recovers from the mental exertion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
This terrible lawyer is literally saying that it is smart to get the Russians working for your campaign.

Keep in mind Russians are under indictment for what they did in 2016, and this idiot thinks it is smart to work with those criminals.
The ideal situation I'm picturing is that more Russians are indicted for meddling in the 2020 election, and through some quirk of fate, UltraVires becomes their defense lawyer. I believe this to be a highly appropriate situation considering how much deep thought UV has put into the matter, and one that will no doubt lead to a just outcome in which the Russians, nominally facing five years' imprisonment, will instead get the death penalty. Though I suspect by the time it's over UV will need that ice pack again to cool the mighty overheated brain.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
As long as it's not Gerard Depardieu. I hate that guy.

Isn't he a citizen of Russia now?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post

Hereís a hypothetical for you UV. Suppose Justin Trudeau or Angela Merkel made a public speech detailing Trumpís horribleness and urging all good Americans to vote against him.

UltraVires doesn't post in this thread or possibly anywhere in the Pit. In addition to being West Virginia's dumbest lawyer he is a coward with a tiny tiny baby-like penis (presumably).
Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

He's Canadian?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
He's Canadian?
Wow, you're a total asshole. Even for an American, you stand out.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 PM

I was assuming he meant something much less asshole-ish -- though I can't imagine exactly what -- but I'm willing to let him explain himself.

ETA: Wait a minute ... there's also this, from yesterday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
So, attacking America at our judo chop spots is rubbing up on our biases, suspicions, and mistrust, the grim spectrum from disdain to hatred. Told the Bernie Bros how Hillary cheated them out of supreme power, told white working class guys that black/brown people were coming for their jobs and their daughters.

Didn't say much of anything to rich folks. I mean, sure, preach to the choir but why bother? Oldest trick in the book, really, happened to the Grand Vizier of Akkad (2019 BCE), who was summarily dismissed.
OK, he's on drugs. Just let it go.

Last edited by wolfpup; 04-20-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Don't have to read any, names right up top there, fair warning. Few will know, and fewer will care.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
UltraVires doesn't post in this thread or possibly anywhere in the Pit. In addition to being West Virginia's dumbest lawyer he is a coward with a tiny tiny baby-like penis (presumably).
This is an aspect of SDMB culture Iíve never understood:

Poster A: ďCome to the Pit so I can call you all sorts of rude and vile names!Ē

Poster B: ďIíll pass, thanks. I come here for my own personal enjoyment, not to be the target of abuse.Ē

Poster A: ďCoward! That just proves everything I was planning on saying!Ē

Poster B: ďHave a nice day!Ē
Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
This is an aspect of SDMB culture Iíve never understood:
Seems like you understand it.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I hope they do.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 PM
BANNED

Does UltraVires fuck his dog?

Probably not. But he sure keeps fuckin' that chicken.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I hope they do.
Unless there's some reason to believe that the NC Bar has expanded its jurisdiction to include WV, I gotta wonder: why?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Unless there's some reason to believe that the NC Bar has expanded its jurisdiction to include WV, I gotta wonder: why?
Prevent him from moving there someday.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
mixed up which Red state he was from
Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
mixed up which Red state he was from
We should really start calling them brown states. Firstly because they're primarily occupied by a bunch of brownshirted authoritarian dickbags, and secondly because they're just kinda shit.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
We should really start calling them brown states. Firstly because they're primarily occupied by a bunch of brownshirted authoritarian dickbags, and secondly because they're just kinda shit.
Real shithole counties.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

Even his clients think he's an idiot.

OK, I'm sure that one isn't not really his fault, but it made me laugh.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:53 AM
BANNED

Check out his contributions to this thread.

This fucker needs to stop lying. He's not a lawyer - or if he is, he's obviously full of shit. I really wish we could have some moderator intervention here - "Hey, listen, we know you claim to be a lawyer, so that means either many of your posts here (and definitely the post in that thread) are in blatant bad faith and you know you're lying about them, or you're lying about being a lawyer. One or the other has to fucking stop."

Can anyone here take these claims with good faith? Or are we all just pretending, lest the moderators (who refuse to take even the most blatantly bad-faith bullshit as evidence of trolling, see Bone's contribution to that thread) smack us down for calling this shit what it is?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM

West Virginia's dumbest lawyer is a consistent proponent of following the law unless it's a law that hurts the current administration.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Check out his contributions to this thread.
Nice to see D'Asshole being kicked out of there.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 AM

How does someone scream that long and vigorously (or at all) over a dead iguana? A dead human, sure, maybe. A dead iguana?

Last edited by Harrington; 06-18-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
How does someone scream that long and vigorously (or at all) over a dead iguana? A dead human, sure, maybe. A dead iguana?

Well, you know, one reptile may have a certain concern for another reptile's demise.

Last edited by Monty; 06-18-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Such a charming fellow.

Quote:
So we need more rules that are just made up on the spot? Where did this "no rape jokes" rule come from? I see no sticky about it.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6&postcount=58
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Courts in this numbskull's area advise defendants to just go ahead and represent themselves.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 AM

And in this thread.
Quote:
You know, this gets confusing. In some threads we are not supposed to treat women any differently at all because that is just stereotyping and archaic. Yet in some cases we are to treat women as if they are in 1588 Elizabethan England because they are delicate flowers that cannot conform to the scary people that they see in society and likely need protection from their husbands. Which is it?
Such a clever argument! Is this guy an actual attorney? Don't the opposing lawyers laugh whenever he shows up?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
And in this thread. Such a clever argument! Is this guy an actual attorney?
Not only is he an actual attorney, he's one of very few who can boast an impressive 100% conviction rate!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Not only is he an actual attorney, he's one of very few who can boast an impressive 100% conviction rate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Virginia DA
I recommend him highly!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

You know what they call the guy who finishes last in his law school class? A lawyer.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:17 AM

I’m on my phone so I can’t link it, but damn, he’s got a creepy post in the thread I linked about giving candy to little girls and patting their heads.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM

"but why can't we post rape jokes, there's no explicit rule against it!"
Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
This fucker needs to stop lying. He's not a lawyer - or if he is, he's obviously full of shit. I really wish we could have some moderator intervention here - "Hey, listen, we know you claim to be a lawyer, so that means either many of your posts here (and definitely the post in that thread) are in blatant bad faith and you know you're lying about them, or you're lying about being a lawyer. One or the other has to fucking stop."
As I have stated previously, he is really a lawyer. I know this because he has doxxed himself on this site. Interestingly his practice's website is down right now. I wonder if his complete inability to construct a logical argument has impacted business negatively.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Iím on my phone so I canít link it, but damn, heís got a creepy post in the thread I linked about giving candy to little girls and patting their heads.
Back in the day. When no one worried about men giving lollipops to little girls.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:09 PM

West Virginia's dumbest lawyer wants to know, "Where do we draw the line?" Literally the same question he asks in every fucking thread.

Quote:
If one wants to say that being against gay marriage and trans "rights" is bigoted, then one needs to define "bigoted." When does opposition to someone turn into bigotry? I am against littering. When does that turn into bigotry against a class of people known as Litterers?
Or...

Quote:
The problem with "don't be a jerk" is that one's jerkishness has gone far beyond a universal recognition of being a jerk and into a wholly subjective and subconsciously politically based determination of what being a jerk consists of. It really has come to mean nothing more than "upsets a moderator at this time."
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM

He was totally dominating the Berkeley thread with his "this serves no purpose except for this purpose" argument.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
He was totally dominating the Berkeley thread with his "this serves no purpose except for this purpose" argument.
Notice he completely ignored my question in that. I'm too lazy to start a new thread just to get an answer, however.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM

West Virginia's Dumbest Lawyer has now decided to pose the question (paraphrasing): how is Russian influence on our elections any worse than someone from Illinois working on a campaign in Wisconsin?

He's got us there. They're exactly the same thing.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Yep. If they "won", everyone in Wisconsin would have to stop supporting the Packers.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
West Virginia's dumbest lawyer wants to know, "Where do we draw the line?" Literally the same question he asks in every fucking thread.

Quote:
If one wants to say that being against gay marriage and trans "rights" is bigoted, then one needs to define "bigoted." When does opposition to someone turn into bigotry? I am against littering. When does that turn into bigotry against a class of people known as Litterers?
Iíve not been too interested in participating in that thread, but Iím glad that you linked that question.

Iíd say it turns into bigotry when itís OPPOSITION to SOMEONE instead of opposition to SOMETHING.

Itís like Mr. Pratchett articulated, it starts with treating people as things.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

The USA has laws prohibiting participation in American elections by foreign countries. If Wisconsin has laws prohibiting participation in Wisconsin by out-of-state actors, the analogy might be supportable.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:49 PM

This dumb motherfucker is at it again.

Quote:
A scary sounding term like "interfering in the election" implies far more than a few stupid memes.
What is his deal with minimizing 2016 election interference as memes?

In a different thread he's also pushing the Russian propaganda that Hunter Biden was rewarded by Burisma as thanks for Joe Biden getting the prosecutor fired.

Quote:
You have Hunter Biden with no experience, no ties to Ukraine, no education, or any knowledge at all about oil and gas getting a lucrative position. This just so happened after Joe Biden demanded that a prosecutor be fired or else he would withhold $1 Billion in aid.
The problem here is that dumbass got the sequence of events backwards.

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 12-30-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:08 AM

Attempting to diminish the significance of Trump's actions by falsely claiming that both sides withhold aid is a slight step up the maturity scale from the "he made me do it" defense currently the rage with Republicans.