Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
To go further, Greedo now says, "MACLUNKEY" before he shoots.

I'm not kidding.
According to this article on CBR: https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-what-g...nsible-for-it/

"maclunkey" is a Huttese term invented by George Lucas which means "This will be the end of you." It was previously used by Podracer pilot Sebulba in The Phantom Menace.

It's still lame.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I hate that the app isn't available on older iOSes. I mostly use my iPad for ebooks and Netflix and the Comedy Central app, all of which work with legacy apps so I have no real need to upgrade. I can use my phone and Chromecast it to my tv, but it's gonna be annoying for the kid using iPad. It also seems that it can't be played on old iOSes' browsers, but I could be wrong about that and it's just a regular old connection problem due to high traffic. I'm more mad at apple for making things obsolete faster than they need to but I am a little miffed Disney didn't do more to make it backwards compatible. But then again, maybe Apple doesn't let new apps do that.
Your iPad received about 5 years of support from Apple, depending on the specific model. I doubt you could have found a better supported tablet.

Your iPad is at least 7 years old; Disney+ supports iPads up to 6 years old.

I get that you're mad, but I think it's hard to fault Disney or Apple.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:12 AM

Can't figure out how to get subtitles. At one point, Dutch subtitles came on spontaneously, then stopped when I paused and restarted.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I hate that the app isn't available on older iOSes. I mostly use my iPad for ebooks and Netflix and the Comedy Central app, all of which work with legacy apps so I have no real need to upgrade. I can use my phone and Chromecast it to my tv, but it's gonna be annoying for the kid using iPad. It also seems that it can't be played on old iOSes' browsers, but I could be wrong about that and it's just a regular old connection problem due to high traffic. I'm more mad at apple for making things obsolete faster than they need to but I am a little miffed Disney didn't do more to make it backwards compatible. But then again, maybe Apple doesn't let new apps do that.
I understand older OS's not getting it.

Windows 10 has no app, which means no downloading a show to my laptop. Netflix has an app and I use it when I am going somewhere and don't want to use wifi to stream a show/movies.

A terrible decision.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Well, looks like Disney and Samsung made it happen. I just checked on a whim last night and it was available. I got the whole bundle with Hulu and ESPN. My 15-year-old is freaking about all the anime available on Hulu.

We watched a lot of the Disney shorts last night. Some lag but not a lot.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:42 AM

I've been checking my Samsung TV, but Disney+ has not shown up so far. My TV may be too old.

Probably the easiest thing for me to do is just get a Roku box. They don't seem to be that expensive.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 AM

My experience has been less than optimal. At work I managed to get logged in yesterday but browsing didn't work. I found searching would work and watched a little of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, and the old 1930s cartoon where Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are in the camper trailer driving down the road. Overall the UI was much like Netflix, but thankfully autoplay next episode and autoplay during browsing were both things you could turn off.

At home, different story. Roku 2, Roku Express, and Vizio Roku TV all give error code 31 and tell me to turn on Location Services. No such thing on a Roku. PC Firefox browser won't log in. Clicking on Log In does nothing. Tried Chrome as well.

They will get it all working, I'm just surprised that 24+ hours later there are still so many problems.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I've been checking my Samsung TV, but Disney+ has not shown up so far. My TV may be too old.

Probably the easiest thing for me to do is just get a Roku box. They don't seem to be that expensive.
Samsung & LG say TVs produced since 2016 should get the Disney+ app. I have 2 LG TVs, the one I bought in Nov 2015 doesn't have it, the one I bought in 2017 does. Unfortunately the one that has it is the small one in the basement, so I'm looking at Roku or Firestick as well.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Things got better on the website, browsing and playing finally working smoothly as of an hour or so ago.

Oh, and Firestick vs. Roku, I would pick Roku. Amazon had a feud with Google before and YouTube wasn't available on Firestick for a long time. Could happen again.

Last edited by control-z; 11-13-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

What originals are coming in the next few months? I know they have some long term shows like Obi-Wan and a bunch of Marvel shows, but other than the Mandalorian, what does Disney+ have coming soon?

Their original lineup is quite sparse right now and I'm wondering if there is a list of things coming in the next 6 months.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
What originals are coming in the next few months? I know they have some long term shows like Obi-Wan and a bunch of Marvel shows, but other than the Mandalorian, what does Disney+ have coming soon?

Their original lineup is quite sparse right now and I'm wondering if there is a list of things coming in the next 6 months.
List of original programs distributed by Disney+
List of original films distributed by Disney+

Looks like not too much over the next 6 months. About four scripted series and two films. Maybe more, maybe less.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:51 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

So far itís certainly worth the price (free). Iíve watched The Mandolorian and Free Solo. My 20 year old daughter wonít get off of it and is currently reliving her entire childhood.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Is it true that they're showing all the Simpsons zoomed in, rather than in 4:3? Because I'm tempted to try it out but not if I'll be missing a third of the screen -- the Simpsons packs the screen with visual jokes (or, they used to, anyway).
I don't know why the delay, but it will be fixed in early 2020.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
List of original programs distributed by Disney+
List of original films distributed by Disney+

Looks like not too much over the next 6 months. About four scripted series and two films. Maybe more, maybe less.
I've read (paywall warning) that Disney is producing original family films for the streaming service, like Togo, starring Willem Dafoe and costing $40 million. That article says that it costs so much to market movies (and people aren't buying movies on VHS or DVD any longer) when they're released theatrically that Disney has to concentrate its efforts on the blockbusters.

I just wonder about the economics of it. Can they justify this kind of expense? On the other hand, they had 10 million subscribers almost immediately, and perhaps half of them will watch any particular family film. Netflix produces $100 million movies like The Irishman and I think they have over 100 million subscribers worldwide.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 AM

I joined this weekend. No hassles and watched and enjoyed The Mandalorian. Yesterday I was exploring what else they have and saw Adventures in Babysitting. I thought oh good my wife might like that too since she never saw it. Click to find a trailer and text saying "Coming in 2021". Seriously, F U Disney. Don't put a movie on your service you don't actually have and won't for two years.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I've read (paywall warning) that Disney is producing original family films for the streaming service, like Togo, starring Willem Dafoe and costing $40 million. That article says that it costs so much to market movies (and people aren't buying movies on VHS or DVD any longer) when they're released theatrically that Disney has to concentrate its efforts on the blockbusters.

I just wonder about the economics of it. Can they justify this kind of expense? On the other hand, they had 10 million subscribers almost immediately, and perhaps half of them will watch any particular family film. Netflix produces $100 million movies like The Irishman and I think they have over 100 million subscribers worldwide.
Disney's got the licensing machine, too, remember. Netflix may not be able to leverage all of its original content but you can count on Disney to greenlight original content with a budget line about ancillary sales of t-shirts, bobbleheads and whatever.

In short, they can afford it.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Still some minor glitches. A few times the picture froze. I backed up a few seconds and it cleared up. Twice I had no sound and had to log out and log back in. Closed captioning on the Mandalorian was a couple of seconds ahead of the dialogue.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I joined this weekend. No hassles and watched and enjoyed The Mandalorian. Yesterday I was exploring what else they have and saw Adventures in Babysitting. I thought oh good my wife might like that too since she never saw it. Click to find a trailer and text saying "Coming in 2021". Seriously, F U Disney. Don't put a movie on your service you don't actually have and won't for two years.
Are you sure that it isn't the crappy remake anyway?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Are you sure that it isn't the crappy remake anyway?
No definitely the original. It had the VHS cover image and a trailer.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 PM

It's started up here in Aus, and I'm a bit agog at the variety of choices.

Oh, and a PSA: I've found that while the website doesn't run the video smoothly in any Chromium based browser I've tried (Google Chrome, Edge Chromium beta, Brave), it runs quite nicely in Microsoft Edge. Go figure.
XBox app runs nicely as well.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
XBox app runs nicely as well.
I've had an issue with the PS4 app, where the video will freeze while the audio continues, then after a couple seconds everything jumps back to just before it glitched, then plays normally. A little annoying, but not terrible for a newly released online service.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm enjoying the content on Disney+ and haven't seen any glitches. My only problem so far is that the app doesn't remember what I've watched. There's no watch history of any kind that I've been able to locate. Makes it annoying when working through a series since I have to manually locate the season/episode I left off at.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-19-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:28 PM

I've only used it in Chrome so far on Win 10. Plays great from day 1.

I understand next month Chromecast equipped Vizio TVs will get Disney+.

An app for other Vizios is further off so I'm screwed for a while. Right now I have a PC hooked up to my larger Vizio & stereo so that is my primary D+ viewing. Though I watch some on my PC which is dual screened.

Last edited by What Exit?; 11-19-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I'm enjoying the content on Disney+ and haven't seen any glitches. My only problem so far is that the app doesn't remember what I've watched. There's no watch history of any kind that I've been able to locate. Makes it annoying when working through a series since I have to manually locate the season/episode I left off at.
They need the following features:

- A continue watching section of things I am part way through

- A resume option for when you go to a movie you were partway through. Oh, it resumes, but it doesn't indicate how far you were or that it even remembered you.

- Some kind of "like" or star system for me to tell it what I like
Old 11-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

My 1 year old LG smart tv plays it just fine, though is there was way on the TV screen to go and set CC permanently on? Or on the website on my computer to set my account choices to CC permanently on?
Old 11-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
My 1 year old LG smart tv plays it just fine, though is there was way on the TV screen to go and set CC permanently on? Or on the website on my computer to set my account choices to CC permanently on?
I set subtitles on with the first thing I watched, and everything since has been subtitled from the get-go, on all of the media players I've used. (web browser, XBox, and Android tablet).

Last edited by galen ubal; 11-20-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:12 AM

do they have all the classic shorts ? or at least mousterpiece theatre (plimpton is a hoot although some of his analysis is spot on )

Thats why i quit watching the disney channel years ago .... once it went free they decided to be a nick clone and quit showing the classic shorts and older movie although grandma wouldnt of minded not seeing the black hole and tron and other 70s classics 30 million times in a row ......
Old 11-24-2019, 05:16 PM

I just ordered a Disney+ Firestick from Amazon for only $19.99. Coming by Prime so I'll hopefully report on the setup and playback Wednesday. $19.99 is a really amazing price as it works for
Quote:
Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV, HBO, and more. Stream for free with Pluto, IMDB TV, and more.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
do they have all the classic shorts ? or at least mousterpiece theatre (plimpton is a hoot although some of his analysis is spot on )
Mouseterpiece Theater is not on there. I have no idea why not, but it isn't. I'm not sure about the shorts, but Steamboat Willie came up as definitely on there. What other shorts you looking for?

No Donald Duck Presents, either.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 11-24-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I just ordered a Disney+ Firestick from Amazon for only $19.99. Coming by Prime so I'll hopefully report on the setup and playback Wednesday. $19.99 is a really amazing price as it works for
We watch it on a Firestick and we haven't had a problem. Did you get a special Disney+ branded one?

I agree that they need a continue watching option. It's easy to pick up where we left off on The Mandalorian because it's everywhere, but it's more annoying when I'm watching the old X-Men series and I have to search for it or go to the Marvel section every. single. time.

I'm sure people have asked for it, so I don't expect we have to wait for too long for it.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post

I'm sure people have asked for it, so I don't expect we have to wait for too long for it.
They have added a "resume" option that shows your percent watched on a time-bar below it. However, it is not working perfectly. It sometimes goes back a few minutes before you stopped. However, it did work today when I watched part of something offline(downloaded) and came back online using a different device.

It needs a "things you were in the middle of" section like every other service has.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
They have added a "resume" option that shows your percent watched on a time-bar below it. However, it is not working perfectly. It sometimes goes back a few minutes before you stopped. However, it did work today when I watched part of something offline(downloaded) and came back online using a different device.

It needs a "things you were in the middle of" section like every other service has.
It took them all of, what, a week before they said they'd change The Simpsons? And if they added that option already I can't imagine a "Resume what you were watching" section is too far behind
Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It took them all of, what, a week before they said they'd change The Simpsons? And if they added that option already I can't imagine a "Resume what you were watching" section is too far behind
Yes, I think the app in 6 months will be a lot different. I am just happy the streaming is working smoothly now. It had a rough first day, but is smooth as any other service for me now.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 PM

I started to have a few lock ups and freezes this weekend but it happens once in a while with other apps too. We watched Avatar which I haven't seen in maybe mine years. It looked amazing and was better than I remembered.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:01 AM

Anyone know who has the rights to the original Muppet Show? I had hopes Disney+ would be streaming those.

Quote:
We watch it on a Firestick and we haven't had a problem. Did you get a special Disney+ branded one?
Just a sale one that says it supports Disney+.

I'm hoping the Firestick will stream Amazon Prime a lot better than an older Vizio also. If Netflix really drops support for older Vizio TVs, we'll be set as a bonus. Though I might drop Netflix soon. I feel like it might be better to just do Netflix for 2 months each year instead of annually.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I signed up last Tuesday evening, watched two episodes of The Simpsons S1 and went to bed. The next day it didn't work, and hasn't worked since.

I have three Rokus: a TCL Roku TV, a Roku stick, and a Roku 2 (I think). The 2 is not supported so I don't have any issue there. The TV is plugged into our router (280 Mps download speed) and the stick is on wifi. We also have a Google Pixel 2, an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 6s. We cannot even log into Disney+ on the desktop computer also plugged into the router - clicking "log in" does nothing.

On all the video devices, we either get the Disney+ logo for a few seconds then error message 83 (Rokus); or just a screen telling us the connection failed (phones). The only exception: the iPhone 8 works if I am using my AT&T data plan, but not on wifi.

I spent quite literally hours over during the week waiting to talk to tech support. First they blamed our connection and ISP, which it's not - our speeds are high and all other streaming channels work fine. I'm pretty sure that for some reason they are blocking my IP address (explaining why I can't even get a login screen), but I have to wait 3-5 days for their escalated tech support to respond to my ticket. So that sucks.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post

I spent quite literally hours over during the week waiting to talk to tech support. First they blamed our connection and ISP, which it's not - our speeds are high and all other streaming channels work fine. I'm pretty sure that for some reason they are blocking my IP address (explaining why I can't even get a login screen), but I have to wait 3-5 days for their escalated tech support to respond to my ticket. So that sucks.
You've tried on a browser? Is it possible to get a new IP address assigned?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Anyone know who has the rights to the original Muppet Show? I had hopes Disney+ would be streaming those.
Disney owns the Muppets television library. I assume that includes the original show. I don't think it's streaming on any service yet and only the first 3 seasons are on DVD which apparently don't include a lot of the musical numbers, so I wonder if the reason it isn't on Disney+ is because they haven't acquired all the music rights yet.

Music rights licensing is just a bag of hurt.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You've tried on a browser? Is it possible to get a new IP address assigned?

Several different browsers on two different computers. I don’t know if I can change my IP or how ( wouldn’t the two computers have different addresses anyway? I didn’t think of that flaw in my reasoning.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Several different browsers on two different computers. I donít know if I can change my IP or how ( wouldnít the two computers have different addresses anyway? I didnít think of that flaw in my reasoning.)
As far as I understand it, no, an IP address only identifies a network, not a device. Every device on your wifi will have the external IP address of your network.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:07 PM

The cheapy Firestick was pretty easy to hook up. Plug into an available HDMI port, comes with a small dongle in case the unit doesn't fit or two HDMI ports are too close. A 3' micro USB power cord and AC to SUB adapter.

Enter WiFi, start setting up Streamers. Amazon works great on it, worked fairly poorly on the Vizio. Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, Internet, IMDB were all very simple. Pluto was very easy and works really well, it barely worked at all on the Vizio app.

All that took about 20 minutes and part of it was figuring out what the correct password was for the Netflix.

I've been re-watching a lot of Marvel movies and watched Captain Marvel & Endgame for the first time recently. I think Captain America might be my favorite of all of them. It has a complete and stand alone story that most of them are kind of missing. It feel more like Raiders of the Lost Ark than a most of the Super hero movies do.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

And just like that:

They've added the "continue watching" option they should have had the entire time.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
And just like that:

They've added the "continue watching" option they should have had the entire time.
I prefer to think, man they got that added in quick. How responsive unlike Prime & Netflix.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:09 PM

Disney+ has added a Simpsons Collection Page, which includes the series and the movie at the top. The Christmas, Sideshow Bob, Emmy-Nominated, Rock 'n Roll Stars, Homer's New Job, The Simpsons Abroad, Flashbacks and Futures, The Simpsons Predicts the Future, Sports, and Treehouse of Horror episodes all have their own sections.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:04 AM

The new Aladdin is coming to Disney+ on January 8, and the new Lion King on January 28.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

The Wonderful world of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration is a very nice Xmas/Holiday special for your kids and family. They aired crap(ha) like this when I was a kid, but it was filled with TONS of commercials back then.

Since this one is on Disney+ only(?), it has no commercials...just a few plugs for Disney+ shows and a few other Disney movies. A bit lame, but a lot of content and no actual commercial breaks.

My kids eat up. Singing, fun stuff. Lights. Very nice, actually.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 12-23-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 AM

It was on my Day One list for Disney+ watching but I just now got around to watching it: The Journey of Natty Gann, starring Meredith Salenger and a young John Cusack. Natty is a teenager living in Chicago during the Great Depression whose father gets work in Washington State. He leaves her with a hotel owner, intending to send for her, but the hotel owner reports her as an abandoned child and she has to go on the run, mostly train-jumping, to get all the way to Washington and find her father. An excellent movie, but it has scenes of violence, including animal violence and attempted (but failed) sexual assault, that are disturbing, but thankfully brief. 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 12-28-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
The new Aladdin is coming to Disney+ on January 8, and the new Lion King on January 28.
Any word on Toy Story 4?
Old 12-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Any word on Toy Story 4?
Not officially, but it's been speculated that it will occur in March. Probably no later than November, because Disney has said it'll be on the service within the first year of launch.

For what it's worth, it hasn't appeared as a preview on the service yet.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Not officially, but it's been speculated that it will occur in March. Probably no later than November, because Disney has said it'll be on the service within the first year of launch.

For what it's worth, it hasn't appeared as a preview on the service yet.
Aw boo.

For not being a huge fan of the Toy Story series, I really really liked that one.