Old 06-15-2019, 10:59 AM
SDSAB

Westworld S3 (show spoilers as it airs)

The S3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSUQ7mZfWk. To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "Dolores!"

Our S1 discussion thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=806170
And S2: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=852039

Please, no unboxed spoilers until each new episode airs. After that, peek at your own risk.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Umm, isn't the show slated to return in 2020?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM

Not even early 2020
Old 06-15-2019, 12:08 PM

I couldn't find an exact date.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Quick, somebody start the season 4 thread!
Old 06-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I have hopes..... but after Season 2......
Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Jesse Pinkman is an exciting addition.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Jesse Pinkman is an exciting addition.
I'm guardedly optimistic. Guardedly.

But I did enjoy the two previous seasons, so there's reason for me to less skeptical than usual.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

The new season 3 trailer is up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CYajemh6E
Old 07-20-2019, 04:25 PM

So there is a World War II World.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

That seems weird to me. Are there people on this world who like the idea of cosplaying Allies and Nazis? We've seen Raj World as well, and that's also weird, but perhaps long enough ago that it's not as weird?
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM

When exactly is Westworld set? WWII may be further in the past for them than the Raj is for us.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
That seems weird to me. Are there people on this world who like the idea of cosplaying Allies and Nazis? We've seen Raj World as well, and that's also weird, but perhaps long enough ago that it's not as weird?
Oh yeah, there's a whole bunch of WW2 recreationists.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Oh yeah, there's a whole bunch of WW2 recreationists.
I'm surprised there's not a civil war world....
Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I'm surprised there's not a civil war world....
Coming soon.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Coming soon.

There appears to be only two worlds- robot fuck world and extreme violence world.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
The new season 3 trailer is up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CYajemh6E
Thanks! I like that even better than the first S3 trailer. The WWII angle is intriguing.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
There appears to be only two worlds- robot fuck world and extreme violence world.
That is a single world.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:26 PM

By the time Westworld comes back, I will have stopped caring about it for 2 years.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 PM

I stopped caring about it some time during the total mess that was season 2. (I'll still be watching 3, though. Sucker.)
Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Having played Red Dead Redemption 2, I've realized that Westworld is backwards. All of the fun in the video game is that I am playing as somebody else. I am extremely good looking. I can jump from a horse onto a moving train. I can win fist fights. I don't get hurt when I jump off a balcony to the ground below. And yes, I can get shot and recover in record time.

If something like West World actually came along I wouldn't want to play as my clumsy and non athletic self. I'd rather be inside a robots body like in Avatar. And then, the skies the limit. My vacation could be a perfect mix of adventure, excitement, romance and pleasure. Otherwise I couldn't truly be anybody I wanted to be unless I take me out of the equation.

That said, I do actually like Westworld. Personally I think it's the sequel to Battlestar Galactica and the Hosts are our worlds version of Cylons. "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again". The hosts will rise against their masters. Dolores has a plan.

Last edited by Frazzled; 07-23-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
Having played Red Dead Redemption 2, I've realized that Westworld is backwards. All of the fun in the video game is that I am playing as somebody else. I am extremely good looking. I can jump from a horse onto a moving train. I can win fist fights. I don't get hurt when I jump off a balcony to the ground below. And yes, I can get shot and recover in record time.

If something like West World actually came along I wouldn't want to play as my clumsy and non athletic self. I'd rather be inside a robots body like in Avatar. And then, the skies the limit. My vacation could be a perfect mix of adventure, excitement, romance and pleasure. Otherwise I couldn't truly be anybody I wanted to be unless I take me out of the equation.
I'm sure at this point in the future they already have hyper-realistic VR games where you could be anyone. WestWorld is for the people where that's not real enough.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Season 1 was a bunch of interesting world-building combined with a plot that didn't make much sense. Season 2 had less of the world-building and more of the spaghetti plot. I'm skeptical that Season 3 will be an improvement, but I might give it a try.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
....Dolores has a plan.
Killing everybody is not a plan. In fact it's the antithesis of a plan.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Season 1 was a bunch of interesting world-building combined with a plot that didn't make much sense.
The maze as the MacGuffin just fizzled out with no really good explanation of the importance of it.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Killing everybody is not a plan. In fact it's the antithesis of a plan.
Still takes planning, though. Gotcha ya!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
The maze as the MacGuffin just fizzled out with no really good explanation of the importance of it.
The Maze had to do with Arnold and Ford's ensuring that sooner or later the robots would become self-aware and rebel. That's obviously an important plot element, even if many of the details aren't.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:33 PM
SDSAB

Here's a third trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

S3 premieres tonight. See you on the other side....
Old 03-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

The New York Times has a recap of the second season (paywall warning), which might help you understand where we are as the third season starts. A second article (also paywall warning) talks about what's going on in the third season. It's not the most straightforward of television shows, so reviews and recaps might help.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 AM
SDSAB

I watched the season premiere and liked it, all in all.

So three months have passed since the end of S2. Dolores is in LA, kicking ass and plotting the destruction of... Delos? Humanity itself? RoboCharlotte is interim CEO of Delos (with the key backing of some unrevealed investor - William, maybe? - represented by a hologram at the boardroom table) in San Francisco. Bernard is working at a meat-growing factory (but wasn't able to stay there after being recognized as an Interpol fugitive); not sure where exactly he was. And Maeve has woken up in WWIIworld.

Before most scenes we see a B&W graphic of bubbles and disturbances around the globe - could this be a Rehoboam threat-analysis program? Here's more on the ancient king and son of Solomon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehoboam

I noticed that London, in one of the graphics, was followed by the letters "UREW," not "UK." Maybe that stands for "United Republic of England and Wales" - the monarchy is no more, and Scotland and Ireland are now completely independent?

Cal, the troubled Army vet supplementing his income with a petty-crime app, says he wants to connect with someone "real"... just in time to see and come to the aid of a wounded Dolores. Oh, the irony! We saw a brief flashback to Cal and his pal in Army uniform, but in the mission or job during which his buddy (whose cyberpresence later counseled Cal, before he rejected it) was shot and killed, they were in civilian garb. Was it mercenary, security or criminal work, or something else?

Nice action sequence with Dolores overcoming her captors in the SUV. Don't mess with Dolores (although she certainly could have made better use of cover during the shootout in the park). Now she has a robot ally as the new Rehoboam security guy, which presumably accounts for one of the black memory cores roboCharlotte smuggled off Westworld island.

I liked the costume of Cal's bigger partner-in-crime, whose jacket lit up with words describing his current mood ("Angry," "Bored," "Amused," etc.). Also Dolores's dress in London, which completely changed at the touch of a button. Cool futuristic touches.

I freeze-framed the news briefs that several characters were reading online. One referred to "Chinese authorities" (as we saw at the end of S2) and said that Westworld was at a "remote location" but didn't say where, specifically. The map which Bernard showed to the fisherman at the end depicted the China Sea, though. The sign on the wharf behind them mentioned Palawan Island, which is in the western Philippines, along the South China Sea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palawan_(island)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:47 AM

As a Filipino, I recognized right away that Bernard is in the Philippines. However the locals speak Chinese. We truly are going to become a province of China.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:02 PM

I got a notification linking to this thread? Sure, I saw it, and I always have a soft spot for a bit of (good) cyberpunk. Thought the petty crime app was cute; if you think about it, there must be a significant number of people getting SMS instructing them to do stuff like enter a certain back alley and grab a duffel bag from the back of an unlocked delivery van, then go and take a particular subway car and leave it under the seat. All without knowing why or what for, all with an omniscient AI overseeing everything.

I never thought the show was that confusing if one paid attention, though they do employ tricks like jumping back and forth in time. BTW, the person who programmed the hosts to go rogue and proceed with "mainland infiltration" and so forth, was that all Anthony Hopkins, or was the AI architect involved somehow?
Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
So three months have passed since the end of S2. Dolores is in LA, kicking ass and plotting the destruction of... Delos? Humanity itself? RoboCharlotte is interim CEO of Delos (with the key backing of some unrevealed investor - William, maybe? - represented by a hologram at the boardroom table) in San Francisco. Bernard is working at a meat-growing factory (but wasn't able to stay there after being recognized as an Interpol fugitive); not sure where exactly he was. And Maeve has woken up in WWIIworld.
Given past evidence, I would not jump to the conclusion that all or even any of those storylines are unfolding three months after the events of season 2. The only thing that's made clear is that it as been 92 (?) days since Bernard last saw Dolores. Which, in and of itself, had to have happened only after Dolores had time to fabricate a new Dolores body and take her brainballthingy out of Charlotte's head. Since one of Charlotte's objectives at the board meeting is to start fabricating bodies again, I took that as a hint that that storyline is happening earlier than the others.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 03-16-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Well that was fun, right? My daughter and I enjoyed it. But we've enjoyed every episode since S2E1.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:22 PM

Are they paid by the minute for this show? Man do they know how to make a story drag!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Given past evidence, I would not jump to the conclusion that all or even any of those storylines are unfolding three months after the events of season 2. The only thing that's made clear is that it as been 92 (?) days since Bernard last saw Dolores. Which, in and of itself, had to have happened only after Dolores had time to fabricate a new Dolores body and take her brainballthingy out of Charlotte's head. Since one of Charlotte's objectives at the board meeting is to start fabricating bodies again, I took that as a hint that that storyline is happening earlier than the others.
One of the board members says it's been three months since the massacre in Westworld.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Are they paid by the minute for this show? Man do they know how to make a story drag!
Style over substance.

I thought it was cool that the show transitioned from the Westworld park into a Blade Runner-like futuristic world outside it. I thought it was not so cool that the story makes no sense anymore at all, and I stopped caring about the characters a very long time ago.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 AM

They just made up a completely new story, as they would again in case the show were to go on to further seasons. No idea yet whether it's a good story, but I appreciate the work that went into shots of Singapore and elsewhere.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
One of the board members says it's been three months since the massacre in Westworld.
Doesn't change what I said, though. The board meeting could be 3 months since S2 finale, but could still be Dolores!Charlotte if she hasn't made a new Dolores body yet. Then Bernard sees new Dolores, then it's been 92 days before we see Bernard.

All hypothetical, I'm just saying the show has trained us to expect multiple timelines at once.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 03-17-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 AM

I'm just wondering where Yennifer fits in the timeline.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Doesn't change what I said, though. The board meeting could be 3 months since S2 finale, but could still be Dolores!Charlotte if she hasn't made a new Dolores body yet. Then Bernard sees new Dolores, then it's been 92 days before we see Bernard.

All hypothetical, I'm just saying the show has trained us to expect multiple timelines at once.
So far, they've seem to be making an effort to show us that they're not messing with the timelines this season, and you know what? I'm going to take their word for it, at least for now. I'm sure they'll pull the rug out from under us at some point, I just don't think it's going to involve chronology again.

So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the chic cyberpunk vibe.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One referred to "Chinese authorities" (as we saw at the end of S2) and said that Westworld was at a "remote location" but didn't say where, specifically. The map which Bernard showed to the fisherman at the end depicted the China Sea, though. The sign on the wharf behind them mentioned Palawan Island, which is in the western Philippines, along the South China Sea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palawan_(island)
Someone speculated I think in the big season 2 thread that Hainan might be the site of Westworld, which would make a lot of sense in geographic terms( its pretty big - large enough to accommodate multiple immersive 'worlds' ). Though if that were the case you'd have to somehow account for what happened to the 9 million Chinese that used to live there.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-18-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:40 AM

I enjoyed the season premiere. I remain pretty much on Team Robot, I'm afraid.

It was weird seeing Phoebe Tonkin in what looks to be a throwaway bit part. I kept expecting there to be more there.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I enjoyed the season premiere. I remain pretty much on Team Robot, I'm afraid.
I think we're supposed to be.

To me, the key scene was the very first one - in the previous season, Dolores was killing humans left and right, but here they made a point of showing her not killing the rich asshole's wife, only knocking her out for the duration. I think that was supposed to indicate that the writers were pulling back a bit from her character's murderous fanaticism and positioning her as more of a heroic character.

Or maybe they're just messing with us.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

One question; Caleb, the character played by Aaron Paul, seems to have a shitty job running fiber optic cable up the sides of new buildings. He works with a robot that does a lot of the dangerous work of hanging off the side of the building. Is Caleb needed at all or can the robot do all of the work? And why is the robot so primitive relative to the Delos robots from the Westworld resort? Certainly a robot like those could do his job. I wonder if the show is going to explore the idea that many regular jobs can be replaced by robots. That was part of the story in Humans, a Channel 4/AMC series that overlapped with Westworld for a while.

OK, perhaps that's more than one question.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Robot Man

Certainly, a robot could do his entire job. But the setting is not so far in the future that robots, especially Westworld-grade replicants, are not horribly expensive, while disposable humans for shitty jobs can literally be picked and chosen for free off the streets of L.A.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I think we're supposed to be.

To me, the key scene was the very first one - in the previous season, Dolores was killing humans left and right, but here they made a point of showing her not killing the rich asshole's wife, only knocking her out for the duration.
She also wasn't going to kill the rich asshole, he basically committed suicide.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
She also wasn't going to kill the rich asshole, he basically committed suicide.
Did he? She knew he had a temper, she knew he liked to hurt women - and she (apparently) turned her back on him. I wouldn't be surprised if she had set the whole thing up. But then, it was still his choice.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Did he? She knew he had a temper, she knew he liked to hurt women - and she (apparently) turned her back on him. I wouldn't be surprised if she had set the whole thing up. But then, it was still his choice.
My own take as well - she set him up and deliberately exposed herself, figuring he'd explode in rage and she's end up not having to keep what was ultimately an empty promise. He took the bait. So he functionally committed suicide, but she was pretty damn certain he would.

Whether she would have taken a real chance chance on letting him live after robbing him blind and confessing her origin is an open question.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-19-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
.... And Maeve has woken up in WWIIworld.

Nice action sequence with Dolores overcoming her captors in the SUV. Don't mess with Dolores (although she certainly could have made better use of cover during the shootout in the park). Now she has a robot ally as the new Rehoboam security guy, which presumably accounts for one of the black memory cores roboCharlotte smuggled off Westworld island.
I didnt see that- after the credits or something?

Yeah, but now she's magical. 1st- she is either 100% human biology or not. If not human, it would be easy-peasy to spot. If human, she shouldnt be that strong and shrug off poisons or drugs. One or the other, stick with it. Bad writing otherwise.

And her gun had unlimited ammo, should have been out after a single burst.

I mean, if they are gonna make her magic, why even bother?

And why didnt that guy in the cool beach house just take those glasses off?