Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I believe that's Nia. She hasn't used her powers much lately.
I was being a bit sarcastic about the relative absence of Nia in the last few episodes - glad to see she's back in the most recent episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The Lex Luthor/Supergirl D.E.O. commercial: https://youtu.be/shwswtzyf3w

I thought the preceding Batwoman episode was a mindfuck due to its last scene. This Supergirl episode was even more of a mindfuck. Lex Luthor is a "good" guy in charge of the D.E.O., and Supergirl is working for him. Lena somehow still has her pre-Crisis memories despite not being restored by J'onn. Multiple Brainiac-5 doppelgangers?! More doppelgangers? How many of them are running around, anyway, and how did they survive the rebirth of the universe? Mrs. Wheeler and Leviathan are still around. Obsidian is still doing that VR thing. Everyone is working against everyone else. How many conspiracies are we going to have to keep track of?
Brainy managed to go evil-ish last season even with his personality inhibitors (a fact he should have mentioned). Lex and Lena and Kara/Brainy/etc and Mrs. Luthor all working with/against each other could be a lot of fun if done well.

Last edited by Andy L; 01-21-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 AM

I forgot to mention that Brainy now has comic-accurate green skin coloring. Also, one of the Brainiacs was wearing comics-accurate purple overalls with yellow belt and boots. Pretty good episode for Jesse Rath to chew up the scenery. And the female Brainy was portrayed by Jesse's sister Meaghan Rath.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Brainy managed to go evil-ish last season even with his personality inhibitors (a fact he should have mentioned).
I'd be willing to give great odds that the idea of personality inhibitors wasn't considered until they were writing this episode.

Mrs. D_Odds has given up on this show. I'm so happy to have the TV shows I would have wanted to watch 40 years ago finally being made that I'm staying, especially if the shows are going to cross over more. I continue to watch for that reason alone. But this show...this show might be the first network superhero show I drop. I don't understand why it is so hard to make a Supergirl/Superman show.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I was being a bit sarcastic about the relative absence of Nia in the last few episodes - glad to see she's back in the most recent episode.
Nia was suited up and fighting those wraith-thingies with the other heroes in the last Crisis episode (which was technically a Legends of Tomorrow ep) but, yeah, she hasn't had much to do lately.

Quote:
And the female Brainy was portrayed by Jesse's sister Meaghan Rath.
I really liked Meaghan Rath in the Syfy remake of the Being Human series (in which Jesse played her character's brother in a few episodes), so I was happy to see her here. I wish she had been given more to do, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I don't understand why it is so hard to make a Supergirl/Superman show.
I am getting frustrated with this show, too. I really liked the first couple of seasons, but lately it's been much more 'miss' than 'hit' for me.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but CW will be producing a Superman series with Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch, who have been playing Kal-El/Clark and Lois on Supergirl. Fingers crossed that it will be good.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but CW will be producing a Superman series with Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch, who have been playing Kal-El/Clark and Lois on Supergirl. Fingers crossed that it will be good.
Using Tulloch as Lois has me fearing the worst. Another Lois and Clark is the 2nd nail in the coffin. Not a lot more will be needed to make this a hard pass before it even begins filming.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I'd be willing to give great odds that the idea of personality inhibitors wasn't considered until they were writing this episode.
Brainy already glitched out when one of the personality units cracked earlier in the season. The writers have probably planned this as part of his character arc for the season. I am hopeful we get to see him go full Brainiac in the future.

Quote:
I really liked Meaghan Rath in the Syfy remake of the Being Human series (in which Jesse played her character's brother in a few episodes), so I was happy to see her here. I wish she had been given more to do, though.
She uploaded herself into the Big Brain, so we'll undoubtedly see her again. Meaghan Rath's main gig these days is on Hawaii 5-0. Shooting in Vancouver must have been quite a shock to her system.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 AM

S05E11: Back From the Future - Part One

JEREMY JORDAN RETURNS; DAVID HAREWOOD DIRECTS - As Supergirl tries to thwart a Toyman copycat, Winn Schott (guest star Jeremy Jordan) returns from the future.

Back From the Future - Part One promo: https://youtu.be/zv5lV2V9IL0
Back from the Future - Part One sneak peek: https://youtu.be/qi16p-tA-bo
Old 01-27-2020, 12:54 AM

New Earth, new timeline. It appears that Leviathan never struck in this new timeline, so the front half of the season is pretty much moot. I knew there would be changes now that Kara is on the same Earth as all the other Super Friends, but I didn't expect them to push the reset button quite this hard.

What are the rules of the new multiverse? It seems like Brainy simply popped into another dimension to retrieve Winn's evil doppelganger. However, as far as I know, Earth-Prime is as yet unaware that other universes exist. Maybe evil-Winn is actually the OG Earth-1 Winn?

Barry's converted S.T.A.R. Labs facility is going to be called the Hall of Justice in the future. I really hope their official name going forward will the be "Super Friends".

William and Kara are teaming up to investigate Lex Luthor. So that means they're going to be a thing going forward. I was expecting this, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:32 AM

I was so annoyed by the William+Kara thing that I forgot to mention another annoyance. At the end, Supergirl was fast enough to rescue the remaining people from an explosion. So why was it, at the start, she wasn't fast enough to stop the speeding bullet nor could she catch Toyman as he was getting away?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

All superhero shows have fluctuating power problems. Supergirl and Flash, with so much power, have it worst. It is, by far, the thing most likely to take me out of a show. Is there not an audience for a less powerful hero written with a consistent level of power? Even the best of the powered shows, Black Lightning, is falling into this trap. Personally, I find it more sloppy writing than rule of cool.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 AM

S05E12: Back From the Future - Part Two

BRAINY MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN ALEX AND LEX; JEREMY JORDAN GUEST STARS - Supergirl helps Winn (guest star Jeremy Jordan) face his greatest fear. After Alex sets out to find evidence against Lex, Brainy must decide between helping his friend or continuing to secretly work for Lex.

Back From the Future - Part Two promo: https://youtu.be/Ydnj1viZSb0

This is supposed to be the continuation of Winn's return, so why do they seem to be wasting time on Kara and William's putative Valentine's date?
Old 02-17-2020, 01:59 AM

Thank God William+Kara were limited to karaoke. By all rights, though, it should have been Winn singing with Kara; Jeremy Jordan has a great voice.

Lex Luthor was great when he was manipulating things from behind the scenes, as in last season. He was when events were bigger than his petty concerns and he had to do everything in his power to survive, while still finding time to stick it to Superman, as in Crisis. Now that he's manipulated the universe so that he can operate out in the open, he's become a far less interesting character. Leviathan still seems to be a thing and maybe it'll turn out that it's Leviathan using Lex rather than the other way around.

Next week, it's the 100th episode. It looks like they're going to do the It's a Wonderful Life thing with Mr. Mxyzptlk.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 PM

Virtual food is nourishing? This makes Obsidian a humanitarian project to the n-th degree. Even if this "virtual food" has energy costs, the distribution and storage costs and problems with food have just gone away.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 AM

S05E13: It's a Super Life

THOMAS LENNON ("RENO 911") GUEST STARS IN SUPERGIRL'S 100TH EPISODE - Mxyzptlk (guest star Thomas Lennon) returns with a proposition for Kara - what if she could go back in time and tell Lena her secret before Lex did, would things turn out different? Looking back over key moments throughout the series, Kara must decide if she wants to change history to become friends with Lena again. Familiar faces return in this special episode.

It's a Super Life promo: https://youtu.be/c9V-B2yeb10
Old 02-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Aha! I knew it! The hat, which Manchester Black's friend kept pulling things out of, originally belonged to Mister Mxyzptlk.

Great callbacks to what were perhaps the strongest past seasons - the one with Reign and the one with Agent Liberty. We also got what's probably just enough of a glimpse of the grimdark world where Kara never befriended Lena. Metallo-Lena was great! Jeremy Jordan even stuck around after Winn ostensibly went back to the future. Too bad they couldn't get Calista Flockhart or Mehcad Brooks back.

It took magical intervention from the fifth dimension for Kara to stop beating herself up for lying to Lena, and to realize that Lena is being a petty bitch and call her out on it. Now is Lena going to stop acting like the villain she keeps protesting that she isn't?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:

It took magical intervention from the fifth dimension for Kara to stop beating herself up for lying to Lena, and to realize that Lena is being a petty bitch and call her out on it. Now is Lena going to stop acting like the villain she keeps protesting that she isn't?
Heh. We'll see.

It was nice to see how delighted Lena was when Kara revealed her identity at the earliest point. I liked the Cult of Rao arc, so seeing that again was fun (it's a logical development from the existence of Supergirl and it gives Supergirl a non-punchable problem - what's not to like).
Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 PM

Every time Mxy shows up he should be played by a different actor.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:54 AM

the Mister Mxyzptlk episode was one of the best we've seen in a while, easily the best of the season. I'd prefer it if he looked more like the comic book character but maybe the audience of today wouldn't be able to relate. I just hope this ends the lengthy and overblown angst of Lena being all butt hurt about not being told earlier that Kara is Supergirl.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Every time Mxy shows up he should be played by a different actor.
I can get behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
the Mister Mxyzptlk episode was one of the best we've seen in a while, easily the best of the season. I'd prefer it if he looked more like the comic book character but maybe the audience of today wouldn't be able to relate. I just hope this ends the lengthy and overblown angst of Lena being all butt hurt about not being told earlier that Kara is Supergirl.
This is possibly my favorite 100th episode of the Arrowverse. The Arrow 100th episode, part of the "Invasion!" crossover, was also pretty good. The Flash one was just last season, but I've already forgotten it so it can't have been very good.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Supergirl is pregnant, Mon-el is the happy dad (for those who didn't know). This is going to throw a wrench in next seasons tapings. Maybe they go full-on Super-Friends for half of a season? Who knows, but good for them. Just please, no babies on the show. It's never good.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 PM

Maybe she'll keep the cape in front of her at all times.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:20 AM

S05E14: The Bodyguard

LENA MOVES FORWARD WITH NON NOCERE - Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) tasks Supergirl with protecting Andrea from an anti-tech extremist, but his nefarious purpose goes beyond merely keeping Andrea alive. Meanwhile, Lena moves forward with Non Nocere, with Lex's help.

The Bodyguard promo: https://youtu.be/NnEiwSzj-50

100th Episode Super Celebration: https://youtu.be/B1_GbLFYZ9w
100th Episode Super Moments: https://youtu.be/q2x3BJbbzOg
Old 03-09-2020, 01:07 AM

What a stinker of an episode. Why are the writers so determined to make William and Kara a thing? Stop it. Stop it, already!

Beyond the relationship crap, I don't even know where the season is going. Is Andrea supposed to be the Big Bad? Obsidian Platinum? Leviathan? Lex? Lena? I am holding out hope that supervillain Lex will be outsmarted by an even bigger supervillain, Mrs Wheeler.

The one highlight of the episode: Supergirl, after being told by J'onn that the villain-of-the-week had gauntlets that drained him of his powers, goes ahead gets drained of her powers herself. So Dreamer had to come in and save her, which was cool.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:05 PM

This show has gone so far downhill. I was planning on at least finishing this season, but I don't know that I'll make it that far.

There are too many villains in the mix currently. Lex, Lena, Andrea (sort of), and the Leviathan woman.

And even though they've finally, FINALLY, gotten past the whole "Oh noes, I caused Lena to become evil because I didn't share my secret with her!" storyline, Kara/Supergirl still acts insecure and lacks confidence about everything. I miss the relatively strong character of seasons 1 and 2.

At least we didn't have any agonizingly torturous scenes of Alex and her girlfriend having relationship angst. I'm sure there's more of that ahead, though.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:09 PM

duplicate post deleted

Last edited by Tangent; 03-09-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: 504 Timeout Error
Old 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
At least we didn't have any agonizingly torturous scenes of Alex and her girlfriend having relationship angst. I'm sure there's more of that ahead, though.
They seem to have forgotten the whole "Alex wants to have a child" storyline, for which I am thankful.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:53 AM

S05E15: Reality Bytes

DREAMER STEPS UP TO PROTECT HER COMMUNITY AFTER HER ROOMMATE IS VICIOUSLY ATTACKED - Nia's roommate, Yvette (guest star Roxy Wood), is attacked by a man targeting Dreamer because he doesn't like that Dreamer is transgender and wants her to quit being a superhero. Determined to protect her community from additional harm, Dreamer refuses to give into his threats and puts herself in the line of fire to stop him. Supergirl stands by Dreamer and enlists additional help from Brainy. Meanwhile, Alex, J'onn and Kelly attempt to rescue a man stuck inside a virtual reality escape room.

Reality Bytes promo: https://youtu.be/sYH5LCyu9sc

Supergirl and all the other Arrowverse shows have shut down production due to Covid-19 concerns. There are only a few days left in production, so I don't know if this will affect the airing schedule. However, they were planning on starting work on Season 6 early to accomodate Melissa Benoist's pregnancy. I think next season will most likely be affected.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:19 AM

After such a shitty episode last week, we got one that was pretty good. Dreamer-centric, too, at least half of it was. Nicole Maines does anger and passion really well. She was mostly wasted as love interest for Brainy.

The other half of the episode, which involved Obsidian's VR, was mostly good. Though one wonders why, with launch so imminent, they don't appear to have given much thought to the ethical considerations of the technology.

A couple of random observations:

UPSWIPZ is the app that Ray Palmer was working on back in Season 3 of Legends.

After agonizing over blue vs purple and Alex of course telling her she should go with blue, Kara wears purple to her date with William. I wonder if that's her subconscious telling Kara that they're not a good match.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Wait - Dominators are still showing up on Earth from time to time?!? That seems like a big deal.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:43 AM

S05E16: Alex in Wonderland

ALEX TAKES ON A NEW ROLE - Alex uses a pair of Obsidian contact lenses to visit a virtual National City where she takes on a whole new persona. Meanwhile, Kelly helps William investigate Lex. Kara deals with difficult news.

Alex in Wonderland promo: https://youtu.be/jBMu8uSRalI

This episode is called "Alex in Wonderland" while the Batwoman episode that airs right before is entitled "Through the Looking Glass". The two titles can't be coincidental.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 AM

Such a fun episode. Chyler Leigh got to exercise her dramatic acting. Plus we got to see adult Alex interact with teen Alex.

Kelly finally, finally, finally understands that something is wrong with the VR tech. Unfortunately, Miss Tessmacher! is back and implanted (by Lex?) into Obsidian North.

Kelly + William is such an unusual team up. Are the writers trying to convince us that William is a good guy, suitable for Kara? Because it's not really working.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I can't figure out if Andrea is supposed to be evil, incompetent, or a bizarre combination of both.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:50 PM

Maybe I blinked and missed it, but: remember the Asian Supergirl? Approved of the black costume? Likes her drinks cold? Rushed off to get help or something once she seemed to realize that Alex had forgotten that she’s in a VR simulation?

Shouldn’t there have been some payoff to that?