Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM

I was just sickened when Glen and Abraham were killed with the bat. They provided a needed relief to the hard part. Those characters had interesting back stories.
Eugene is a hoot.
They announced Rick leaving the show and then he appears alive in that copter. That was just stupid. Is he out or in?
Even with big plot holes I'm enjoying this season. Not like I was in the beginning, but it's okay.
ETA the Negan, Aaron thing might turn into an interesting dynamic.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:00 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I quit watching after Carl was killed, but to be honest I was pretty much hate-watching it for at least a season before, because the show had just become incredibly bad. Poor writing, poor direction, one-note acting.,. It fell into the 'so bad it's fun to watch the trainwreck' category for a year or two, then it just got boring and stupid.
I got the impression the writers were trying to make the program as different from the comic as possible.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I got the impression the writers were trying to make the program as different from the comic as possible.
I have heard that they didnt want to pay the actor that played Carl an adults salary so they killed him off.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Well, I've never read the comic, but given that most people think the comics are really good, I'd say 'mission accomplished'.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I have heard that they didnt want to pay the actor that played Carl an adults salary so they killed him off.
The guy had just bought a house in the area where they film. He may be able to get more out of it as an artifact of the show, however.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
ETA the Negan, Aaron thing might turn into an interesting dynamic.

They need more of that kind of stuff IMHO. There aren't a whole lot of interesting character relationships anymore.

Daryl apparently has a whole new set of Carol trauma to deal with.

I don't care about Dr Whatshisface and his newfound friendship with Dr Newguy. Bonding over whatever PTSD trauma he suffered as a combat medic like ten years ago?

Alpha and Beta are so unambiguously psychotic and evil and the Whisperers are so weird and anonymous with their zombie masks that they just aren't interesting. At least Negan and The Governor are/were charming and charismatic. At best, the Whisperers should be a half-season threat like The Wolves or those Terminus nerds.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that really what happened? Wow.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Well, *I* read that Carl's (the actor's) real life father was a real stage father who overtook his son's career and started organizing Tours of the Walking Dead in Georgia or wherever, on the side. Without permission from the Walking Dead people, he was such an insufferable PITA they wrote Carl out....though without his father Rick, Carl might now be just extraneous to the story. So, no huge loss. I was sorry to see Enid and Henry, the other two young 'uns, dispatched like that....
Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Negan is bone skinny this season. Any idea what is up with Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Watch next time he is on screen and you will see that the actor is almost emaciated. I guess he is committed to his role, but did he really lose 30+ lbs?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 PM

I noticed him being super skinny. Looks ok on him.
Ok, that little ass-kickerJudith. Sword skills like a boss.
There's way too many new people. I can't keep them straight. I wanna see more of Rosita, Eugene and that one new guy whose kinda funny.
The seaside bunch bores me.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I noticed him being super skinny. Looks ok on him.
Looks ok?
Negan is a sociopathic mass murderer for Christ's sake!
Old 10-29-2019, 07:52 PM

He's still cute.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Negan is the only interesting character left now. I get why they might not fully trust him, but it's been what, five years or so since all that happened? He's shown he's changed and while maybe you don't fully turn your back on him, he has been shown to be trustworthy enough. He didn't leave Aaron to die after going mostly blind. He did protect the girl who was going to be severely beaten or killed.

The first couple of episodes were ok, but that last one went back to been too soap opera for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Negan has disappeared! I'm still watching. Also, I can't wait until Carol kills Alpha. That's gonna be epic!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Anyone still watching?

What "second chance" was Father Gabriel talking about before he murdered his prisoner? Like he had the chance to murder Negan in righteous vengeance, failed, and Negan ended up escaping without hurting anyone and turned into a more humanized anti-hero?
Old 11-27-2019, 05:54 PM

I watched the 1/2season finale'. I am more worried about Lydia. The deal with Saddiq was bad but I'm tired of these whiney butts, They bore me.
And come on Michonne' on a boat with a stranger??. Not smart.
Did you see the ad for the movie? Cool!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-27-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I watched the 1/2season finale'. I am more worried about Lydia. The deal with Saddiq was bad but I'm tired of these whiney butts, They bore me.
And come on Michonne' on a boat with a stranger??. Not smart.
Did you see the ad for the movie? Cool!
Movie?!

No. I did see something about ANOTHER spin off.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 PM

I heard it was a movie. Coming in 2020. I could be wrong. I often am.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I heard it was a movie. Coming in 2020. I could be wrong. I often am.
Apparently it's THREE movies and a new series The Walking Dead: The World Beyond
Old 11-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
The first couple of episodes were ok, but that last one went back to been too soap opera for me.
Definitely. I think this was the end of me watching week-to-week. I think I'm going to let the entire half-season air and then just back-to-back them.

I find myself not caring enough to remember what is going on at this point. I need the episodes to drop all at once.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:40 AM

Binged all the episodes over the past few days. It wasn't bad, but not good enough to get me to watch weekly as it airs so I'll save up and binge the second half of the season as well. Never thought I'd say this but the last two episodes needed more Negan.

As for the new spinoff series, I'm not excited about it at all; the preview ad didn't impress me. I'll give it a shot, but at this point I'm looking for less Walking Dead universe, not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
What "second chance" was Father Gabriel talking about before he murdered his prisoner?
I interpreted it as the second chance Gabriel was denying him by killing him.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 12-01-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 AM

Missed the edit window:

I'm a little bummed the previews for the second half of the season showed Michonne. I was kind of hoping that she would just never be heard from again, and when they send out a rescue to the island they'd find no evidence anyone ever lived there. Just a forever-unresolved mystery. Not that I dislike Michonne, particularly, but rather that that kind of hardship would be less eye-rolley than a bunch of choads in skin suits living as zombies in the woods.

The whisperers are just so incredibly stupid as a concept that it feels like the show is insulting my intelligence. I get that comic books present ridiculously stupid concepts just because they look cool in drawings, but they take it to a whole 'nother level.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Caught up with the second half of this season. I don't know if anyone else is watching, but to me the most unbelievable thing about the episode was Eugene's ham radio pal happening to be the one woman to survive the zombie apocalypse who also knows the words to an obscure 11 minute Iron Maiden song from 2010.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 AM

I'm watching.
I'm sick to death of Alpha.
So...I guess Daryl gets to raise Judith and RJ if they survive the hoarde.
The actor who plays Lydia is a good actress. I like her.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Haven't watched this since (I think) season six or so, so nope.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The whisperers are just so incredibly stupid as a concept that it feels like the show is insulting my intelligence. I get that comic books present ridiculously stupid concepts just because they look cool in drawings, but they take it to a whole 'nother level.
This is why I quit watching. I'm hoping (if it stays on the air) that after the whisperers are killed/dispatched/warped out of existence/whatever, the show gets better again.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM

I'm still watching. I have a much higher tolerance for people doing stupid things because I've watched too many people do too many stupid things for me to say 'no one would ever do that'.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
but to me the most unbelievable thing about the episode was Eugene's ham radio pal happening to be the one woman to survive the zombie apocalypse who also knows the words to an obscure 11 minute Iron Maiden song from 2010.
I've been watching, it's on my DVR, but good og has it gotten bad. I don't even really pay attention to it while I'm watching. Daryl should be good and dead after what happened to him.

When I first read your post I thought you were talking about when Eugene was talking to the woman before the break. I had to go and look it up only to find out it was this week's episode. I probably still wouldn't have known the song unless they played it. Last song on the album that's not all that great to begin with.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I have the latest 6 episodes saved on my DVR, and very little desire to watch them.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
DesertRoomie was a fan until Negan, then she quit cold. "I want to see people vs. zombies, not people vs. people," was her complaint, "And Negus after Terminus after The Governor is just too much."
People vs zombies can sustain a movie easily enough, but I really don't see how it could sustain a long-running series. There is an intial escape, then rush to establish a settlement, but once you've gotten a settlement, nonintelligent shambling things are not hard to deal with. You either need a "Litch King" type to give them some planning, which doesn't fit into scientificish zombie movies, have them stop being zombies and become something else, or have people start deciding they don't like other settlements.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:27 PM

I'm watching for Michonne (soon to be gone . I love her so much) ...sort of watching for Eugene. And, of course, Daryl. Norman Reedus seems to be in it till the end, and when he goes, I go. I also love Carol and want to see what happens with King Ezekiel, I don't really care much about anyone else. Little asskicker Judith is a wee, twee, cartoon character, no like.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

So I watched Sunday's episode last night. I never in a million years would have caught that was a Maiden song. Even after listening to it yesterday I barely caught it. I wonder if they went with it partly because the first song on the album is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier, and they were talking about seeing satellites fall from the sky.

I forgot some of the dumb shit that's been going on this season. Who in the hell designs a water pipe that brings both potable and nonpotable water from one tap?!

And why haven't they figured out a way to mass kill walkers? And they know loud noises attract walkers, they have batteries, they have cars, when the hordes come just play some Iron Maiden. Attract them away from your damn place. And they had a huge horde in a pit mine awhile ago, set up something so they can walk up the ramps and then fall 50 feet back in to the pit.

How is Eugene going to get the 300+ miles to Charleston in a week?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
When I first read your post I thought you were talking about when Eugene was talking to the woman before the break. I had to go and look it up only to find out it was this week's episode. I probably still wouldn't have known the song unless they played it. Last song on the album that's not all that great to begin with.
The only reason I know what song it was because I happened to read about it after the fact. And then I had to look it up and see that it was actually in my iTunes collection.

In all fairness, the song might have been more popular in the alternate world of The Walking Dead in 2010, given the state of their world.

Quote:
Jane Elliot I'm still watching. I have a much higher tolerance for people doing stupid things because I've watched too many people do too many stupid things for me to say 'no one would ever do that'.
"Stupid" like trapping themselves between their outer defenses and their (now flaming) palisade fort? They did this in Game of Thrones too. When you are hopelessly outnumbered by a mindless army of the undead, why give up your biggest advantage (i.e. "walls") to go out and fight hand to hand with num-chuks? Just hang out on top of your walls casually poking walkers in the head with pikes.

What annoys me is I have no idea how strong these camps are or how many people there are in them. It seems to fluctuate between a dozen to hundreds, depending on the needs of the story.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
And why haven't they figured out a way to mass kill walkers? And they know loud noises attract walkers, they have batteries, they have cars, when the hordes come just play some Iron Maiden.
They already tried the diversion thing last season and the zombies just walked straight past due to the whisperers. I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that a few people can control hundreds of zombies, but at least they did establish that beforehand.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
They already tried the diversion thing last season and the zombies just walked straight past due to the whisperers. I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that a few people can control hundreds of zombies, but at least they did establish that beforehand.
Yeah, but they never explained HOW they are doing that. Why are zombies following other zombies in the first place? They just mindlessly go toward loud noises.

The whole whisperer thing is stupid beyond belief
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Ah, I have forgotten that. Or didn't notice, or probably care.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Goodbye, Michonne, this was her final episode. She was my second favorite character,strong, fierce, elegant. I will miss her.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:21 PM

Yep. Goodbye Michonne.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:14 AM

It was a weird episode. I think they had to write her exit in a bit of a hurry due to her busy schedule.

Anyway, I hope she plays a big role in the Rick Grimes movies.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
People vs zombies can sustain a movie easily enough, but I really don't see how it could sustain a long-running series. There is an intial escape, then rush to establish a settlement, but once you've gotten a settlement, nonintelligent shambling things are not hard to deal with. You either need a "Litch King" type to give them some planning, which doesn't fit into scientificish zombie movies, have them stop being zombies and become something else, or have people start deciding they don't like other settlements.
The problem is that their version of people vs people was just shitty action, their battles were at the level of the 80's A-Team gun battles. The show peaked with stuff like Beth at the hospital and Carol with the two creepy girls. The groups of people fighting each other has been absolute tripe every single time they did it.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Haven't read the thread; just a note.

Mrs. L.A. stopped watching after Carl died. Now we don't watch it together, and I can't watch it when she's home -- which is all the time. Yesterday I tried to watching on Xfinity Stream (accessing my recordings). It wouldn't play. None of my recordings would play. I called Comcast, and they called me back over an hour later. After spending a long time on the phone, I was given over to a higher-level person. It turns out that Xfinity 'forgot' that Flash was turned on before. Once I turned it on again, I was able to watch two episodes. I still have catching up to do. (And I still have the final season of Preacher to watch as well.)