Old 10-29-2019, 03:16 PM

The Mandalorian series on Disney+ (spoilers as it airs)

Disney dropped a new trailer for The Mandalorian, featuring even more narration from the greatest narrator ever, Werner Herzog. I appreciated the continued misuse of "parsec".

If the writing is on the same level as the casting and SFX, this could be great.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Was that... Bill fucking Burr?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:53 PM

Yeah, he talks a bit about the production and how he got involved here: https://youtu.be/l7825H0xZoo
Old 10-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Yup, this hooked me. Will be subscribing to give this a try.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Was that... Bill fucking Burr?
He was in Breaking Bad, so it's not his first role, but yeah, seems odd but kind of awesome.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I appreciated the continued misuse of "parsec".
No, not this time. "They said you were the best in the parsec"="They said you were the best within 3.26 light-years", not "They said you were the best in 1/12th the time it took Han Solo to do the Kessel run."
Old 10-29-2019, 05:37 PM

A parsec is distance, not area or volume. He said "the parsec" which makes no sense anywhere except Star Wars.

"You were the best within 5 parsecs?" That's fine. "You were the best within the parsec?" It's clearly riffing off the original mistake.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I mean, I like the call back (Easter egg?, who knows), but in Star Wars the parsec is a measure of time, and don't give me that stupid retconned shit from Solo. So I'd have preferred they stick with the original alternate reality meaning and made it a time measure. Throwing in a new, different screw up feels forced and kind of lame to me.

/fan-nerding
Old 10-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

This releases week to week instead of all at once. I preferred when things in streaming service release all at once.

I'll be watching, but still.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I hope this is PG enough to watch with my kids(age 9 and 11).
Old 10-29-2019, 06:22 PM

It's the Disney channel and Star Wars, I would imagine it's PG.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:39 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
A parsec is distance, not area or volume. He said "the parsec" which makes no sense anywhere except Star Wars.

"You were the best within 5 parsecs?" That's fine. "You were the best within the parsec?" It's clearly riffing off the original mistake.
It might better have been "You were the best within a parsec," but otherwise makes sense. At any rate, it's not the same mistake as Han's, since he was using it as a unit of time, not a spatial unit.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-29-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 AM

I have spoken

Just finished the first episode. It was well produced with lots of action and great special effects. It will appeal to the target demographic. Mahaloth, your kids will be fine. The violence was typical Star Wars, i.e., blaster shootouts and no gore.

On the downside, the plot wasnít well developed and we donít know much about what motivates the titular bounty hunter. Oh well.

Iím hoping it improves...looking forward to next week.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Just saw it and thought it was pretty good. I really do not get the "week to week" release strategy on a streaming service. Once the first episode was done, I wanted the next one immediately.

The budget was showing. At no point when they were flying along in the little speeders did I ever think they were not in a studio filming.

I wonder if the Mandalorian will ever take off his helmet.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

So far I have the self control not to subscribe. Maybe I will wait and binge the season - I do want to see it.
Isn't keeping folks wanting more a good thing? More likely to keep the service for the whole season.

Brian
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I really do not get the "week to week" release strategy on a streaming service.
They have learned that there is a benefit to the water-cooler talk for an event show like this. Game Of Thrones is talked about for months, while Stranger Things is only in the zeitgeist for a couple of weeks before being subsumed by the next big thing.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:28 AM

1) Without explicit spoilers: awwww!

2) Not too much happened but it was a nice mood setter.

3) I got Disney+ free for a year it looks like. Verizon, YMMV.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

I wasn't initially planning on subscribing to Disney+ just for the one show, but it turns out I'm getting a free year of it through Verizon, so I checked it out and I was entertained. Brian Posehn as the speeder pilot tickled me pink.

SPOILER:
Why a bunch of Zabraks were guarding a baby Yoda, or why Werner Herzog (who I assume is a Moff of the Imperial Remnant since his stormtroopers were in old worn-out armor) wants one alive is enough of a mystery for me to be interested in seeing what's coming next.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Horizon View Post

On the downside, the plot wasnít well developed and we donít know much about what motivates the titular bounty hunter. Oh well.
I thought that there was just enough. He's a bounty hunter so he's motivated to get the best paying bounty available. There is a scene where he is with a female Mandalorian and they have a discussion there. So there's a framework in place to build on. The Mandalorian is just a "Man With No Name" character type: you get the action and he's a man of few words. When he does speak, it means something.

Quote:

The budget was showing. At no point when they were flying along in the little speeders did I ever think they were not in a studio filming.
That did distract me some as well. Many of the scenes looked fine but some of the effects, namely the speeders, just didn't quite look right. It was the Uncanny Valley for sure, but the effects were decent for a TV show.

I thought this episode was very good. I was surprised by the cameos in it and ended up looking through IMDB during parts of the show to see who I thought I recognized (Horatio Sanz, Taika Waititi, and Brian Posehn are all in it).

Good adventure, good story building, and an interesting cliffhanger at the end. Jon Favreau looks like he knows what he doing in this universe and I think he should get all the Star Wars.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I thought that there was just enough. He's a bounty hunter so he's motivated to get the best paying bounty available. There is a scene where he is with a female Mandalorian and they have a discussion there. So there's a framework in place to build on. The Mandalorian is just a "Man With No Name" character type: you get the action and he's a man of few words. When he does speak, it means something.
I'd say we got a decent bit of backstory and world-building. He's an orphan whose parents were killed, most likely during the Clone Wars. He was taken in by a group of Mandalorian refugees - whether he's Mandalorian by blood or by adoption is unclear. These Mandos have a strong belief in the sacredness of Beskar steel and the armor they make from it, to the point that they stubbornly refuse to take off their helmets in the presence of others and consider it offensive that the metal should be in the possession of outsiders. Our hero has yet to earn his "signet" - I take this to be an emblem worn on one's armor that is unique, identifying, and of great significance to the individual, like an MLP character's Cutie Mark. (The circle with herb leaf on Boba Fett's breastplate was presumably his signet.)

He's pretty true to type as far as Mandalorians were portrayed in the old EU; basically space versions of the pop-culture understanding of Spartan warriors who spoke plainly and concisely, spent most of their lives training for or engaging in combat, and had little concern for other matters, though his upbringing as an orphan seems to have informed his decisions in the final scene of the episode.

Last edited by Smapti; 11-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM

A thought about the ending:

SPOILER:

I just read speculation elsewhere that the baby is Yoda reincarnated. That got me thinking - first "Oh it's a reincarnation" sounds cheesy when you just say it that way but the Star Wars universe is a big universe with a lot of diverse life. What if Yoda is the only representative of his species and Yaddle is the only female representative as well? Upon Yoda's death, his Force rich home planet draw upon its connection to the life around it and creates a new Yoda. Force sensitive, with some Force-granted memories of his existence.

This skirts the question of what species he is - Yoda is Yoda (and I kind of like that). The only issue with this thought is that Baby Yoda is said to be 50 years old and this takes place just a few years after Yoda's death in ROTJ. Perhaps a better writer than I would be able to make this explanation work. Maybe there are few Yodas born but only one is granted the power of the Yoda. I dunno, that's a little crazy but no crazier than giant space squids that eat space ships or giant mouths in the desert that eat bounty hunters and gangster toadies.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Finally was able to watch it through their web site. Really good show. Even though the budget showed a few times, I thought it overall was movie quality. I felt like I could feel the writers/directors giving nods to both the 70's Boba Fett cartoon and old spaghetti westerns. But it still felt thoroughly Star Wars. I agree with others that wish they just released the whole season at once, but I bet they will get more subscribers by spacing it out.

Oh and, avoiding spoilers, that character loss was crushing to me, I liked them already and was hoping they would stay around.

Last edited by control-z; 11-13-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:41 PM

Liked it overall, but the blue guy seemed more like a The Orville character than a Star Wars one.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Just saw it and thought it was pretty good. I really do not get the "week to week" release strategy on a streaming service.
Easy reasons. First and foremost they can get you subscribing for multiple months rather than one and cancel. And second, the way they prevent you from subscribing at the end of the series and binging it and just paying a month, making it water cooler fare so that you are worried about missing out on the discussion or getting spoiled if you don't watch right now.

Apple TV+ is also doing the week to week format. It seems like the binge method is just going to be the province of Netflix, Amazon, and perhaps some lesser shows on Hulu (Hulu has the week to week release for Handmaid's Tale already).

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 11-13-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
This releases week to week instead of all at once. I preferred when things in streaming service release all at once.

I'll be watching, but still.

This is interesting, evidence with Netflix is that people come for the originals and stay for the acquisitions (i.e most viewing is done on series like Friends). Acquisitions are becoming more expensive and harder to source as competition amongst SVOD services grow. But if you release an original series all at once people will burn through it VERY quickly and then you really have to rely on those acquisitions or other expensive originals. Disney need people to stick with the service, not to burn through that one title they signed up for and then unsubscribe.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I heard the second episode is 27 minutes after the "previously on". Weird.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM

It seems like the pilot was only about 38 minutes (according to the app), so it appears they are interested in doing episodes like 25-40 minutes.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:32 PM

I enjoyed Taika Waititi as the voice of the bounty hunter droid who kept trying to "activate self destruct".
Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Episode 2 was terrific -- even better than the first, IMO. Very tight, fun little self-contained tale, while still fitting into a larger storyline.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 11-15-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I enjoyed Taika Waititi as the voice of the bounty hunter droid who kept trying to "activate self destruct".
Definitely the best part of the first episode.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Second episode was great.

I know I am playing into Disney's scheme by doing this, but I really want a Baby Yoda stuffed animal for each of my kids.

Looks like that Baby Yoda is an actual puppet as well. I thought he was digital in the first episode, but I do think this episode looked like it was a real puppet.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Holy cow. Mandalorian sure takes a beating, doesn't he?

There is some very good detail on Baby Yoda as well. There was some close ups and wrinkles in the skin was detectable.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Jesus, are they BORN force sensitive? I know the baby is supposedly 50 years old - that's a lot of green diapers - but that kid is pretty sophisticated.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Jesus, are they BORN force sensitive? I know the baby is supposedly 50 years old - that's a lot of green diapers - but that kid is pretty sophisticated.
Or it is reincarnated Yoda.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 PM

It's supposedly 50 years old. Yoda's been gone for 5 or 6 by my count.

Hell, in the time of TFA it still won't have been 50 years since Yoda died.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 PM

I just wonder how this plays out into the larger story they have going with the sequel movies right now. I mean this was, what, only 25 years before Force Awakens? How can there be a freakishly powerful Baby Yoda in the galaxy, yet no one (like Luke or Force Ghost Yoda or Snoke) know about it? So either this new character could come into play in Rise of Skywalker, or perhaps Baby Yoda doesn't make it that far, or....?

But even if Baby Yoda isn't actually related to Actual Yoda, he's obviously Force sensitive, and comes from the same planet as one of the most powerful Jedi to ever live. So unless this baby dies, I don't see how it gets ignored by the upcoming movie. That being said, it's a pretty bold assumption that all the movie-goers will all know about Baby Yoda from "The Madalorian," so I don't know how they could actually incorporate the tot into the story without some head-scratches from a sizable chunk of their audience.

I gotta say, it was a bold move to drop such a potentially game-changing character at this point in the timeline. They could've set the Madalorian 100 years into the future, and they wouldn't have had it potentially bumping into the sequel trilogy's story. I'm really intrigued with where they're going with this.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 11-15-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Jut thinking a bit more about this: if Baby Yoda is 50 at this point, he was born around 40 BBY. About the same time Anakin was born. Curious? Coincidence? Will it all tie together?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 11-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's supposedly 50 years old. Yoda's been gone for 5 or 6 by my count.

Hell, in the time of TFA it still won't have been 50 years since Yoda died.
Assuming he is really 50. But, yes, he is either not Yoda or Yoda's spirit went into an already living yoda-baby.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Part of that scene with the Space Rhino is straight out of a Far Side cartoon. (The rest of tbe episode is Lone Wolf and Cub.)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:11 PM

Loving the series so far. I wish we were getting a good 45-60 mins per episode, however.

Love baby Yoda too, but I really wish they didn’t make him 50 years old. I get that Yoda lived to be nearly 1,000 years old, but making his species’ life cycle like our own, just 10 times slower seems silly. It’s like the concept of dog-years in reverse. I just can’t imagine any species of life surviving if it’s infancy stage was 50 years long or more. I also get that Favreau was going for a clever surprise, and it worked, but how long until this baby Yoda becomes even a “teenager”? 300 years? Will it remain an infant for the entire series run?

But he is adorable, isn’t he?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Second episode was great.

I know I am playing into Disney's scheme by doing this, but I really want a Baby Yoda stuffed animal for each of my kids.

Looks like that Baby Yoda is an actual puppet as well. I thought he was digital in the first episode, but I do think this episode looked like it was a real puppet.
Iím pretty sure theyíre using both a puppet and a CGI double for certain shots.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

It will be a combination of CGI and puppet, but not separate, just combinations. Digital blinks and expression enhancements, digitally removing the puppeteers and the rods. Much like how BB-8 is done, which is practical 90% of the time, but with its puppeteer digitally removed.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they're going with the old fan theory that Yoda's people are the Whills themselves, then it'd make sense for them to be inherently strong in the Force. Presumably that's why Grand Moff Herzog is so desperate for a living specimen of one.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Aside: God, does any actor on earth do disaffected and tired better than Werner Herzog? He's great when someone can convince him to get in front of the camera instead of behind it.

He's great behind it, too, of course.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:26 PM

I've been calling it Boda for Baby Yoda.

My personal theory right now is that Boda is a Yoda clone. It would fit the timeline (they were developed for decades before Obi Wan met Jengo) and it would fit thematically with the most famous Mandalorian to us previously was Boba, a clone himself.

And if Boda survives this series, how old would s/he be "now" entering episode 9 of the movies? 70 or so? How much bigger would s/he be developmentally?

Also, how much more cuteness can I take before my heart explodes?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it's a Yoda clone, nobody in this story should know who Yoda was, but I do think Doctor Pershing wants to clone him.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

They aren't going to do the whole Trope of:

Werner Herzog gets Baby-Yoda and it is revealed he intends to kill it or do some kind of torture on it....leading Mandalorian to fight for the baby-yoda's life. Causing the Mandalorian to be outcast from the bounty hunter system.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
They aren't going to do the whole Trope of:

Werner Herzog gets Baby-Yoda and it is revealed he intends to kill it or do some kind of torture on it....leading Mandalorian to fight for the baby-yoda's life. Causing the Mandalorian to be outcast from the bounty hunter system.
Torture baby Yoda by making it watch Stroszek so it Ian Curtises itself.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Torture baby Yoda by making it watch Stroszek so it Ian Curtises itself.
They could make it watch "My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?"
Old 11-19-2019, 07:54 AM

I don't see how they could possibly use Baby Yoda in the movie in any sort of meaningful way, or even a cameo. The Marvel division of Disney was extremely careful not to make anything in a movie depend in the slightest way, and I'm sure the Star Wars division will be at least as smart. Making casual moviegoers think they have to catch up with a TV show to understand the movie is much more likely to suppress movie turnout than it is to increase TV/streaming viewership.

And given that the final episode of the Mandalorian drops a week after "Rise of Skywalker", even a cameo would be a spoiler to the show. I think this story line is going to be completely self-contained. There's no reason in the movie universe to believe that Force sensitives would be able to detect Baby Yoda - they couldn't detect full grown Yoda after all, and they knew he existed. The whole "Yoda was hidden by the Dark Force tree" device is an EU thing only, not in the movies at all.