Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I think a lot of people make the mistake of forgetting how big the Galaxy is. IIRC, the novelization of A New Hope states that there's about one billion inhabited worlds in the Galaxy. There's no need for this particular youngling (see what I did there?) to be related to Yoda, or a clone of Yoda, or a reincarnated Yoda, or have anything whatsoever to do with Yoda aside from being of the same species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
And if Boda survives this series, how old would s/he be "now" entering episode 9 of the movies? 70 or so? How much bigger would s/he be developmentally?
According to Wookieepedia, the series is set in 9 ABY. Episode VII & VIII take place a few days apart in 34 ABY, and I believe IX is set one year afterward, which would make the youngling 76 at that point.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 AM

I joined this weekend and watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. A few things:

If the baby ends up being directly connected to Yoda (reincarnation, descendent etc.) other than being the same species, that is stupid. Star Wars has enough problems with Small Universe Syndrome. Tell me new stories.

In the lead up to the series since they hadn't said much about the actor playing the title character I had convinced myself it would turn out to be a woman under the helmet but turns out I was wrong.

I like that it is being released week to week. I think binge watching can turn watching a show into a chore and releasing a season all at once encourages creators to not make individual episodes. I just wish I had a better idea as to when it comes out.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The Marvel division of Disney was extremely careful not to make anything in a movie depend in the slightest way, and I'm sure the Star Wars division will be at least as smart. Making casual moviegoers think they have to catch up with a TV show to understand the movie is much more likely to suppress movie turnout than it is to increase TV/streaming viewership.
CoughDarthMaulCough.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 AM

The baby Yoda is the perfect candidate for Luke to train alongside Kylo Ren. Maybe they're planning a Mark Hamill cameo.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I sure hope not. I love everyone's grump Jedi grandpa as much as anyone but I really want to move on.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Episode 3 is up! And it's awesome!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bloody good job. Had a bad feeling, but the solidarity at the end saved it for me.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:50 PM

...was that an ice cream maker?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Yes.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:38 PM

It's a Camtono!
Old 11-22-2019, 03:50 PM

It was an interesting reveal in this episode that those weren't just guys using surplus Stormtrooper armor but an actual Empire remnant.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:42 PM

So I like to put an age with everyone: If Mando was maybe 5ish during the Clone Wars (which I'm assuming is the case with the presence of the battle droids in his flashbacks), that would probably make him about 50?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
So I like to put an age with everyone: If Mando was maybe 5ish during the Clone Wars (which I'm assuming is the case with the presence of the battle droids in his flashbacks), that would probably make him about 50?
The Clone Wars were 22-19 BBY, and this is 9 ABY, so an age range of 28-31 would be more appropriate.

I really enjoyed this episode, though I'm surprised any of the other bounty hunters were willing to take on a Mandalorian when one of them is an army in and of himself and he's got an entire tribe to back him up. I wonder if Carl Weathers is going to be his ongoing main antagonist now.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The Clone Wars were 22-19 BBY, and this is 9 ABY, so an age range of 28-31 would be more appropriate.

I really enjoyed this episode, though I'm surprised any of the other bounty hunters were willing to take on a Mandalorian when one of them is an army in and of himself and he's got an entire tribe to back him up. I wonder if Carl Weathers is going to be his ongoing main antagonist now.
I think they didn't know about the backup. In my understanding, the "tribe" is underground, in secret, and only one can venture out at a time. So at most, the locals would see one guy, perhaps occasionally different armor.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 AM

Dammit, that ball is clearly a choking hazard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
It was an interesting reveal in this episode that those weren't just guys using surplus Stormtrooper armor but an actual Empire remnant.
I assumed that from the beginning - the scientist was wearing almost the same uniform Galen Erso was when he was working for the empire, and Grand Moff Herzog had an imperial symbol around his neck.

Or did you mean it was confirmed since the stormtroopers can't hit anything?
Quote:

He has to be. They didn't have him get saved by the beskar bible in his pocket for no reason.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Dammit, that ball is clearly a choking hazard!

I assumed that from the beginning - the scientist was wearing almost the same uniform Galen Erso was when he was working for the empire, and Grand Moff Herzog had an imperial symbol around his neck.

Or did you mean it was confirmed since the stormtroopers can't hit anything?

He has to be. They didn't have him get saved by the beskar bible in his pocket for no reason.
That baby swallowed a frog. I'm sure it can handle a little metal ball.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That baby swallowed a frog. I'm sure it can handle a little metal ball.
Then it's a swallow hazard. I'm sure the Mandalorian doesn't want to spend his time fishing through Boda's poop in the vac tube to make sure he's passed it.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Is Werner Herzog extracting something to do with the Force so he can inject it into a clone of Emperor Palpatine and resurrect the Emperor?
Old 11-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is Werner Herzog extracting something to do with the Force so he can inject it into a clone of Emperor Palpatine and resurrect the Emperor?
Midichlorians, I assumed.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Midichlorians, I assumed.
That is what I, as well, assumed.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting to see how Dr Pershing, who is clearly from a more sophisticated part of the galaxy, and probably lives somewhere more like Coruscant (or Kamino), is being juxtaposed against the wild west-like environment of the Outer Rim. It's an aspect of this series that I am fascinated by, to see how they are going to tie together the aesthetics of the original trilogy with those of the prequel trilogy.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I think they didn't know about the backup. In my understanding, the "tribe" is underground, in secret, and only one can venture out at a time. So at most, the locals would see one guy, perhaps occasionally different armor.
I don't think they have to venture out one at a time. But they definitely keep a low profile (aside from walking around in highly recognizable Space Templar armor) and don't collect in numbers publicly. The Mandalorians give off a sort of 47 Ronin vibe. They keep their true numbers and strength hidden while they maintain their old traditions, but publicly they project this image of being a handful of warrior mercenary drifter bad asses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief
I also assumed they were remnants of the Empire. Sure, as a kid watching the original trilogy, everyone just sort of assumes that with the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of Palpatine and Vader, the Good Guys just stepped into the role of Running the Galaxy.

In reality, I would expect the galaxy to splinter off into a billion different factions. I assumed a lot of these Imperial governors, garrison commanders and admirals operated with a lot of autonomy anyway. Those factions obviously consolidating over the next 30 years into New Order and One Republic (or whatever they call themselves ).
Old 11-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I don't think they have to venture out one at a time. But they definitely keep a low profile (aside from walking around in highly recognizable Space Templar armor) and don't collect in numbers publicly. The Mandalorians give off a sort of 47 Ronin vibe. They keep their true numbers and strength hidden while they maintain their old traditions, but publicly they project this image of being a handful of warrior mercenary drifter bad asses.
I took the "one at a time" from a line in the latest episode. I don't recall the exact words, but I'm pretty sure one of the Mandalorians stated that only one of them at a time leaves the compound.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I took the "one at a time" from a line in the latest episode. I don't recall the exact words, but I'm pretty sure one of the Mandalorians stated that only one of them at a time leaves the compound.
It was when the "Heavy Infantry" Mando was pissed at the main character for working for the Imperial remnants:

Armorer: Our secrecy is our survival. Our survival is our strength.

Heavy Infantry: Our strength was once in our numbers. Now we live in the shadows and only come above ground one at a time. Our world was shattered by the Empire, with whom this coward shares tables.

I don't think he literally means that only one of them can be outside the enclave at a time, so they were all stuck in the hole while the main character was putting his ship back together. I think he means that they only leave/enter the enclave singly, and don't meet each other above ground, so their actual numbers are unknown.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Right, it's a "do not congregate in public" rule, they are not living like mole people.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:14 AM

I took it differently, but no big deal. We'll see, maybe they'll expand on this later.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for the drive-by since I've not been following the thread. But I really love this show. I'm amazed that Disney actually succeeded in making a really good Star Wars property.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I took it differently, but no big deal. We'll see, maybe they'll expand on this later.
Goddammit, we're on the internet, and one of us is clearly wrong. You can't say it's no big deal. Who do you think you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Sorry for the drive-by since I've not been following the thread. But I really love this show. I'm amazed that Disney actually succeeded in making a really good Star Wars property.
I really like how even though the story is pretty bleak, they've kept ton of fun stuff in it - the first bounty talking about going to the bathroom, the Salacious Crumb monkey thing in a cage watching another monkey thing turning over a spit, the Jawa fight, followed by the Jawas eating the egg, the IG droid continuously trying to self destruct, etc.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

For me that's a feature, not a bug.

In the first Star Wars we see burned murdered corpses of Owen and Beru. We see Ben sever a thug's arm with his Lightsaber. We see dozens of Jawas and a bunch of Storm Troopers killed by blaster fire. In Jedi we get Leia in the gold bikini clearly in some type of sexual servitude. This is a PG rated (back when that meant something other than just live action G rated movie) WAR story.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:09 PM

I like how our first introduction to Carl Weather's character is him being a cheapskate and shorting the Mandalorian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Spraypainting household objects is a Star Wars tradition since the beginning. One of the recent ones had bubble wrap seatbelts.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
CoughDarthMaulCough.
CoughBoxOfficeDisappointmentCough
Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 AM

I'm a bit confused by the backstory

SPOILER:

So the Mandalorians hate the Empire for killing their tribe and stealing their metal, but in the flashbacks it's the Trade Federation killing them all? Which fits nicely into the timeline as we know it with the Clone Wars being 35 years before the series but also I thought nobody knew the Empire had been secretly backing the Trade Federation?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I'm a bit confused by the backstory

SPOILER:

So the Mandalorians hate the Empire for killing their tribe and stealing their metal, but in the flashbacks it's the Trade Federation killing them all? Which fits nicely into the timeline as we know it with the Clone Wars being 35 years before the series but also I thought nobody knew the Empire had been secretly backing the Trade Federation?

The flashbacks are about the main character's childhood. I don't think he was always Mandalorian - ISTM he was adopted into the culture. So the Mandalorian history is probably separate from his own back story.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Latest episode (4) was lots of fun, IMO. Cliché and not quite as good as the last episode, but still very good. Heavily reminded me of Firefly.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:54 AM

It bugged me that he was taken by surprise by the tracking fob, he knew about those.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It bugged me that he was taken by surprise by the tracking fob, he knew about those.
Yeah, that was a bit silly.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The flashbacks are about the main character's childhood. I don't think he was always Mandalorian - ISTM he was adopted into the culture. So the Mandalorian history is probably separate from his own back story.
Is part of The Way of Mandolores that they grow by way of taking in orphans??

In the Amory he essentially tithed some of his beskar to "the foundlings" with either him or the Armorer (forgetting which) saying as a mantra "The foundlings are the future. It is The Way."

His story may be the archetype for Mandolore history instead of separate from it, and why taking on an orphan and making sure it is safe resonates with them. The bit with never taking off their helmets thereby making more cultural sense as the species we are underneath is immaterial - our helmets, our armor, what we haven chosen as our skin, as our faces, is what matters, it is The Way.

Imagine though if you will a Yoda species Mandalorian!! Way!

Last edited by DSeid; 11-29-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Is part of The Way of Mandolores that they grow by way of taking in orphans??
It would have to be if almost all of them got wiped out in "the great purge".
Old 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Latest episode (4) was lots of fun, IMO. Cliché and not quite as good as the last episode, but still very good. Heavily reminded me of Firefly.
Firefly? It didn't remind you of Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Three Amigos, A Bug's Life, and an episode of Clone Wars?
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The bit with never taking off their helmets thereby making more cultural sense as the species we are underneath is immaterial - our helmets, our armor, what we haven chosen as our skin, as our faces, is what matters, it is The Way.

Imagine though if you will a Yoda species Mandalorian!! Way!
Yeah, that only works for very nearly human species. You would have a pretty easy time distingushing between a "Yoda" Mandalorian, a "human" one, a Chevin one, an Amani one, and a Dug one.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It would have to be if almost all of them got wiped out in "the great purge".
I'm imagining a longer standing tradition than that, one that counts as a central tenet of the culture. After all, pregnancy is a bit inconvenient for a dedicated warrior. My imagined bit is that The Way has always been to adopt, not bear children, and their tribe has always been a mix of many species sharing a culture that they actively choose by wearing the helmet and presenting that as their identity, not what species they are. There may be individuals who are the adoptive parents but that to no small degree the tribe raises the foundlings.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that only works for very nearly human species. You would have a pretty easy time distingushing between a "Yoda" Mandalorian, a "human" one, a Chevin one, an Amani one, and a Dug one.
Yeah and you can tell Heavy Artillery is a bit different than the others. Big ass human or another species underneath? Maybe others stand out even more. But no shortage of humanoid species in the SW universe and no shortage of ones whose parents are killed off or otherwise absent either ...

It would be a nice contrast to the bloodline importance of the Skywalker saga. Among Mandalores our true family is who we actively chose to be of our family as the conscious choice symbolized by never removing the helmet, and our talents are not by accident of birth but by learned skill.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Firefly? It didn't remind you of Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Three Amigos, A Bug's Life, and an episode of Clone Wars?
Those too!
Old 11-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Really enjoying the series. I'm getting a firefly vibe as well, not because of the Ep 4 plotline, which as pointed out was hardly original to Firefly, but from that high-tech/low tech mix, I mean you have a droid using a cane basket to catch krill!

One thing that is bugging me a bit is those trackers. What are they actually keying in on? Surely not some kind of tracking chip on the subject, I'm sure Mando would know of those and destroy it. I know this is space magic, but tracking an individual by what? DNA or something over interstellar distances? I find that hard to swallow. For me it makes the the whole bounty hunting profession a little less impressive. "Yeah, so I just follow the blip anywhere in the galaxy, and capture the guy, easy peasy" Where's the tracking and hunting skills, that would impress anyone?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:28 PM

Looks like allusions to various Westerns and samurai TV shows and movies.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedySmurf View Post
Really enjoying the series. I'm getting a firefly vibe as well, not because of the Ep 4 plotline, which as pointed out was hardly original to Firefly, but from that high-tech/low tech mix, I mean you have a droid using a cane basket to catch krill!

One thing that is bugging me a bit is those trackers. What are they actually keying in on? Surely not some kind of tracking chip on the subject, I'm sure Mando would know of those and destroy it. I know this is space magic, but tracking an individual by what? DNA or something over interstellar distances? I find that hard to swallow. For me it makes the the whole bounty hunting profession a little less impressive. "Yeah, so I just follow the blip anywhere in the galaxy, and capture the guy, easy peasy" Where's the tracking and hunting skills, that would impress anyone?
My impression is that the tracking fobs are short-range - a few hundred meters at best - and that the bounty hunter arrived at the village following rumors of a Mandalorian being involved in a fight.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

This was a really good episode that actually got me a little teary-eyed at the end - it was hard having to see Baby Yoda leave behind the friends he made in the village and knowing that the Empire is just going to keep hunting him. There must be very few of his species around if Grand Moff Herzog is so fixated on capturing this one individual.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:48 AM

Incidentally, the latest episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, star of the Jurassic World films. Maybe that's why the AT-ST was basically a T-rex.

Last edited by Alessan; 12-01-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM

That was literally the best AT-ST driver in the Star Wars universe for not immediately crashing into their boobytrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfy View Post
Looks like allusions to various Westerns and samurai TV shows and movies.
Sure, in addition to the Seven Samurai & associated remakes and retellings, you can also see references to Lone Wolf & Cub; 47 Ronin, The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, etc.

The Star Wars universe owes a lot to Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leonne.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
A thought about the ending:

I just read speculation elsewhere that the baby is Yoda reincarnated.
That doesn't fly. The timeline, according to IMDB, is set approximately 5 years after Episode 6. The "baby" is supposedly 50 years old.

Now, Son of Yoda, I might go for.