Old 12-01-2019, 01:27 PM

There's a bigger chance that he is the son of Yoda and Yaddle who were both alive concurrently during that time period.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:32 PM

My personal theory is that, like Anakin, Baby Yoda is some creation of the force and/or palpatine, as they both arrived on the scene 50 years prior to this story.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Incidentally, the latest episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, star of the Jurassic World films. Maybe that's why the AT-ST was basically a T-rex.
And Ron Howard's daughter, perhaps helping to explain her flair for direction.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post

Sure, in addition to the Seven Samurai & associated remakes and retellings, you can also see references to Lone Wolf & Cub; 47 Ronin, The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, etc.

The Star Wars universe owes a lot to Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leonne.
That probably explains why I was initially impressed, and then realized that I saw similar, and in many cases, better.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Firefly? It didn't remind you of Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Three Amigos, A Bug's Life, and an episode of Clone Wars?
Not to mention an episode of Doctor Who.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

My wild-ass theory du jour is that Snoke was a botched attempt at creating a clone body for Palpatine out of the material that was extracted from Baby Yoda. It would certainly explain his affinity for the Force, how he came out of nowhere to become the leader of the First Order, and how easily he swayed Ben to the Dark Side.

Favorite moment of this last episode:

Baby Yoda: (flips the green switch)
Mando: (turns the switch off)
Baby Yoda: (flips the switch again)
Mando: "Stop touching things."
Baby Yoda: (slowly reaches over and flips the red switch)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

Then the whole ship starts shaking.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 AM

I am not a full on SW fan, so there's a lot I don't know.

Like BBY as a date - I'm going "Before Baby Yoda"? Make no sense!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Before Battle of Yavin (which saw the blowing up of the death star in the original movie; Yavin IV being the location of the Rebel base that the empire was attempting to vaporize).

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 12-02-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:18 PM

I really liked the Monty Pythonesque "You wait here until I get back" scene too. Honestly, I'm hoping we find out in the last episode that baby Yoda is actually mentally a fully mature adult, and he's been trolling the Mandalorian the whole series.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
That was literally the best AT-ST driver in the Star Wars universe for not immediately crashing into their boobytrap.

Sure, in addition to the Seven Samurai & associated remakes and retellings, you can also see references to Lone Wolf & Cub; 47 Ronin, The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, etc.

The Star Wars universe owes a lot to Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leonne.
More like John Ford, as Lucas stole entire sections of The Searchers for multiple of his movies.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM

And will it turn out that the attractive widow who's an excellent shot is actually a Mandalorian who took off her helmet?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I am not a full on SW fan, so there's a lot I don't know.

Like BBY as a date - I'm going "Before Baby Yoda"? Make no sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Before Battle of Yavin (which saw the blowing up of the death star in the original movie; Yavin IV being the location of the Rebel base that the empire was attempting to vaporize).
To briefly lay out the timeline;

Phantom Menace - 32 BBY
Attack of the Clones - 22 BBY
Revenge of the Sith - 19 BBY
Solo - 13-10 BBY
Rogue One/A New Hope - 0 BBY
Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi - 4 ABY
Mandalorian - 9 ABY
Force Awakens/Last Jedi - 34 ABY
Rise of Skywalker - 35 ABY
Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Something that only just occurred to me after re-watching the first four episodes over the long weekend: I have always assumed Jawas were native to Tatooine. That made me assume the raid to capture Baby Yoda took place there but:

1. I am now pretty sure that was supposed to be a different planet than Tatooine.

and

2. We definitely see Jawas on a planet other than that Planet even if it was Tatooine.

So I guess now canonically Jawas are not native to Tatooine?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Something that only just occurred to me after re-watching the first four episodes over the long weekend: I have always assumed Jawas were native to Tatooine. That made me assume the raid to capture Baby Yoda took place there but:

1. I am now pretty sure that was supposed to be a different planet than Tatooine.

and

2. We definitely see Jawas on a planet other than that Planet even if it was Tatooine.

My understanding is that canonically, Jawas are in fact native to Tatooine, but they've spread throughout the Galaxy, or at least the Fringe. Just like Rodians and Trandoshans and Humans and so on have spread out from their respective homeworlds.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:

and

I noticed this too, so looked up Jawas on the Wookieepedia. It currently lists their homeworlds as Tatooine and Arvala-7 (which is the planet The Mandalorian finds them on). I assume this entry was updated after the airing of the episode, so canonically, it would seem this is a new development with the Jawas' location in the galaxy.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 12-03-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
More like John Ford, as Lucas stole entire sections of The Searchers for multiple of his movies.
The Star Wars series borrows a lot of stuff from a lot of different films and genres. A New Hope is basically a retelling of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore
Not to mention an episode of Doctor Who.
Probably several if you look at the whole history of the series. I'm sure Farscape and any number of Star Trek series must have had a "Magnificent Seven" episode as well.

The Viking setting of the episode you referenced would make it derivative of The 13th Warrior / Easters of the Dead by Michael Crichton. Which is derived from the classic Beowulf poem.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:57 PM

I have to say, I'm a bit bugged by Baby Yoda. Yoda always was the Grand Master kind of archetype to me, having mastered the force through years (centuries) of experience, but now it appears they're just born like that---a whole race of Chosen Ones. The new one, at least, seems to be.

Also, if we consider Baby Yoda to basically be the equivalent of a one, maybe two year old infant, then either there's some kind of growth spurt in its future development, or Yoda was at most early middle age when he died...
Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 PM

I think baby Yoda is more like 4 or 5, which would fit the decade to year age difference with Yoda dying at 900. Should be verbal by now, but maybe that species always has difficulties with language, hence Yoda's strange syntax.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:23 AM

I'm confused by the dates about BBY. I thought that the baby yoda was 50 years old not 9.

Never mind, BBY (Before Battle of Yavin). So Baby Yoda was born about 9 years before the Phantom Menace, so is about the same age as Anakin.

Last edited by Omar Little; 12-05-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

What sort of bugs me about baby Yoda is just that I had always assumed that Yoda lived to be 900 because he was so strong and in tune with the Force that he lived an unnaturally long time. We don't see many Jedi die of old age, after all. But I guess that's just a natural characteristic of the race to age extremely slowly.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Last night's South Park revolved around The Mandalorian (and had a brief shot of Baby Yoda sipping soup.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Last night's South Park revolved around The Mandalorian (and had a brief shot of Baby Yoda sipping soup.
I have not watched South Park in years. Guess I will have to check it out when it shows up on on demand.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
I have not watched South Park in years. Guess I will have to check it out when it shows up on on demand.
I watched this season and it was actually pretty funny. Randy went to China and killed Winnie the Pooh for Xi Jinping. Cartman greased himself up and ran away like a piggie to avoid his vaccinations.

It's been surprisingly fun.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
My wild-ass theory du jour is that Snoke was a botched attempt at creating a clone body for Palpatine out of the material that was extracted from Baby Yoda. It would certainly explain his affinity for the Force, how he came out of nowhere to become the leader of the First Order, and how easily he swayed Ben to the Dark Side.

Here is that scene, repeated numerous times, with....shall we say, various interpretations? Pick the one you like most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5nAtnEfa0
Old 12-06-2019, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Another solid episode, which really felt like an homage to a western I've never seen. Bringing Star Wars back to Tattoine again felt a little unimaginative, but the nostalgic cues were nice - I'm pretty sure Mando met Toro in the exact same booth where Han had his run-in with Greedo. I'm going to assume that Amy Sedaris' character was the daughter of Bea Arthur's character in the Holiday Special for no other reason than that it amuses me that the Holiday Special is now considered canon.

Who was examining Fennic Shand's body in the final scene? Could it be Boba Fett? Shand's connection to the Hutt Cartel might imply he'd have a reason to go looking for her.

Best exchange of the episode:

Toro: "Are you OK?"
Mando: "Sniper bolt. It hit me in the beskar. At this range, the beskar'll hold up."
Toro: "Wait! I'm not wearing beskar!"
Mando: "Nope."

Last edited by Smapti; 12-06-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 AM

In an astonishing display of supporting artistic integrity over raw cash grabs, Disney delayed production of Baby Yoda toys so that the reveal would be a surprise. No toys will be ready until several months after Christmas.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
In an astonishing display of supporting artistic integrity over raw cash grabs, Disney delayed production of Baby Yoda toys so that the reveal would be a surprise. No toys will be ready until several months after Christmas.
Maybe they will sell an empty box and a promise of future toys. It worked for Star Wars before.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Nice to see that the cantina has gotten over the anti-droid prejudice. And having formerly worked torturing droids for Jabba, I'm sure they won't be disturbed by serving drinks from IG droid heads.

It is really impressive the degree they go to to get props to match the originals.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:15 PM

I saw another cute meme, where Baby Yoda calls Mando "Dadalorian." I'll go with that.

So Toro started out as just an "oh, gosh" type of newbie, but stayed true to his "I don't care about the money" to the bitter end. I was surprised he shot Fennec...I thought he'd be stupid enough to remove her cuffs. But if she was this bad-ass and told by Mando to cuff herself, wouldn't she have fudge the tightness a bit so she could escape?

I missed where Mando got the money to pay for his repairs. Is that what he took off Toro's body?
Old 12-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
But if she was this bad-ass and told by Mando to cuff herself, wouldn't she have fudge the tightness a bit so she could escape?
If it were possible to do that with Mando's cuffs, he wouldn't have asked her to put them on in the first place. She wasn't his first hardass.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I missed where Mando got the money to pay for his repairs. Is that what he took off Toro's body?
Yeah. He got enough money to pay for the repairs, and then some, all of which he gave to the woman who'd been repairing his ship and watching the kid.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 PM

From her reaction, it was a lot of money. Rich kid doing it for the jollies.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:55 PM

Toro thought he was at Westworld maybe?

This ep a bit too telegraphed for my taste.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
In an astonishing display of supporting artistic integrity over raw cash grabs,
Don't discount that artistic integrity might be a cover for a different kind of cash grab.

The Mandalorian is Disney's flagship new content for their brand new streaming network. The show debuted on the opening day of Disney+. The big reveal dropped on the fourth day of the network. I would be surprised if keeping the secret isn't making them buckets of money that they would have had to sacrifice if they went after one Christmas as the hot toy.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Every single person in the cast and crew of this show, including children, have managed to successfully keep Baby Yoda a secret. I am impressed. I wonder if they are still keeping another secret: his name.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
This ep a bit too telegraphed for my taste.
They are doing deliberate homages. The Seven Samurai episode was obviously going to be a Seven Samurai episode from the pre-credits scene. Take for granted that there will (if not this season, then next) be a Yojimbo episode, too. (A Fist Full of Bescar?)
Old 12-08-2019, 02:13 AM

Jon Favreau just wanted another shot at making Cowboys & Aliens.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
If it were possible to do that with Mando's cuffs, he wouldn't have asked her to put them on in the first place. She wasn't his first hardass.
The thing with the cuffs also showed how Mando's experience in the end carried the day: Toro telling the engineer to cuff Mando, instead of having him cuff himself, was what enabled him to stage the distraction with the flare.

But in the end, I'm afraid this show needs some direction sometime soon---it's already been too much of 'Mando and Baby Yoda arrives somewhere, Bad People try to do bad things to them, Bad People get shot, Mando and Baby Yoda fly off'. The last two episodes didn't really have any effects that seem like they're gonna last---although I'm holding out hope that all the people met (and left behind) along the way will have some role to play in the end.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Don't know if everyone has seen this - when they were filming, they were prepping to reshoot a Baby Yoda scene without the puppet, so they could do him in CGI instead if they decided the puppet wasn't working. Warner Herzog told Favreau and Filoni "You are cowards. Leave it." It's got to be both thrilling and terrifying for a director to have Herzog tell you you're a coward.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Don't know if everyone has seen this - when they were filming, they were prepping to reshoot a Baby Yoda scene without the puppet, so they could do him in CGI instead if they decided the puppet wasn't working. Warner Herzog told Favreau and Filoni "You are cowards. Leave it." It's got to be both thrilling and terrifying for a director to have Herzog tell you you're a coward.
This is the guy who made a movie about hauling a steamship over a mountain by... hauling a steamship over a mountain.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
This is the guy who made a movie about hauling a steamship over a mountain by... hauling a steamship over a mountain.
And not to mention the movie about a guy getting eaten by a bear...
Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe they will sell an empty box and a promise of future toys. It worked for Star Wars before.
Favreau did that on purpose. Cool of Disney to back him up.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
God, I can hear that voice now.

God.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Favreau did that on purpose. Cool of Disney to back him up.
Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Baby Yoda plushie, with a ship date in May. I've got my order in.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

A heist episode? (snaps fingers) You son of a bitch, I'm in!

It was kinda funny seeing this week's episode so soon after Rick and Morty deconstructed the genre so effectively, but it was still enjoyable. Bill Burr is basically playing himself as a Star Wars villain. I loved the scenes of Mando taking out the droid squad, and Burk (the Devaronian) body-slamming one assault droid and tossing it at the other, as well as the fight between the two of them. The second half basically turned into a slasher movie albeit with the slasher as the good guy. Mando is definitely rubbing off on Baby Yoda, with the way he was able to keep Zero distracted for so long, and I liked the bit where he was prepared to defend himself with the Force and seemed impressed at how well he'd done before he realized Mando had blasted Zero.

I swear I saw Keegan-Michael Key as one of the prisoners onboard the Republic ship. If it wasn't him, it was someone else with his distinctive intense stare.

As a reminder, next week's episode will be debuting early, on Tuesday night (morning of the 18th), so as to avoid it coming out at the same time as the premiere of Rise of Skywalker.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:54 AM

Since you're probably wondering:

Mark Boone Junior
Bill Burr
Clancy Brown
Natalie Tena
Richard Ayoade
Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 AM

I thought it was interesting how you thought that Mando had killed the others, but it turns out in the end that he simply locked them in the same cell together. Is Mando rubbing off on Baby Yoda, or is Baby Yoda rubbing off on Mando? Maybe both. Also, we don't really know the fate of the prisoner and the guy who hired Mando.

At this rate, Mando's gonna have quite the rogue's gallery of people looking to get even with him.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Also, we don't really know the fate of the prisoner and the guy who hired Mando.
I'm pretty sure they died via Republic X-wings after Mando revealed the twist on their double-cross.

Quote:
At this rate, Mando's gonna have quite the rogue's gallery of people looking to get even with him.
Seems like he already does - the heist crew was obviously planning to turn on him from the beginning, and the story about the Razor Crest being the only ship that could do the job (despite being an obsolete piece of garbage) was a ruse.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-13-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Since you're probably wondering:

Mark Boone Junior
Bill Burr
Clancy Brown
Natalie Tena
Richard Ayoade
Also Matt Lanter (voice of animated Anakin) as the nervous guard, and the three X-Wing pilots were directors Dave Filoni, Rick Famuyiwa, and Deborah Chow.