Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I liked the bit where he was prepared to defend himself with the Force and seemed impressed at how well he'd done before he realized Mando had blasted Zero.
That SO reminded men of the car commercial where the kid-Vader's Dad remote starts the car. The way they (both kid and baby Yoda) looked at their hands...
Old 12-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
T... I'm afraid this show needs some direction sometime soon---it's already been too much of 'Mando and Baby Yoda arrives somewhere, Bad People try to do bad things to them, Bad People get shot, Mando and Baby Yoda fly off'. The last two episodes didn't really have any effects that seem like they're gonna last---although I'm holding out hope that all the people met (and left behind) along the way will have some role to play in the end.
My take is that The Kid is akin to a McGuffin. The big arc is the excuse to have mostly self-contained takes on various tropes (and is itself a riff on The Three Godfathers trope I think). The fun of this show is not going to be that big arc but appreciating the genre riffs and nods. (Many of which I fear I am missing ... but still enjoy it)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Loved the latest episode! Great casting!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Mando is definitely rubbing off on Baby Yoda
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Also, those X-Wing pilots were really quick on the trigger. And seemed bored.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 PM

I really hated Tonks in this episode. She was distractingly awful. So over the top. The whole heist crew were not good actors, which was kind of a bummer because otherwise the episode was really great. (Although it's nice that with Burr in SW canon, there is someone in a galaxy far away who sounds like me.)

The part when Mando was sneaking up on Burr and it was dark and every time it was light again Mando was a little bit closer? Great directing and camera work. Very effective.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Clancy Brown is a terrific actor -- his character might have been written as kind of one note, but I thought he was fine.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
The part when Mando was sneaking up on Burr and it was dark and every time it was light again Mando was a little bit closer? Great directing and camera work. Very effective.
I commented to the spouse earlier that this one looked like a Doctor Who episode. When this scene came on, we both said at the same time, "He's a Weeping Angel!"
Old 12-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Fun note: They were directors of other episodes of the show.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:21 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Fun note: They were directors of other episodes of the show.
And, one of them (Filoni) was supervising director on the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, as well.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:46 AM

I thought the cast was fine - not very subtle, sure, but they were supposed to be playing broad archetypes. Burr especially had the bullying alpha-male asshole type down cold.

It also had this it of dialog:

Raz: He was an imperial sharpshooter.

Mando: That's not saying much.

Mayfeld: I WASN'T A STORMTROOPER!

It's also interesting to see that casual anti-Gungan racism is alive and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I commented to the spouse earlier that this one looked like a Doctor Who episode.
My wife had the exact same reaction. "Bunch of weirdos running around a spaceship" is a standard Who trope, after all.

Last edited by Alessan; 12-14-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I commented to the spouse earlier that this one looked like a Doctor Who episode. When this scene came on, we both said at the same time, "He's a Weeping Angel!"
Some of the droid guards were VERY Daleky.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I guess my canon-nerd radar went off on that scene. A flight of X-wings is reporting to a security beacon activation and they just kinda saunter into their attack? Sloppy formation, S-foils in cruise until the last second rather than weapons-hot, casual chit-chat. It's like all combat professionalism went out the window as soon as the war was won.

If they had to attack something with anti-fighter defenses (including the original prison transport), they would have been in trouble.

Last edited by gnoitall; 12-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
And, one of them (Filoni) was supervising director on the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, as well.
And directed a lot of Avatar episodes as well, probably my favorite animated show.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM

nm, double post

Last edited by gnoitall; 12-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Some of the droid guards were VERY Daleky.
Those are a callback to a background droid in the "buying R2 and 3PO" scene in ANH.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
I guess my canon-nerd radar went off on that scene. A flight of X-wings is reporting to a security beacon activation and they just kinda saunter into their attack? Sloppy formation, S-foils in cruise until the last second rather than weapons-hot, casual chit-chat. It's like all combat professionalism went out the window as soon as the war was won.

If they had to attack something with anti-fighter defenses (including the original prison transport), they would have been in trouble.
Also, maybe consider if maybe the guy on your side who set off the distress beacon is being held hostage before blowing everything up?
Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Get your mind out of the gutter, you nerf-herder.

I'll admit, though, that the funniest moment of the episode was Bill Burr seeing Baby Yoda, and asking Mando and Xi'an "Did you two make this?"
Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
It's amusing that all the jokes since the series started have been that it's Jar Jar under the helmet, and it turns out that Favreau anticipated that over a year ago when the episodes were filmed.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Interesting tidbit about Qin's actor:

"Ismael Cruz Córdova is a Puerto Rican television, stage and film actor who gained national attention playing Mando on Sesame Street."
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I gotta admit, I'll watch anything with Clancy Brown in it.

And yeah, I was watching with my kids and when the second half got underway turned to my oldest and said, "The Mandalorian's become a xenomorph."

Still, loads of fun. Favreau really knows what he's doing.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Also, maybe consider if maybe the guy on your side who set off the distress beacon is being held hostage before blowing everything up?
There was a bit of dialogue about this when the merc team was in a standoff with the New Republic officer on the bridge. Iirc, Bill Burr's character said something to the effect that the beacon would call in a New Republic strike team to blow up the transport. The impression I got was that it's not a distress beacon as in "Somebody please help me", but as in "The prisoners have all escaped, I'm as good as dead already, just home in on this signal and blow everything up."

It seems to me that's the only way the standoff makes any sense. If it were a "help me" signal, the officer should have triggered it the moment he knew the ship had been boarded. Instead, he holds it as a threat against the merc team, but seems very reluctant to use it. That makes sense if and only if he knows he's signing his own death warrant by triggering it.

On the other hand, why such a signal would be made as a small portable device instead of hardwired into the bridge controls, why the X-Wing pilots didn't seem to know ahead of time what their target was (wouldn't they have known they were being scrambled to take out a prison transport not a random space station?), and how Mando timed everything so precisely that the X-Wings would drop out of lightspeed just as he was leaving the station, and not, say, while he was still on the way there, or on board...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Remember, the X-wing commander said that the base was 'launching a gunship' or something similar as they approached. The best time to deal with that gunship was before it launched.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post

The New Republic clearly had a bad case of victory disease. That's how they wound up letting the First Order get big enough to take them out in a mere 30 years. They really should have listened to Leia.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:

My daughter and I had to pause this, we were laughing so hard. Oh, and don't EVER drop Baby Yoda again. EVER.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Burr especially had the bullying alpha-male asshole type down cold.
So he was playing himself .

Decent enough episode, but it does seem (to me) like the famous actors having cameos thing is a bit distracting.

It does seem that the show is basically: Mando and Baby Yoda have adventures. Which is fine, but it'd be nice to have some sort of larger themes at play. There are 2 episodes left in the season - maybe the finale will hint towards a move to finding out Baby Yoda's story.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I thought the cast was fine - not very subtle, sure, but they were supposed to be playing broad archetypes. Burr especially had the bullying alpha-male asshole type down cold.

I think I was laughing so hard at Mando's line I missed Mayfeld's follow-up.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Next episode is Wednesday, not Friday this week. Heads up.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:35 PM

With a final sneak-peak at TROS at the end of the ep.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And a gay joke ("His belt matches his shoes!")

Them casually blowing up the space station (which, to me, looked like it could easily have housed dozens of innocent people on it) bugged me a little.

I too wish it was a little less episodic. Is he even trying to fix the "they can track Baby Yoda anywhere" problem? Shouldn't that be priority #1? He's putting himself, Baby Yoda, and anyone else around him at risk until that's solved.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I too wish it was a little less episodic. Is he even trying to fix the "they can track Baby Yoda anywhere" problem? Shouldn't that be priority #1? He's putting himself, Baby Yoda, and anyone else around him at risk until that's solved.
They can track Baby Yoda everywhere not because some sort of secret technology or whatever, but because they're bounty hunters and tracking people is what they do. Mando is doing they only thing he can do - constantly moving around, sticking to the fringes, and hoping the heat cools down a bit.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
They can track Baby Yoda everywhere not because some sort of secret technology or whatever, but because they're bounty hunters and tracking people is what they do. Mando is doing they only thing he can do - constantly moving around, sticking to the fringes, and hoping the heat cools down a bit.
The end of episode 4 confirms they are tracking him with electronic trackers. How the trackers work is still up in the air though.

Last edited by Ashtura; 12-16-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The end of episode 4 confirms they are tracking him with electronic trackers. How the trackers work is still up in the air though.
We have no evidence that these trackers (which are standard bounty hunter gear - Mando used one himself to capture the blue guy in the first episode) have a longer range than a few hundred yards.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
We have no evidence that these trackers (which are standard bounty hunter gear - Mando used one himself to capture the blue guy in the first episode) have a longer range than a few hundred yards.
And we have no evidence that they don't. The fact is electronic tracking is definitely part of it. How does it work? Is he chipped? If he is chipped, that's something Mando should be looking into to countervail.

If Baby Yoda doesn't have a device on him, then that's a whole new tech in SW canon, and would introduce gaping plot holes to canon material.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:49 PM

I don't see how a short-range genetic scanner (which is what I'm assuming it is) is such a major deal-breaker. It could even just be an olfactory sensor - an electronic bloodhound.

Last edited by Alessan; 12-16-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And we have no evidence that they don't. The fact is electronic tracking is definitely part of it. How does it work? Is he chipped? If he is chipped, that's something Mando should be looking into to countervail.

If Baby Yoda doesn't have a device on him, then that's a whole new tech in SW canon, and would introduce gaping plot holes to canon material.
IIRC correctly, there was quite a bit of discussion in the first episode that you couldn't follow the tracker to other planets. You had to get close, then the tracker would help you home in. I think the Guild Master guy even mentions rumors about where the package is, but nothing certain.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:02 PM

The tracker has a Force-sensitive biochip. Possibly powered by tissues cultured from specimens like Baby Yoda. Therefore, it works over interstellar distances.

Bam! Headcannoned!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It does seem that the show is basically: Mando and Baby Yoda have adventures.
I think it's pretty safe to say it's Have Gun - Will Travel in space, with Mando as Paladin. It's set on the frontier, in the aftermath of a great civil war, and it's about a man with no name and a nebulous past who solves people's problems for a price.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-17-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Well, this week's episode certainly ended on a cliffhanger.

RIP Guill.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:38 AM

Am I the only one who saw the parallels to Dred Pirate Roberts (of Princess Bride fame) in this past episode? Mando has to best each of the other three characters in whatever skill was their specialty. And, as with DPR, he doesn't kill his opponents, although they would've certainly killed him.

Reasons for this: 1) Disney. 2) Shows that he's just that much better. 3) Wants them to carry on living with the knowledge that he's that much better. 4) Reappearance of one or more of those characters in future episodes.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
Am I the only one who saw the parallels to Dred Pirate Roberts (of Princess Bride fame) in this past episode? Mando has to best each of the other three characters in whatever skill was their specialty. And, as with DPR, he doesn't kill his opponents, although they would've certainly killed him.
(blinks)

I'm not sure you and I watched the same episode and/or read/saw the same book/movie titled The Princess Bride, as I'm not clear what three characters you're referring to Mando "besting", and the Dread Pirate Roberts was infamous for leaving no survivors (aside from Westley, of course.)

This episode basically paralleled the "heist movie" plot of last week's episode; Mando puts together a crew to do a job, they make a plan, and the plan comes undone when multiple double-crosses occur: Greef was planning to turn on Mando, but changed his mind after Baby Yoda saved him from the space-pterodactyl's venom; General Herzog is ready to hand over Mando and Baby Yoda when Moff Gideon has his death troopers shoot the fuck out of the space house.

I'm thinking that IG-11 is going to play a big part in saving Baby Yoda from the Imperial Remnant, thereby redeeming his attempt to kill the youngling back in the first episode and also winning Mando's trust despite his hatred of droids.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-18-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Do you know what I'm curious of? Could've green fella stop the blast if that droid (Zi, is it?) actually fired? I imagined Matrix-like situation, where Neo stopped bullets.
But of course, it was never meant to happen.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacle View Post
Do you know what I'm curious of? Could've green fella stop the blast if that droid (Zi, is it?) actually fired? I imagined Matrix-like situation, where Neo stopped bullets.
But of course, it was never meant to happen.
Ren could do it--why not Stumpy?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Also, a foldy Tie Fighter and an Imperial Troop Transport!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Well, this week's episode certainly ended on a cliffhanger.

RIP *redacted*
Can we not do same-day spoilers please? The workday isn't even over.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM

I really don't understand why anyone would check the thread before watching the latest episode.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I really don't understand why anyone would check the thread before watching the latest episode.
Maybe they want to talk about the last episode? Thread is not about today's episode, it's about the series. The thread title isn't even marked as having spoilers, but I think if we're talking same-day spoilers you should at least use a spoiler tag. IMHO.

Last edited by Ashtura; 12-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Since this thread seems to have developed into the thread for discussing episodes, I've edited the title to warn of spoilers.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:12 PM

My kid and I SCREAMED during the arm wrestling scene. Oh boy that was unexpected and horrifying.

It's super obvious that Mando hates droids because a droid "betrayed" him and his family in some way that caused him to be a foundling, right?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
It's super obvious that Mando hates droids because a droid "betrayed" him and his family in some way that caused him to be a foundling, right?
Like all those droids slaughtering his whole community in the flashbacks?