Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Declan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie , Ontario
Posts: 5,484
Watching the speeder guys punch baby yoda was funnier than it should have been
__________________
What would Bugs Bunny say
  #252  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 AM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,798
Great finale.
  #253  
Old 12-28-2019, 02:03 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 25,358
So Cara Dune is from Alderaan, huh? I guess that helps explain her dislike of the Empire.
  #254  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,588
The scene with the two troopers seemed right out of Robot Chicken (in a good way!).

It was the previous episode but I grinned like an idiot when they showed a Troop Transport for real. Would have been even great if it made one of the sounds the toy made.

I thought that wasn't a darksaber but rather a Vibrosword. Vibro weapons were Star Wars weapons in the old West End Games RPG.

I guess Season Two will be the quest for Yoda's home planet.
  #255  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:55 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Turns out that was Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally as the two scout troopers. I thought it would have been great to have one say "these guns are terrible" so maybe the trope is rooted in bad equipment as opposed to terrible troops with bad aim. It seemed like a little too much with the weapons but it was funny nonetheless.
I had forgotten entirely about Troops until an episode review that I read (after I made the Clerks comparison) made a comparison.
  #256  
Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The scene with the two troopers seemed right out of Robot Chicken (in a good way!).

It was the previous episode but I grinned like an idiot when they showed a Troop Transport for real. Would have been even great if it made one of the sounds the toy made.

I thought that wasn't a darksaber but rather a Vibrosword. Vibro weapons were Star Wars weapons in the old West End Games RPG.

I guess Season Two will be the quest for Yoda's home planet.
Two things:

1. I'm pretty certain that was the Dark Saber from Rebels finally showing up in the live action stuff. That's bound to piss off a Mandalorian when it's known. Perhaps Moff Gideon is a fallen Mandalorian?

2. In the first few minutes of Episode 8 I turned to my oldest and said something like, "I think I could watch an entire episode of these two troopers just screwing around." and she agreed.

Digression: I find I've really enjoyed the few flashes of the people under the white armor we've seen over the last few years. Not just in The Mandalorian - though it was great - but there's a shot in Rogue One early where a storm trooper in the transport craft with Jyn Erso is just radiating that he's dirty, tired and wants his shift to end and it's all with body language.
  #257  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,655
The last we saw the Dark Saber, it was in possession of Bo-Katan Kryze, in Rebels. When Sabine Wren gave it to her, all of the Mandalorian clans pledged allegiance to her, which made her the leader of newly-reunited Mandalore. This was less than 10 years prior to these episodes of The Mandalorian, so something big has obviously happened on Mandalore in the meantime. And Mando would definitely know the significance of the Dark Saber to Madalorians.
  #258  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Two things:

1. I'm pretty certain that was the Dark Saber from Rebels finally showing up in the live action stuff. That's bound to piss off a Mandalorian when it's known.
So--not read thread in the past couple of days?
  #259  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
Oops, never mind--I see you were quoting something questioning the ID of the weapon. Without completely reading the quote, it looked like you thought you were making the first mention of the Darksaber.
  #260  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
And Mando would definitely know the significance of the Dark Saber to Madalorians.
But how would he know that without ever having heard of Jedi or The Force? It would be like "knowing the significance of Excalibur" but having never heard of King Arthur or Camelot or knights or damp tarts.
  #261  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,655
The same way many Americans know what the Liberty Bell looks like without knowing it's entire history. Mando was probably a teenager when Mandalore was united under the dark saber. Perhaps he would see it as a symbol of Mandalore rather than know it's Jedi significance.
  #262  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Personal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Beach
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Watching the speeder guys punch baby yoda was funnier than it should have been
Made me cringe.
  #263  
Old 12-28-2019, 05:55 PM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 25,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I thought that wasn't a darksaber but rather a Vibrosword. Vibro weapons were Star Wars weapons in the old West End Games RPG.
They have shown vibro-blades already. Mando's own knife was one, and the Trandoshans had vibro-axes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
This was less than 10 years prior to these episodes of The Mandalorian, so something big has obviously happened on Mandalore in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Perhaps Moff Gideon is a fallen Mandalorian?
He led an attack on Mandalore that he called the Night Of 1000 Tears. He basically destroyed the Mandalorians and stole the darksabre.
  #264  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Watching the speeder guys punch baby yoda was funnier than it should have been
I know it was supposed to be funny and maybe someday I could watch it and laugh, but I SCREAMED at my tv "YOU FUCK FACE!" in front of my kid. The kid was mildly traumatized by the other remaining Mandalorian's taking out of the storm troops. That was a little graphic, but also pretty awesome.

It definitely felt like a Taika joint.

I don't know shit about EU and didn't get more than a few episodes into Rebels, but I thought that black light saber was cool and dangerous so even us not in the know picked up on it being not just a regular normal thing.

I wasn't looking forward to another season, however much I enjoyed this one, of them running from bounty hunters and all that. Going from system to system looking for yodas? While probably also dodging bounty hunters and Giancarlo? A subtle difference that I can get behind.
  #265  
Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 AM
thelurkinghorror is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 14,204
"C'mon baby, do the magic hand thing!"
  #266  
Old 12-29-2019, 02:52 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
"C'mon baby, do the magic hand thing!"
To which Baby Yoda responds by waving at him.
  #267  
Old 12-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,588
Yeah I completely forgot about the Darksaber stuff from Rebels. That's definitely what that was.
  #268  
Old 12-29-2019, 10:46 AM
gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The same way many Americans know what the Liberty Bell looks like without knowing it's entire history. Mando was probably a teenager when Mandalore was united under the dark saber. Perhaps he would see it as a symbol of Mandalore rather than know it's Jedi significance.
My reading of the canon is that the Jedi angle to Darksaber's history ends about a thousand years ago. After that, it's just the weapon of the Manda'lor (the leader of the Mandalorians).

I'm sure the "elementary school history" version of its tale is entirely about Mandalor. Scary sorcerers that were opponents of Mandalor as often as allies need not be mentioned.
  #269  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:29 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,422
Loved the last episode and the whole season. I hope this convinces Disney that "small scale" stories, just about the fates of individuals rather than of governments and galaxies, can be just as compelling, when executed well. The Star Wars universe is big enough for many such stories -- I'd love to see them give Joss Whedon the chance to do the kind of Firefly-esque smuggler/spacer story he's probably been dreaming of for decades.
  #270  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Infovore's Avatar
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Loved the last episode and the whole season. I hope this convinces Disney that "small scale" stories, just about the fates of individuals rather than of governments and galaxies, can be just as compelling, when executed well. The Star Wars universe is big enough for many such stories -- I'd love to see them give Joss Whedon the chance to do the kind of Firefly-esque smuggler/spacer story he's probably been dreaming of for decades.
I play Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMO based in the SW universe. The Mandalorian felt like an adventure from that game--and that's a good thing. SWTOR is fantastic at immersive storytelling, and allows you to play not just Jedi and Sith, but bounty hunters, smugglers, Imperial Agents, and other "smaller" characters, each with their own compelling story. I agree with you that the Star Wars universe is huge and lived-in and has room for tons of interesting stories about people who aren't Skywalkers.
  #271  
Old 12-29-2019, 12:42 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 52,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Loved the last episode and the whole season. I hope this convinces Disney that "small scale" stories, just about the fates of individuals rather than of governments and galaxies, can be just as compelling, when executed well. The Star Wars universe is big enough for many such stories -- I'd love to see them give Joss Whedon the chance to do the kind of Firefly-esque smuggler/spacer story he's probably been dreaming of for decades.
I agree. Pity it's never going to happen. The Mouse is all about the bucks, and small, intimate series on Netflix or Disney+ don't make the scratch a badly written, badly acted, abysmally directed trilogy of movies does.
  #272  
Old 12-29-2019, 01:00 PM
DigitalC is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,310
I hope what they learned is to put people in charge that know what the fuck they are doing. The Mandalorian isn't a success because its a small scale story, its a success because its damn good.
  #273  
Old 12-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,655
If Star Wars became a franchise of Disney+ series and the occasional made-for-streaming movie, I'd be supremely happily. As long as they're as good as the TV stuff they've already put out (Resistance notwithstanding).
  #274  
Old 12-30-2019, 09:26 AM
gdave is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 312
IIUC, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are supposed to be Disney-era canon and in continuity with The Mandalorian. However, the portrayal of Mandalorians in each of the three series is wildly inconsistent with the others.

Here's my headcanon/fanwank attempt at reconciling them:

Centuries (millennia?) ago, the Mandalorians were a warrior culture known and feared throughout the Galaxy. They frequently came into conflict with the Old Republic and the Jedi Order. However, over time, they were defeated, not necessarily so much militarily as culturally. During the long peace of the Old Republic, a culture built entirely on war just wasn't viable.

The Mandalorians settled down on the planet Mandalore and gradually became a primarily agricultural society. By the time of the Clone Wars, the clan structure, while it still existed, had been weakened, and Mandalore was ruled by a Duchess.

In response, militant Traditionalists formed a terrorist organization, the Death Watch, to undermine the new sociopolitical order and to try to re-establish the old ways. However, like many "traditionalist" terrorists, members of the Death Watch often didn't actually know all that much about the "old ways" they were trying to bring back, and picked and chose the cool parts (jet packs!) while ignoring the more difficult and problematic aspects (you can't ever remove your helmet in the presence of another living creature, Mandalorians reproduce primarily if not exclusively by adopting "foundlings" aka war orphans).

Meanwhile, a splinter faction of ultra-traditionalist Radicals didn't just include those difficult and problematic elements of "the Way", they emphasized them. They didn't get much immediate traction, and were a fringe of a fringe, but the successive traumas of the Clone Wars, the fall of the Old Republic, and the rise of the Empire changed that.

A decade after the Clone Wars, the Death Watch essentially won. The Modernist political structure disintegrated along with the Old Republic, and the clan leaders reclaimed power. Most of them followed some form of the Death Watch's ideology, adopting the cool bits of the Way (rule by clan elders, a warrior ethos, jet packs!) and ignoring the inconvenient bits. Some clans, though, adopted the Radical approach to the Way.

The Imperial Security Bureau interfered in Mandalorian clan politics, in part to divide and conquer, and in part to gather intelligence on the Mandalorian political and cultural leadership. ISB Agent Gideon oversaw these operations, which culminated in the "Night of 1000 Tears", when the ISB and Imperial Stormtroopers purged Mandalore of clan leaders, Beskarsteelsmiths, other social/political/cultural leaders, and basically anyone who was wearing Mandalorian battle armor. ISB Agent Gideon captured a Mandalorian cultural artifact, the Dark Saber, during the Purge, and for his efforts was promoted to Moff.

Most "Mandalorians" were just farmers trying to get by, and most of them just kept their heads down during the Purge, got on with farming, and tried to survive. Some Traditionalists fled to the Fringe and the Outer Rim, and made their way as bounty hunters and mercenaries. Some Radicals also managed to flee, establishing "Coverts" on planets in the Fringe and Outer Rim, and tried to maintain "the Way" while surviving as bounty hunters and mercenaries.

The Empire mostly ignored the surviving Mandalorians as long as they just worked as individual free-lancers; it was only when they discovered a functional Mandalorian "covert"/colony that could serve as a point of organized resistance that the Empire would act against them. To survive, the Coverts adopted a policy of only allowing their people to go out and act as individuals, and to conceal the existence of their Coverts, which they continued even after the fall of the Empire and the establishment of the New Republic, since Imperial Remnants continued to persecute them and the Republic were traditional enemies.
  #275  
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 PM
carlb is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palmetto Bay, FL
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
IIUC, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are supposed to be Disney-era canon and in continuity with The Mandalorian. However, the portrayal of Mandalorians in each of the three series is wildly inconsistent with the others.

Here's my headcanon/fanwank attempt at reconciling them:

Centuries (millennia?) ago, the Mandalorians were a warrior culture known and feared throughout the Galaxy. They frequently came into conflict with the Old Republic and the Jedi Order. However, over time, they were defeated, not necessarily so much militarily as culturally. During the long peace of the Old Republic, a culture built entirely on war just wasn't viable.

The Mandalorians settled down on the planet Mandalore and gradually became a primarily agricultural society. By the time of the Clone Wars, the clan structure, while it still existed, had been weakened, and Mandalore was ruled by a Duchess.

In response, militant Traditionalists formed a terrorist organization, the Death Watch, to undermine the new sociopolitical order and to try to re-establish the old ways. However, like many "traditionalist" terrorists, members of the Death Watch often didn't actually know all that much about the "old ways" they were trying to bring back, and picked and chose the cool parts (jet packs!) while ignoring the more difficult and problematic aspects (you can't ever remove your helmet in the presence of another living creature, Mandalorians reproduce primarily if not exclusively by adopting "foundlings" aka war orphans).

Meanwhile, a splinter faction of ultra-traditionalist Radicals didn't just include those difficult and problematic elements of "the Way", they emphasized them. They didn't get much immediate traction, and were a fringe of a fringe, but the successive traumas of the Clone Wars, the fall of the Old Republic, and the rise of the Empire changed that.

A decade after the Clone Wars, the Death Watch essentially won. The Modernist political structure disintegrated along with the Old Republic, and the clan leaders reclaimed power. Most of them followed some form of the Death Watch's ideology, adopting the cool bits of the Way (rule by clan elders, a warrior ethos, jet packs!) and ignoring the inconvenient bits. Some clans, though, adopted the Radical approach to the Way.

The Imperial Security Bureau interfered in Mandalorian clan politics, in part to divide and conquer, and in part to gather intelligence on the Mandalorian political and cultural leadership. ISB Agent Gideon oversaw these operations, which culminated in the "Night of 1000 Tears", when the ISB and Imperial Stormtroopers purged Mandalore of clan leaders, Beskarsteelsmiths, other social/political/cultural leaders, and basically anyone who was wearing Mandalorian battle armor. ISB Agent Gideon captured a Mandalorian cultural artifact, the Dark Saber, during the Purge, and for his efforts was promoted to Moff.

Most "Mandalorians" were just farmers trying to get by, and most of them just kept their heads down during the Purge, got on with farming, and tried to survive. Some Traditionalists fled to the Fringe and the Outer Rim, and made their way as bounty hunters and mercenaries. Some Radicals also managed to flee, establishing "Coverts" on planets in the Fringe and Outer Rim, and tried to maintain "the Way" while surviving as bounty hunters and mercenaries.

The Empire mostly ignored the surviving Mandalorians as long as they just worked as individual free-lancers; it was only when they discovered a functional Mandalorian "covert"/colony that could serve as a point of organized resistance that the Empire would act against them. To survive, the Coverts adopted a policy of only allowing their people to go out and act as individuals, and to conceal the existence of their Coverts, which they continued even after the fall of the Empire and the establishment of the New Republic, since Imperial Remnants continued to persecute them and the Republic were traditional enemies.
You worked out a more detailed backstory than I have gotten around to, but this is generally the way I was thinking about it. In fact, I can see the events of "Rebels" prompting the Imperial crack-down; a newly "nationalistic," united, and militaristic Mandalore would have to be brought to heel, so Gideon comes in and shows them the Empire's way of dealing with too-proud societies. He takes the Darksaber as a final act of humiliation/subjugation of what's left of Mandalore, and the more radical sects of Mandalore disperse and go into hiding.
  #276  
Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
IIUC, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are supposed to be Disney-era canon and in continuity with The Mandalorian. However, the portrayal of Mandalorians in each of the three series is wildly inconsistent with the others.

Here's my headcanon/fanwank attempt at reconciling them:

Centuries (millennia?) ago, the Mandalorians were a warrior culture known and feared throughout the Galaxy. They frequently came into conflict with the Old Republic and the Jedi Order. However, over time, they were defeated, not necessarily so much militarily as culturally. During the long peace of the Old Republic, a culture built entirely on war just wasn't viable.

The Mandalorians settled down on the planet Mandalore and gradually became a primarily agricultural society. By the time of the Clone Wars, the clan structure, while it still existed, had been weakened, and Mandalore was ruled by a Duchess.

In response, militant Traditionalists formed a terrorist organization, the Death Watch, to undermine the new sociopolitical order and to try to re-establish the old ways. However, like many "traditionalist" terrorists, members of the Death Watch often didn't actually know all that much about the "old ways" they were trying to bring back, and picked and chose the cool parts (jet packs!) while ignoring the more difficult and problematic aspects (you can't ever remove your helmet in the presence of another living creature, Mandalorians reproduce primarily if not exclusively by adopting "foundlings" aka war orphans).

Meanwhile, a splinter faction of ultra-traditionalist Radicals didn't just include those difficult and problematic elements of "the Way", they emphasized them. They didn't get much immediate traction, and were a fringe of a fringe, but the successive traumas of the Clone Wars, the fall of the Old Republic, and the rise of the Empire changed that.

A decade after the Clone Wars, the Death Watch essentially won. The Modernist political structure disintegrated along with the Old Republic, and the clan leaders reclaimed power. Most of them followed some form of the Death Watch's ideology, adopting the cool bits of the Way (rule by clan elders, a warrior ethos, jet packs!) and ignoring the inconvenient bits. Some clans, though, adopted the Radical approach to the Way.

The Imperial Security Bureau interfered in Mandalorian clan politics, in part to divide and conquer, and in part to gather intelligence on the Mandalorian political and cultural leadership. ISB Agent Gideon oversaw these operations, which culminated in the "Night of 1000 Tears", when the ISB and Imperial Stormtroopers purged Mandalore of clan leaders, Beskarsteelsmiths, other social/political/cultural leaders, and basically anyone who was wearing Mandalorian battle armor. ISB Agent Gideon captured a Mandalorian cultural artifact, the Dark Saber, during the Purge, and for his efforts was promoted to Moff.

Most "Mandalorians" were just farmers trying to get by, and most of them just kept their heads down during the Purge, got on with farming, and tried to survive. Some Traditionalists fled to the Fringe and the Outer Rim, and made their way as bounty hunters and mercenaries. Some Radicals also managed to flee, establishing "Coverts" on planets in the Fringe and Outer Rim, and tried to maintain "the Way" while surviving as bounty hunters and mercenaries.

The Empire mostly ignored the surviving Mandalorians as long as they just worked as individual free-lancers; it was only when they discovered a functional Mandalorian "covert"/colony that could serve as a point of organized resistance that the Empire would act against them. To survive, the Coverts adopted a policy of only allowing their people to go out and act as individuals, and to conceal the existence of their Coverts, which they continued even after the fall of the Empire and the establishment of the New Republic, since Imperial Remnants continued to persecute them and the Republic were traditional enemies.
To an extent, the Mandalorians as portrayed in the series seem inspired by Sikhism. Their cultures are both militant out of necessity, born out of oppression and persecution, and a constant need to defend oneself against outsiders. Not everyone who is born of Mandalore accepts the creed, just as not every Sikh undergoes baptism. A Mandalorian who comes of age forsakes his given name, much like a baptized Sikh adopts the surname Singh/Kaur in place of their own. The Mandalorian creed obliges them to carry weapons and never remove their helmet in the presence of another, just as a Sikh is obliged to carry a knife, wear a turban and carry a comb to protect their unshorn hair and beard, and wear an undergarment so he is never unprepared for battle.

It may just be coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if Favreau & company had intentionally done it that way.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-31-2019 at 12:42 PM.
  #277  
Old 12-31-2019, 03:46 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 23,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
You worked out a more detailed backstory than ...
... is likely any of the writers on any of the loosely related projects ever have.

Honestly I think they'll toss out a fan service bit like the Darksaber bit but great concern about staying Disney SW universe internally consistent between the cartoons and the television show? Not getting that sense. Not in a corporate environment that had the last three movies in the same universe!
  #278  
Old 01-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,885
No joke, I'm ordering the Werner Herzog Funko Pop doll once it comes out.
  #279  
Old 01-01-2020, 07:29 PM
DigitalC is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,310
Dave Filoni was the creator and show runner of Clone Wars, Rebels and executive producer of The Mandalorian, I imagine the differences between the mandalorians on each show are intended.
  #280  
Old 01-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Digression: I find I've really enjoyed the few flashes of the people under the white armor we've seen over the last few years. Not just in The Mandalorian - though it was great - but there's a shot in Rogue One early where a storm trooper in the transport craft with Jyn Erso is just radiating that he's dirty, tired and wants his shift to end and it's all with body language.
Also, a shout out to these two First Order troopers for spotting a dangerous trope and avoiding it.

Last edited by Miller; 01-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
  #281  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
I like it when they point out what everyone else has already notuced, like the terrible aim of stormtroopers. And (minor spoiler) in a recent Resistance episode, someone comments on how stormtrooper armor saved their life, and someone else said "Really? I've never heard of stormtrooper armor saving anyone from anything!"
  #282  
Old 01-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 8,181
I just watched this. I had little interest in paying for yet another streaming service, but not everyone in my household feels similarly. And I wasn't going to not watch it if was on.

I liked it. Better than the movie they just made. I was worried that it was going to be "bounty hunter of the week" after episode 4. I prefer shows that are less episodic. But I guess there were only like three stand-alone adventures like that.

I'm probably fucking annoying to watch with. "What's that alien? Have we seen that before? Do you know that planet? Is that like that thing in that other show/movie? Are you sure this isn't Tatooine? Because that's where those glowy-eye gnomes live. How did they get here? They don't have space ships. What's a Moth? The Mandalorean in that cartoon takes her helmet off! You're so smoove, not like the sand."
  #283  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,588
So were Jango and/or Boba Fett actual Madalorians or just wannabes who cooped the armor?
  #284  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:05 PM
gdave is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
So were Jango and/or Boba Fett actual Madalorians or just wannabes who cooped the armor?
At this point, with all of the retconning and Disney disregarding so much of the Expanded Universe material, who knows?

But, in the early days of the Expanded Universe, Boba Fett was a Mandalorian. In fact, the term "Mandalorian" enters Star Wars canon specifically in reference to Boba Fett, in EU material expanding on his character and background.
  #285  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM
ISiddiqui is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,025
From the wookiepedia:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

Quote:
Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[7] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but his exact history was unknown, much to Fett's enjoyment. While he did wear Mandalorian armor,[1] officials of Mandalore disavowed any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8] However, Fett's armor itself was fashioned from durasteel alloy, while most Mandalorian armor was made from beskar. In most other respects it was the same as the gear that had been designed hundreds of years prior.[1]
So... apparently wannabes.
  #286  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:23 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 17,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
From the wookiepedia:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

So... apparently wannabes.
Apparently so, barring any canonical evidence one way or the other.

One should note that a lot of entries on Wookieepedia, like that one, are divided into two pages: "Canon" (which is the section from which you quoted) and "Legends" (information from now non-canonical or Expanded Universe sources, like old comic books, novels, etc.)

However, even on the "Canon" page, none of the "was Jango a Mandalorian or not" information is from the movies or TV shows themselves; they appear to be either from books published around the time of AotC, or maybe from the old StarWars.com. All of the above, of course, was published before Disney bought Lucasfilm (and de-canonized the Expanded Universe), and so, as gdave notes -- unless and until Disney puts out something that establishes the answer to the question, one way or the other, "apparently" is still the best we know.
  #287  
Old 01-02-2020, 04:13 PM
gdave is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I just watched this. I had little interest in paying for yet another streaming service, but not everyone in my household feels similarly. And I wasn't going to not watch it if was on.

I liked it. Better than the movie they just made. I was worried that it was going to be "bounty hunter of the week" after episode 4. I prefer shows that are less episodic. But I guess there were only like three stand-alone adventures like that.

I'm probably fucking annoying to watch with. "What's that alien? Have we seen that before? Do you know that planet? Is that like that thing in that other show/movie? Are you sure this isn't Tatooine? Because that's where those glowy-eye gnomes live. How did they get here? They don't have space ships. What's a Moth? The Mandalorean in that cartoon takes her helmet off! You're so smoove, not like the sand."
I don't know how much of the above is tongue-in-cheek and how much is genuine curiosity, but...

"Are you sure this isn't Tatooine? Because that's where those glowy-eye gnomes live. How did they get here? They don't have space ships."

They're Jawas. They do live on Tatooine - but so do humans, and going by the Mos Eisley canteen scene, so do a lot of other races. Other than the fact that we first see Jawas on Tatooine, there's no particular reason to think they're native to Tatooine, and no reason at all to assume they don't have space ships, or that they can't hitch a ride. They appear to be pretty wide spread in Expanded Universe material. But, no, that's not Tatooine, just another desert planet in the middle of nowhere that happens to have some Jawas.

"What's a Moth?"

It's a Moff, which is an Imperial rank of some sort. The movies don't establish much about how the Empire's rank structure works, but Moff appears to be some sort of neo-aristocratic rank. The first movie features Grand Moff Tarken - he appears to outrank all of the other Imperial officers, and treats Darth Vader almost as a subordinate, or at least as more or less an equal. Vader's position isn't actually very clear in Star Wars, but by the end of Return of the Jedi, we know he's Palpatine's apprentice, commands a fleet of Star Destroyers, and seems to outrank everyone around him other than the Emperor himself, so if a Grand Moff is on more or less equal footing with him, a Moff is apparently a pretty high rank.

"The Mandalorean in that cartoon takes her helmet off!"

See my fanwank for this discrepancy (among many others) in post #274
  #288  
Old 01-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
At this point, with all of the retconning and Disney disregarding so much of the Expanded Universe material, who knows?

But, in the early days of the Expanded Universe, Boba Fett was a Mandalorian. In fact, the term "Mandalorian" enters Star Wars canon specifically in reference to Boba Fett, in EU material expanding on his character and background.
True. I knew even as a kid that what he wore was called Mandalorian Armor but it was basically just a word. Like how Sith was just a word back then. None of that stuff got filled in until much later.
  #289  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
True. I knew even as a kid that what he wore was called Mandalorian Armor but it was basically just a word. Like how Sith was just a word back then. None of that stuff got filled in until much later.
I don't have a site for this, and its possible that it's a false memory, but I remember hearing when I was a kid (probably between the release of Empire and Jedi) that Boba Fett's armor was from an extinct culture that had opposed the Jedi, and that his armor was specifically designed to let a non-Force user go toe-to-toe with a Jedi, but that Boba Fett himself wasn't one of these "Mandalorians," just a bounty hunter who found an antique suit of armor and started using it himself.
  #290  
Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 11,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I don't have a site for this, and its possible that it's a false memory, but I remember hearing when I was a kid (probably between the release of Empire and Jedi) that Boba Fett's armor was from an extinct culture that had opposed the Jedi, and that his armor was specifically designed to let a non-Force user go toe-to-toe with a Jedi, but that Boba Fett himself wasn't one of these "Mandalorians," just a bounty hunter who found an antique suit of armor and started using it himself.
All I remember from that time is that if it wasn't for the goddamn Micronauts, the Boba Fett action figure would have had a cool rocket launcher on the back.
  #291  
Old 01-06-2020, 07:50 AM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,444
Don't go dissin' the Micronauts, now. I loved them about 1981 or so.

Re: Sabine and the armor?

I'd include in gdave's wankery, above, that Mandalore's warrior ethos has people who subscribe to it in more and less ways.

However, with the destruction of Mandalore, those who are still out there have become radicalized and become the strictest of the strict in terms of the 'old ways' as such provides a higher survival rate.

In terms of the 'Night of 1000 tears'? Let's face it. The Mandalorians almost fought the Jedi to a standstill using nothing but good armor and high spirits. It makes perfect sense that the emperor would think that's a culture one cannot leave lying around. They're going to get up to no good - from the Empire's point of view - and a preemptive strike is probably the best thing. The mopping up is apparently still going on but an overwhelming use of force is a good idea.
  #292  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 17,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
All I remember from that time is that if it wasn't for the goddamn Micronauts, the Boba Fett action figure would have had a cool rocket launcher on the back.
It wasn't the fault of the Micronauts. It was due to several incidents in late 1978, in which small children had inhaled or swallowed toy rockets from Battlestar Galactica toy ships; one of the children had died as a result.

Link: http://theswca.com/textf/toydeath.html
  #293  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 11,432
Huh, I stand corrected. I knew someone had died, but I always thought it was a Micronauts toy (which I also had a ton of).
I have to say though, I don't remember the Boba Fett mail in coupon being quite so... suggestive. Possibly because I was 11 at the time.
  #294  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Infovore's Avatar
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
It wasn't the fault of the Micronauts. It was due to several incidents in late 1978, in which small children had inhaled or swallowed toy rockets from Battlestar Galactica toy ships; one of the children had died as a result.

Link: http://theswca.com/textf/toydeath.html
Yeah, those were a bad idea. I had both of them as a kid and they were pretty cool, but the rockets were definitely small enough to be choking hazards.
  #295  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Also, a foldy Tie Fighter and an Imperial Troop Transport!
Old and improved.
  #296  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,655
Reportedly, Rosario Dawson will be playing Ahsoka Tano in season 2. https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/ro...an-1202219409/

Spoiler from Rebels:

SPOILER:
Last we saw her at the end of Rebels, she was cruising around the galaxy with that other famous Mandalorian, Sabine Wren. I wonder if we'll be seeing Sabine too.
  #297  
Old 03-22-2020, 06:58 PM
N9IWP is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeast MN
Posts: 6,470
Ninja-Ed. I am looking forward to that spoiler.

Brian
  #298  
Old 03-22-2020, 08:16 PM
gdave is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 312
I'm working my way through all of the episodes a second time. Something that really struck me the second time through is how efficient they are. As a streaming series, it's able to avoid network bloat. Each episode is as long as it needs to be, instead of needing to stretch to fill the time slot. And the season is as long as it needs to be, instead of needing to stretch to fill a network season. There are no filler episodes. No filler scenes. There aren't even really any filler shots. Virtually every second of every show drives the story and the action forward. It's also pretty much the opposite of the Netflix bloat approach.

I now really, really want to see Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni show-run a Marvel TV series.
  #299  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:05 PM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 25,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
There are no filler episodes. No filler scenes.
Interesting that you say that. Many would disagree. They'd say the Cara Dune episode in the village, and the Tatooine episode with Amy Sedaris were both filler, maybe the Bill Burr ep in the prison ship too. Though they introduced a character or two, or expanded on lore, they otherwise had little bearing on the main arc.

I personally didn't mind them, they did have a lot of great moments, and hey, it's only season 1, they're still finding their feet. I'll cut them some slack as they figure out how this new frontier of Star Wars works best.
  #300  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:14 PM
galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Reportedly, Rosario Dawson will be playing Ahsoka Tano in season 2. https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/ro...an-1202219409/

Spoiler from Rebels:

SPOILER:
Last we saw her at the end of Rebels, she was cruising around the galaxy with that other famous Mandalorian, Sabine Wren. I wonder if we'll be seeing Sabine too.
SPOILER:
Seems logical - she was very connected to the Darksaber in Rebels.
If Ahsoka and Sabine are still looking for Ezra, that would certainly give them a reason to be out on the Fringe, where The Mandalorian is taking place.
__________________
Salvator apiae.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017