Old 11-10-2019, 06:24 PM

Fireball Whiskey mini-bottles and toothpicks with dental floss

Why am I starting a Pit thread about these two items? Because it seems I can't go anywhere without seeing the bottles by the side of the road, and the toothpicks in the parking lot.

Doesn't anyone throw these in the garbage? I kinda sorta understand the whiskey mini-bottles (they want to drink it and don't want the people they live with to know about it) but floss picks? Just pitch them, mmmmkay?

(I've probably made a couple dollars off the mini-bottles I've picked up while walking in my neighborhood. Maybe the people at the grocery store think I'm an alcoholic, but I'm not.)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 PM

I have noticed the flosspicks in parking lots, as well. Weird.
The most numerous thing I see on parking lots is hair elastics.

When I was volunteering at the highschool I started picking up pencils. In the span of a school year I had a shoe box full. I tried to donate them to a few teachers. They were not interested. They all had boxes of pencils from their classrooms.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-10-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Many years ago when those little dental floss picks showed up, I said to whoever I was with that they would be the new cigarette butts and we'd be seeing them all over the place. Sure enough within a few months, they were everywhere.
My theory is that people carry them around and use them under the impression that a quick floss here and there will give them perfect looking teeth. They're small and convenient and disposable so people keep them in their car. After they use them, they get chucked out the window because they don't want used dental floss in the car.
It may not be a good reason, but IMO, it's the/a reason.

As for the whisky, I've never seen those in the road. What I do see, however, is a lot of beer cans. I just assume that the vast majority of those (especially near stoplights and freeway offramps) are from people drinking in the car and then tossing the can out so if they get pulled over, they don't end up with an open container charge on top of the DUI.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 PM

I also see a lot of energy drink cans around here.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Two of the more common ingredients in the new Brady Bunch method of making meth. You can get the dental picks for free almost everywhere, you don't even need to have teeth. The mini bottles of Fireball are because who the hell would drink that shit anyway? A weak 10 volt battery and some black electrical tape and you are on your way.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 PM

I think (by number of items) I see more cigarette butts than all other litter put together. I seldom see people throw anything from their car except butts, see it happen everyday.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM

As far as the whiskey goes, they should just make those bottles edible, like some kind of Willy Wonka thing. That litter is no more.
The dental floss thing? Edible probably won't work for that. Here's all the shit you just plucked out of your teeth. NOW EAT IT!
I just don't know how to get the people who toss plastic out of their car windows to decide against doing that. As a young, optimistic, naive person I used to believe that the average person had an average level of intelligence, and that an average level was pretty good. But, as recent Presidential elections have shown me, the average level of intelligence is actually quite fucking stupid.

Last edited by bobot; 11-10-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 AM

At least cigarette butts are biodegradable.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
At least cigarette butts are biodegradable.
Well sort of but it takes a very long time and they do a lot of damage on the way https://theconversation.com/cigarett...-plants-119958
Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why am I starting a Pit thread about these two items? Because it seems I can't go anywhere without seeing the bottles by the side of the road, and the toothpicks in the parking lot.

Doesn't anyone throw these in the garbage? I kinda sorta understand the whiskey mini-bottles (they want to drink it and don't want the people they live with to know about it) but floss picks? Just pitch them, mmmmkay?

(I've probably made a couple dollars off the mini-bottles I've picked up while walking in my neighborhood. Maybe the people at the grocery store think I'm an alcoholic, but I'm not.)
I got out of mu car in a parking lot last week and noticed four Fireball minibottles that had been flattened by cars. Four! It made me wonder why so many were there.

Maybe somebody was cleaning out their back seat.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I had no idea this beverage was so popular. Does the cinnamaldehyde make one's breath smell less boozey or something?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 AM

At first I thought the thread title was some sort of attempt at a blues tune.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I had no idea this beverage was so popular. Does the cinnamaldehyde make one's breath smell less boozey or something?
Some people use tobacco, some ethanol, some methamphetamine, some oxycontin, some smoke weed and some eat THC gummy bears.

And some people drink cinnamaldehyde.

Pick your poison.

(Personally, I think Jim Beam Kentucky Fire is a superior cinnamon bourbon, if you want cinnamon in your bourbon or whiskey, but I can't find it anymore. I will drink Fireball from time to time. I also eat white sugar and use real butter. In small amounts none of that will be too harmful in an otherwise healthy lifestyle.)

Last edited by Broomstick; 11-11-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
The only people I know that drink fireball use it to cover-up weed odor on their breath.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The only people I know that drink fireball use it to cover-up weed odor on their breath.
I'd think that if you're in a position where you need to hide the fact that you're high (assuming you're expected to be sober), covering it with alcohol might not be the best idea.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I'd think that if you're in a position where you need to hide the fact that you're high (assuming you're expected to be sober), covering it with alcohol might not be the best idea.
No, these are people who are "allowed" to be drunk, but would be in some serious trouble over cannabis. Think people 18-25 living with their parents.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, these are people who are "allowed" to be drunk, but would be in some serious trouble over cannabis. Think people 18-25 living with their parents.
That makes more sense. I was thinking more along the lines of people at work or school.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Worst version of "My Favorite Things" ever.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Well, I know what song I'm parodying next.

I have found empty small bottles of booze when cleaning up the store, but no toothpicks. In my decades of walking, I'd say cigarette butts and empty cigarette packs are about half of all litter.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-11-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:34 PM

condoms
Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there'd be significantly fewer discarded mini-bottles along the roads in places where weed is legal.

Quick! Who wants to volunteer to study this? (Not it!)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
condoms
The one time in my life that I've found a used one in a public place was about a month ago, in my apartment parking lot.

(vomit smiley)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Don't you mean 21? In Iowa, you can get beer at 19 under some circumstances, but you have to be 21 to buy hard liquor.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Don't you mean 21? In Iowa, you can get beer at 19 under some circumstances, but you have to be 21 to buy hard liquor.
There is a difference between being able to drink legally and getting in trouble for drinking (unless the law gets involved, then they are the same).

Many moons ago my parents wouldn't have cared (much) that I was underage drinking, but would have blown a gasket over pot.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Many moons ago my parents wouldn't have cared (much) that I was underage drinking, but would have blown a gasket over pot.
Whereas in my house, when my dad would get a new pipe, he would give me his old one.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:44 AM

I think this may be the most oddly-specific pitting ever. I don't even know what the items are that the OP is talking about. I'm happy to accept they may be an issue and glad they got it off their chest but it is having limited global traction.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey

floss picks

You are now enlightened.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey

floss picks

You are now enlightened.
Thanks....I think....if anything that knowledge just makes the scenario even more weird.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:07 AM

The list goes on (according to talktotransformer.com):

Sugar cube candies with lollipops

Tofu "jelly"

Gelato/strawberry cream pie

Hershey's Kisses

Peanut butter

Cheese sticks

Candy

Candy/sugar packets

Candy/sugar cubes

Ice cream cones

Candy/sugar cubes/ice cream scoop

Candy/sugar cubes/ice cream scoop/candy/sugar packet

Candy/sugar packet with plastic lid

Gummy worms

M&M's with candy

M&M's with plastic lid

Strawberry candy/sugar cube

Lollipops

Strawberries

Peppermint candy

Chocolate candy/sugar cube

Nilla Wafers

Gummy worms

Chocolate chip candy
Old 11-12-2019, 06:09 AM

(Cue the Blazing Saddles reference... “I like Gummy Worms!”)
Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post

Two of the more common ingredients in the new Brady Bunch method of making meth.
Can you link to this, because it sounds like absolute bullshit. There's nothing in those ingredients good for making meth. On the other hand, "Brady Bunch method" definitely sounds like a drug-scare urban legend name. It doesn't even turn up on Google.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 AM

People get tiny alcohol bottles for these reasons:

1. They're alcohol dependent and don't trust themselves with larger bottles.
2. It's all they can afford because they aren't planning their buys well. (I know it's more cost-effective to save up for a big bottle, but I need 2 shots RIGHT NOW).
3. Drink them "on the go". They're easy to keep in a purse or pocket, you can drink them on the train or in the bathroom. Or in the car... easy to toss a bottle if the cops stop you.

Folks with this mindset aren't real conscientious about littering, so that's why they toss them. The metro train tracks in my town are littered with small alcohol bottles.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 AM

I tasted this stuff once and, to me, it tasted like crap. I poured the rest of the bottle down the sink. Fireball has a strong and nasty odor. It also tasted very sweet to me, and not very "whiskyish" at all. Yuck!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Apropos of nothing, I just want to note that I once worked in an old factory where our business shared space with a company that made those "floss picks". They made special floss picks for kids (to encourage them to floss, I guess) in the shapes of dinosaurs. There was a huge pile of discarded faulty dino picks outside.

would've been interesting to see dino picks and fireball whiskey minis.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's just the parking lot you hang out at, (and the roads you walk down). I haven't noticed these things, myself.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I notice the floss picks myself around here. The weird thing is they aren't even good at actually flossing. The front teeth are always easy to floss with any implement but the back teeth are even harder to reach with a pick than with a bare string. I guess they are more convenient in a car than a box of string if you really can't wait until you get home to floss.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
As far as the whiskey goes, they should just make those bottles edible, like some kind of Willy Wonka thing. That litter is no more.
Edible wax bottles exist:

Nik-L-Nip
Just replace the syrup with Fireball.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Edible wax bottles exist:

Nik-L-Nip
Just replace the syrup with Fireball.
Damn, that could be your first million right there! Just crank out tiny wax six-packs with assorted booze.

Then bring out breast-shaped ones: Nik-L-Nip-L's!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Damn, that could be your first million right there! Just crank out tiny wax six-packs with assorted booze.

Then bring out breast-shaped ones: Nik-L-Nip-L's!
My WAG is that alcohol might dissolve the wax from inside so I don’t know if it’s feasible to put actual whiskey in them. But maybe there’s some way to do an alcoholic cinnamon-flavored gel. I’m no chemist or Willy Wonka so I’m not sure if it could work.

I do know that if edible wax bottles of whiskey existed I’d buy them.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:06 PM

A follow-up since I spent a couple minutes on Google (which makes me a certified expert now), carnauba wax (which most edible waxes include) is not soluble in alcohol.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...y/carnauba-wax
So damn this might be feasible. As long as you don’t let them get too warm.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It's a chewing gum.
No, It's a car polish.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Btw, you can get a bucket of 20 fireball flyers...

https://images.app.goo.gl/xKzuFtkxQUWygPeY7

...though id rather just have a fifth, if i were to drink that shit....anymore...
Old 11-12-2019, 02:24 PM

My problem with the stuff is the same problem I have with Jagermeister and Red Bull. "Kids These Days" are drinking stuff that they know doesn't taste good.

And by "kids", I'm including immature "bros" who have to drink a few (light) beers before they get the great idea to do shots of wicked-tasting crap.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My problem with the stuff is the same problem I have with Jagermeister and Red Bull. "Kids These Days" are drinking stuff that they know doesn't taste good.

And by "kids", I'm including immature "bros" who have to drink a few (light) beers before they get the great idea to do shots of wicked-tasting crap.
The drink of choice in my youth was pernod and blackcurrant, rum and peppermint or sambuca, I therefore don't feel qualified to comment on the drinkability of current choices. Plus my wife loves trying all sorts of weird and wonderful alcoholic herbal tinctures when she's skiing and her current tipple is Ramazotti which is basically cough medicine.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
condoms
Ugh. One of my dogs once snarfed up a used condom on the street before I could pull him away. Damn. That dog would eat anything. Had to pull it out of his mouth.

Disgusting!!!!!! Where's the barfy emoji?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
It's a chewing gum.
No, It's a car polish.
"New 'Shimmer" is a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"

https://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ishimmer.phtml
Old 11-13-2019, 12:37 PM

A close friend of mine actually started a Facebook group called “Feral Flossers” to help document all the errant flossers out there. Check it out if you’d like to be a member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2115683938560616/

As for the Fireball bottles, that shit is everywhere. Pigs.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:01 PM

I've never seen anything of that sort.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Little clear plastic tubes of cigarette filters (for hand-rolling) - seems like their reason for existence is to be discarded on the side of the road
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 PM

I’ve had shots of Fireball and I don’t know what the hate is about. It actually tastes good, rather than something that tastes like burning. But I like sweet things and hate most straight alcohol so YMMV.

I just so happened to notice one of those floss picks on the subway platform tonight. Weird.