Old 03-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Ah, thank you. I'd forgotten about Rebecca.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The real problem with Mesa Verde's call center plan is that Tucumcari is a horrible choice, location-wise. Other than being a Rt 66 tourist stop with some nice murals and an iconic hotel (the Blue Swallow), it just doesn't have much going for it. (no offense to any Tucumcarians out there)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Was the bowling ball buying at the beginning a flash forward? If not, how did Saul know that he would get that offer and then want to use them that way?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Was the bowling ball buying at the beginning a flash forward? If not, how did Saul know that he would get that offer and then want to use them that way?
I believe it was a flash forward, occurring sometime after his meeting with Howard.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Yes, it was definitely a flash forward - it had the same feel as other flash forwards that they've done, and Saul was wearing the same outfit that he was for the post-sleep parts of the episode. If it wasn't a flash forward, then he would have had to wear a particular outfit, buy the (very expensive) bowling balls for no discernible reason, then later go home, take off the outfit to go to sleep, then put it back on the next day for his lunch with Howard and still have it looking crisp and clean. I am quite confident that Saul isn't going to wear the same outfit two days in a row, he has a ton of clothes (he discussed closet space issues in E1) and wearing the same shirt multiple days in a row in New Mexico heat just isn't the kind of image he wants to project.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 AM

I don't really understand the bowling-ball throwing scene at the end ... is he that pissed off with Howard? Does he want to stress-test Howard's new Zen mentality? Is it somehow psychologically connected to the beer bottle extravaganza of the night before?

I was also unreasonably nervous that someone was going to come out after the car alarm went off and get whacked in the head with the third bowling ball

That all seemed a little dark for current-stage Jimmy
Old 03-11-2020, 05:37 AM

I think the bowling balls are a setup for something. We're meant to believe that Jimmy is angry at Howard after their lunch, but he didn't really give a shit. He was just dismissive of the idea of working at HHM. When Jimmy buys that bowling balls he isn't acting angry or impulsive; he just casually browses for something heavy and throwable.

I think the bowling ball stunt will somehow tie into whatever scheme Jimmy is running for Acker the grumpy Mesa Verde tenant.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:14 AM

You guys were right - Kim is getting deeper into shenanigans as a lifestyle/business culture.

In fairness to her, she did have another go at finding a legit solution, but it was a long shot. (And given that she was speaking out of turn, and she did force her opposite number at Mesa Verde to call Rich Schweikart about her non-attendance, I'm wondering if there's going to be some professional consequences for going out on a limb like this).

But when that failed, she couldn't let it lie. For all the "rules matter, who are you to break them?" speech, Kim is now going outside the rules to get what she wants. It's the lesson Jimmy keeps teaching her - even in the courtroom scene she watched him pull a fast one, get what he wanted, and skate. Her resolve is weakening.

But if Kim is losing it, Jimmy is throwing it away. (Do we start calling him Saul yet?) The end of last season and creation of Saul was the big cathartic moment when he abandoned any notion of being the kind of lawyer Chuck would even grudgingly approve of and embraced monkey-with-a machine-gun-ism. To have Howard come and offer a path back to "respectability" isn't a compliment or affirmation, it's an attack on who he's chosen to be. He has to believe that there is no path back, and if one appears he needs to dynamite a massive hole in it. Howard, yet again, has tried to help a McGill brother and suffered the repercussions.

Other people who are on the slide include Mike (who is now wounded and lost) and Gus, who is taking out the stress of losing all that money - and risking an important lieutenant - on an innocent night-shift manager.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
In the last ep Saul had a client charged with robbery, the victim made a absolute positive ID only for Saul to note that the actual defendant was sitting in the back of the courtroom and nbot at the defense table. I know I've seen that bit before, anybody know where?
Coincidentally, my wife and I are binging Boston Legal right now. Over the weekend we saw an ep from the 3d season, in which the William Shatner character is accused of having done that. But that show was from 2006 or so, so I doubt that was what you remembered. That was a fun ep, because they used clips of an old show Shatner had been in in IIRC 1957, as flashbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaus View Post
...Gus, who is taking out the stress of losing all that money - and risking an important lieutenant - on an innocent night-shift manager.
I wasn't sure what was going on there. For some reason, I suspected he wanted the manager there as an alibi. But I don't try to read too much into this show anymore. I know several people think it jam-packed and that it moves along, but to my mind, it really drags.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Thats a man..........................................................................fucking a horse!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:00 AM

I have to say I've enjoyed seeing Barry Corbin again- it seems like its been awhile ! He's almost unrecognizable except for his voice which is unmistakable.

Jaime
Old 03-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I wasn't sure what was going on there. For some reason, I suspected he wanted the manager there as an alibi. But I don't try to read too much into this show anymore. I know several people think it jam-packed and that it moves along, but to my mind, it really drags.
I wouldn't say the show is crammed full of action. A lot of what it does is to explore the minutiae of people's lives and how these experiences shape them. I find it very engrossing, precisely because of that. I find it really gets you under the skin of the characters.

In that scene, I did wonder about the alibi - and that might have been Gus's rationale - but I think we were just witnessing the control freak in action. Some really important shit was going down - Gus needed his guy to convincingly make it seem like he'd made the DEA stakeout instead of being forewarned, to lose the money, and to escape the dragnet. He was powerless to do anything about that. All he could do was sit and stare at the phone, willing it to ring. For Gus, the ultimate control freak, this situation is unbearable and so he exerts what control he can by bullying Lyle over a fryer - which was, basically, fine.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Thats a man..........................................................................fucking a horse!
I mean, this is the other reason I love the show.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say the show is crammed full of action. A lot of what it does is to explore the minutiae of people's lives and how these experiences shape them. I find it very engrossing, precisely because of that. I find it really gets you under the skin of the characters.

Yeah - I know a lot of people say that. I don't get it, but different strokes...

I coulda done w/o repeated shots of them spitting out toothpaste. I think some of those scenes are - at least in large part - the makers being cute. "What if we shot this one thru the small mirror? Hey, no one else spends so much time on tooth brushing!"

I keep watching it because I enjoy the Jimmy character, and feel the show give some of the most true-to-life (albeit somewhat exaggerated) representations of my chosen profession. (No, not drug dealing! Something even LESS reputable! )
Old 03-11-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure what was going on there. For some reason, I suspected he wanted the manager there as an alibi.
Nah, Gus has zero use for an alibi. No one in law enforcement suspects that he's involved with the drug trade, so no one is going to try to pin down his location. And he's not a street-level dealer, so even if Hank figured out who he is 5 years early, they'd know he's the guy giving orders and raking in cash, not the schmuck putting cash into a pipe at 3AM. Lyle would also be a terrible alibi for him, since Lyle is Gus's subordinate (so his testimony is suspect) and Lyle doesn't know he'd need to cover for Gus, so would honestly describe Gus's unusual behavior. For Lalo, he knows for sure that Gus isn't out there poking around in dead drops himself, Lalo would only be concerned that Gus knew about his scheme and gave orders, that Gus gave orders from his office instead of somewhere else wouldn't make a difference.

When Gus does want an alibi in BB, he goes to a public place and has respectable people see him there laughing and smiling.

Last edited by Pantastic; 03-11-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
The real problem with Mesa Verde's call center plan is that Tucumcari is a horrible choice, location-wise. Other than being a Rt 66 tourist stop with some nice murals and an iconic hotel (the Blue Swallow), it just doesn't have much going for it. (no offense to any Tucumcarians out there)
I thought they said their goal was to make Tucumcari a "company town". So, the call center wouldn't be the only thing out there in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
I have to say I've enjoyed seeing Barry Corbin again- it seems like its been awhile ! He's almost unrecognizable except for his voice which is unmistakable.
I was trying to remember where else I had seen him recently. He was an old war vet in an episode of "Young Sheldon". Sheldon's mom is tasked by the minister to go check on him since he is a shut-in. He had basically the same bad attitude in that role too.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-11-2020, 09:56 AM

So I'm sure everyone thinks Mike is in Mexico (almost assuredly due to the "yellow" filter on the camera) but I'm guessing most people think Gus took him there.

I'm thinking it was Lalo on behalf of Hector Salamaca. I think they see Mike spiraling down and want him to "flip" on Gus (or at least get some inside information).

What do you all think?

MtM
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Nah, Gus has zero use for an alibi. ...
Yeah - good points. But absent that, I didn't see reasons for him acting that way. I don't have familiarity with him from BB. It struck me as out of character for him to be so out of control as to unnecessarily beat up on a helpless manager.

He's shown himself to be ruthless and decisive enough. Given his HUGE plans, I would have thought that once he decided upon his course of action, it wouldn't cause him to act out of character. Instead, he now has an employee of his cover business who thinks his boss extremely unreasonable. Where is the upside in that?
Old 03-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeath_the_Mad View Post
So I'm sure everyone thinks Mike is in Mexico (almost assuredly due to the "yellow" filter on the camera) but I'm guessing most people think Gus took him there.

I'm thinking it was Lalo on behalf of Hector Salamaca. I think they see Mike spiraling down and want him to "flip" on Gus (or at least get some inside information).

What do you all think?

MtM
I don't think it's in Mexico. There's a lot of NM that would look the same.

But I was thinking the same thing: that it was Lalo that took him there. He's the only one who's been following him (or trying to), and with Mike's drinking, he's probably getting sloppy about checking for the tail.
I would doubt Lalo is trying "turn" Mike - more likely just trying to get more info on Gus and Gus' plans.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:07 AM

Every time they show the chicken restaurant, I marvel that thus far, we haven't seen anyone's head forced into a vat of boiling oil. For that, I am deeply thankful. Gus' lackey slaving away in that kitchen certainly dodged a bullet.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Well, if that's your thing, watch the first series of the UK programme Spooks (broadcast in the US as MI-5). It happened in the second episode.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah - good points. But absent that, I didn't see reasons for him acting that way. I don't have familiarity with him from BB. It struck me as out of character for him to be so out of control as to unnecessarily beat up on a helpless manager.
I don't see why you'd say it is at all out of character. Even just within this show, Gus is clearly an obsessive control freak who is used to executing his own plans. When his plans are in disarray from Lalo and he can do nothing about it, he lashes out in a minor way at Lyle. This is a guy who tortured an animal to death for stealing food from him - he didn't kill it to keep it away (which is pretty normal), he tortured it for revenge even though it doesn't understand the concepts of stealing or revenge. And when we include Breaking Bad, we see him slit his subordinate's throat when he can't punish the two people who's throats he would actually like to slit.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
I initially thought the old man was played by Wilford Brimley but apparently I am mistaken.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeath_the_Mad View Post
It feels to me like it is too direct to comply with 'leave Gus alone' orders and too nice and planned out to fit with the Salamanca tendency towards extreme, spur of the moment action and brutal violence. I wouldn't say that it's impossible for the doctor to be Lalo's man, but it isn't what I think happened. I also can't see Gus leaving Mike without a tail, it's clear to Gus that Mike is losing his grip and unreliable. I don't see Gus letting the Salmancas take Mike out of the country, I think his tail would have orders to kill Mike rather than let that happen.

Also: (I tend to spoiler stuff about future episodes even though this is a spoiler-allowed thread)
Quote:
The next episode is called "Dedicado a Max". I suspect from the title that Mike is going to get a lot of Gus's backstory here, which makes more sense to me if he's being treated by Gus's doctor
Incidentally, your wording sounds like you think Lalo is taking orders from Hector. My impression is that Lalo is helping at Hector's request, sharing information and taking advice, but that he's a peer in the family hierarchy. People like the cousins or Tuco do take orders from Hector, but Lalo is more like another manager brought in to fix a problem.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I initially thought the old man was played by Wilford Brimley but apparently I am mistaken.

It was Maurice from Northern Exposure.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I don't see why you'd say it is at all out of character. Even just within this show, ...
Thanks. I've said before that the limited number of shows and widely spaced seasons causes me serious problems keeping up. OK - so Gus is a crazy unpredictable fuck.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Well, if that's your thing, watch the first series of the UK programme Spooks (broadcast in the US as MI-5). It happened in the second episode.
My 'thing'? Do you have trouble parsing sentences? I said I marvel it hasn't happened, which I am deeply thankful for.

Glad you had more luck in searching out a deep fryer scene, though, enjoy.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Every time they show the chicken restaurant, I marvel that thus far, we haven't seen anyone's head forced into a vat of boiling oil. For that, I am deeply thankful. Gus' lackey slaving away in that kitchen certainly dodged a bullet.
You don't need to have any fears on that score. The restaurant(s) are Gus's legit cover and he is painstaking at keeping that business isolated from the criminal enterprise. He would never allow any kind of violence, still less cranial deep-frying, to happen on those premises.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
You don't need to have any fears on that score. The restaurant(s) are Gus's legit cover and he is painstaking at keeping that business isolated from the criminal enterprise. He would never allow any kind of violence, still less cranial deep-frying, to happen on those premises.
That's what I figured. But if he was not able to restrain himself from convincing his trusting manager that he is irrational and unreasonable...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
In the last ep Saul had a client charged with robbery, the victim made a absolute positive ID only for Saul to note that the actual defendant was sitting in the back of the courtroom and nbot at the defense table. I know I've seen that bit before, anybody know where?
Turns out this is a real thing that has happened, but pretty rare as judges tend not to like it:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/29/u...s-a-price.html
Old 03-12-2020, 03:53 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
In the last ep Saul had a client charged with robbery, the victim made a absolute positive ID only for Saul to note that the actual defendant was sitting in the back of the courtroom and nbot at the defense table.
It surprises me if a defendant is not required to acknowledge they are present in the courtroom and identify themselves before the trial starts.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM

I never watched "Boston Legal" so it couldn't have been there. Maybe Matlock did it once.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I never watched "Boston Legal" so it couldn't have been there. Maybe Matlock did it once.
I'm pretty sure that on the Boston Legal ep they said it was an oft-used trope, and actually cited Matlock and Perry Mason.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:26 AM

Judges may not like it, but I think it should be a regular feature of courtrooms as eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
It surprises me if a defendant is not required to acknowledge they are present in the courtroom and identify themselves before the trial starts.
I thought that maybe the ringer did say he was ... whoever the name of the real defendant was. And that this was why the judge was so mad
Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
I thought that maybe the ringer did say he was ... whoever the name of the real defendant was. And that this was why the judge was so mad
It probably wouldn't be difficult during the trial process to have the defendant and the ringer switch places sometime after the defendant might have to identify himself and before the witness testifies.

Shenanigans like this might work in the short term but very quickly the local judges are going to all find out about it and Saul's going to get less and less leeway in court and from DAs, I figure is what would happen.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Shenanigans like this might work in the short term but very quickly the local judges are going to all find out about it and Saul's going to get less and less leeway in court and from DAs, I figure is what would happen.
I'm confident that by the BB era, Saul is well-known to all of the judges and DAs in the area and anyone they talk to about their experience. He's already started getting that reputation and he's only been working as Saul for like two weeks (if I'm estimating the time right).

Last edited by Pantastic; 03-13-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:16 PM

So is Kim being led to the dark side? Or when is she going to get off the ride? How does this bode for her ending? Probably not well?

Will we see a Gus Fring back story episode next? And what did Kim see at Kevin's "boring" home?

So how does Saul know the PI again? From the Hummel heist? Wasn't he also the loudmouth bodyguard for Squat Cobbler who Mike disarmed? And also Trevor from GTA V?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:13 AM

So who was Max?

And what did Kim see in the photos, and what was her play in publicly confronting the other lawyer?

Last edited by Dinsdale; 03-17-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So who was Max?
Gustav's best friend, possible lover, and original partner in drug manufacturing, whom Hector Salamanca killed years ago.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
So who was Max?
The guy Hector Salamanca killed at Don Eladio's pool in Mexico in a flashback in Breaking Bad, which started Gus's whole revenge obsession.

When Gus tells Mike he understands revenge too, is he talking about the crooked cops in Philly? If so, how did he know about them? Or is it something else?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
So is Kim being led to the dark side? Or when is she going to get off the ride? How does this bode for her ending? Probably not well?

Will we see a Gus Fring back story episode next? And what did Kim see at Kevin's "boring" home?

So how does Saul know the PI again? From the Hummel heist? Wasn't he also the loudmouth bodyguard for Squat Cobbler who Mike disarmed? And also Trevor from GTA V?

Kim is taking herself to the dark side - Saul is fine with leading her there, but he was clearly willing to wrap things up and stop for her sake. I don't think this ride ends well for her. I think what she saw at Kevin's house was some art that looks just like the Mesa Verde logo, and it probably has a copyright violation.

Yeah, Trevor (don't remember his name in the show, but that's his GTA V character) was the bodyguard who got throat punched back in season 2. Saul contacted him through the vet ('I know a guy who knows a guy') when Mike was unavailable. He wasn't the one from the Hummel heist, that was Ira (who does have a beard). I suspect that Ira only does thefts and not all of the rest of the PI stuff that Trevor did.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
When Gus tells Mike he understands revenge too, is he talking about the crooked cops in Philly? If so, how did he know about them? Or is it something else?
Since Gus is looking into bringing Mike into his organization as a major player, I'm sure he hired a PI in PA to look into Mike's background. Hiring a PI to look into someone is going to cost a few hundred dollars (maybe a few thousand?) while having local guys tail Mike 24/7 costs (or ties up guys worth) way, way more. A PI would certainly find that Mike's kid died while on patrol with a cop, then that cop and his partner died just before Mike left the state since that's all public record stuff. Gus could easily connect the dots - there's no hard evidence linking Mike to the murders so there's nothing for cops to charge him with, but Gus isn't trying to formally charge Mike with anything.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Kim is acting really self-destructive - I think that's part of why she stays with Jimmy, they both seem to handle stress in a similar, unhealthy way. I can't see this track ending well for her - Schweikart is already suspicious, and if Jimmy pulls some kind of direct attack on Kevin then Mesa Verde is going to be really pissed and looking for a target. I'm surprised that they tried to pass off Jimmy getting involved as 'well, he's been advertising a lot, Acker must have seen an ad' - it would be much more believable to me if they used the closer-to-the-truth story that Kim came home and vented about having to evict an old man (which I don't think would violate confidentiality), and that Jimmy then got a wild hair up his ass about big money pushing around poor people. No one would fault her for venting about an unpleasant situation, it makes Jimmy's involvement seem like a natural result of circumstances instead of a suspicious 'coincidence', and it makes her trying to push the alternate site more defensible (she's been trying to avoid a conflict she doesn't want to have, rather than the alternate site being her real goal).

I think this marks a major change for Kim, previously while she might be willing to blow off Mesa Verde, she's never done anything to betray their interests, now she's actively working against them which is a much more major ethical violation than creating a pie video. I think her reaction to Trevor is really telling - she's a bit surprised at all of the underhanded stuff, but she doesn't even flinch when he suggests taking Kevin out in the desert in a van, she's completely into what she found in his boring office. I suspect the show runners wanted to bring back Kuby (the guy who was with Huell in a lot of BB scenes) as the PI, but Bill Burr has posted publicly that they wanted him in this season but he wasn't able to commit to filming because of a friend's death. I think Trevor worked well there, we get to see that he's not just an incompetent blowhard but can actually do useful work (though he does have a propensity towards violence).

I really like that all of the slick, wealthy lawyers (other than Chuck) are actually decent people - it would be really easy to make them all assholes who look down on Jimmy the way he thinks they do, but it's much more interesting the way the show has done it. Schweikart is clearly trying to quietly save her from a potentially very costly mistake, and even tried to make her plan work in spite of his misgivings. Kevin (not a lawyer, but big money) was willing to give Kim a chance at a job that should have been overwhelming, and trusts her beyond what he should. Whatever Kim doesn't like about her current situation, getting into the situation in the first place is entirely on her and Jimmy - she didn't need to make a major push to work for people she doesn't like, and even then she only got the job because Jimmy pulled the number switch on Chuck. If they had just let things take their natural course, Mesa Verde would have gone with HHM and would be fine now (maybe switched firms during the Chucksplosion, but still fine), and Kim could be doing whatever she wants. Jimmy might be a 'monkey with a machine gun', but Kim seems to be a 'vixen with a silenced pistol'.

Mike's part of the episode was mostly development - I think seeing the memorial village is good for him, but I think BCS should actually give some background on Max. I loved the bit where Mike went through one of his 'making stuff' montages to hack together a charger and the lady just drops a regular charger for his phone on top of the mess. I liked watching these scenes, but I'm ready to see Mike move forward.

Howard still wants to hire Jimmy, so I'm guessing he either doesn't realize who dropped the bowling balls or thinks of it as 'well, that's the price I pay for screwing Jimmy for Chuck's sake'. Something is going to happen with that job offer, but I'm not sure what.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:59 AM

I think what Kim saw in the photos was the cowboy logo for Mesa Verde - gonna be some kind of copyright infringement issue. The next time we see Kim, she's in her office on her laptop and the same logo is visible on her screen.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 AM

The charger thing seems anachronistic, in retrospect. It was a good scene, but I remember cell phones in 2004. Every single one had a different charger. I knew several people who worked at hotels, and they'd keep a box of abandoned chargers behind the desk in case a customer forgot theirs, and fairly often someone would have a phone that didn't work with any of the maybe two dozen chargers in the box. Though if you had a common model, it was easier to find the one you needed. Did anybody recognize the model of Mike's phone?
Old 03-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Kim is taking herself to the dark side - Saul is fine with leading her there, but he was clearly willing to wrap things up and stop for her sake. I don't think this ride ends well for her. I think what she saw at Kevin's house was some art that looks just like the Mesa Verde logo, and it probably has a copyright violation.

Yeah, Trevor (don't remember his name in the show, but that's his GTA V character) was the bodyguard who got throat punched back in season 2. Saul contacted him through the vet ('I know a guy who knows a guy') when Mike was unavailable. He wasn't the one from the Hummel heist, that was Ira (who does have a beard). I suspect that Ira only does thefts and not all of the rest of the PI stuff that Trevor did.

So throat punch guy was Simon from the Walkjng Dead (Negan’s right hand man for a time).
Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The charger thing seems anachronistic, in retrospect. It was a good scene, but I remember cell phones in 2004. Every single one had a different charger. I knew several people who worked at hotels, and they'd keep a box of abandoned chargers behind the desk in case a customer forgot theirs, and fairly often someone would have a phone that didn't work with any of the maybe two dozen chargers in the box. Though if you had a common model, it was easier to find the one you needed. Did anybody recognize the model of Mike's phone?
Mike's phone was an LG, made by Motorolla.

I'm guessing that whatever charger was needed, Gus had them supplied because of his network of people all using burner phones, so he knew which chargers would be needed.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The charger thing seems anachronistic, in retrospect. It was a good scene, but I remember cell phones in 2004. Every single one had a different charger.
I didn't take it as anachronistic, I took it as a sign of Gus's thoroughness. I think that Gus arranged for them to have the correct charger for Mike's phone so that Mike could get back in contact with Gus when he was better and to avoid Mike feeling like he was trapped. The fact that they're casually doing international calls might be anarchonistic though, I think that you had to do a bit more to set that up, and Jimmy would have gotten a message about extra charges. OTOH people near the border might make a point of setting up their phones to work in Mexico.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:56 AM

How does Kim know Bob Loblaw? Did I miss a crossover episode?