Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:46 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,074

Let your mini-rants march on!


Well, folks. I managed to wait until it was 1 March even in Hawaii this time.

What rants do you want to muster up? Here are mine thus far:

The COVID-19 situation is getting more serious, yet the current administration cannot see it through any other lens than "how does this bolster Mr. Orange?"

Next, airlines waiting until literally the last minute to let their passengers know if their flights are canceled due to this health issue.

Finally, people who buy into woo medicine and cures. That's part of the reason we're in this situation in the first place!

So, muster your mini-rants and march them by!

Last edited by Monty; 03-01-2020 at 06:48 AM.
  #2  
Old 03-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,892
My cousin mentioned the other day that construction workers on his project are having trouble getting dust masks because panicky idiots are buying up all the masks to "protect" them from COVID-19. This is stupid for many reasons:

1. Wrong type of mask, idiots.
2. My cousin is in Georgia which, at last check, is on the opposite side of the continent from California and Washington state where the only reported US cases have been. (As of 3.1.20, that is.)
3. It's easier and cheaper to get a bar of soap and wash your hands.
4. Wash your fucking hands, idiots.
__________________
"I started To Reign in Hell, but was bored out of my mind." - Doomtrain
  #3  
Old 03-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,799
When was it decided that all toilet paper must come in "mega" size? Unless I want to buy the godawful cheap single-ply stuff, I'm stuck with a roll that's too large to be installed in the holder.
  #4  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:32 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
When was it decided that all toilet paper must come in "mega" size? Unless I want to buy the godawful cheap single-ply stuff, I'm stuck with a roll that's too large to be installed in the holder.
It’s a conspiracy to get you to buy a new, larger toilet paper holder. Brought to you by Big Toilet Paper Roll Holder.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-01-2020 at 02:33 PM.
  #5  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:40 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Slow-cala, Florida
Posts: 25,468
It's "mega" because they're making the cardboard cores larger to fool you into thinking you're getting more paper.
__________________
"Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof! That's my other dog imitation." - Oddball
  #6  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,492
Last Friday (I guess that was technically still February) the weather was crappy -- snowy and windy. I was expecting a postal delivery and apparently the lazy unionized mailperson's solution to the crappy weather was not to attempt delivery at all but just take it back to the local post office. The tracking info just went from "out for delivery" to "notice card left". But there was no card, and no footprints in the snow -- no one had even come to the door.

I had to call the post office to find out where it was, although that information appeared in the tracking notes shortly after. So I had to drive out to get it. Tugging at my jacket zipper to get zipped up against the wind, I broke the zipper. And it being recycling day, there was a great big recycling bin blocking my driveway, because I couldn't put it on top of the adjacent snowbank. I briefly moved it out into the street, where a gust of wind caught it and blew half the contents all over the place, which I had to pick up. Then I put it back on the driveway. When I got back, the wind had blown it over again. And my jacket is still broken.
  #7  
Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
When was it decided that all toilet paper must come in "mega" size? Unless I want to buy the godawful cheap single-ply stuff, I'm stuck with a roll that's too large to be installed in the holder.
Strange. I usually buy so-called "double rolls" to save time running around replacing them, and have never had a fit problem. They're specifically designed to be compatible with common holder configurations. Perhaps you have an unusual artistic holder design. I do have that problem with paper towels. My paper towel holder is a cute odd wooden thing I picked up at a farmer's market once whose front is a sort of sculpture of a puppy. Only regular size paper towels will fit, or the extra-large ones after they've been used for a few days.
  #8  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,837
Last Thursday, I felt so sick I thought I might actually be dying. Deluding myself that I could eat a "sensible" amount of carbs when I have type-II diabetes lead to exhaustion, brain fog, edematous legs and a blood glucose reading of 230. I finally decided nothing less than fasting is going to help at this point. It's now Day Three (3 1/2 if you count from the last time on Thursday that I ate). I am so insulin resistant now that it's taken this long for my blood glucose to fall to 106, and it'll presumably still be ten to fifteen points higher in the morning. I have had a vicious sugar-withdrawal hangover all day, and the hunger pangs keep coming. But until I see a blood glucose reading of below 90 it won't have been long enough.

Last edited by Lumpy; 03-01-2020 at 09:05 PM.
  #9  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:15 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,627
2020 has gone poorly so far, and honestly... guys? I didn't exactly have high expectations for the year going into it.

Can I pit a year on March 1st, or do I have to wait? I need a ruling!

Last edited by JohnT; 03-01-2020 at 09:18 PM.
  #10  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,052
Bugger. I didn't pass the test for the second module of the course I'm taking in indexing. I thought I'd rushed it, and I guess I did.
  #11  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Trancephalic's Avatar
Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,081
The GODDAMN CHAIN-SMOKING POTHEADS DOWN STAIRS. FUCK.

I hadn't slept well in weeks, some days not at all. I come into my room at the end of the day AND IT SMELLS LIKE SOMEONE SHOVED M-80s UP A FUCKING SKUNK'S FUCKING ASSHOLE. I call the housing department and they do JACK FUCKING SHIT, just sending out memos that of course DO FUCKING NOTHING.

I'm getting ill. My appetites gone. I'm fantasizing about taking a BLUNT FUCKING OBJECT AND--

Why oh why couldn't they just be opioid addicts.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 03-01-2020 at 09:51 PM.
  #12  
Old 03-02-2020, 01:12 AM
SurrenderDorothy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: over the rainbow
Posts: 1,557
My roommate has now lived here four months and has yet to buy toilet paper or paper towels (or laundry detergent or dish soap or hand soap or clorox wipes or sponges or trash bags or any other household item except for some toilet cleaner when she first moved in). I've asked her to, too- more because it's much easier for her to do it than it is for me than actually because I'm all that worried about the sharing of duties... but she still hasn't. The annoyance today is because I've asked her to do it several times this week and finally just did it myself today. Also, I've still been not home for the most part except late in the evening and sometimes a stop to check in on my cats right after work, so I'm mostly not the one using stuff and you would think at some point, she'd get around to the idea that she might go grocery shopping. I don't think it's necessarily something she means to do (or not do), but... the outcome is the same whether she means it or not.

The thing that gets me, honestly, about so much of this little stuff- all these little adult responsibilities that she doesn't handle- is that people keep acting like she's here to take care of me and is doing me a big favor. Like that was the whole thing when we decided she would move in: everyone going on about how it's going to be so much better for me. Let's be clear, though- I try not to think of it in these terms or make this be a thing at all, but I did not let her move in with me because I wanted or needed a roommate. There were things I struggled with, but I enjoyed living alone. It was 100% because SHE had been evicted and needed a place to go and I had enough space to accommodate her. I like her very much, but having her here doesn't really benefit me very much. She doesn't contribute a cent to the bills, very little to household expenses (although she does have a nice vacuum), and as far as helping me out with tasks I can't do, the only thing I can usually count on her for is taking the trash to the curb (which is not insignificant) and sometimes bringing cat food and litter from my car into the house. She's got an active social life and it's difficult to predict when she'll be there and when she is, she's tired and wants to chill and watch TV or she's got people with her or she's busy fighting over the phone with one of a variety of suitors. And also, between her stuff and her kid and her animals, the house is MUCH messier and there's more trash, more dishes, more work trying to keep up with the pet hair, etc. Which... removed of context, there's nothing wrong with that. But when I do ask her to help me do something, she may intend to, but 90% of the time, it's not getting done.

And yet, still, people act like she's doing something nice for me by living with me and they're sooooo glad I've got someone there to look after me. Right. Because she's definitely the adult in this situation and the one doing all the work and I'm barely capable of feeding myself and am so lucky to have her. And not that I couldn't use someone here to help out- everything really is difficult, painful, and complicated if it's possible at all and I could very much benefit from having a little backup, especially on the really bad days. But like... even an able-bodied person should reasonably be able to expect their roommate to sometimes buy toilet paper and do some of the chores, preferably without having to be asked, right?
  #13  
Old 03-02-2020, 03:50 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,074
SurrenderDorothy: Do you know why she was evicted? I'm sorry, but that just seems like a bad recipe to me.
  #14  
Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,874
Victoria Police Licensing & Regulation Division (LRD) will not issue any authorization for airsoft importation on the basis that "no genuine reason exists to own them, because there is no approved range in Victoria to undertake these war games"

(pssst. you don't need an "approved range" you could just use your own private property)

So LRD, when you say stupid things, people have a tendency to think you are stupid. How about peanuts? No genuine reason exists to own them either. Or a porsche? No genuine reason exists to own them. Ban them too.
  #15  
Old 03-02-2020, 07:57 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
SurrenderDorothy: Do you know why she was evicted? I'm sorry, but that just seems like a bad recipe to me.
She's going to leave, either soon with a clean break or later with shouting and accusations...

In the meantime, let the toilet paper run out. She doesn't have to know you're sneaking some in when you use the bathroom...
  #16  
Old 03-02-2020, 03:28 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Victoria Police Licensing & Regulation Division (LRD) will not issue any authorization for airsoft importation on the basis that "no genuine reason exists to own them, because there is no approved range in Victoria to undertake these war games"

(pssst. you don't need an "approved range" you could just use your own private property)

So LRD, when you say stupid things, people have a tendency to think you are stupid. How about peanuts? No genuine reason exists to own them either. Or a porsche? No genuine reason exists to own them. Ban them too.
You are guilty of the crime of Internet Ambiguity, since Victoria is both a major city in BC, Canada, as well as a state in Australia. It took me a few moments to figure out that you are apparently referring to the one in Australia. I agree that the rule is stupid. This is the kind of idiocy that gives gun control a bad name. Some places have restrictions on airsoft guns mainly because of their potential resemblance to real guns, but they are legal almost everywhere, provided they don't exceed some specified muzzle velocity.
  #17  
Old 03-02-2020, 04:46 PM
SurrenderDorothy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: over the rainbow
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
SurrenderDorothy: Do you know why she was evicted? I'm sorry, but that just seems like a bad recipe to me.
She didn't pay her bills, which I knew. We've worked together and been friends for a long time and she used to get her utilities shut off pretty much every month. There was always some reason that was transparently 85% bullshit, but... we legit do not make very much money. So I knew part of it was poor money management and some poor impulse control (she did usually have the money when more fun things came up), but it was also that she didn't have enough wiggle room for those things and having 100% of your money go to necessities and never being able to do or buy anything enjoyable gets really wearing. So this was... I mean, she's my friend and I couldn't let my friend be homeless or not have a safe and reliable place to come back to. And for the bills, I was already paying them. I didn't ask her to partly because I wanted to give her the chance to get back on her feet financially. And partly, it was because I knew she wouldn't and if I depended on her to pay half of things, I would constantly be fighting with her and nagging her and trying to chase it down and it would be a huge source of conflict and frustration and a lot more work and stress for me than just doing it myself and knowing it's going to get done.

It's not entirely fair to blame it all on her- my goal in this was to make sure she (and her little girl) was safe and had a place to go. And I mean, I knew who she was. I had been to her old place. I did not honestly have a lot of expectations as far as housekeeping or advanced "adulting." I expected to be looking after her a lot and like... it's worth it knowing she doesn't have to worry about having shelter and heat and food. It's more stuff like... people will call her when they want to tell me something as though I'm not capable of communicating independently or they'll ask if she's going to be home so they can drop something off like the fact that my body doesn't work right means I can't be responsible for it and like... even when I am obviously the one managing something, like when I call our landlord to tell him something needs to be addressed, it's "Okay, when will your roommate be home so I can send someone?" and like... I'm not a fucking baby, thanks. And of course she plays into it a bit because she's getting a ton of praise and people telling her what a good person she is and how they feel so much better knowing I've got someone to take care of me, but can you blame her? It's not any one person's fault- it's just frustrating and most frustrating of all is the fact that I am legitimately less capable and less useful than I was before and I have my own issues around my broken-ass body that color everything else and that I can't reasonably expect anyone else to understand.
  #18  
Old 03-02-2020, 06:12 PM
rsat3acr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
You are guilty of the crime of Internet Ambiguity, since Victoria is both a major city in BC, Canada, as well as a state in Australia. It took me a few moments to figure out that you are apparently referring to the one in Australia. I agree that the rule is stupid. This is the kind of idiocy that gives gun control a bad name. Some places have restrictions on airsoft guns mainly because of their potential resemblance to real guns, but they are legal almost everywhere, provided they don't exceed some specified muzzle velocity.
And a town of over 60,000 in Texas, USA.
  #19  
Old 03-02-2020, 07:07 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
We've worked together and been friends for a long time... that I can't reasonably expect anyone else to understand.
Well, shut my mouth and call me Smiley! I take all my worries back. You know exactly what you're doing (and what you're doing is being twice as caring and patient as I would ever be).
  #20  
Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 PM
flatlined is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: high desert
Posts: 4,441
I like to drink a certain brand and flavor of herbal tea. Other brands don't taste the same and I'm all sorts of picky and special. I opened a new package and could smell that it wasn't the same because that's just how high maintenance I am. When I checked the ingredients on the new box and compared to an older box on the webpage, I found that they had changed out 1 little tiny amount of something that nobody but an idiot like me would notice.

All I wanted was a relaxing cup of tea before going to bed, and now I'm totally annoyed.
  #21  
Old 03-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,033
A co-worker just came and "confessed" to me that she had taken a paper clip off my desk, and she wanted to come clean before I noticed. She isn't literally serious, she just needs to make a certain amount of mouth noises per hour and today, this is all she had to work with.


Yesterday, a different co-worker brought me a stack of papers that had been left by the printer for about a week. She didn't recognize any of the names in the paperwork and neither did I. She wrung her hands for a few moments, trying to decide what to do about getting the papers to their rightful owner. I dropped the papers into the recycle bin for her.


Ugh, these people exhaust me.
  #22  
Old 03-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,033
Sent email: "What is your availability to Skype or phone call today? If not today, when is your availability tomorrow?"


Recieved email: "I don't have a camera on my computer."
  #23  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:53 PM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 3,077
We’ve been traveling around the U.K.as well as Boston USS and haven’t seen one gender neutral toilet yet
  #24  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,074
I always thought USS went in front of the ship's name.
  #25  
Old 03-03-2020, 03:15 PM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I always thought USS went in front of the ship's name.
Typo received that 505 Gateway thingy when posting,
  #26  
Old 03-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Indyellen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,004
I understand taking reasonable precautions regarding COVID-19; hand washing, making sure the pantry is stocked, avoiding travel, etc. However, my Dear Husband has gone off the cliff. We now have over $200 worth of non-perishables (on top of what we already had), in addition to water, and he's thinking of getting a shotgun - in case of civil unrest or looting. Yes, we're both diabetics over 50, and he's a smoker, but we're not anywhere near any current cases. We are both relatively healthy overall, we have both had our flu shots, we have medical insurance, etc., etc. Yet DH is become a germaphobe suddenly and is afraid to go anywhere. He sits and watches the Johns Hopkins' tracking website. I'm actively worried about him, and more than slightly annoyed.
  #27  
Old 03-04-2020, 05:57 AM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyellen View Post
I understand taking reasonable precautions regarding COVID-19; hand washing, making sure the pantry is stocked, avoiding travel, etc. However, my Dear Husband has gone off the cliff. We now have over $200 worth of non-perishables (on top of what we already had), in addition to water, and he's thinking of getting a shotgun - in case of civil unrest or looting. Yes, we're both diabetics over 50, and he's a smoker, but we're not anywhere near any current cases. We are both relatively healthy overall, we have both had our flu shots, we have medical insurance, etc., etc. Yet DH is become a germaphobe suddenly and is afraid to go anywhere. He sits and watches the Johns Hopkins' tracking website. I'm actively worried about him, and more than slightly annoyed.
There we are in Northern Italy. We’ve seen a handful or so of masses about. Bringing our land lady sanitizer. Left Heathrow , the plane was almost empty. Grocery stores still have products. Yeah, there have been there are noticeable security, but there alway is here.
  #28  
Old 03-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Perhaps you have an unusual artistic holder design. I do have that problem with paper towels.
My house is only 13 years old, but the toilet paper holders have small escutcheons that protrude just enough to prevent installation of mega-rolls. No worries, though -- my mother found a single grocery store in the area that carries regular-size rolls and proceeded to buy five packs of her favorite brand, along with a couple of other brands just to give them a try. (She also made sure to let staff know that she wasn't panic buying.)

And I have that same problem with my paper towel holder -- the guide dowel on the base is fixed, so it will only accommodate a standard roll.
  #29  
Old 03-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,033
March is Gripe About Co-workers Month, it seems. Today (and actually every day, he does this all the time), a co-worker is walking around singing under his breath, "Too doo, bum bum ba ba ba de bum, da da da da da de dum", et cetera, ad infinitum. I am grinding my teeth to powder.


Am I just really bitchy this month or have they at last succeeded in DRIVING ME MAD???!!!
  #30  
Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
There we are in Northern Italy. We’ve seen a handful or so of masses about. Bringing our land lady sanitizer. Left Heathrow , the plane was almost empty.
If she was wandering around the cabin randomly spritzing things with Lysol, it's no wonder most passengers disembarked before takeoff.
  #31  
Old 03-04-2020, 10:08 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,059
I'm still seeing Bloomberg ads and anti Bloomberg attack ads, even though Bloomberg has dropped out of the race. Granted, he just made his announcement this morning, but hopefully everyone gets the memo and starts pulling the ads.

Last edited by cochrane; 03-04-2020 at 10:12 AM.
  #32  
Old 03-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Kovitlac is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 560
I've made a post about this before, but not in the Pit, and I really want to mini-Pit the asshole lady who hit my car and doesn't think she should take even the slightest bit of responsibility for it.

Let me count the ways she done fucked up:

1) Scratching up the bumper of my car

2) Being drunk off her ass

3) Not telling me about it, even though apt neighbors pointed her to my fucking door. Since I wasn't aware until the next afternoon, no cop can prove she was drunk at the time of the accident

4) Not having insurance / lying to the cop about not having insurance

Having initially heard from the cop that the lady had insurance, I got my car fixed and paid my $500 deposit (total cost was about $750). After that was when I found out, oopsie, she isn't insured after all. I'd been debating whether I want to even bother taking her to court, since she likely won't show up, and even a court order to pay won't magically fix anything. I'm tempted to get a court order, but then I'm out the cost of filing, the time of going, and she'll still likely never pay.
  #33  
Old 03-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 23,475
Mini-Rant: I swear to God, If my fucking wife says 'Corona Virus' one more fucking time.....
  #34  
Old 03-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 7,171
Came home from work, the step-cat* was at the back door and wanted in. I opened the door to let her in, and there was a dead robin on the doorstep. At least she didn't drag it inside with her.


* My stepdaughter's cat. She moved in with us temporarily a few months ago, has since moved out, but her cat is still here. We have a step-dog too!
__________________
"We can all sink or we all float
'Cuz we're all in the same big boat"

- The Police, "One World"
  #35  
Old 03-04-2020, 07:36 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,885
Did she possess a ladder when she moved in? ‘Cos that would make it a - - OW!


WHO THREW THAT?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.
  #36  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:28 AM
galen ubal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,893
Oh, my people...
I've just seen this on the internal Facebook page for the hotel I work at, from the head housekeeper:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Housekeeper
Hi guys please take Note

Due to this run on toilet rolls guest have been taking and asking for extras ��
So just so you know all rooms have 1 extra one in cupboard rooms get serviced everyday so there's no need to give them more ok
I was just at the IGA to pick up some coffee, and I swear about one in four of the shoppers had at least one nine-pack of TP - if not more.
Seriously, people? Yes, the COVID-19 is worse than flu, and there's some uncertainty and all, but...toilet paper?!? What do you think is going to happen? If these people also had stocks of nonperishable foods, bottled water, I can get that, but they don't. Just big packs of toilet paper, and maybe a few other items.
__________________
Salvator apiae.

Last edited by galen ubal; 03-05-2020 at 12:30 AM.
  #37  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:44 AM
Mom-of-Andrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Center
Posts: 241
Dammit, I was this close, thissssssss close I tell you, to being 'fever free' for an entire day and able to rejoin humanity. No temp over 100 for an *entire* day.

Then I get a reading of 100.3.

Wanting to avoid cabin fever 2.0, I think 'Hey, maybe the magic number is 100.5. Maybe I can get away with a paltry 100.3. I'll call the free insurance nurse phone line and ask'

Except there is no more insurance nurse line. As with all else these days, there's an app for that. Which connects you to an actual doc, for merely a $10 co-pay.

I bite the bullet and tap connect. But before I can ask my teensy question, Karen-the-triage-bot has a few dozen queries of her own about my symptoms.

Question nine was: Is your fever mild (below 99), moderate (99 to 100.5) or severe (100.6 or above)

No parole for me. Stuck inside the house another day.

Meanwhile the newspaper is at the edge of the yard, mocking me, because I promised the doc Monday I would not leave the house.

I guess I should be grateful I could back out of the app before it charged me
__________________
I've been 'environmentally conscious' since it was known as 'being cheap'
  #38  
Old 03-05-2020, 03:12 AM
galen ubal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,893
Oh, holy (fill-in-the-blank)...
Just got this email because I've got a rewards card for Woolworth's
Quote:
An important update on toilet paper and other essential items

Dear (galen),

I’d like to update you on the shortages we’re seeing in toilet paper and other essential items.

As you may have read, or seen for yourself, these are unusual and challenging times. We know it can be frustrating when we don’t have the products you need, or when delivery or Pick up windows are filled more than usual.

We’re working very closely with our suppliers to get products onto shelves as quickly as we can. The makers of Kleenex, Sorbent, Quilton and Woolworths own range of toilet paper have all increased their production to meet this very unusual demand.

For example, the makers of Kleenex are now manufacturing 24 hours, 7 days a week at their Millicent, SA factory, as are Sorbent in their NSW and Victorian facilities. And the makers of Quilton have tripled their normal production across their factories in Queensland, NSW and WA.

It’s worth noting that the vast majority of products aren’t affected and most stores aren’t seeing significant shortages. But to make sure everyone has access to essential items, we’ve introduced some common-sense limits to a few products. We’ve limited toilet paper to 4 packs per transaction and large packs of rice (2kg and over) to 1 per transaction. Where available, hand sanitiser is now at the Customer Service Desk and limited to 2 per transaction.

We’re constantly monitoring the situation and will do our best to keep all products freely available to everyone. However, if we see new shortages, we may introduce other limits. We’ll only do this if we think it’s absolutely necessary and to help make sure all customers can access the products they need. We’ll keep you updated in our stores and on our website as things change.

Our team members are doing the very best they can, so please support them, and each other.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this together.

Brad Banducci
CEO Woolworths Group

{emphasis mine}

Woolworth's Australia is one of the largest, if not the largest, grocery chains here in Australia. This shit has gotten way out of hand.
__________________
Salvator apiae.

Last edited by galen ubal; 03-05-2020 at 03:13 AM.
  #39  
Old 03-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,892
galen ubal, you're making me very nervous about my weekly grocery trip tomorrow. I may have to take my hiking stick in with me to knock hoarders away from the things I legitimately need because I've run out.
__________________
"I started To Reign in Hell, but was bored out of my mind." - Doomtrain
  #40  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-Andrew View Post
Meanwhile the newspaper is at the edge of the yard, mocking me, because I promised the doc Monday I would not leave the house.
I am not your doctor, nor a doctor at all - but I'd bet an extremely small amount of money that your doctor meant "don't go anywhere with other people", not "don't walk to the edge of your yard and right back inside". Especially if you have a bell you can ring while calling out "unclean! unclean!".
  #41  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:10 AM
StarvingButStrong's Avatar
StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,905
I refuse to hoard. With my constellation of illnesses (heart/kidneys/diabetes) I figure I'll contract the disease and die as soon as the virus comes within a hundred miles of me, so why would I need forty rolls of tp?
  #42  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:25 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,074
So you can go with style?
  #43  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 AM
StarvingButStrong's Avatar
StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
So you can go with style?
Booo!
  #44  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,176
I'm going to stop lending money. Years ago I lent someone money and he paid me back in dollar coins, which were a pain in the ass. I even started a pit thread about it.

A few weeks ago a guy I know approached me at the bar and told me he'd left his wallet at home. He had a few beers and told his wife he'd pick up a pizza on his way home. He borrowed $50.

After not seeing him around at all since then, I ran into him last night. He was embarrassed that he didn't have cash on him, so he wrote me a check. What the fuck am I supposed to do with a check besides lose it?
  #45  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 59,680
Yes, this virus thing has turned into mass hysteria. The store I work at sold 1,000 16 oz. bottles of Purell in three hours.

By the way, a woman waiting at a bus stop after dark is not asking to be picked up. So do not talk to me, creepy guy. I'm glad my bus came before I slugged him a good one.
  #46  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:59 AM
FastDan1's Avatar
FastDan1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dallas
Posts: 89
Very mini rant. Often seen in FB Groups (and other places as well):

"I am in need of..." - Isn't it easier to just say "I need..."?

Also, "Please delete if not allowed". Do they really think they need to give permission to the mods?
  #47  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The store I work at sold 1,000 16 oz. bottles of Purell in three hours.
And I still have never purchased it. I'd rather wash my hands with soap.
  #48  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDan1 View Post
"Please delete if not allowed". Do they really think they need to give permission to the mods?
Dear Jonathan, please delete this post if not allowed.
  #49  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
After not seeing him around at all since then, I ran into him last night. He was embarrassed that he didn't have cash on him, so he wrote me a check. What the fuck am I supposed to do with a check besides lose it?
Being the Pit you probably aren't actually looking for solutions but:

If you have your bank's app loaded on your phone, you can deposit it that way (at least for BankAmerica, and I would assume it is pretty common).

If you don't have a smart-phone, I guess put it in your wallet until the next time you go to an ATM?
  #50  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:12 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
If you have your bank's app loaded on your phone, you can deposit it that way (at least for BankAmerica, and I would assume it is pretty common).

If you don't have a smart-phone, I guess put it in your wallet until the next time you go to an ATM?
Most of the banking I do is for my business, which doesn't help. I technically have a debit card with my personal checking account, but I rarely use it and might not even remember my PIN.

I was really just ranting because of the situation. I gave the guy two twenties and a ten when he really needed cash. How he could possibly think giving me a piece of paper that I now have to deal with is ok is beyond me. Fuck.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017