Old 03-14-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Easily distracted by everything Coronavirus.

So I made blueberry quick bread. After I put it in the oven I realize I forgot the melted butter, still sitting on the stove. So I took it out and mixed in the butter and put it back in the oven.

After 20 minutes it's still rather dense. Yep. Forgot the baking soda and baking powder. Need to go back getting out all the ingredrients before starting a recipe.

I guess I'll see if I can slice it thin and make weird biscotti or something.
Whenever I do any cooking, I line up all the ingredients (including seasoning) on the counter, in the order in which I'll use them. If I don't do this, I ALWAYS leave stuff out.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

What can we do to help, Surrender?
Old 03-14-2020, 08:16 AM

We'll do anything.

Never Surrender, Dorothy!
Old 03-14-2020, 08:30 AM

We got a new landline telephone number last year when we switched to a cable bundle for TV, internet and telephone (couldn't keep the old number for....reasons). Apparently our new number used to belong to someone named Dee S*****. Ms S***** must of left a lot of unpaid bills behind; we've gotten a steady trickle of automated and live callers from debt collectors on our landline wanting to speak with her.

At least the live ones have been polite; when I tell them that we just got the number they apologize and say they'll make a note in the file about the number. The automated ones though just say "If Dee S***** isn't available or this is not Dee S***** please hang up." No option to tell them that they're wasting their time on this number, and the call just repeats itself a few weeks later.

Guess I'll have to start actually trying to talk to a live person on one of these automated calls to tell them that they're barking up the wrong tree, but I'm afraid that if I stay on the line the automated system will consider that, in some obscure way, I'm taking responsibility for Ms S*****'s unpaid bills.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Oof. SurrenderDorothy, that sucks. Being stuck in bed is relaxing for a little bit, but then the enjoyment craters. I hope the people you interact with are understanding.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I don't know protocol to set this up, but it would be my pleasure to chip in for delivery of snacks and cat food. Is that something that has to go thru the mods?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I don't know protocol to set this up, but it would be my pleasure to chip in for delivery of snacks and cat food. Is that something that has to go thru the mods?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thought I'm not comfortable asking for something like that, though, because it would make it seem like any time I talk about this, I'm secretly fishing for people to send me stuff. And I'm not- I'm just venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
We'll do anything.

Never Surrender, Dorothy!
I LOVE that stupid movie. I'm not even sure if it's actually good or not, but we had a copy when I was a kid (Why? Where did we even get it?) and I was too young to get the satire elements, but I thought the aliens were hilarious.

I appreciate just having a place to whine- somewhere sort of neutral and mine, you know? Where people don't have to read it if they don't want to, so I don't have to worry about bothering anyone and nobody is that invested in me, so I don't have to worry too much about worrying anyone and nobody is expecting anything of me, so I don't have to worry about disappointing them or being seen as incompetent for the rest of my life even if I do get better and back on my feet. I'm sure I come off as whiny and a bit dramatic and I do worry about that (I want to be stoic! And optimistic! A plucky inspiration to all who takes adversity in... er... stride, as it were, and never brings anyone else down.) but... oh well?

Otherwise, I know this sounds frivolous, but most of the stuff I need is like... I need someone to help me scoop my litterboxes and wash and change my sheets and blankets and god I would kill for a hot meal... stuff like that, where someone has to be here, and also it's a little gross or tedious or complicated and a lot to ask of someone. But otherwise? I'm anxious as hell and bored out of my mind, which is a bad combination. What I need is something to do that I CAN do. Maybe I should start a thread for this, but... I don't know, podcast recommendations? Craft ideas? Books of short stories?
Old 03-15-2020, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Y’all ever think about how we’re living during the fall of the most powerful empire in the history of the earth and we’re still expected to, like, pay rent?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM

I have a neighbor who's annoying and insane. I talk to him as little as possible, because he's always complaining and has a whiny voice. When I had a contractor build a gate for me, WN said it was on his property. Turns out he was right. I had always assumed his driveway was parallel to our property line, but it actually cuts through the lower east corner of my front yard. So, I had been mowing his property all these years and never realized it. He never complained about that!

My dogs don't like him either. They always run out through the back dog flap and bark at him when he's working in his back yard. I'll call them in just to keep things civil. But when I do he'll be looming over the fence with what looks to be a 5-hour energy throat sprayer and screaming "Shhhhuuuuuut Uuuupppppp!" and cursing at them. I don't know where he gets the idea that screaming and cursing at dogs will make them quiet down. Last time I called them in and said "You don't need to curse at them." He said they were trespassing on his property. I said what are you talking about? He said his property line extended one foot past the fence. I said are you fucking insane? Why would you build a fence one foot inside the property line? He then called me a goddamned little cunt, and I shouted back "Who you calling little? I'm a goddamned BIG cunt!" He said he was going to call Animal Control. I said "Go ahead. I'm sure they'll get a big laugh when you explain how you built your fence one foot inside the property line!" He kept ranting about them trespassing and I told him to have sex with himself and went inside.

I never needed COVID-19 to keep a social distance from him.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Y’all ever think about how we’re living during the fall of the most powerful empire in the history of the earth and we’re still expected to, like, pay rent?
I'm sure that even as the Visigoths were breaking down Rome's gates, someone was nagging a renter for back due.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
Having a very rough week. I don't know if it's just exhaustion, some kind of flare-up, or if this is my new normal. I still don't have a diagnosis and my appointment with the neurologist is not for another six weeks. Yes, I've called my doctor and yes, they've tried to get it moved up- no dice.

I've been essentially bedridden. I can get to the bathroom (but usually not without falling at least once. My poor knees are all banged up), but the kitchen is a whole different ball of wax. I'm not strong enough to hold myself up anymore and my balance and stamina are just in the toilet. When I do get up- like literally get to my feet with my crutches, not "get up" as in "go to the bank and stop at Target"- it often takes so much effort that I then don't have the energy to continue standing and fall right back down. I can't go get myself something to eat or drink, I can't properly take care of my cats, I can't go deal with my family, and I can't go to work. I do have a friend who brought me some snacks today, so I now have granola bars within reach, at least. The doc says going to the ER would probably be an extremely expensive waste of time because it's not an emergency and I have an appointment and they'll be much too busy with Coronavirus stuff and probably won't be able to do anything for me, soooooo... that's that, then.

So. However much you might imagine that this sucks, it sucks more than that. And staying in bed watching hours and hours of TV might sound relaxing, but things don't stop happening around you because you aren't able to deal with them. It's not like the world stops and your job no longer needs to be done and your bills no longer need to be paid and your house no longer needs to be cleaned and your family puts their crises on pause. Instead, it all just kind of spirals out of control while all you can do is watch helplessly.

Anyway, six more weeks til the appointment with the neurologist, which I don't think is going to be the magical turning point I (and everyone who has to deal with me) would hope for. In the meantime? I have no idea.
I'm nowhere near as bad off as you are but bad enough: increasing chronic fatigue and exercise intolerance. I'm going tomorrow to an appointment with a neurosurgeon to determine if I need cervical spine surgery, or if lesser treatments will do. Wish me luck, and here's hoping you get better too!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:48 PM

Hey you stupid asshats - every fucking month you prepare a bill on a certain date. I can see it on the pdf of the bill you e-mail to me, and it's always the same day of the month, the end of the billing cycle. So why for the love of god can't you e-mail the bill to me on a consistent date? The date on the bill is the 12th (it's always the 12th), and here we are on the 16th and you still haven't sent it. From past experience, I know I can expect the bill in my e-mail anywhere from 4 to 7 days after the date on the invoice. On rare occasions you send them 10 or so days later. The entire process should be automated. Why is it so fucked up?

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thought I'm not comfortable asking for something like that, though, because it would make it seem like any time I talk about this, I'm secretly fishing for people to send me stuff. And I'm not- I'm just venting.

I LOVE that stupid movie. I'm not even sure if it's actually good or not, but we had a copy when I was a kid (Why? Where did we even get it?) and I was too young to get the satire elements, but I thought the aliens were hilarious.

I appreciate just having a place to whine- somewhere sort of neutral and mine, you know? Where people don't have to read it if they don't want to, so I don't have to worry about bothering anyone and nobody is that invested in me, so I don't have to worry too much about worrying anyone and nobody is expecting anything of me, so I don't have to worry about disappointing them or being seen as incompetent for the rest of my life even if I do get better and back on my feet. I'm sure I come off as whiny and a bit dramatic and I do worry about that (I want to be stoic! And optimistic! A plucky inspiration to all who takes adversity in... er... stride, as it were, and never brings anyone else down.) but... oh well?

Otherwise, I know this sounds frivolous, but most of the stuff I need is like... I need someone to help me scoop my litterboxes and wash and change my sheets and blankets and god I would kill for a hot meal... stuff like that, where someone has to be here, and also it's a little gross or tedious or complicated and a lot to ask of someone. But otherwise? I'm anxious as hell and bored out of my mind, which is a bad combination. What I need is something to do that I CAN do. Maybe I should start a thread for this, but... I don't know, podcast recommendations? Craft ideas? Books of short stories?
call the local department of social services and see if you have something called "in-home supportive services" What this does is pay through the state someone of your choosing to help you out ... the more severe you are the more hours you can get for them to help it might take 2 or 3 weeks but different states have different rules concerning the sign-up practices

but it might help ya out tho
Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 AM

Yesterday morning (3/16) my mother-in-law died unexpectedly. My husband and I drove two hours to her town to help his brother plan the funeral. After writing the obit, contacting family, and spending a couple of hours at the funeral home picking out a casket and all the other fun stuff, we went to a restaurant for dinner. On arrival, we were told that Governor Wolf had closed all of the restaurants. They're now take-out only. We didn't feel like waiting around for our food so we ended up going back to the house to frozen lasagna.

The viewings are on Thursday, the funeral is on Friday and we have to make a four hour round trip each time because we don't have anyone to take care of our pets.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Oh my gosh. I hope you guys can stay healthy at least. Condolences to your husband (and also to you).
Old 03-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
we don't have anyone to take care of our pets.
If you were further west I'd offer to check on your pets.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:36 AM

My daughter spends most of the week with her boyfriend, who works in an Amazon warehouse. She texted me this morning to say he wouldn't be coming over for St. Patrick's dinner, because he has a slight fever (99.1). I had to then tell her that (based on health department guidelines), she couldn't come over either. I did offer to bring them both dinner (to leave on the porch), but she hasn't responded since she "yelled' Fine!!! at me. She has anxiety and bipolar 2, and the whole coronavirus thing has her completely freaked out. She told me over the weekend that if she had to be stuck somewhere, she'd rather it was with us, not at the BFs, but now she's stuck. I feel absolutely awful for doing this, but her stepfather and I are both over 50 and diabetics, and we have no idea what the BF has been exposed to, since he's still having to go into work. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Last edited by Indyellen; 03-17-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:58 PM

Thanks, Dung Beetle and kayaker. We're in Johnstown and the funeral is in McKeesport. It's a hassle but it's do-able. We have a dog watcher but she needs a bit more of a notification to fit us into the schedule. We're hanging in there.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 PM

Not sure if this should go in another thread (Is there a "Making The Best of a Shitty Pandemic" thread?), but since this is my home*, I'll post it here:

I was supposed to be flying to the Caribbean (to work on rebuilding the island of Abaco, scoured by Hurricane Dorian), and the trip got cancelled. But I still had a flight, and couldn't get through to the airline (American). I was worried I might have to eat the cost.

BUT, just got an email from them saying "If you're not flying, and you've been trying to get through, we apologize. But don't worry, all you have to do is not show up for your flight, and when you're able to, reschedule for any time you'd like."

Whew...

*See, I'm "staying home"... for some it's the MMP, for me it's the Pit. (Oh, my family? Well, yeah, there's them, too, but they don't understand me...) (or call "Troll!" and ban people who are mean to me)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently watching a livestream of a relative's wedding on Facebook...the wedding was supposed to have taken place sometime in April, but I guess they decided to go for it now assuming that things are going to get worse? Several people are coughing, and there are children crying.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm still bummed about how many time outs I'm getting on this board. When will the "problem" be fixed?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 PM

Oh joy. What I thought was a bad case of allergies has turned into a low grade fever accompanied by body aches and a lot of sneezing. Guess I'm not going to work tomorrow. I am calling work, though, because I work in physician scheduling and I need to get a message to my PCP. And possibly all the triage people who work two cube rows away from me.

At least I put a warning on my desk today that nothing has been wiped down. We had a wipes thief wandering the cube farm this morning so my can is locked up tight in my desk and the keys are hanging on a hook not five feet away from where I'm sitting right now.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Okay, it is spring break time. It is COVAD-19 time. Not a good time to crowd on the beach. But don't tell the kids that.
One story here.
Plus the dumb fuck governor of Florida won't close the beaches, and instead wants to limit parties to groups of ten.

Breakers - Hope you get eaten by a shark. And bring the asshat governor along for the shark's dessert.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:53 PM

This isn't really a rant, more amusing, but too insignificant to make a thread about anywhere:

I frequently test consumer products. For example, they send me a new handcream, I use it for a few weeks, fill out an insanely detailed feedback questionnaire about the product, its packaging, on and on.

About a month ago I agreed to do a study of a new fabric softener. Sort of a long one: first fill out a baseline questionnaire about me, my mood/health/quality of life, my usage of laundry products and so on. Then they send the product, I use it for three weeks, then another survey. Then I'm to stop using the product for three weeks, then a final survey. I guess to see how much I do or don't miss using it? Whatever.

Anyway, the three week 'use product' stretch ended yesterday and I did the first followup questionnaire.

Which was 95% questions about my Mental Health and Quality of life! No kidding. Question after question about how often I was tense, how often anxious, how well did I sleep, how energetic did I feel, on and on. Not a single question about the fabric softener, like Were my towels soft enough? Did I like the scent?

Which makes me ponder two scenarios:

A) The softener was just a McGuffin to distract from the real point of the survey. For some reason they wanted to get a bunch of people to answer about their life and happiness and how it changed from three weeks ago to now.

B) It was about the softener, but there's some ingredient in it that they think might affect people emotionally/psychologically?

But how either of those interacts with the current Pandemic is curious.

If "A", did they [cue ominous chords] know all this corona virus/shelter in place stuff was coming, and want to see what is happening with people? Shades of conspiracy theories...

If "B", well, surely they couldn't do a test like that without a hell of lot more disclaimer notices and signing of waivers and all. I mean, there were some questions along that line in the first questionnaire (pre use), but no more than the usual "Are you allergic to X?" "Do you have any of the following conditions?" type questions.

I suppose there could be a case "C" where they really were just testing the fabric softener. Maybe they've already done the "Is it thick enough?" "Do you like the color of the bottle/scent/liquid" and so forth survey questions, and now just want to know if having a presumably improved softener would make people happier overall? (It actually is a nice softener, leaves things like cotton sheets especially feeling much silkier to the touch.)

But if that's the case, I feel sorry for them. How on earth can they possibly tease out people's reactions due to softer sheets versus, oh, being scared and anxious and irritated over all the worries of the past three weeks?

Really poor timing for them.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM

I received a letter from a realtor today, telling me that they have a client interested in buying a unit in my condo building and if I'm interested in selling, to please contact them.

The envelope, it appears, was a traditional type that was hand-sealed by licking the glue.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
Thanks, Dung Beetle and kayaker. We're in Johnstown and the funeral is in McKeesport. It's a hassle but it's do-able. We have a dog watcher but she needs a bit more of a notification to fit us into the schedule. We're hanging in there.
Fuck, I wish I'd seen this sooner. In case this info still helps .. there's several dog walking services out there, most have their own phone app.

Rover dot com is one of them, but there's others. You can schedule a meet and greet ahead of time, book in advance or find someone last minute, and so forth.

Kinda shilling for 'em since I just signed up (on the service provider end) but I know several dog owners who've used it in the past and are quite happy with it.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I haven't been allowed to see my five-year-old grandson since before Christmas, because his mother and my son have had a falling-out. It's been upsetting, but I've been hoping that they could patch it up. Still, there are no signs of reconciliation, and my son will never be able to get his shit together enough to hire a lawyer. Now, with the virus, there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel. I was thinking about approaching the other grandma to at least pass along the picture books I got the kiddo for Christmas, but it feels like giving up. And I wanted to read him those books. If I think about this, I will cry.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM

I don't know whether to hug or strangle my dear, wonderful mother.
Sadly, a few days ago her neighbor was struck and killed by a school bus, right outside their houses. Mom knew her to friendly chit chat, that kind of stuff. While she didn't see the actual impact, she did see the body. 30mph school bus hitting a smaller woman doesn't leave much. Mom is shook, which is totally understandable. She's now dealing with horrific nightmares on top of her normal insomnia. Unfortunately, she also doesn't believe in reaching out for mental health help, so she's suffering and there is nothing we can do.

On the other hand, she is continuing on with her daily activities. Stupidly. She was on a tear because a grocery store had eggs on super special and she HAD to have them. Go during elder/vulnerable shopping hours? No! It's still dark out! She has been trying the past three days, at a few times during the day, to go get these damned eggs. Finally managed to snag them tomorrow. So this 5'1", 100lb, elderly woman with heart issues now has 36 fricking eggs. Because they were on sale. Plus, she went to the bank, the post office, church (3x), and tried to go to the library - alas, they're closed. So she came over here. Then became irate when I basically limited her to the entryway. Bummer. You need to stay the fuck home, old lady. You croak now, no funeral for you, you get that, right? Then she complains to me about my daughter working in a store bakery - oh, she could get sick! She needs to stay home! You going to pay her bills with all the money you're saving on fricking eggs? Seriously, woman. Think.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I haven't been allowed to see my five-year-old grandson since before Christmas,
Man, that sucks. Hope things change between the kid's parents.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, kayaker.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:13 AM

I was just talking with my sister (on the phone) and she was griping about an aspect of the lock down that hadn't occurred to me. She keeps her hair in one of those super short precise clips that just HAS to be cut every six weeks. If she goes even two weeks over it starts looking messy and vaguely unkempt no matter what she does with it. Guess who just got called by her hair dresser to inform her the hair saloon is closed down 'probably for a month.'

Sister is freaking out. Not only does she have a job where she simply has to meet with people face to face all day, every day, but now she's going to have to do it looking like 'a hobo or something." Her words.

Just another reason to be glad I have shoulder length wavy hair. If things are shut down too long, I can just switch to wearing it up.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 03-20-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:16 AM

another damn dup.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 03-20-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I was just talking with my sister (on the phone) and she was griping about an aspect of the lock down that hadn't occurred to me. She keeps her hair in one of those super short precise clips that just HAS to be cut every six weeks. If she goes even two weeks over it starts looking messy and vaguely unkempt no matter what she does with it. Guess who just got called by her hair dresser to inform her the hair saloon is closed down 'probably for a month.'

Sister is freaking out. Not only does she have a job where she simply has to meet with people face to face all day, every day, but now she's going to have to do it looking like 'a hobo or something." Her words.

Just another reason to be glad I have shoulder length wavy hair. If things are shut down too long, I can just switch to wearing it up.
I'm just two months into growing my hair out from one of those kind of cuts, tho not a super short one. But my hair is now messy and the bangs falling into my eyes are driving me insane. And the salon is closed. But, somehow, I am not freaking out. Of course, I am old and not beautiful and do not have a job. I do sympathize with your sis but is she still going to work? If so she should be worrying about getting infected by those people she "has to" meet with every day.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:36 PM

My hair is normally buzz-cut, but I've waited too long to get it cut. Now I'll have to wait till this insanity is over. Looks like I'll be wearing a pony tail.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Why does my nose start itching furiously as soon as I go out in public? I was waiting in line to get into the Costco, and as soon as I got my cart, my nose started itching. There I am, standing in a crowd of people, all standing 6 feet apart, half of them wearing masks, and I am using up every ounce of willpower I own, not much at the best of times, trying to keep from scratching my nose.

Also, my usual excuse when going up to the cashier with a half dozen bottles of wine and a handle of Scotch, "Oh, I'm having a party," doesn't really work in these circumstances. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one. She just judged me silently, I'm sure.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I'm just two months into growing my hair out from one of those kind of cuts, tho not a super short one. But my hair is now messy and the bangs falling into my eyes are driving me insane. And the salon is closed. But, somehow, I am not freaking out. Of course, I am old and not beautiful and do not have a job. I do sympathize with your sis but is she still going to work? If so she should be worrying about getting infected by those people she "has to" meet with every day.
Sympathy on the bangs -- I remember how awful that was. (Though I'd usually just take my scissors to them when it got too bad to endure.)

Yeah, sister is a bit vain. OTOH, I think a lot of it is diversionary griping. Better to bitch about her hair then fall apart over her real worries.

And, yes, she still has to go to work, in fact, she's had to work ten hour days, 7 days a week, for almost four weeks now. Her usual (wonderful) assistant is out with a brand new baby, and of the normally three people at her level in the department, one had recently been poached by another company, the second is now waiting for his embezzlement trial, and that leaves.....her. The company was in the interviewing process, but with unemployment so low they're having a hard time finding suitable people who want to work at that non-favored location. (Not that it's in a slum or high crime area, it just isn't a NYC or Boston or Philadelphia or the like.)

I tell her that clearly means they aren't offering enough money, but apparently TPTB are being stubborn that what they're offering *is* fair.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

She's obviously not in PA or CA, then. Only "life sustaining businesses" are allowed to have people onsite right now. In PA, life sustaining is largely (but not entirely) restricted to grocery stores, hospitals and other healthcare facilities, businesses that supply healthcare equipment, gas stations, and things that keep utilities running or restores service if it goes out for someone.

I'm supposed to have my ductwork cleaned out next week, and I plan to call the company and ask to reschedule. I'm a high risk, so the less contact I have with people the better.

Just me and my furballs.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM

Sheesh, I saw a car wash open today, and a landscaping truck running around. Guess that's what California considers "essential".
Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 PM

I long for the day that I can go to the grocery store and not only not have a string of profanities running through my head from the moment I grab the (soggy) cart to the moment I make it to the end of the (overly long) line, but I can find every goddamn thing I need without having to make two trips because the fucking hoarders have bought up all the (thing that I'm out of.)

I better not see a damn one of those hoarders in the grocery store until July.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post

For the last 20 years or so, I've grown my hair to about my waist and then cut off a foot of it to send to St. Jude's Children's Hospital to be made into wigs. I was planning to do that in February but then my mother was hospitalized and died. With all that and now the pandemic, I just didn't get it done. Now it's driving me crazy. It grows really fast and is now below my waist. I keep it piled up on my head all the time. I'm seriously thinking about taking some scissors and chopping it off. I mean, who's going to see it? I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited by aurora maire; 03-20-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Tonight the nice folks at dialysis handed out masks and get-out-of-home-confinement cards so the cops/national guard can't stop us on our way to get our blood washed.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
For the last 20 years or so, I've grown my hair to about my waist and then cut off a foot of it to send to St. Jude's Children's Hospital to be made into wigs. I was planning to do that in February but then my mother was hospitalized and died. With all that and now the pandemic, I just didn't get it done. Now it's driving me crazy. It grows really fast and is now below my waist. I keep it piled up on my head all the time. I'm seriously thinking about taking some scissors and chopping it off. I mean, who's going to see it? I'm not going anywhere.
You can't cut it now and then save it until you can donate it? I don't think cut hair spoils.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 AM

So, I live in Cornwall, in England- that's the end of the pointy out bit at the bottom of the South West. It's a big tourist area, and somewhere a lot of wealthy people have second homes. That's... OK verging on controversial most of the time (tourists are the main income, but second homes price locals out of housing then sit empty most of the year), but right now, coming down here on holiday? Just no.

Not just the second home owners but fuckwits with caravans are getting out of London 'before the lockdown', to come down here.

We have one proper hospital.

One.

Usually the really serious cases get airlifted out of the county, people needing to see specialists go up to Bristol or maybe Plymouth. There's some small 'community hospitals', but they're largely for minor treatments or inpatient stuff like dialysis. They don't have a bunch of spare beds. Some aren't even open 24 hours.

This is not a time to go on holiday. It's definitely not a time to go on holiday to an area which is already, frankly, seriously underequipped for medical care. I don't give a crap if the county does depend on tourism. I don't care if if is probably going to be a nicer place to be- so long as you're not ill- than London, as realistically lockdown can't be enforced so strictly somewhere like here. This is not the time.

Stay
The
Fuck
Home.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

No, dude, that photo of empty shelves at the Kroger after everybody panic-bought all the meat is not "how socialism works." It is, in fact, an illustration of how capitalism works.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM

The funeral is over and all went well. We expected thunderstorms but the sun made a brief appearance once we got to the cemetery. My husband says our job now is to figure out what normal is and get back to it. I expect it will take a while.

PurpleHorseshoe, I'll keep your advice in mind for the next time I need a dog sitter. I didn't see your post until Saturday.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:43 AM

It's raining indoors. Literally. I woke up this morning to sounds like I had left the shower on--ran into the bathroom to find water gushing out of the ceiling. To their credit, emergency maintenance showed up 30 minutes after I called (masked and gloved) and is working on it. And it does not appear to be sewage. But seriously? Now, of all times, this happens? My bathroom floor is flooded.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:55 PM

There is a Spanish Merlot that is a very good value that I've been buying dozens of bottles of over the past few months. During the recent shopping panic I bought a lot of stuff at the liquor store and picked up four more bottles of the wine.

They are screw-top bottles but so are a lot of good wines these days, so no problem with that. Casually tried to unscrew the cap at dinnertime, but no go. Tried much harder, still nothing. Finally took it down to the basement and applied large alligator-type pliers to the cap and turned with all possible force. Still would not budge. It took multiple efforts and all my strength to finally force it to break the seal and open.

Tried it with the other other three new bottles. One opened fine, and I just screwed the top back on and figured it will keep just fine, since it's not uncommon for wine collectors to uncork aging old wines and recork them again to keep the corks from rotting. A brief moment of air exposure to a full bottle doesn't harm it if it's properly restoppered. But the other two were the same as the first -- tremendous effort required just to open the fucking thing! Again, screwed the tops back on tightly and figured they'll be fine. I also tried a random bottle from an older stock and it opened just fine just like all the previous ones so hopefully that was my only share of a bad batch of badly manufactured screwtops.

First world problems, I know, but someone with less muscular strength or lack of the right tool would have been totally out of luck. No one should make products that are defective to the point of requiring a major athletic performance to open them!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
They are screw-top bottles but so are a lot of good wines these days, so no problem with that. Casually tried to unscrew the cap at dinnertime, but no go. Tried much harder, still nothing. Finally took it down to the basement and applied large alligator-type pliers to the cap and turned with all possible force. Still would not budge. It took multiple efforts and all my strength to finally force it to break the seal and open.
Back in the day, any half competent alc..., er, drinker would have a churchkey around the house, and when they got thirsty enough they would have figured out how to use it on a screwtop.

Those bottles are single serving size, right?

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 03-23-2020, 08:25 AM

No, they're just ordinary full-size wine bottles with screwtops. We had a discussion in CS some time ago about the increasing use of screwtops for even many top quality wines, especially from Australia and New Zealand but also many European countries and South America. They are somewhat less commonly used for French wines and my impression is that they're downright rare for California wines, but modern screwtops are actually superior to corks, although they lack the cachet that goes with uncorking a bottle.

Anyway, trust me, none of those flimsy "churchkey" things would have opened them. It required major effort with large adjustable pliers. Normally when you open one, the twisting breaks a series of tiny metal tabs holding the cap to the seal underneath. For these three particular bottles, the tabs were practically unbreakable!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 AM

My gf picked up six boxes of wine Saturday. We will be drinking the boxed stuff before moving on to the bottles in our cellar.