Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM

On a related note, bad news and good news:

Bad news: With all the closures and precautions being taken against the pandemic, the Beer Store chain, which is the only place to return deposit-refundable wine and liquor bottles, has announced that they are suspending the service until March 31, but I bet it will be a lot longer. Meanwhile I have tons of empties as I haven't done any returns in months, and am running out of space. Throw a couple of dozen at a time in the recycling bin, you say, and forget about the deposit refund? The city has announced they won't take them, as they're supposed to go through the refund/recycling channel that the Beer Store operates.

Good news: Looks like there won't be a lot more coming in. Liquor stores are on shorter hours, limited staffing, and are implementing crowd control measures, and will probably have supply shortages soon. Hey, you gotta look on the bright side of something!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 PM

Dear Game Developer

Stop putting me in these ďtournamentsĒ against fake players. Iím insulted that you think Iím that fucking stupid. I scroll down the list of my ďopponentsď and every single one has a correctly spelled first name, first letter capitalized and all else in lower case. No one with a last name, or nickname. Just a list of first names that sound like they came out of a recent baby name book
Ayden
Lincoln
Aubrey
Jayden
Lincoln
Alice
Gabriel
Aaliyah (my favorite, the only ethnic name they use )
Joshua
Willow
Hayden (they love rhyming that one)

Etc etc. There seem to be about a hundred names total that they mix up (allowing duplicates) and use for each tournament. And the app doesnít even let you pick a game name. But at least make it look real, OK. Use names like Waystead69 or WetFart45 or Ihatedon or the kind of names that show up when youíre competing against real people.

But I donít compete against fake people. I just ignore the damn tournament.

Iím going to keep the pitting mild because, unlike most of these games, they are easy enough and generous enough with lives and gifts that I can play free without frustration.

But damn, these fake tournaments chap my ass. Also, I need to get mad about something thatís not virus related. Balance, you know.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-23-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:32 PM

In what world is that good news?

And yes, ordinary full size bottles = single serving size. I wasn't suggesting the churchkey as a way of removing the cap, rather just punch a hole in the top of the cap and pour.

Anyways, I've been invited to a local Facebook group whose purpose is for local restaurants to post their take out menus. Which seems like a fair idea, right? No, what we have are local idiots posting "is restaurant A delivering?". For fucks sakes, you have a phone in your goddamned hand. Why don't you call and ask them directly?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
My hair is normally buzz-cut, but I've waited too long to get it cut. Now I'll have to wait till this insanity is over. Looks like I'll be wearing a pony tail.
I often joke that I cut my hair every 5 years whether it needs it or not. Although I think itís been more than 5 years since the last cut.

That is one coronavirus problem I do NOT have.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I am being told I have to work from home. My job is way more difficult to do remotely without my three big monitors, printer and scanner. I feel like I am being punished. Stupid virus.

I was on vacation last week (didn't go anywhere) so this is a new development.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Dear Game Developer

Stop putting me in these ďtournamentsĒ against fake players. Iím insulted that you think Iím that fucking stupid. I scroll down the list of my ďopponentsď and every single one has a correctly spelled first name, first letter capitalized and all else in lower case. No one with a last name, or nickname. Just a list of first names that sound like they came out of a recent baby name book
Ayden
Lincoln
Aubrey
Jayden
Lincoln
Alice
Gabriel
Aaliyah (my favorite, the only ethnic name they use )
Joshua
Willow
Hayden (they love rhyming that one)

Etc etc. There seem to be about a hundred names total that they mix up (allowing duplicates) and use for each tournament. And the app doesnít even let you pick a game name. But at least make it look real, OK. Use names like Waystead69 or WetFart45 or Ihatedon or the kind of names that show up when youíre competing against real people.

But I donít compete against fake people. I just ignore the damn tournament.

Iím going to keep the pitting mild because, unlike most of these games, they are easy enough and generous enough with lives and gifts that I can play free without frustration.

But damn, these fake tournaments chap my ass. Also, I need to get mad about something thatís not virus related. Balance, you know.
Sometimes I think they do the same thing on 'Duolingo' with these too "perfect" names making me think they're bots that I'm competing against.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
I am being told I have to work from home. My job is way more difficult to do remotely without my three big monitors, printer and scanner. I feel like I am being punished. Stupid virus.
Yeah, I'd consider working from home but I really don't see how I could do it without my stuff, man!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post

I was on vacation last week (didn't go anywhere) so this is a new development.
My son's work is letting them bring there monitors home - could you ask about that? I assume the printer and scanner are shared resources, so that might be a Thunderdome sort of thing.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:45 AM

New hobby: collecting incredibly moronic coronavirus-related headlines. Today's keeper, courtesy of Fox News*:

"Bella Hadid shares coronavirus do's and don'ts while eating burrito topless: 'Don't be selfish!'"

*I originally mistyped this as "Tox News", which is uncomfortably close to the truth. Fox is a great source of dumbass virus "news".
Old 03-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
BUT, just got an email from them saying "If you're not flying, and you've been trying to get through, we apologize. But don't worry, all you have to do is not show up for your flight, and when you're able to, reschedule for any time you'd like."
I've been getting similar emails from any hotel, hotel chain or air company to which I've ever given my email. Or at least it seems that way.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

My mother has an aortic aneurysm. Surgery has been delayed because it’s more dangerous to be in the hospital. This virus could kill her even if she’s never exposed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Norwegian airlines charged us three times the fare to get back to the states last week.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

The miniest of mini-rants in these times: got back to work today (my department is now on a five days on, five days off schedule for alternating personnel) and found that someone either stole or disposed of the little cardboard cutout doggie I kept on a table in my office.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Norwegian airlines charged us three times the fare to get back to the states last week.
How empty was the plane?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
New hobby: collecting incredibly moronic coronavirus-related headlines. Today's keeper, courtesy of Fox News*:

"Bella Hadid shares coronavirus do's and don'ts while eating burrito topless: 'Don't be selfish!'"

*I originally mistyped this as "Tox News", which is uncomfortably close to the truth. Fox is a great source of dumbass virus "news".
As if this didn't sound bizarre enough, and it does, I googled Ms. Hadid to find out who she is and the Google mini-bio informed me of her occupation, nationality, age, height, and additionally, what her shoe size is.
Today I learned that a topless, burrito-eating model wears a size six shoe. What a country.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:53 AM

My I-phone says the temperature range for today is 53 to 71. It also says the current temp is 50. It was supposed to warm up today, but it doesn't look good.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM

To all the trashy humanoids out there

Kindly stop hurling your booze bottles, Ale-8-One cans and plastic trash out your car windows as you speed past my home.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
How empty was the plane?
Wasnít full, Iím guessing 20 % empty. Last flight out of Gatwick by them for awhile. We had booked a return flight scheduled for two days later.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
Anyways, I've been invited to a local Facebook group whose purpose is for local restaurants to post their take out menus. Which seems like a fair idea, right? No, what we have are local idiots posting "is restaurant A delivering?". For fucks sakes, you have a phone in your goddamned hand. Why don't you call and ask them directly?
The latest genius just asked if there are any keto friendly bakeries in town. Dude, you do realize what a bakery is, right?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The latest genius just asked if there are any keto friendly bakeries in town. Dude, you do realize what a bakery is, right?
"So, like, which distillery would be best for our AA happy hour?"
Old 03-30-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

My DVR appears to have died. I called u-verse and after spending about half an hour with a tech who walked me through the usual "unplug it, wait thirty seconds, then try to restart it by holding down the power button" (all of which I had tried before calling, of course). So AT&T is sending me a new DVR, which should arrive by Wednesday. This means that all of the shows I've recorded but haven't yet watched, and the ones I've been saving to re-watch some time in the future are all lost. Supposedly I won't need to reprogram the new machine to record shows I watch, but that's a small comfort.

Fortunately, I have a Fire TV and my internet is still working, so I can watch my streaming services until the new machine arrives.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM

As I said when my college art portfolio (mid-'70s, so all analog) got marinated in beer... "Well, someone pissed on the Mona Lisa. But guess it's time to let go of the past and start over, looking toward the future!" Like me having to make new art, here's to you finding new shows/movies to be quarantined with. And new hobbies!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM

I managed to lose a twist of thread I needed to do the next step of my Mystery Project and don't have anything in my stash to substitute. Its not overdyed, normally I could just get another skein at my favorite needlepoint place. Now, I just have to stitch on and leave a 2 inch unstitched area in the middle of the piece to remind me that I'm a dumbass.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I managed to lose a twist of thread I needed to do the next step of my Mystery Project and don't have anything in my stash to substitute. Its not overdyed, normally I could just get another skein at my favorite needlepoint place. Now, I just have to stitch on and leave a 2 inch unstitched area in the middle of the piece to remind me that I'm a dumbass.
Or you could go on line thread shopping. I assume that is a thing as I buy most of my yarn on line (all of it, now). It's very handy but also means that it is possible to buy way too much yarn that costs way too much at 2 in the morning. Oops.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
What thread is it? Brand/color name? I have a huge selection of floss here - I mean yuuggeee, and there is an offhand chance I may have it.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Google "keto bread." I dare you.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
Google "keto bread." I dare you.
I dared. There are a lot of disclaimers like "Sure, it's crumbly and tastes eggy..." "Don't expect it to taste like wheat bread..."

But guess what? It's full of carbs (but they play the "wait, subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs and it's only 1 gram!" game) and each thin slice has 15g of fat and 165 calories.

Even when I was on a strict low-carb diet, I'd have much rather eaten one slice of "real" bread, while Paulie Paleo, deprived as he is, would scarf half a loaf of sesame-coconut flour/egg/guar/oil bread.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

*sigh* So the replacement DVR arrived today. It was left on the porch and if it wasn't for an email I got from AT&T I wouldn't have known it was there. Opened the box and looked through all the instructions, then remembered something the tech had suggested yesterday; I took the power cord that had come with the new unit and used it to replace the old one. As soon as I plugged it in, the old unit powered up and reset itself. Everything was still on it, and all I had lost was the shows that should have been recorded last night.

So I called AT&T to report this; they made a note on my records and told me to return the new unit using the instructions provided for returning the old unit. This involves taking it to a UPS store or dropoff point, but due to the corona situation I have until May 30 to do so.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:56 PM

Great news! May everyone's techie probs be as easy to fix!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister View Post
*sigh* So the replacement DVR arrived today. It was left on the porch and if it wasn't for an email I got from AT&T I wouldn't have known it was there. Opened the box and looked through all the instructions, then remembered something the tech had suggested yesterday; I took the power cord that had come with the new unit and used it to replace the old one. As soon as I plugged it in, the old unit powered up and reset itself. Everything was still on it, and all I had lost was the shows that should have been recorded last night.

So I called AT&T to report this; they made a note on my records and told me to return the new unit using the instructions provided for returning the old unit. This involves taking it to a UPS store or dropoff point, but due to the corona situation I have until May 30 to do so.
wow even spectrum pays for a fed ex pick up.......
Old 03-31-2020, 03:11 PM

I'm pitting myself for throwing a small tantrum this morning. I was in the dining room and about four people were talking to me - my son, my daughter, my mom and my husband - each asking me questions without actually looking at me. I got really annoyed and threw my phone. Or tried to. The wires attached to my earbuds (which were plugged into my phone) got caught around my fingers, so I just threw my phone really hard at my foot. Now I have a goose egg and a fairly enormous and painful bruise on the top of my foot that makes walking painful. So that was fun.

My other pitting is my mom - she moved here to be close to me and my family. Which is great. We got her stuff from point A to point B, which is great. But she's still fucking living in my house. Granted, it's just a week later, but when I asked her, she has no goals as to when she's sleeping at her place and really no plans to make plans. She's really getting underfoot because my husband, two kids and I all have to work from home now. She just sit on the couch, watching TV until she meanders out the door to unpack a box or two and watch TV at her place, only to return and sit on the couch again while I cook dinner. And if I don't cook food she likes, she just refuses to eat. Not in a mean way, just says no thanks and eats garbage like cookies.

Oh, and my brother in law who lost his shit earlier? He keeps texting me with doomsday messages about New York (he doesn't live there), insisting that he's got COVID (he hasn't been out of the house in over 3 weeks at this point and has shown no symptoms), getting upset with my sister when she goes to the grocery and refusing to let his children step foot out the front door (they're 5 and 8) even to play on the lawn or go for a drive. They have what my BIL calls "decontamination zones" at their front and back doors and their garage where anyone entering the house must first call the house to have someone open the door for them and is prohibited from touching doorknobs, light switches or buttons, must thoroughly wash hands and wipe down with Clorox themselves and anything else coming in from the outside.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Or you could go on line thread shopping. I assume that is a thing as I buy most of my yarn on line (all of it, now). It's very handy but also means that it is possible to buy way too much yarn that costs way too much at 2 in the morning. Oops.
The designer included sources for all of the materials used and I have a few other sources, but I was stitching and wanted to keep stitching, I didn't want to have to wait for replacement thread to arrive. Of course, I have never overbought supplies for my obsession!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
What thread is it? Brand/color name? I have a huge selection of floss here - I mean yuuggeee, and there is an offhand chance I may have it.
Thank you so much, you probably do have some. DMC pearl cotton #5, 353. I should have had some, I love working with pearl cotton and have plenty in my stash, but didn't have that color. I did come across some Very Velvet that was very close to the right color, so used that instead. This is a sampler piece using different textures and shades of rose/sunset colors, I am the only one who will know that I faked it.

The most annoying part is knowing that its in this house, probably within the 4 closest rooms to where I was working and will turn up somewhere very random. I looked everywhere I could think of, but I'm not a rotten, opinionated little cat who finds little hidey holes for her stash! (It was in a plastic bag, I didn't leave loose thread for the rotten beast to eat.)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:10 PM

I'm having trouble finding my cat's favorite dry food. The supermarkets are out, and so is Chewy. She still has about a week's worth. I'll have to keep looking.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:38 PM

You know what else we can blame China for? Starting the April Mini-Rants already!
Old 03-31-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm having trouble finding my cat's favorite dry food. The supermarkets are out, and so is Chewy. She still has about a week's worth. I'll have to keep looking.
Did you try Amazon? I found my cats' food there when Chewy was out. Also, Chewy is beginning to get in some of the things they were out of. Or, if you are truly desperate, post what it is and I'll check here. I know what it is to have a cat with a favorite food.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
This is so not mini! What are you looking for, I'll be going out later this week for groceries, I'll grab a bag for you if I see it.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
wow even spectrum pays for a fed ex pick up.......
There was a return label included with the package, so it isn't going to cost me anything to ship the unit back. However, as far as I can tell, there's no provision for UPS pickup.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:59 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
You know what else we can blame China for? Starting the April Mini-Rants already!

But they'll blame an American for it!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
There was a return label included with the package, so it isn't going to cost me anything to ship the unit back. However, as far as I can tell, there's no provision for UPS pickup.

Why not just call UPS? Years ago, I had to get an item replaced and when I called UPS, they added me to the driver's route for that pickup.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Why not just call UPS? Years ago, I had to get an item replaced and when I called UPS, they added me to the driver's route for that pickup.
I'll probably do that. At the moment I'm dealing with a few issues around the house, so I'm taking advantage of the 60 day return window.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I'll probably do that. At the moment I'm dealing with a few issues around the house, so I'm taking advantage of the 60 day return window.
Plus, if the old one craps out again (seems odd that a new power cord fixed it), you are ahead on the replacement timetable.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Plus, if the old one craps out again (seems odd that a new power cord fixed it), you are ahead on the replacement timetable.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post

As funny as it sounds, a number of power cords for high tech stuff today are high tech themselves. They have a tiney transformer in them. If the tiny transformer dies, the cord's all of a sudden just a rope.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I did notice that the new power cord is not the same as the old one. The old one was in two parts; there was a cord that ran from the outlet to a "brick" which had a radio-jack cord that plugged into the DVR, whereas the new cord had a smaller brick that plugged directly into the outlet with a radio-jack cord that went to the DVR.

It is possible that the transformer in the old cord has been slowly dying. I've had to do the reset thing several times over the past two or three months, but Monday was the first time the DVR completely refused to start up.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much, you probably do have some. DMC pearl cotton #5, 353. I should have had some, I love working with pearl cotton and have plenty in my stash, but didn't have that color. I did come across some Very Velvet that was very close to the right color, so used that instead. This is a sampler piece using different textures and shades of rose/sunset colors, I am the only one who will know that I faked it.
Sadly, my collection of perle is not as massive as my collection of regular DMC and other brands.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Kindly stop hurling your booze bottles, Ale-8-One cans and plastic trash out your car windows as you speed past my home.
Ahh, Ale-8-One, the (non-alcoholic ) champagne of my fatherís hometown. If you like ginger ale but wish it was a whole lot sweeter, this is the beverage for you!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Just to make my life a little crazier: When I turned on the TV & DVR yesterday afternoon there was no signal. So I hooked up the new machine, which of course had to go through the whole reset/update cycle for I could do anything. Fortunately, as promised, the new machine has all of the shows I had previously set up to record on file, so I don't have to try and recreate my (extensive) watchlist. Unfortunately, as warned, I've lost all the shows I had previously recorded. Some of them are available On Demand, but others I may need to search for online.

It almost makes me wish I could drink.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 AM

Don't want to wash clothes at the laundromat. Figured its easy enough to handwash and dry on a line. No stores I went to sell clothespins. Better luck tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

You guys! It's April! April