Old 03-06-2020, 12:25 PM

Shows that weren't picked up as a series/never came to be.

One thing I think some people don't realize is how many TV shows never make it past the pilot. Even getting a network to greenlight a pilot for your show is a major accomplishment, as sometimes, a show will be scrapped before it even gets to air, or never makes it past production For every show that gets picked up, many more shows don't even get past the pitch.

So, let's have a thread discussing shows that didn't make it past their pilot episodes, and faded into obscurity.

There was going to be an animated Buffy series called, appropriately enough, Buffy: The Animated Series. Unfortunately, it never got to air.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:33 PM

Early '70s: Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II and Questor. The pilots were made and aired, and they were excellent. Unfortunately, they were never picked up as series. In the case of the latter, it was said the network thought it was too much like The Six Million Dollar Man.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I thought the last episode of Star Trek: TOS was supposed to spin off into a series.

No pilot AFAIK. Too bad - Terri Garr, after all.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 03-06-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Early '70s: Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II and Questor. The pilots were made and aired, and they were excellent. Unfortunately, they were never picked up as series. In the case of the latter, it was said the network thought it was too much like The Six Million Dollar Man.
IIRC, Roddenberry also wanted to make a new Star Trek series titled Phase II.

Last edited by CastletonSnob; 03-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I thought the last episode of Star Trek: TOS was supposed to spin off into a series.

Regards,
Shodan
Right. Assignment: Earth. A "backdoor pilot". Not the worst TOS episode, and perhaps the series that never followed may have been interesting.

Roddenberry was quite prolific, but a lot of his ideas were never picked up.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Yes. It eventually morphed into the first motion picture a couple of years later, riding the popularity of Star Wars.

There was also a retooling of Genesis II after it wasn't picked up. It was called Planet Earth and starred John Saxon.

"Assignment: Earth" was the final episode of TOS's second season. Roddenberry came up with it because at the time, he wasn't sure the series would be renewed for a third one.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yes. It eventually morphed into the first motion picture a couple of years later, riding the popularity of Star Wars.

There was also a retooling of Genesis II after it wasn't picked up. It was called Planet Earth and starred John Saxon.

"Assignment: Earth" was the final episode of TOS's second season. Roddenberry came up with it because at the time, he wasn't sure the series would be renewed for a third one.
It wasn't going to have a third season originally, but fan petitions made CBS change its mind.

Last edited by CastletonSnob; 03-06-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:28 PM

NBC.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:40 PM

There was another pilot sadly not picked up: Spectre, Roddenberry's venture into the supernatural. I saw it on late-night TV back in 1977 or '78.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(1977_film)

I had seen John Hurt a couple of years earier, playing Caligula in I, Claudius. He was just as scary in Spectre.

Last edited by terentii; 03-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Below is a link to my favorite pilot that never became a series because of why it was rejected. It seems the suits believed the two leads didn't have the right stuff between the two of them to headline a TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEt4NIEUTg
(I wonder how they felt shortly after that decision when Magnum P.I. and Spenser For Hire were top shows)
Old 03-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Among attempts at translating a hit movie into a family-friendly series include "Black Bart" (the original title of Blazing Saddles, of course) and "Mother, Juggs & Speed" (the extra "g" because her surname became "Juggston" and to deemphasize her assets). Neither got past the pilot stage.

Honorable mention goes to Adrian Cronauer for trying to create a series which combined WKRP and M*A*S*H.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-06-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

This show made it to production, but holly crap was it a bad idea.

Basically a con artist gives his viewers step by step instructions on how to pull off some of his easier scams. Like how to get a free meal from McDonald's. Or how to have two hot models clean your house for free.

I can't believe that show ever made it on the air even if it was short lived.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I've never seen it, but I have heard of Campo 44, which Hogan's Heroes ripped off. There was a pilot and nothing else. Not only did the similarity kill it (Hogans Heroes got on the air first), but another issue was that the executives thought it was so funny that they couldn't keep up the standard.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Another failed backdoor pilot: Katmandu (via Happy Days).
Old 03-06-2020, 03:39 PM

The first Game of Thrones pilot for a prequel was not picked up by HBO. They did greenlight a different prequel that is 300 years before the books.

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/game-of...use-of-dragons
Old 03-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan
Nitpick: It wasn't the last episode. It was the last episode of season two. There was a third season.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:47 PM

TOS was on NBC. And the third season was very important because back then they normally did not syndicate a show unless it had 3 seasons. No 3rd season and they could have been the end of Star Trek.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

On January 21, 1978, a pilot for a new series aired. Once. And never saw the light of day again. But for those of us who saw it. . . Oh, we never forgot it.

But none of us could remember the name!

A couple of decades ago, a website sprang up called "IMDb," which had a message board forum for most of its life before they decided to pull the plug a few years ago. (A scaled down version of it still exists at moviechat.org, though.)

Anyway. . . one of the forums was called "I Need to Know," in which you could post a question about some fragmentary memory of a movie you had seen, and the movie/TV history buffs could weigh in on what it probably was.

One question surfaced every few months (paraphrasing):

Quote:
I remember seeing some movie about a 'mud monster' that was destroyed when it fell into salt water.
Everyone remembered it, but no one could remember the title. This went on for a couple of years until. . . someone actually dug it up.

Respectfully submitted for your approval, the episode "Monster" from a series that was not picked up. . . The World Beyond, featuring a youthful JoBeth Williams.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 03-06-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I've never seen it, but I have heard of Campo 44, which Hogan's Heroes ripped off. There was a pilot and nothing else. Not only did the similarity kill it (Hogans Heroes got on the air first), but another issue was that the executives thought it was so funny that they couldn't keep up the standard.
The story I read was that Ruddy (or Fein) was on the way home after the original concept (set in a US prison) was rejected. On the plane, he saw someone reading the book Stalag 17 (the play, I presume), rewrote the proposed script overnight, and headed back the next day. It was originally called Stalag 13, but the title was changed to avoid charges of plagarism.

I've never heard of Campo 44, but I find it odd that it's dated 1967. Hogan's Heroes debuted in 1965, meaning the other series would have been in limbo for at least two years.

Vito Scotti played an Italian officer on Hogan's Heroes (Major Bonacelli). He agreed to work for the Allies before he went back to Italy. I wonder if Campo 44 wasn't an attempt at a spinoff.

Last edited by terentii; 03-06-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

Basically a con artist gives his viewers step by step instructions on how to pull off some of his easier scams. Like how to get a free meal from McDonald's. Or how to have two hot models clean your house for free.

Was that the one where the kid and his older friend got free pizzas from a Domino's dumpster? All they had to do was order them over the phone, not pick them up, and then wait for them to get tossed out.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was that the one where the kid and his older friend got free pizzas from a Domino's dumpster? All they had to do was order them over the phone, not pick them up, and then wait for them to get tossed out.
That sounds like something he would do. I don't remember that particular episode though.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:23 PM

There were a couple of specials on CBS and ABC, in 1996 and 2004 respectively, dedicated to unsold pilots. A good place to start for those interested in the topic.

The Greatest Shows You Never Saw
Best TV Shows That Never Were

One that caught my eye: Poor Devil, 1973. It starred Sammy Davis Junior as a clutzy minion of Lucifer, who can't seem to harvest his requisite quota of souls. Just to see Sammy with horns, flashing the Devil sign like at a Black Sabbath concert...
Old 03-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The story I read was that Ruddy (or Fein) was on the way home after the original concept (set in a US prison) was rejected. On the plane, he saw someone reading the book Stalag 17 (the play, I presume), rewrote the proposed script overnight, and headed back the next day. It was originally called Stalag 13, but the title was changed to avoid charges of plagarism.

I've never heard of Campo 44, but I find it odd that it's dated 1967. Hogan's Heroes debuted in 1965, meaning the other series would have been in limbo for at least two years.

Vito Scotti played an Italian officer on Hogan's Heroes (Major Bonacelli). He agreed to work for the Allies before he went back to Italy. I wonder if Campo 44 wasn't an attempt at a spinoff.
The accounts I've seen indicate that Campo 44 was written and pitched before Hogan's Heroes but couldn't go to pilot until after.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

Sounds like the Abbie Hoffman book Steal this Book where he wrote about various scams. As you might guess it was turned down by many publishers before it was released.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Disney was talking about a traditionally animated TV version of an Incredibles series.

Vanished.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it was re-tooled yet again, as Strange New World.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:54 PM

Supernatural had two backdoor pilots--Wayward Sisters, which should have become a series, and Bloodlines, which good riddance.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
There was another pilot sadly not picked up: Spectre, Roddenberry's venture into the supernatural. I saw it on late-night TV back in 1977 or '78.

I had seen John Hurt a couple of years earier, playing Caligula in I, Claudius. He was just as scary in Spectre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
There was also a non-Roddenberry pilot called Earth II with Gary Lockwood and two-navelled Mariette Hartley on a space station.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 03-06-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
There was also a non-Roddenberry pilot called Earth II with Gary Lockwood and two-navelled Mariette Hartley on a space station.

ETA: Sorry folks, duplicate post. Beachballs, spinning tabs and time-out pages.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 03-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 PM

"Zelda" would have spun off Sheila James' character from "Dobie Gillis" in 1961. Sadly enough, Sheila would relate the reason it never got past the pilot stage was the network execs found out she was a lesbian.
"Snip" from 1976 was yanked from the schedule before airing for much the same reasons--the show featured a gay character.
In a much lighter vein, probably Norman Lear's biggest flop was a producer was 1979's "A Dog's Life", which only saw the pilot aired. The reason--it was awful
Old 03-06-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Sounds like the Abbie Hoffman book Steal this Book where he wrote about various scams. As you might guess it was turned down by many publishers before it was released.
My favorite parts were how to get free food by crashing weddings and funerals, and how to manufacture coins for pay phones and vending machines by Scotch taping over appropriately sized washers.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:46 PM

There was a pilot for a tv series version of Zero Effect. I saw it on a program called "Brilliant but Cancelled". There was another good sounding pilot in there, but damn if I can remember what it was.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:43 AM

One more of Roddenberry's pre-TOS pilots that was produced but not picked up: Police Story, which featured both DeForest Kelley and Grace Lee Whitney. From what I've read, it was an early CSI concept. It was apparently Kelley's performance as the medical examiner that led to his casting as Dr McCoy, replacing Paul Fix as the Enterprise CMO in the second ST pilot.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I've mentioned this one many times before. I'm a big fan of Robert H. Van Gulik's Judge Dee detectiove series, based on the T'ang era Chinese Judge (who really existed) who was a sort of Sherlock Holmes in a series of 18th century novels. Van Gulik translated the original, then went on to wroite an entire series based on the character, using elements of real Chiunese detective novels. I learned about this by stumbling across a broadcast of an ABC movie of the week, Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders, made by the King of TV Movies, Nicholas Meyer. It was unique not only in bringing to the American TV screen a setting as alien as the planets in Star Trek, but in using an almost entirely Asian-ancestry cast to play all the roles.*

The TV movie, like several of the entries in the ABC Movie of the Week, was a trial for a TV series. But the Powers That Be, although they liked K.D. as a detective, didn't like the whole T'ang dynasty setting. Maybe they figured it would be too expensive every week, or that most Americans wouldn't be interested in a show with no caucasian characters in it. They made a few episodes of a series entitled Chang! that starred K.D. as a detective in modern-day San Francisco (with none of the other cast members), and it flopped.

I would've loved to have seen a Judge Dee series.

Years later I heard that Paul Veerhoeven was looking into making a Judge Dee movie, but it never happened. There have been two "Judge Dee" movies out of China, but they're vastly different from Van Gulik's Judge Dee, or even the Judge Dee of the Chinese novels. They turned him into a martial-arts wizard, with tons of wire work and heav y supernatural elements.

(I've always suspected, by the way, that the Judge Dredd franchise owes something to JUdge Dee. Both are public safety officials who take an active role in pursuing and catching criminals sa well as carrying out judgment. The Judge Dredd series started in Britain after the run of the British TV series. The name supposedly came from reggae artist Alexander Minto Hughes, who called himself "Judge Dread", but I suspect a bit of the Dee influence in the naming. )

*Ironically, the lead role, Judge Dee himself, was played by Khigh Dheigh, an actor of Ethiopian-British ancestry who specialized in playing "Asian" roles (Like Wo Fat on Hawaii Five O), even though he apparently had no Asian ancestry. His stage name was a phonetic spelling of his initials "K.D>" for Kenneth Dickerson. There had earlier been a British TV series based on the Judge Dee books, but I don't think they used any Asian actors. Timothy Dalton appeared in one episode.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

If you get a chance, please watch the pilot for Virtuality, which was released and aired on TV as a movie.

It is a crying shame this did not become a show. My wife and I were blown away by it and ready for it to be awesome.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

The Adventures of Superpup was supposed to capitalize on the success of Superman. It was filmed but never seen on TV. The few clips I've seen look hilarious, but I guess somebody decided it was too ridiculous.
Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6eDkczp00

Last edited by furryman; 03-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Poor Devil, 1973. It starred Sammy Davis Junior as a clutzy minion of Lucifer, who can't seem to harvest his requisite quota of souls. Just to see Sammy with horns, flashing the Devil sign like at a Black Sabbath concert...
Its available for viewing on Amazon Prime right now! And its got Adam West, Christopher Lee, and Jack Klugman? What the heck kind of a fever dream is this?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I think you're a little confused here. Mariette Harltley played a two-naveled lady Lyra-a in Roddenberry's Genesis II in 1973, which had no space station.

She played a one-naveled Lisa Karger aboard a space station alongside Gary Lockwood in Earth II in 1971, a series that had nothing to do with Roddenberry.

Unless, of course, I'm being whooshed and you're deliberately conflating the two.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-07-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I think you're a little confused here. Mariette Harltley played a two-naveled lady Lyra-a in Roddenberry's Genesis II in 1973, which had no space station.

She played a one-naveled Lisa Karger aboard a space station alongside Gary Lockwood in Earth II in 1971, a series that had nothing to do with Roddenberry.

Unless, of course, I'm being whooshed and you're deliberately conflating the two.
Didn't realize she was on both those pilots. My mistake re: navels.

As long as we're setting the record straight, the Khigh Dhiegh* show was called Khan!

* Not Dheigh.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
As long as we're setting the record straight, the Khigh Dhiegh* show was called Khan!

* Not Dheigh.
Khan! actually got on the air, on CBS I think, in the winter of '74--'75. It lasted only three or four episodes before it was yanked.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:59 PM

Fox rejected the pilot for Heat Vision and Jack, which featured Jack Black as a super-intelligent former astronaut and Owen Wilson as the voice of his motorcycle.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
There was going to be an animated Buffy series called, appropriately enough, Buffy: The Animated Series. Unfortunately, it never got to air.
There was also talk of a solo series for Giles, called Ripper. At first there was talk of making it about his younger days, but then it was supposed to be a horror anthology with Giles as the host.

I would have loved to see a show about Riley and his wife; it sure looked to me like they were being set up for a spinoff series. But, apparently not.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:10 AM

There was supposed to be a spin off of "The Middle" featuring Sue Sue Heck.

AFAIK, it never happened.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

If you truly want to research all American TV pilots that never made it to be a series, there's a book called Encyclopedia of Unaired Television Pilots, 1945-2018 by Vincent Terrace. It lists 2,923 of them. It gives the cast, crew, and a description of the plot that's between one sentence and one paragraph.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Here's a YouTube collection of 104 unsold TV pilots (and not just clips but the entire pilot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D2W...tdAFLT1_gEde5m
Old 03-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Mulholland Drive. It was planned as a TV series, and a variety of weird unrelated scenes were shot. The TV project fell through, so the unrelated scenes were pasted into a feature movie. Nobody, including the writer/director, can make sense of it, but it gets 7.8 IMDB score!
Old 03-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

installLSC writes:

> Zelda" would have spun off Sheila James' character from "Dobie Gillis" in 1961. Sadly
> enough, Sheila would relate the reason it never got past the pilot stage was the
> network execs found out she was a lesbian.

It was (according to the websites I just read) a little vaguer than this. The character of Zelda Gilroy was different in several ways from a typical female American TV character at the time. She was smarter than all the other characters on the show, more willing to put herself forward and not stay in the background, and not classically pretty. After the pilot wasn't picked up, she went back to Dobie Gillis and did another season. One website says that the pilot was perhaps deliberately done so as not to get picked up as a series. It was only to keep Sheila James (and director Rod Amateau) on contract at CBS. The reason that CBS president James Aubrey supposedly gave (and this was never openly stated but passed to Amateau and then to James and then to interviewers of her) for not picking it up was that the character was a little too butch for his tastes. James went on to do another TV show called Broadside for one season. She later did a pilot for a revived version of Dobie Gillis and then a TV movie of it. She did appearances on a number of other TV shows. Her acting career then went into decline, probably because of the same reason that it goes into decline for many actresses after 30 and most actresses after 40, because too many TV executives didn't want to hire any actress they didn't consider young and pretty.

Last edited by Wendell Wagner; 03-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Didn't realize she was on both those pilots. My mistake re: navels.

* Not Dheigh.
Too bad they never had Shatner on.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:31 PM

When the show debuted, Dhiegh gave an interview (for TV Guide, I think) in which he said (IIRC) "The last thing TV needs now is another private eye series, but somehow I thought Khan! was different."

I wish now I had caught an episode or two. It must have been interesting.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I would like to have seen a Doc Savage series. At one point, Chuck Connors was being considered for the role. Sadly, we had to settle for Ron Ely. (I like Ely, but he is not in the same league. Connors would have been awesome!)

The pilot got a theatrical release, but you can tell that it was intended for TV. There are a couple of abrupt scene changes that are jarring in the theater, but would have worked fine around a commercial break.

I think they were hoping for a Saturday morning time slot. The pilot has a bigger budget than most live-action kids' shows of the era, but it has the same general aesthetic.