Old 03-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Woody Allen's autobiography cancelled by publisher

Maybe he can get Amazon or Lulu to self publish it.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/81268...oyees-walk-out
Old 03-06-2020, 04:24 PM

That's a big deal (and very welcome). Given the timing, it's likely they already had produced the physical books, so this was a very costly decision.

Hachette royally screwed up from the start. They kept it a secret that they'd acquire the book, even from their own employees. Most of the staff learned about it from the Associated Press this week. Good on them for making their voices heard.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:45 PM

Well, this will launch the expected back-and-forth on all the forums and comment sections:

Woody's weird!
Mia's weirder!
Dylan was coached!
Soon-Yi!
Ronan is too credulous! He was only three!
He's really Frankie's kid!
I never liked his movies anyway!
Molesters are never one-and-done!
It's "fora", not "forums"!
Only if you speak Latin!

This is my contribution.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:12 PM

can they send the books to 3rd world countries like they do with T shirts for the losing Super Bowl team?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 PM

Stephen King is coming in for another hot take (I forget what he said recently, but I gave him a bit of side-eye).

Quote:
@StephenKing
The Hachette decision to drop the Woody Allen book makes me very uneasy. It's not him; I don't give a damn about Mr. Allen. It's who gets muzzled next that worries me.
They're not muzzling him, my dude. They were trying to get the money from selling his books AND not pissing off their staff and stable of writers. Allen has his first amendment rights to speak and write whatever he wants. No one has to publish it, however.

The unmitigated gall of these assholes to have Ronan on one hand and sneaking and hiding Woody on the other hand.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:04 PM

Mr Konigsberg is free to say whatever he wants to whomever wishes to be his audience. However, after his notable film HONEY I FUCKED THE KIDS, his appeal may be dwindling among moral people. Sad.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:52 PM

Whoever does publish that book will get a windfall because a lot more people will want to read the book now.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:14 PM
Elephant Whisperer

It'll be published eventually. Can't wait to read it. I'm a huge fan.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:10 AM

I recently watched Woody Allen's latest movie, A Rainy Day In New York. It hasn't been released in the US, I think.

In this movie, a middle-aged film director (very like Woody Allen himself), a middle-aged film producer, and an older movie star all try to get involved with a very young girl.

Talk about lack of self-awareness!

The only redeeming feature of the movie is the performance by Elle Fanning. I didn't know she could be such a wonderful comedy actress.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:01 AM

Manhattan used to be one of my favorite Woody Allen movies. But the Mariel Hemingway sub-plot is just too icky to watch now.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
I recently watched Woody Allen's latest movie, A Rainy Day In New York. It hasn't been released in the US, I think.

In this movie, a middle-aged film director (very like Woody Allen himself), a middle-aged film producer, and an older movie star all try to get involved with a very young girl.

Talk about lack of self-awareness!

The only redeeming feature of the movie is the performance by Elle Fanning. I didn't know she could be such a wonderful comedy actress.
I saw a trailer for this in the movie theater a few months ago, and I was immediately struck by a sense of wrongness about it, even before they said who the director was. I can't explain it.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Woody Allen has always creeped me out, even before the whole Soon-Yi thing. And to say there's a difference between natural children and adopted children? I wonder how the two daughters he adopted with Soon-Yi feel on that statement.

Remember, his filing a custody request was the start of that whole brouhaha. Not Mia. Woody started the ball rolling.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It'll be published eventually. Can't wait to read it. I'm a huge fan.
If I saw someone reading it I would wonder if they too were a pedophile, or just utterly lacking in sensitivity and empathy. I'm probably not the only one who would, so maybe just read it at home.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Maybe he can get Amazon or Lulu to self publish it.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/81268...oyees-walk-out
If he did self-publish it on Amazon, he wouldn't need to "get them" to do it unless he wa trying to sell it to one of their imprints. They pretty much publish anyone who can get past the quality control inspection. And given the publicity from this, he'd probably make more money than he would have from this deal.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:48 AM

he can probably find a small publisher to put it out. I assume publishing contracts have an out clause for situations like this?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
he can probably find a small publisher to put it out. I assume publishing contracts have an out clause for situations like this?
He didn't need one. Hachette released him of all obligations. I've heard nothing about whether he has to return the advance, though.

Yes, it was incredibly stupid of Hachette to hide this from their staff, who were undoubtedly basking in the glow of Ronan Farrow's book. Moreover, not notifying Dylan Farrow, presumably also because they wanted to keep the book a secret, is killing them in public opinion, even though most books are not actually fact checked unless libel is involved.

The other side of the argument is that everybody gets to tell their story, even people who have been found guilty in court. (Allen has not. He's been cleared in multiple investigations.) Trial by media is an unambiguously bad thing. The history of publishing every side of every issue by every player in every controversy is not subject to cancel culture. The public is free to object, to boycott, to rave on Twitter, but the fundamental freedom to publish overrides everything.

Hachette blew it by their behavior. The way to publish controversial material is from the highest possible moral ground. Where to find that now will be difficult. A lot of people will be looking for it and I haven't any doubt that the book will appear. As it should.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Please tell me the title of this book is "If I Did It".
Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Please tell me the title of this book is "If I Did It".
Apropos of Nothing can be translated as "I didn't do it!"
Old 03-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
If I saw someone reading it I would wonder if they too were a pedophile, or just utterly lacking in sensitivity and empathy. I'm probably not the only one who would, so maybe just read it at home.
That's pretty over the top. I would not deign to acknowledge such claptrap.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When is Hachette bringing out the Roman Polanski memoir?
Old 03-07-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Well, this will launch the expected back-and-forth on all the forums and comment sections:

Woody's weird!
Mia's weirder!
Dylan was coached!
Soon-Yi!
Only if you speak Latin!

This is my contribution.
Nice, but you forgot "Cancel Culture is morally dubious."
Old 03-08-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post

Woody's weird!
Mia's weirder!
Dylan was coached!
Soon-Yi!
Only if you speak Latin!

This is my contribution.
Yeah, we really just need a commonly accepted shorthand, like "Argument #27".
Old 03-08-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, not a single biography of Hitler has been published since 1945, for very similar reasons.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That’s absurd. Besides the fact that he’s been cleared of molesting a child, Woody Allen is sort of known for something other than his weird marriage. And even if it was a book about a man who was famous for being a creep, the idea that you’d ascribe such motivations to a reader of a book is ridiculous.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
When is Hachette bringing out the Roman Polanski memoir?
When they hire his latest 13-year-old victim GF to edit. BTW Hachette's owner, besides focusing on media, has built aircraft, spacecraft, missiles, race cars, and electric bikes. But media seems more remunerative.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:28 PM

His French publisher wants to continue with the book:
Quote:
Éditions Stock is hoping to go ahead with publication on 29 April, according to French reports, with chief executive Manuel Carcassonne telling Le Point: “Woody Allen is a great artist, film-maker, writer, and his New York Jewish humour can still be read in every line of this autobiography, in self-mockery, modesty, and the art of disguising the tragic in comedy. Including at his expense.”

Carcassonne told the French magazine that he was not sure he would be able to continue with publication plans – after Hachette US cancelled publication, the rights returned to Allen – but he said he would do everything he could to release the book. “We need to recover the rights which have been returned to the author. And above all, let’s be frank, it’s the author alone who will decide.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...s-stock-france

Note, Editions Stock is a French publisher, a subsidiary of Hachette Livre, which itself is part of the Lagardère Group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ditions_Stock

Last edited by PastTense; 03-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:09 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Yeah, not a single biography of Hitler has been published since 1945, for very similar reasons.
There has not been one autobiography.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
That we know of!
Old 03-09-2020, 01:24 PM

Mein Kampf is partly an autobiography by Hitler written in 1925 so it does not cover his whole life.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

ISTM that once you start explaining why shtupping your girlfriend's daughter isn't so bad, you've lost.

Annie Hall is a truly great film. Bananas and What's Up, Tiger Lily? are hysterically funny. It's easier to enjoy the films if I can believe in the neurotic New York Jewish nebbish persona, and not in the creepy old man one.

Sorry/not sorry - Purple Rose of Cairo was stupid, Stardust Memories was actively unpleasant to watch, Crimes and Misdemeanors was morally bankrupt and I haven't seen many of the others since. Go away, Woody - you had a great run but I don't like you anymore.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 03-09-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Yeah, we really just need a commonly accepted shorthand, like "Argument #27".
Let’s call it The Hatchie Dialogue
Old 03-09-2020, 11:28 PM

I just realised something about Woody Allen's movie A Rainy Day in New York.

In the movie, the famous middle-aged film director who is hitting on the attractive teen girl is called Roland Pollard - a name not too far off from Roman Polanski.

I have a feeling that something is going on here, not mere coincidence or obliviousness on Allen's part. Is this Allen's way of giving the middle finger to the world?
Old 03-10-2020, 04:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't worry about closed-minded people such as yourself.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Right. And if someone is reading OJ's If I DID IT, they have gotten away with murder.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Right. And if someone is reading OJ's If I DID IT, they have gotten away with murder.
They likely haven't. But it is odd to purchase that book, supporting the guy making money off of his murders and thumbing his nose at the justice system. It is not a book I would openly read in public, due to the implications that I'm okay with giving money to that man.

The same applies to Allen's book. I'm not going to support the guy who most likely got away with child molestation. And I would think it odd of people who would purchase it and read it publicly. Like it or not, doing such makes a statement about your values.

No, the person reading it is likely not a pedophile. But they are okay with giving money to one.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
They likely haven't. But it is odd to purchase that book, supporting the guy making money off of his murders and thumbing his nose at the justice system. It is not a book I would openly read in public, due to the implications that I'm okay with giving money to that man.
Actually, a court awarded the rights of the book to the Goldman family, so by purchasing it you're supporting the family of one of his victims, not OJ.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Actually, Mein Kampf went back into print for the first time since WWII in 2017. I'm not sure when, but in answer to an SD query about Hitler's living relatives, Uncle Cecil made mention of said relatives trying to collect on back royalties for Hitler's book. Can you imagine that?
Old 03-10-2020, 02:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
Actually, Mein Kampf went back into print for the first time since WWII in 2017.
In Germany, I presume you mean.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
I'm not sure when, but in answer to an SD query about Hitler's living relatives, Uncle Cecil made mention of said relatives trying to collect on back royalties for Hitler's book. Can you imagine that?
That is, as we surviving Juden say, chutzpah.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:37 PM
SDSAB

I like some but not all of Allen's movies, and have been generally creeped out by him since the whole Soon-Yi thing blew up. I'm sure he can find another publisher, or even self-publish, if he wants. The controversy over Hachette's decision will probably only boost sales for whichever publishing house eventually puts his icky tome on bookstore shelves.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTraina View Post
I don't worry about closed-minded people such as yourself.
AlTraina, on this message board, we have a special area, the BBQ Pit, set aside for attacks against other posters. Personal insults are not permitted in any of the other forums. This is an official Warning to learn and follow the rules of the board.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

AlTraina, on this message board, we have a special area, the BBQ Pit, set aside for attacks against other posters. Personal insults are not permitted in any of the other forums. This is an official Warning to learn and follow the rules of the board.
Can I request a clarification in that regard? This comment appeared in response to saying that reading the book would make you appear to be a pedophile (or to be lacking in sensitivity or empathy), directed at somebody for saying they wanted to read it.

While the "close minded" comment reads as an insult and that much is clear enough, did the "pedophile" comment not count as such too? Sorry if this isn't the place for asking such questions, but I would like to understand. They're obviously both insulting things to say, but it seems only one qualifies as an 'insult' where the rules are concerned. Just trying to get a handle on what counts as overstepping the mark and what doesn't.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Can I request a clarification in that regard? This comment appeared in response to saying that reading the book would make you appear to be a pedophile (or to be lacking in sensitivity or empathy), directed at somebody for saying they wanted to read it.

While the "close minded" comment reads as an insult and that much is clear enough, did the "pedophile" comment not count as such too? Sorry if this isn't the place for asking such questions, but I would like to understand. They're obviously both insulting things to say, but it seems only one qualifies as an 'insult' where the rules are concerned. Just trying to get a handle on what counts as overstepping the mark and what doesn't.
Ah. I see. Insulting a group vs insulting a person: "such as yourself" tips the balance.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 AM

This is so bogus. His own son, who was a teenager in the house at the time and is now a licensed psychotherapist, says there's no way the molestation actually happened. The Yale experts who investigated it and interviewed Dylan believe it was a confabulation. Woody passed a polygraph. No one has ever accused Woody of any other misconduct (unless you are convinced his marrying Soon-Yi, a perfectly legal act, qualifies). Mia Farrow had a huge motive to try to undermine the ex who had left her. And we think the first time Woody, if he were a pedophile, would think to do this would be after the separation with other kids and a babysitter in the house? Please.

Allen is one of the great artists in history and has been horribly mistreated.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-13-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Woody passed a polygraph.
Might as well say "Woody sank to the bottom when we dunked him"...
Quote:
No one has ever accused Woody of any other misconduct
Do you mean specifically paedophilia, or do 16 y.o girls count? Because there've been accusations.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Might as well say "Woody sank to the bottom when we dunked him"...

Do you mean specifically paedophilia, or do 16 y.o girls count? Because there've been accusations.
If 16 year olds are the baseline than likely 90% of rock/pop/hip hop artists should be suspect. Or is the difference that one is an ugly nebishy Jewish man?
Old 03-13-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
If 16 year olds are the baseline than likely 90% of rock/pop/hip hop artists should be suspect. Or is the difference that one is an ugly nebishy Jewish man?
What makes you think I don't also condemn those rock/pop/hip-hop stars?

And 90% is a stretch.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:10 PM

No, 16 year olds don't count.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
No, 16 year olds don't count.
Statch? What's that?
Old 03-13-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote: