Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 PM

Mmmkay.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 AM

Kate Winslet...

Also Timothée Chalamet, Elle Fanning, and Selena Gomez.

They all happily worked with Allen on A Rainy Day in New York. Then the media and their fans jumped on them, so they quickly recanted, donated their salaries to women's causes, and said how much they repented of their heresy. If they hadn't, their careers would have been damaged and they would never have heard the end of it.

Of course, they may have genuinely changed their minds about Allen.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:43 PM

Yup, genuine change of heart. That's the ticket!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Social shame persuading relatively powerful people to "change their minds" (authentically or not) and oppose assisting child rapists like Polanski is a very good thing, and should be encouraged.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:24 PM

This thread is about Woody Allen. That's what we are talking about. Nice try moving those goalposts!
Old 03-26-2020, 05:46 AM

An intelligent, well researched appraisal of Woody Allen & this appalling fiasco via this link;
https://adamsmith.wordpress.com/2020...g-free-speech/
Old 03-26-2020, 07:15 AM

The snippets I've seen, although coming from anti-Allen sources, don't do him any favors.

This might be the case that there's an argument for wanting it to be published if he is going to shoot himself in the foot.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casparlatete View Post
An intelligent, well researched appraisal of Woody Allen & this appalling fiasco via this link;
https://adamsmith.wordpress.com/2020...g-free-speech/
Thanks! Drifts towards and appraisal of the Woody Allen book deal around the 17:30 mark.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
This might be the case that there's an argument for wanting it to be published if he is going to shoot himself in the foot.
Oh that mine adversary had written a book!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The snippets I've seen, although coming from anti-Allen sources, don't do him any favors.

I'm about forty pages in, and it's extremely entertaining--and shockingly self-deprecating. And not in the usual way that comes across as charming or makes someone look better overall. I guess in a very broad way it might come across better than trying to do blatant self-hagiography, but if I were his agent I definitely would have advised him to maybe round off some of the rough edges or leave off a few anecdotes and word choices. I respect the frankness though, even if it makes me feel a little tense on his behalf.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:15 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Cannot wait to buy it.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM

Thanks eunoia for pin-pointing Lional Shriver's delivery on Allen in my link above. There's also more boisterous support for him from Taki in The Spectator;

'................ Which brings me to Woody Allen. It used to be called being railroaded, now it’s called justice. Justice for whom, I ask you. Mia Farrow is a fabulist who has a Medea-like revenge in mind because Woody dropped her and went for a young South Korean whom Farrow had long ignored and maltreated after having adopted her for the publicity. The two Farrows, Ronan and Dylan, I think of as egregious liars and publicity freaks. Woody was twice judged innocent of Dylan’s charges in the ’90s, yet the cancel culture prevails and kills Woody’s memoir. In other words, how dare he publish something that Mia and Ronan and Dylan don’t agree with? The trio would have fitted in nicely back in the ’30s in Berlin. Woody Allen, as good an artist as there is nowadays, is canceled by three of the biggest phonies on the planet, and Hachette plays along, as outrageous an injustice as there is, but par for the course. Cowardice is not new, especially in movies and publishing.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
There's also more boisterous support for him from Taki in The Spectator;
Taki in the Spectator is a right-wing nutjob, or the British equivalent. He doesn't have any credibility.

I see that you carefully removed what he said immediately before the paragraph you quoted. Here it is:

Quote:
On a more serious matter, the deficiencies of globalisation are revealed when people who have been lulled to sleep by those EU con artists wake up to countless threats while the unelected scrubbers in Brussels drink and make merry, though no longer at our expense. The mainstream left-wing media is as complicit as hell in the latest fiasco, more concerned that no Chinese person feels insulted than with what the criminal commie government tried to conceal.

Globalisation is a fait accompli. There is no turning back, alas. But a re-examination of our reliance on China as ground zero for manufacturing needs a second look. Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods were long overdue, but then up popped the virus, so people put two and two together and got five. The Chinese rulers are bad and mad but they didn’t infect us on purpose. Still, China took away factory production from Uncle Sam, and I’d like to see the good uncle claim those jobs back. But will Americans sit in large numbers behind sewing machines stitching up clothing? Nah, the jobs should leave China and head for Vietnam and Bangladesh. Americans watch too much television and cannot stay awake over assembly lines fitting electronics into circuit boards. Also one needs strength of character and patience to work on an assembly line, and Americans are now too feminised by the constant #MeToo propaganda to be able to hold firm. Plus they cry so easily now, and everything upsets them. They actually root for movie superheroes to defeat super monsters. The whole nation has been dumbed down to moronic levels.

Which brings me to Woody Allen...
And what he said immediately after:

Quote:
America has turned into a bad joke, a paradise for phonies, self-important grievance-mongers, foul-mouthed whiny women, vomit-inducing feminists and New York Times imbeciles. Not that France is any better, but at least they had the guts to give my friend Roman Polanski first prize. I was around Polanski in the year that his latest accuser claims to have been raped by him. It seems strange that the woman in question kept silent all these years, then suddenly went public the day his great film about Dreyfus was released.

This should sound a bell to wake us all up about what is happening. The phonies have taken over and are using strong-arm tactics to silence anyone they don’t agree with.
Quoting Taki in support of Woody Allen doesn't do him any favours.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 AM

GreenWyvern; Taki's views on the USA, Polanski or anything else are not the subject of this thread, he has views on many things like we all do, perhaps you don't agree with them, but quoting them as if they in some way nullify what he has to say about the Allen family does not remove their validity. Woody has been stitched-up & anything said by anybody in his support does do him a favour in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
GreenWyvern; Taki's views on the USA, Polanski or anything else are not the subject of this thread, he has views on many things like we all do, perhaps you don't agree with them, but quoting them as if they in some way nullify what he has to say about the Allen family does not remove their validity. Woody has been stitched-up & anything said by anybody in his support does do him a favour in my opinion.
On the contrary, the fact that Taki is opposed to feminism in general, opposed to #MeToo, friendly with Polanski, boasts of his sexual conquests, etc. is highly relevant.

Taki knows nothing more about Allen than anyone else does, but he will support him on general principles regardless. He knows what his readers want to hear. He is not a person whose opinion carries any weight. It means nothing.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 PM

GreenWyvern; I see you are a person of the, "shoot the messenger" type, preferring to dismiss someone entirely because their views on 'A' don't chime with your views on 'B', which is easier than countering what has actually been said by reasoned argument.

In such a narrow-minded outlook, it appears that one must either agree with someone's position on everything they uphold, or dismiss any utterance they make on any subject, which is like saying, either one has to agree with everything, say, Nietzsche has said, or nothing at all? am I correct?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 AM

Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 AM

Back in 2003 he had deals for an autobiography for a total of nearly $5 million dollars--but reportedly wanted more so didn't do the book:
https://nypost.com/2003/10/17/take-t...-now-up-to-5m/

With only a 75,000 first printing from a minor publisher it is clear he is going to make only a small fraction of what he could have made in 2003.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
With only a 75,000 first printing from a minor publisher it is clear he is going to make only a small fraction of what he could have made in 2003.
75,000 hard cover at $27. No paperback edition yet.

But a LOT of people buy ebooks by preference today. It's currently #1 in Movie History & Criticism on Amazon's Kindle store, and rated 4.6/5.

And how are sales in countries other than the USA?
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM

I've read the book. It was entertaining, quite funny in places. It didn't change my mind about anything. I still think Woody's icky but short of being a sex criminal. I still think Mia's a monster, hiding behind her "saint who adopts crippled children" persona. I wasn't aware that Woody's movies lost as much money as they apparently do, or that Tony Roberts and Michael Murphy are not, in fact, the same person.

He doesn't mention Babi Christina Engelhardt, the teenage (at the time) model he is alleged to have dated in the 70s. I find his explanation of the Mariel Hemingway flirtation unconvincing. I compiled the budgets and grosses as estimated by the IMDB* to get a context for the lawsuit against producer Jean Doumanian and her business partner / boyfriend Jacqui Safra. Those movies lost a metric shit-ton of money, possibly because Doumanian and Safra forgot to distribute them in Europe.

If you believe Mia, this won't change your mind. If you believe Moses, this won't add much in the way of information. Woody has some glaring moral blind spots, but he doesn't slap his kids or throw telephones at them. Mia scares me way more and always has.