Old 03-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Jim Peebles, local idiot

First, he pushes some weird theory that coronavirus is no big deal and is really just that vaping disease that swept through the US a few months back:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=890706

People tried to show him how many ways he was wrong, but he kept trudging right along with his ridiculous medical theory. While posters continued to give him the benefit of the doubt (just figured he was a stupid idiot), I'm pretty sure he was posting that as a loyal Trump ass-licker, trying to play down the seriousness of the disease so that the Trump administration's inept response won't seem quite so awful.

Now, he's pushing theories about light and particles that have been disproven for over a century:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...1&postcount=60
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...2&postcount=70
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...2&postcount=71

My favorite is when he "bets on ether":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Idiot
Virtual particles are more ridiculous than ether. I am betting on ether. There is nothing wrong with the absolute reference frame that entails. Newton demonstrated that with his Bucket Argument, which you probably have the materials to try at home....
I called him out in my idiotic Trump supporters thread, but I think his contributions to General Questions deserve their own thread.

Question for the board: If someone is that wrong in GQ, is that reportable? It seems like a flat-earther coming into a GQ about whether the Earth is a perfect sphere or just an oblate spheroid (or whatever it is) should be banned from the thread.

Since this is the pit, I should add: darn, shoot, dagnabbit!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 AM

Jim Peebles. Oh, right. A poster on the SDMB. I thought that you where talking about a Republican Senator. Pretty much the same I guess. I stopped giving any of them any consideration about 2 years ago.

One moron is pretty much the same as another.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Question for the board: If someone is that wrong in GQ, is that reportable? It seems like a flat-earther coming into a GQ about whether the Earth is a perfect sphere or just an oblate spheroid (or whatever it is) should be banned from the thread.

Since this is the pit, I should add: darn, shoot, dagnabbit!
Based on my experience, if a person comes into a GQ thread that hasn’t received a real answer and pushes an ignorant guess or crazy pet theory that can be subject to warning. It’s like replying to a question with a joke; you wait until the answer is in the thread before getting silly.

But I don’t think posting incorrect information in general is disallowed nor should it be. Fighting the ignorant is part of fighting ignorance. It’s helpful to see misinformation corrected in GQ. That’s one of its purposes.

Of course if a person persists in pushing things after being told their views are flawed, that can be sanctioned. I’ve seen plenty of people banned from the site for that. It only comes after a pattern is established and they have ignored previous warnings.

I’m no mod of course and the above is my opinion based on what I’ve seen here so I may be incorrect. Oh, and clearly Jim Peebles is a chronic fuckwit. Ether? Really?
Old 03-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

The first time I saw his name, for a split second I thought it might be this Jim Peebles - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Peebles
“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton
Old 03-07-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
The first time I saw his name, for a split second I thought it might be this Jim Peebles - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Peebles
Well, the one you mention is an astrophysicists and so could be expected to reply to a thread about light moving. I suspect the physicist's answer may be different from our local idiot's.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 PM

I wonder if he still believes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 PM

Holy fuck he's stupid.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 AM

In this fascinating thread he is disturbed that some state governors are clamping down on chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine (the subject of his OP) because as is well-known by now it's a therapy of choice for Covid-19 (see his Post #9).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
I'm not worried about it [the virus], but one is considered a public health threat if one says that. I'm convinced the antimalarial drugs work (when combined with zinc and azithromycin), and on the off chance I get a serious case I would ask my doctor for it. I don't see how it is legal for a governor to tell doctors they cant give antimalarials to patients with serious cases of coronavirus.
ETA: I think there may be a Darwin Award awaiting, with this guy's name on it.

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-26-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Are we sure this isn’t just trolling?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 AM

What's with all the right-wing idiots so concerned about Democratic Governors impinging on their "freedom" by trying to contain the epidemic? Are these the same idiots that oppose mandatory vaccines?

If Gun & Ammo shops offered free delivery, would their objections to Stay-at-Home go away?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I wonder if his brain melts and flows out of his ears if somebody would try and explain the double slit experiment to him.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM

I came back her to post that thread that Senegoid posted. I have to say, JP is actually stupider than I gave him credit for. He's not just an idiot, he's a dangerous idiot.

I know that people were stupidly accused of worshiping Obama back in the day, but this guy actually seems to hang on every word our Dr. Orange says. He firmly believes that that drug mixture works based on Trump's say-so, from what I can tell. What a fucking idiot.

Does he post non-idiotic things in Cafe Society or the Game Room? Or, is he all idiocy, all the time?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM

I dispute your labeling of Jim Peebles as a local idiot. Given the wonders of the Internet, he's at least a national idiot.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I wonder if his brain melts and flows out of his ears if somebody would try and explain the double slit experiment to him.
If you watch it only flows out of one ear but if you don't watch, you can tell by the interference pattern that it flowed out of both ears simultaneously.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Holy fuck he's stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
In this fascinating thread he is disturbed that some state governors are clamping down on chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine (the subject of his OP) because as is well-known by now it's a therapy of choice for Covid-19 (see his Post #9).
Aye; this is what prompted my post. That's weapons-grade stupidity on display right there.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-26-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I dispute your labeling of Jim Peebles as a local idiot. Given the wonders of the Internet, he's at least a national idiot.
It's a fair cop.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
If you watch it only flows out of one ear but if you don't watch, you can tell by the interference pattern that it flowed out of both ears simultaneously.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
It's the World Wide Web. He's a global idiot. Potentially viral.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 03-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Well, as they say, we're living in a global village, and every village has its idiot.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 PM

The moron is at it again.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...16&postcount=5
Apparently, he's giving up on the COVID-19 = vaping idea, and is now on to another harebrained one.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
The moron is at it again.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...16&postcount=5
Apparently, he's giving up on the COVID-19 = vaping idea, and is now on to another harebrained one.
Never let it be said that JP is not an industrious idiot: "No hole too deep!"
Old 04-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Brainwashed idiot is seeing green screens.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Brainwashed idiot is seeing green screens.

I'm always seeing green screens on my computer. But, then, I'm extremely colorblind.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Opened in Quarantine rather than P&E: Bernie should have stuck with it longer even though virtually everyone who dropped out has endorsed Biden.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:18 PM

Don't forget the zinc, for the perfect COVID-19 cure. Jim Peebles' personal medical advisor, Dr. Donald J. Trump, has made this abundantly clear. You need zinc. There's a peer-reviewed paper in the Snake Oil and UFO Report Monthly involving one participant, who died of ingesting fish-tank cleaner after heeding Trump's advice, but obviously he didn't take any zinc, which proves the point.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Don't forget the zinc, for the perfect COVID-19 cure. Jim Peebles' personal medical advisor, Dr. Donald J. Trump, has made this abundantly clear. You need zinc. There's a peer-reviewed paper in the Snake Oil and UFO Report Monthly involving one participant, who died of ingesting fish-tank cleaner after heeding Trump's advice, but obviously he didn't take any zinc, which proves the point.
At this point, it's just potentially dangerous misinformation. I wish a moderator would step in.

I like when someone asked him for a peer-reviewed cite so he links to an ABC-TV segment.

Is his behavior reportable at this point? If someone was urging people to drink Clorox to cure the disease, would the mods shut them down?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At this point, it's just potentially dangerous misinformation. I wish a moderator would step in.

I like when someone asked him for a peer-reviewed cite so he links to an ABC-TV segment.

Is his behavior reportable at this point? If someone was urging people to drink Clorox to cure the disease, would the mods shut them down?
If you want to report him, there's that red triangle up in the right hand corner of every post. Feel free.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:01 PM

Peebles said this...

Quote:
It's ABC news and the interviewee is a doctor and CEO. Hardly seems quack to me. Go watch it. I provided a link to the French study (the one I infer he is talking about) in another thread.
And the thread was locked a few seconds before I answered with...

"CEO" Absolutely undermines and credibility of "doctor" here.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:

It’s clear that there’s a huge resistance to critical thinking at this point. Because that ABC segment, by claiming that the snake oil doesn’t work unless it’s sprinkled with magic fairy dust - contradicts all the other “studies” that claim that the snake oil works by itself - or that the snake oil only works when mixed with unicorn milk.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Yeah but there's been a huge run on unicorn milk lately, at least around here, and people have been hoarding magic fairy dust since at least the 1800's. What can I do? Should I just give all my faith to Jesus?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:17 PM

I suspect Jim Peeble's real first name is Tony.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
That's excellent!

I don't feel like opening up another pit thread about Magiver, but fuck that guy for cutting NYC out of the US in idiot Hewey Logan's "but science says we should be doing something different" thread.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
What can I do? Should I just give all my faith to Jesus?
It doesn't have to be Jesus. It just has to be his blood - cite. Now, as I understand it, Catholics consider wine to be the blood of Christ. Just get yourself a 5 gallon box of wine and just go crazy.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

A) Boxed wine is more likely to be 3.75 liters (the equivalent of five 750ml bottles). A five-gallon box would measure a minimum of 10.5 inches on each edge (if perfectly cubical), and unlikely to fit in most household refrigerators. And that's ignoring the 40-pound weight of the contents.

B) Catholics consider communion wine to be just wine until a priest has done the magic spell that changes it into deity-blood.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

You could also get 5 gallons of bottled wine (total) and put the bottles all in a box. Voila, 5 gallons of boxed wine!
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

That would weigh even MORE (if they were Carlo Rossi-type glass bottles).
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I can’t imagine how much 5 gallons of bottled wine would weigh!

Let’s see if I can do some rough math...

Supposedly a “standard” bottle of wine (if there is such a thing) is 750 ml. 5 gallons is 18,927 ml, so that’s about 25 bottles (more like 25 full bottles and one that’s a quarter full but I’ll round down).

An average wine bottle should weigh 2.65 lb when full, roughly, so those 25 bottles weigh 66.25 lb. That’s a heavy box!
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
A) Boxed wine is more likely to be 3.75 liters (the equivalent of five 750ml bottles). A five-gallon box would measure a minimum of 10.5 inches on each edge (if perfectly cubical), and unlikely to fit in most household refrigerators. And that's ignoring the 40-pound weight of the contents.

B) Catholics consider communion wine to be just wine until a priest has done the magic spell that changes it into deity-blood.
Well, I can as well mumble some mumbo-jumbo over my canister of wine and give it healing powers. And then get totally wasted on it. Profit!
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
An average wine bottle should weigh 2.65 lb when full, roughly, so those 25 bottles weigh 66.25 lb. That’s a heavy box!
I know an enjoyable way to make it lighter, though.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I know an enjoyable way to make it lighter, though.
“Are you drunk?”

“Yesh, but I did it for MATH!”
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's excellent!

I don't feel like opening up another pit thread about Magiver, but fuck that guy for cutting NYC out of the US in idiot Hewey Logan's "but science says we should be doing something different" thread.
What thread is that?
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
What thread is that?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=893696

CMC fnord!
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

thanks
Old Today, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

Looks more like HoneyBadgerDC started that thread than Hewey Logan...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; Today at 02:01 AM.