Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Nice LITTLE Shows

We've probably done this before but I'm doing it again.

What I mean by "little" shows for this thread are shows with a small number of episodes per season and just a few seasons. Shows like this typically are found on cable networks, nobody really talks about them, but they're quality shows that you love(d) watching. They're like indie films but for TV. Let's try to keep recommendations at shows that have been on in the past 5 years or so.

Usually shows like this give me a glimpse into the lives of people/communities I never really gave much thought to, or have no access to. Some of them I really identify with, some are all just about learning something new.

I watch a lot of TV and a lot of little shows. Here's some of my favorites:

Joe Pera Talks With You - (Adult Swim) Absolutely delightful little show on Adult Swim. There's so far 2 seasons of 9 and 13 episodes. Shows are 11 minutes a piece. The show seems to be like a boring nature documentary but it has a ton of depth with plot and characters. It's like spending the day with a protege of Fred Rogers.

Better Things - (FX, Hulu) This is a show by Pamela Adlon, starring Pamela Adlon, and is semi-autobiographical. I heard an interview with her this weekend and it was pointed out that the show's production team is very female, and the production itself "feels female." I don't know if there's a theme to the show. Maybe "mothers and daughters." Sometimes I find it frustrating, but it's always endearing.

Shrill - (Hulu) We recently talked about this one in a SDMB thread so I'll link to that. It's a show based on the memoirs of a young fat woman trying to live her life, and her struggles. It stars Aidy Bryant, who is co-writing it.

Work In Progress - (Showtime, Amazon Prime) I had no idea about this show until I saw its writer/creator/star on Colbert a couple months ago. The description is "Abby is a 45-year-old self-identified fat, queer dyke whose misfortune and despair unexpectedly lead her to a vibrantly transformative relationship. Chicago improv mainstay Abby McEnany co-created and stars in this uniquely human comedy series." I had no idea I needed a show about a fat queer dyke with massive depression, but turns out I did and I'm glad I found it!

Please Like Me - (Hulu, Australian TV) This one is a little older (ended in 2016) but it deals with homosexuality, deep friendships, life in your 20s, depression and suicide. Sometimes the characters really grated on me but I grew to love them. It was my first exposure to Hanna Gadsby whom you might remember from her Netflix comedy special.

Search Party - (TBS/HBO Max) This is just a weird show and I'm not sure if it had any deep meaning. Just some self-absorbed 20-something New Yorkers who get themselves mixed up in a plot bigger than themselves. Kind of like Girls but more light. It gets really good reviews, tho.

Mike Tyson Mysteries - (Adult Swim, Hulu) This show is just absurd. It's an animated series with 11-minute episodes. It's about Mike Tyson (as himself), his 20-something Asian-American adopted daughter, a guy who was turned into a pigeon from a curse (played by Norm MacDonald) and the ghost of the Marquis de Queesenbury (Jim Rash). They all live together and have a "Mystery Team" and go around solving mysteries. It's crude and ridiculous but it usually gets a chuckle out of me.

Kim's Convenience - (Netflix, Canadian TV) I don't think this show is "little" but it's probably not well known outside of Canada. It's just a goofy sitcom about a Korean family convenience store. But I really like the actors and the diverse cast. And of course it exposes me to a culture I have no other insight on.

Upstart Crow - (BBC2) This is a sitcom about William Shakespeare, with David Mitchell as Shakespeare. It's probably only funny to people who know a bit about Shakespeare. Watching it has made me learn more about him, at least. They do a lot of imagining what he must have been like in his day-to-day life based on how he wrote and the sort of jokes he wrote. It's by Ben Elton so it feels Blackadder-y, of course.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:45 PM

First thing that comes to mind is Detectorists.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:22 PM

Butterfly. Eleven-year-old Max identifies as a girl and wants to live her life as Maxine. Her separated parents, Vicky and Stephen, attempt to work out how best to cope with and support this huge life decision.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:28 AM

I'd recommend Ambassadors on Netflix. It stars David Mitchell and Robert Webb, more dramatic than Peepshow or Back, but with enough light touch to keep me smiling. Some good political observation on diplomacy and international politics, but mainly just a pleasure to watch.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

The End of the F***ing World - two 8 episode seasons on Netflix. Dark twisted comedy/drama.

Barry - two 8 episode seasons on HBO. Dark twisted comedy/drama.

Undone - one 8 episode season so far on Amazon. Rotoscoped, animated series spacy comedy/drama.

Last edited by don't ask; 03-10-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:00 AM
BANNED

I enjoyed the first three seasons of Maron on IFC. It is a total of 26 episodes. The 4th season was a major tonal shift that I didn't enjoy, but watched in case the show got better (it didn't) and for the sake of completeness.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 AM

Do cancelled shows count? If so, Freaks and Geeks.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Only lasted 2 seasons each but Galavant and The Exorcist.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Detroiters and Trial and Error, both lasted a couple short seasons and were really charming and hilarious.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:47 AM

Derry Girls is my perfect example of a nice little show. So freakin' funny and charming. 2 seasons of(I think) 8 eps each, with a third season on the way. It's centers on the lives of four teen girls in what appears to be the 1980s (during The Troubles) in Derry, Ireland. It never fails to make me laugh out loud, mostly due to the lead acrtresses although everyone in the cast is excellent.

Dollface (Hulu) is better than it has any right to be. It stars Kat Dennings who is best known as cynical Max from Two Broke Girls. Her character on this is similar, though much kinder hearted, so if you didn't like her on that you probably won't like this. It's just a fun, goofy show about a young woman who's boyfriend suddenly breaks up with her and she discovers she now has no life. The first ep, which features an actual old cat lady was so spot on I had to keep watching. Her two friends might put you off at first, as they did me, but give it a chance. They turn out to be very entertaining!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Frank’s Place (1987-88), starring Tim Reid, just 22 episodes. Black ivy-league professor inherits his family’s restaurant in New Orleans and travels down to sell it, gets voodoo-ed by the staff, and ends up staying down there to run it. Lots of great stuff concerning racism and intra-racism, differences between North and South, etc. Although a sitcom, it had no laugh track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_Place

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 03-10-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Detroiters and Trial and Error, both lasted a couple short seasons and were really charming and hilarious.
Yes! I love both of these! Every time someone brings up that they watched The Staircase on Netflix, I have to tell them about Trial and Error.

I forgot one - Special on Netflix, about a gay man with cerebal palsy. It's written and created by and stars said IRL man, Ryan O'Connell. Very funny and also sweet. And of course gives you a glimpse into a world very very few of us know.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Well, if you can stomach the fact that it's incomplete, The OA only has 2 seasons of 8 episodes each, and it's wonderful. But it's been cancelled, so don't hold your breath for closure.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 03-10-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Chewing Gum - (Netflix, E4) I forgot how much I LOVED this show when I first discovered it. The lead character (and writer and creator) is really endearing. It's a nice glimpse into London council estate life, a West African family, and a 24-year-old virgin. I highly recommend this one, I'm really sad it's over because I really loved the characters.

Lady Dynamite - (Netflix) Stars Maria Bamford as a fictionalized version of herself. I had a hard time getting into it at first but it really grew on me. It deals a lot with depression and anxiety, with some surreal moments. Also some heavy moments. Lots of Maria's famous friends blow through. Reminds me of Fleabag a bit, but came first.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I was just checking out the recommendation of Dollface (I'll check that out for sure!) and saw Esther Povitsky, and that reminded me of HER show, Alone Together (Freeform, Hulu). Much like several of the shows I've mentioned it's just a little comedy done by up-and-coming comedians about quirky, bratty millennials and their struggles in life. The lead characters aren't really too sympathetic but they grow on you. It's fun to laugh at their cluelessness.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
It stars Kat Dennings who is best known as cynical Max from Two Broke Girls
I can think of two other things Kat Dennings is known for...
Old 03-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTraina View Post
Ha! Those are there too, but are definitely never alluded to
Old 03-10-2020, 02:47 PM

Flight of the Conchords
Old 03-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTraina View Post
Why don't you tell us what those are?
Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Taboo (Hulu) - has only one season with 8 episodes and it’s likely that is all there ever will be. On the short list for best television of the past decade as far as I’m concerned.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Do cancelled shows count? If so, Freaks and Geeks.
If you like that, watch Undeclared, from the same people. Also cancelled after one season.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 03-10-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:43 AM

I like bingeing TV shows with a relatively small number of episodes because it seems like less of an investment to watch the whole series. Detroiters and Detectorists were mentioned above, but here are some of my other favourites:

Delocated (Adult Swim, 30 episodes): A TV network creates a reality show about an idiot in Witness Protection who is being hunted by the Russian mob. The short first season (where he is being hunted by an equally inept Russian gangster) was funny, but the second season is possibly my favourite season of any TV series, ever. A great combination of black comedy and silly comedy.

Enlightened (HBO, 18 episodes): A corporate executive comes back from rehab eager to make improvements to her life but she has a tough time of it when she gets demoted to doing data entry in a sub-basement. Laura Dern does an amazing job making you want to root for a flawed character.

Cock'd Gunns (IFC Canada, 13 episodes): An inept rock band tries to make it big in this semi-improvised series. It's kind of like "Anvil! The Story of Anvil" with a touch of "Flight of the Conchords". Some catchy songs, too.

The Comeback (HBO, 2 episodes): Lisa Kudrow is great in this sad and funny mockumentary about a has-been actress who gets a second chance after getting a role in a (terrible) sitcom. The second season was made 9 years after the first season. A real labour of love.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America, 18 episodes): The TV show inspired by Douglas Adams's book is not necessarily a faithful adaptation, but it's charming and funny in its own right.

(part 2 of my list will come later)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Fawlty Towers - John Cleese of Monty Python runs a small hotel, wackiness ensues. Only 12 episodes.

Firefly - Probably everyone interested in this has seen it, but it's a terrific space western that only lasted one season. Great cast, great dialog, great plots for the most part.

Life - Damien Lewis plays a LA cop who was framed for the murder of the family who lived next door to him, and went to prison for a long time before being exonerated. He sues and wins a lot of money and his old job back. Sarah Shahi is teamed up with him as his partner. She is an ex-addict being given another chance at being a cop, and she is expected to keep an eye on him. Damien's character has to acclimate to life outside prison, solve murders, and in his free time tries to figure out who framed him and why. Only 2 seasons but has a fairly satisfying conclusion.

Last edited by control-z; 03-11-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Enlightened (HBO, 18 episodes): A corporate executive comes back from rehab eager to make improvements to her life but she has a tough time of it when she gets demoted to doing data entry in a sub-basement. Laura Dern does an amazing job making you want to root for a flawed character.
Another former HBO series; Rome, with 22 episodes over two seasons. Really good and a lot of fun to watch. I was really sorry when it ended sooner than planned (although they crammed a lot into the ending). HBO has a lot of series, some of which lasted a while but a lot of which were short. I liked The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, particularly for the Botswana setting.

And from another premium cable network, Counterpart, twenty episodes over two seasons. A spy drama with a really unusual twist.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Taboo (Hulu) - has only one season with 8 episodes and itís likely that is all there ever will be. On the short list for best television of the past decade as far as Iím concerned.
Great show but definitely not NICE
Old 03-11-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Moone Boy - a kid in Ireland and his imaginary friend negotiate growing up in a small village.

Gravity Falls - Animated series about a brother and sister spending their summer solving supernatural mysteries that are haunting them at their Uncle's tourist trap shop. Arguably a well known show, but it had a very short run and tends to get overshadowed by other similar fantasy animation like Adventure Time or Steven Universe. There is also a new show just started with a similar tone and some crossover of creators called The Owl House.

Blunt Talk - Patrick Stewart is a talk-show anchor alongside an eclectic bunch of ne'er-do-wells who help run the show.

The Trip - Comedians Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan play fictionalised versions of themselves as they travel around, ostensibly reviewing hotels and restaurants, but really having mid-life crises and celebrity impression competitions.

No Activity - Two cops sit in a car during a stakeout and have inane conversations while nothing happens during their watch. Meanwhile just out of their line of sight, lots of things are happening. There are two versions, the original Australian one and the US adaptation. Some big names associated with it too.

Zapped - An ordinary boring man finds himself transported to a magical fantasy kingdom which is a lot less enchanting than he anticipated.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:23 PM

The Lost Room - six-episode mystery/adventure involving a bizarre motel room and historical artifacts that provide supernatural powers, excellent acting and story
Old 03-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Patriot on Amazon Prime is one of my favorite shows. Just two seasons (it looks like it got cancelled afterwards). A perfect mix of heavy drama, whimsical but dark humor, and fantastic characters.

I'm a little torn about the cancellation. On the one hand, I'd love to see more. On the other hand, I do think there is a benefit to "quitting while you're ahead" and having the entirety of the production be very good.

Great idea for a thread, by the way. It's captured quite a lot of suggestions I want to follow up on.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
The Lost Room - six-episode mystery/adventure involving a bizarre motel room and historical artifacts that provide supernatural powers, excellent acting and story
Totally classic.

I came in to nominate Wonderfalls.

We got them on DVD from the library.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Not to be that guy (okay, to be that guy) OP said "let's try to keep recommendations at shows that have been on in the past 5 years or so."
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 PM

More of my favourites.

Wrecked (TBS, 30 episodes): A group of misfits is trapped on a desert island after a plane crash. It starts as a parody of "Lost" but later it adds elements from other sources (like "The Most Dangerous Game").

Nobodies (TV Land, 20 episodes): Hugh Davidson, Larry Dorf and Rachel Ramras (comedy writers on "Mike Tyson Mysteries" and other shows) write and star in this fictionalized account of how they tried (and failed) to pitch a movie idea to Melissa McCarthy through their acquaintance with her husband Ben Falcone. In Season 2, they get sucked into writing a (lousy) sitcom instead. Talk about meta.

Corporate (Comedy Central, 20 episodes + renewed for one more season): Two junior executives deal with working at a soulless conglomerate. Kind of like "Better Off Ted", but with even more black comedy. Lance Reddick from "The Wire" is hilarious as the amoral CEO.

Ugly Americans (Comedy Central, 31 episodes): A cartoon about a (human) social worker who runs a support group for new immigrants in a version of New York City teeming with monsters.

Jeff and Some Aliens (Comedy Central, 10 episodes): Three aliens have the job of observing "Earth's most average guy" and their attempts to help him invariably make his life worse. (Kind of like the episodes of "Rick & Morty" where Rick's inventions make life worse for the family.) I thought this show was very funny and I think the premise would have been good for at least one more season.

Burning Love (E!, 42 12-minute episodes): A spoof of "The Bachelor/ette" with a Murderers' Row of great comedic actors playing the contestants.

Hunderby (Sky, 10 episodes): Julia Davis's follow-up to her deliciously evil sitcom "Nighty Night". It's a whacked-out pastiche of "Jane Eyre" and "Wuthering Heights", with dialogue that is equal parts effete and raunchy.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 PM

I've mentioned On My Block in other threads. At 28 episodes (8 of which were released today) and a fourth season not ruled out, it is pusing the limit of small, but it is good.
Also:
The animated Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts (at one season of 10 episodes so far.)
Stan Against Evil (3 seasons, 24 episodes.)
Happy! (2 seasons, 18 episodes.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 03-11-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 PM

We're currently watching Baskets on Hulu. Zach Galifinakis stars as twins Chip and Dale Baskets, with Louis Anderson absolutely knocking it out of the park as their mother, Christine Baskets. Chip flunked out of French clown college and has to get his life back together back home in Bakersfield, CA. It sounds positively fucking bizarre when I type it out and read it, and it is, but in a really, really good way.

Four seasons, 10 episodes each season. Highly recommend.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-11-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

People of Earth - (TBS, canceled) Starring Wyatt Cenac as a guy who joins a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens. Turns out the aliens are real! But everyone is not quite sure. This isn't a rip-roaring comedy but it's a...nice little show.

Another Period - (Comedy Central, canceled) Created by and starring Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome. Stars your typical bunch of Comedy Central regulars like Michael Ian Black, David Koechner, Brett Gelman. It's kind of a take off on Downton Abbey & The Kardashians, set in Rhode Island at the turn of the 20th century. About an absurdly rich family and their bratty girls and their weird husbands. And even weirder staff.

Good suggestions, everyone! I've already found some of these and started watching. Since they're so "little" I can binge them pretty quick!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:51 PM

I don't know if you've seen Mum, but it's become a favorite of mine. I know it's not a "little" show in the UK, but I found it on our PBS station, and then watched the last season when I had a free trial of Britbox. It has a grand total of 18 episodes.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Firefly - Probably everyone interested in this has seen it, but it's a terrific space western that only lasted one season. Great cast, great dialog, great plots for the most part.

Life - Damien Lewis plays a LA cop who was framed for the murder of the family who lived next door to him, and went to prison for a long time before being exonerated. He sues and wins a lot of money and his old job back. Sarah Shahi is teamed up with him as his partner. She is an ex-addict being given another chance at being a cop, and she is expected to keep an eye on him. Damien's character has to acclimate to life outside prison, solve murders, and in his free time tries to figure out who framed him and why. Only 2 seasons but has a fairly satisfying conclusion.
I immediately thought of those two, and two others, both involving time travel:

Journeyman, 2007 -- Kevin McKidd, star of Rome, as a journalist who involuntarily slips back and forth in time. Lasted only one season.

New Amsterdam, 2008 -- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, aka Jamie Lannister, as an immortal cop living and working in modern NYC. Not really time travel, but he has a lot of flashbacks. Like every show I like, lasted only one season.

And if you like it, you will probably like Highlander, which lasted several seasons, and was much better than the movies. Also about an immortal with a lot of flashbacks.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 03-12-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Is Marcella good?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM

I Am Not OK With This is a fun little show on Netflix, adapted from the same writer who did The End of the F*cking World. Kind of like if that show were combined with Stranger Things. Oddly, it stars not one but two of the juvenile cast members of It.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Afterlife with Ricky Gervais--one season and I hear there will be a second (on Netflix).

Also Catastrophe with Rob Delany and Sharon Horgan - American guy in London on business has a one-week stand with a Brit who gets pregnant. He returns and they stay a couple. Very realistic depiction of a modern relationship. Really well written with other interesting and quirky character (on Amazon).

Modern Love on Netflix is a series of stand-alone episodes about relationships.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM

You want little? I give you Little Lunch. The Office style mockumentary, but with Australian 5th graders at recess. Deals with hard-hitting issues like:
  • misplacing one's glasses
  • sharing of the monkey bars
  • disgusting lunches from home

Available on Netflix. Only 26 episodes (and only 15 minutes long) and 2 30 minute specials.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Crazyhead a UK show reminiscent of Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Howard Overman, the creator of Misfits.* Great performance by Susan Wokoma, plus some very clever touches.

Snuff Box, starring Matt Berry -- a comedy genius -- about the lives of two royal hangmen. Mostly a sketch comedy spun off from them lounging around the Executioner's Club. Very dark humor and very funny.

Berry also starred in Toast of London as a vain actor. The humor is pretty dark and bawdy, as Berry -- who is not as good as he thinks he is -- deals with life. One gag is about his archnemesis, Ray "Bloody" Purchase, whose wife is a prostitute who only charges Ray for sex.

Derry Girls, a comedy set in Northern Ireland in the 90s, where a group of teen girls deal with life in school during the Troubles. Saoirse-Monica Jackson is fall-down funny as Erin, who tries to deal with romance and other craziness. The opening gag is one of the funniest ever, and how could you not like a show where a statue of Mary cries dog piss?

*If you haven't seen Misfits, watch it now, especially if you're a fan of Umbrella Academy. It is the best superhero show that has ever been on TV.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Derry Girls, a comedy set in Northern Ireland in the 90s, where a group of teen girls deal with life in school during the Troubles. Saoirse-Monica Jackson is fall-down funny as Erin, who tries to deal with romance and other craziness. The opening gag is one of the funniest ever, and how could you not like a show where a statue of Mary cries dog piss?
Derry Girls is one of the funniest things on TV right now. If you can sleuth it out, it's worth seeing series creator Lisa McGee's previous show, London Irish. It's like Derry Girls but with more swearing, riding and (a lot more) drinking. It only ran one season, so there's just six episodes. Sister Michael and Father Peter are both in it (the latter is a regular), and Ardal O'Hanlon even has a small role, just as in Derry Girls.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
The End of the F***ing World - two 8 episode seasons on Netflix. Dark twisted comedy/drama.
This.

I thought it was brilliant. Do watch beyond the first two or so episodes before you give up, as it seems a lot bleaker than it is at the beginning. It's pretty dark, yes, but warm-hearted too.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 PM

I agree with the above post which made me think of another similar.

In The Dark (Netflix, 1 se 13eps) is pretty light. The first episode and beginning event is dark but the characters and writing keep it upbeat throughout the season.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Totally classic.

I came in to nominate Wonderfalls.

We got them on DVD from the library.
I came here to nominate the same show. Wonderful and quirky.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, critical and award darling Fleabag on Amazon is two seasons of six episodes each. The episodes are even short, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Ash vs. the Evil Dead is harder to watch, because it's not on any of the major streaming sites. It's also a bit longer at three ten episode seasons. If you like Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell, or Lucy Lawless, then it is worth watching.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 PM

From 2008, so a little early, but The Middleman was amazingly great. "Fighting Evil So You Don't Have To." The adventures of a young woman who is recruited to be an assistant to The Middleman, who is backed by the Organization Too Secret To Know. 1 season, 12 episodes.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

The new version of The Tick was excellent. It deserved to last seven seasons. It only got two.

Gentleman Jack is also good. It's ongoing, though.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Undone - one 8 episode season so far on Amazon. Rotoscoped, animated series spacy comedy/drama.
Just watched this one. Another show for which the thumbnail description Amazon gave turned me off, but actually this show was right up my alley. It's been a long time since a cliffhanger at the end of a season hit me this hard.

Most of what I would suggest has already been suggested, the rest forgotten (for the time being, at least).

I did like The Sinner on Netflix, 2 seasons of 8 episodes. Stars Bill Pullman. It's two (mostly) separate stories united by Bill's quirky but insightful lawman/detective character. Although it's a crime drama (which I usually ignore and ordinarily wouldn't recommend), it's well done and the characters make it worthwhile. And you can't go wrong with Carrie Coon, who's a major character in one of the seasons.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Frankís Place (1987-88), starring Tim Reid, just 22 episodes. Black ivy-league professor inherits his familyís restaurant in New Orleans and travels down to sell it, gets voodoo-ed by the staff, and ends up staying down there to run it. Lots of great stuff concerning racism and intra-racism, differences between North and South, etc. Although a sitcom, it had no laugh track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_Place
This was my favorite show when I was 8 years-old.