Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
This was my favorite show when I was 8 years-old.
Frankly (tee hee), I only saw a few episodes.

Am I right in thinking the only regular white-skinned cast member was an alcoholic Jewish attorney, who was helpful in getting Frank to bridge the North-South cultural barrier?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Never mind. I’m gonna binge as much as I can on YouTube.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:50 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, critical and award darling Fleabag on Amazon is two seasons of six episodes each. The episodes are even short, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I didn’t mention it in my OP but I meant I was looking for little shoes that not only were limited episodes but also limited acclaim. Fleabag is great but everyone’s seen it (exaggeration yes but it’s popular...)
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 PM

Here are a few that when I mention them to people, they've never heard of them. I'm in the U.S. and watch these on AcornTV so maybe they've gotten more fanfare in their countries of origin.

Ackely Bridge - for those of you who mentioned Derry Girls. You might like this one, too.
Kingdom - 18 episodes and staring Stephen Fry
Mystery Road - 12 episodes over 2 seasons
Jack Irish - 12 episodes over 2 seasons, plus 3 90-minute movies
Old 03-18-2020, 09:02 PM

Peter Falk's "Trials of O'Brien"

Last edited by jtur88; 03-18-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 PM

I've been meaning to make an appreciation thread for TBS comedies, but this thread looks like as good a place as any for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Search Party - (TBS/HBO Max) This is just a weird show and I'm not sure if it had any deep meaning. Just some self-absorbed 20-something New Yorkers who get themselves mixed up in a plot bigger than themselves. Kind of like Girls but more light. It gets really good reviews, tho.
The most grounded of the TBS comedies, which are usually pretty whacky. Probably my least favorite of them but still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Wrecked (TBS, 30 episodes): A group of misfits is trapped on a desert island after a plane crash. It starts as a parody of "Lost" but later it adds elements from other sources (like "The Most Dangerous Game").
Absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite shows while it was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
People of Earth - (TBS, canceled) Starring Wyatt Cenac as a guy who joins a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens. Turns out the aliens are real! But everyone is not quite sure. This isn't a rip-roaring comedy but it's a...nice little show.
Wyatt Cenac was excellent in this. Agreed that it wasn't rip-roaring like Wrecked or The Detour, but it was quite good.

Other TBS comedies I loved:

The Detour - (TBS, cancelled) Starring Jason Jones and Natalie Zea, this show is a little longer than the others (4 seasons) but it achieves Peak TBS Comedy Wackiness. Natalie Zea is a national treasure.

Miracle Workers - (TBS, currently airing season 2) - Starring Daniel Radcliffe, this anthology comedy takes it to a whole 'nother level. The first season is about angels trying to keep things running while an incompetent god (Steve Buscemi) is an unending font of bad ideas. Season 2 is set in the dark ages with no supernatural element at all. Currently my favorite show on television.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I liked the first season of Miracle Workers a lot more than the second, as it seemed to hold together better. This current second season is a bit of a mess.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:14 AM

The first season episode when god went to pitch his restaurant idea to his parents had me cracking up. The best were his over-achieving siblings who of course had created perfect utopias with their planets.

"Go on, tell them what a giraffe is..."
"It's a dog with a leg for a neck."
"Why, son?!"

Actually, of course, youtube has that scene. Slightly different than I remember, but pretty close.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:28 AM

I recommend "The Booth at the End". It's quite low budget, but has very good acting. 2 Seasons, only 5 episodes in each season, and each episode is short. 8.4 / 10 on IMDB.

J.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

If you like Rockford Files, then watch Stumptown.
If you like Columbo, then watch Russian Doll.
If you like Murder She Wrote, then watch Agatha Raisin.
If you like Cadfael, then watch Father Brown.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 AM

A British series, "The Bounder", with Peter Bowles,ran only 14 episodes.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The new version of The Tick was excellent. It deserved to last seven seasons. It only got two.

Gentleman Jack is also good. It's ongoing, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
The End of the F***ing World - two 8 episode seasons on Netflix. Dark twisted comedy/drama.

Barry - two 8 episode seasons on HBO. Dark twisted comedy/drama.

Undone - one 8 episode season so far on Amazon. Rotoscoped, animated series spacy comedy/drama.
Good choices.

Does The Good Place count? Four 13-episode seasons.

Speaking of Netflix series, I have an unreasonable love for One-Punch Man. One season thus far (with 12 or 13 eps). It's like anti-manga manga.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Derry Girls is one of the funniest things on TV right now. If you can sleuth it out, it's worth seeing series creator Lisa McGee's previous show, London Irish. It's like Derry Girls but with more swearing, riding and (a lot more) drinking. It only ran one season, so there's just six episodes. Sister Michael and Father Peter are both in it (the latter is a regular), and Ardal O'Hanlon even has a small role, just as in Derry Girls.
Thank you so much for turning me on to London Irish. It's delightful and is filling the Derry Girls shaped hole in my heart.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Good choices.

Does The Good Place count? Four 13-episode seasons.
Nah, man. We're talking about little shows that aren't on the big broadcast networks that nobody ever talks about but you really enjoyed. Suggesting The Good Place is like saying "hey, Pikachu is a tiny being. Does he count as an un-known character?"
Old 03-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
If you like Columbo, then watch Russian Doll.
OK, I don't get this one. Both great shows, but how are they in any way similar? Are you referring to Peter Falk's Columbo?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
You want little? I give you Little Lunch. The Office style mockumentary, but with Australian 5th graders at recess. Deals with hard-hitting issues like:
  • misplacing one's glasses
  • sharing of the monkey bars
  • disgusting lunches from home

Available on Netflix. Only 26 episodes (and only 15 minutes long) and 2 30 minute specials.
Thanks for the recommendation, My son and I love it. But no longer on Netflix. You should be able to watch it here.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBlob View Post
OK, I don't get this one. Both great shows, but how are they in any way similar? Are you referring to Peter Falk's Columbo?
The way Natasha Lyonne plays her character, as a crusty New Yorker who goes from person to person and asks questions. It's tenuous, I admit, but I couldn't help but think of Columbo a lot while I watched.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

How about Party Down? Twenty episodes over two seasons. Aired on Starz but also available on Hulu. It's about the staff of a Los Angeles catering company and each episode is set at a party they're catering. Reminds me a bit of Taxi.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
First thing that comes to mind is Detectorists.
One of the best shows I've EVER watched.