Old 03-19-2020, 12:14 PM

Well, I was right about two things and wrong about one.

Right: Walmart's online inventory system, at least around here, is totally useless. It is entirely imaginary -- it lists things that certain stores are supposed to have but don't, and does NOT list things that they actually DO have. This was in my continuing pursuit of hand sanitizer.

Right: My local drugstore will get their supplies of hand sanitizer and liquid soap supplies replenished, not this week, but the week that pigs learn to fly.

Wrong: My belief that Walmart is entirely useless.

The first one I visited had a whole rack of cases of hand sanitizer, but a completely different brand from any I had seen on their website, for any store. Limit was 2 to a customer, and they were disappearing even as I watched. It was just sheer luck that this particular store had obviously just got this shipment in today.

The second Walmart had none, but DID have large gallon refill jugs of the standard liquid hand soap I always use, so now I have enough soap for a year. Plus hand sanitizer. Yay! I've probably also got the coronavirus from visiting two Walmarts, but I've already used my new hand sanitizer twice.

The funny thing was that after I grabbed the two bottles of sanitizer, I looked for some other stuff and put them down on one of the many empty shelves for a moment while I checked the label on some soap. They had not been there ten seconds before a lady rushed up and grabbed them. She looked really pissed when I politely informed her they were mine, but happy when I pointed out that if she went to the front of the aisle there were still many boxes of them. It would not surprise me if by now they were already all gone.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 PM

My hair! I'm normally a haircut every 3 weeks kinda guy and I'm now deeply into week 4 and bordering on shaggy

I think it's time to bust out the clippers and scissors and let my wife give it a go. I'm guessing I'll be looking like Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber soon enough.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 PM

My wife's test came back negative for COVID-19, so good news there. Her office is working from home this week and probably next. They've approved 40 hours of emergency sick time.

I can't really work from home, but at least the office isn't cramped. Much of my daily tasks have slowed down. I process paperwork, and the actions prompting said paperwork have stopped happening. Home medical equipment isn't being ordered, caregivers aren't being trained, in-home assessments have been paused.

My toddler's daycare is open. They're taking kids' temperature at the door and not letting parents much past the lobby.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:11 PM

I've two elements to blame: COVID and snow. COVID worries us and makes us cautious; snow has isolated us for most of a week. We don't know what's at the local mountain market or in the larger stores downhill but I don't see complaints of shortages on www.nextdoor.com - mostly worries of power outages and bears. One downhill market offers online product picking with 48 hours notice so we're assembling a shopping list. We should be able to drive out on Sunday for pickup.

So, how are we personally affected by COVID? Hardly at all. Yet. I had non-invasive medical imaging scheduled for today but cancelled because snowbound, not over exposure fears. If we feel a need to remain isolated, friends and family have offered to deliver supplies to us. We may cancel an Easter family visit with grandkids. Otherwise life is about as normal except for consuming the latest news. It gets tedious.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
My wife's test came back negative for COVID-19, so good news there. Her office is working from home this week and probably next. They've approved 40 hours of emergency sick time.

Just curious... how did she get a test?
Old 03-19-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
This is both a general and a specific question:

In the scenario you describe (broadly: people are being told "stay away" because they were exposed to a known carrier **in the workplace**): how are companies handling it re requiring employees to burn limited sick leave / vacation time, versus workmen's comp?
At this point, corporate hasn't officially instituted the work-from-home policy, so self-quarantining employees (whether this is due to workplace exposure or travel) have to take vacation time. The email in which this notice was sent out also states that employees may or may not be eligible for pay. Although there are plenty of employees here who can't work from home at all (inspectors, test technicians, etc.), so there are a lot of people who could be hit hard by this.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

The county just ordered all schools closed until May 1st, when there will be a re-evaluation. Spring Break is going to last a bit, kids. Sucks to be a senior - their shit's off the board for good.

Last edited by silenus; 03-19-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Suburb of Los Angeles - My son's school district just texted all parents informing us all schools will be closed for the next two weeks. I expect them to extend the closure a third week, seeing as the fourth week is Spring Break. All work will be done on-line, with instructions to come Monday. No known cases in the schools, but they're closing down to be safe.
I lived in the Hollywood Riviera a billion years ago!

I'm retired, and the sister I live with retired last summer, so we're sheltering in place. She did a grocery run last week, so we have enough food for now. But two of my neighbors (one last night, and one this morning) offered to do grocery runs for us if we need it. Good people! And I guess that means I'm obviously an old -- not like my mind's eye sees me.

I have a bit of a cough and runny nose, but I get seasonal allergies, so who knows what I've got? The hawthornes have been blooming like crazy, so I'm blaming it on that.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:09 PM

My university has gone all online for the term (previously, though mid-April).
Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I’m working from home for at least another month. My two game nights out a week are pretty much out of the question for a few weeks. I can’t go to the gym, but I do have Pokémon GO now...

Other than that, as I’ve said in another thread, I’m in an incredibly privileged position to ride this out in most ways: age, health, finances, job, family situation. So a lot of my personal impacts are more selfish (wondering what will happen to my local game store where I play every week or the restaurant I go to every month).
Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 PM

I'm in London. My GP has closed, phone consultations only, and most of my upcoming hospital appointments have been cancelled. I'm at risk for multiple health reasons so the advice is to stay home for 12 weeks. My daughter's classes have been cancelled with no clear guidance about what to do. She's quarantined for two weeks due to contact with someone with the virus. We'd just signed up for broadband and that's been delayed even though it's remotely activated, so we're hammering the mobile data. If she's expected to work from home, it'll be difficult, because we couldn't afford the animation software she uses at uni (even though some of it has special student prices, we also couldn't afford computers good enough to run it all, so she works at college).

My pharmacist is running low on some things, and has lost my prescription again; I can't go in in person - I'm not supposed to, and I'm really not capable of walking round there yet again anyway, it's difficult at the best of times - but some of the medication is essential asthma medication, so I really, really can't go without that. I'll send my daughter in to try to get the reordered medicine tomorrow, and if they say no, to get an "emergency" prescription.

The few social events I had coming up (more than average, annoyingly), have been cancelled, and all museums are closed.

We're fairly well stocked for food and toilet roll though.

Otherwise it's mostly concern about so many people I know suffering financially from loss of work due to all this. The financial consequences are going to be huge.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

The governor just shut down pennsylvania. I was going into the office to check mail, do things around the office, etc. Monday,Wednesday, Friday. according to the governor our office is on the shut down list.

Great... now what?

Other than that my cats are happy I am home, although they are dubious about my one project per day thing.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 PM

I had a shipment of soap (and other things), but it went into the leasing office at my apartment complex and they are closed indefinitely. Is there a legal way to force them to hand over my package?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

So. At this moment, my wife and I are lucky enough to be able to weather this, at least financially. She is a college grad student with a lot of experience teaching online. In contrast with a lot of other educators, she is well qualified to move forward in the new social distancing era. And her employment comes with decent health insurance for us both. Neither of us has any debt, and we own our own apartment in NYC.

Myself, I am a musician, who has spent the last twenty years or so mostly working on Broadway, or off-Broadway, or on the touring circuit, or teaching. And of course now, all of those options are pretty much shut down. But, especially from having worked a long-running show on Broadway, I have amassed some decent savings. Not doctor-lawyer savings, but definitely enough to get us through these times. Of course, this was meant to be our nest egg, but that is a distant concern compared to now.

So we’re in relatively good shape. As long as I don’t actually come down with the virus.

Because with my age, medical condition and various other factors, I am at a high risk of suffering this disease’s more severe complications. And if I get it bad enough that I require hospitalization, at a time when triage is being practiced because of a shortage of beds and equipment—a plausible enough scenario if we follow the example of northern Italy—I strongly suspect that I would find myself on the wrong side of that triage line.

In short: my good fortune right now may be no good at all in the final analysis.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

California is locked down but I‘m still going to work. The products that we make are deemed essential to the security, health and well being of the nation. Anyone involved in production must report. I was all set to retire on May 1st. That may not be possible. I can’t complain. Many people are in serious peril. I’ll get through this.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair View Post
The governor just shut down pennsylvania.
My business is on the "necessary list". My gf's business isn't. Lots of kidding around about that.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 AM

No Travel. There's a group of us that travel 50%+and we're all home. And now my boss calls me 10 times per day. He's bored, as a lot of what we do has slowed way down. So I have to spend about 3 hours a day talking to him about absolutely nothing, and pretending to be interested. I can't take this much longer.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:19 AM

We're okay through June. Then it's anticipated my university will lay me off and we won't have health insurance. With the market crash, I'm not sure we can afford COBRA.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

There's only a week and a half left in this month, but three meetings I was scheduled to have before April all turned into Virtual Meetings.

That was quick organization.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:47 AM

I just got a text from a woman who "means well" warning me that, from inside information she has, martial law will be going into place tomorrow.

Sigh.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
RTFirefly, so sorry about your wife.
We appreciate the thought.

Now that we've adjusted to it, we're thinking that it might have been all for the best. My wife isn't the healthiest person around, and of course she would have been in a weakened state for some time after the operation. Probably a good idea for her to be as healthy as she can manage while the virus is running rampant.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:19 PM

Great! A cold front moving through is expected to bring exceptionally strong winds that are likely to cause power outages in some areas, as if we didn't have enough to worry about!
Old 03-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on how to deal with the Zombie Apocalpyse -- uh -- Coronavirus:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shaun...b6f5b7c5417c15
Old 03-20-2020, 12:56 PM

Still going to work but I have nothing at all to do there. Situation is fluid and changing daily but the company is trying to retain the staff. They are trying to ride it out until our extended Spring Break is over, next month or so. Watched a couple movies last night. Forgot what a great movie 12 Angry Men was.

I could take early retirement if I have to but I just looked at my 401k (not recommended!) and FUUUCCKK!!! Don’t look at yours.

On the bright side the wife is working six, 12 hour shifts, one and a half days off, then back to that horrible work schedule, trying to produce toilet paper to resupply Costco and other stores. Making bank but is currently unpleasant to be around. Kids are grown, house is paid off, bills are minimal. Still worried about what will happen in the next few days or weeks.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 PM

The first real effect (mild) just occurred. A grocer down in the county seat offered order picking with 48 hours notice. We put together a list, thinking snow levels would drop enough for us to get to town tomorrow (Saturday). Then they changed policy slightly, with customers reserving a time slot for order pickup. Those slots went fast! We've been put off till Tuesday. WalMart canceled their order-picking so I'll have to walk inside for prescriptions.

This portends our longer-term lifestyle change. We're fairly nonsocial anyway but usually make the 1- or 3- hour drives for shopping sprees every week or three. Now we won't go browsing stores for bargains - make lists and stick to them. The local independent mountain grocery will hopefully stay open with perishables. We'll survive but with fewer food options.

That's our personal fallout: minor. Following the situation remtely because we're unable to physically interact with the world feels strange. It's all floating past us. We'll be caught up in reality soon enough but now we're trapped inside a snowglobe, reading of humanity crumbling. More than strange.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
The first real effect (mild) just occurred. A grocer down in the county seat offered order picking with 48 hours notice. We put together a list, thinking snow levels would drop enough for us to get to town tomorrow (Saturday). Then they changed policy slightly, with customers reserving a time slot for order pickup. Those slots went fast! We've been put off till Tuesday. WalMart canceled their order-picking so I'll have to walk inside for prescriptions.

I can't believe y'all are having to deal with snow on top of everything else.

I placed a delivery order with my local grocery chain and the first available delivery date was next Friday, a week from today! Fortunately, I think I have enough stuff to last. Time to dig down and answer the musical question: "What ARE those packages in the bottom of the freezer??"

The important thing is I'm getting three cases of cat food from amazon on Tuesday. Whew! Not a moment too soon. I mean, the cats like me okay... but priorities...
Old 03-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Our state Real Estate Board (or whatever it is called) has just released a new form to add to our list of state-approved forms for agents. It says a buyer & seller agree to cooperate -- with each other and the law -- if the sale is complicated by such emergencies as we have now.

I haven't read the form yet, but I imagine it will be a part of every transaction from now on.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The important thing is I'm getting three cases of cat food from amazon on Tuesday. Whew! Not a moment too soon. I mean, the cats like me okay... but priorities...
Both of my pet food suppliers - Darwin's and Chewey - have sent emails assuring me that deliveries will remain on schedule. Cool. It's good to know that when my wife, daughter, and I are scrounging in the backs of our cupboards, the cats will still be eating like kings.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:56 PM

I'm not personally affected personally, but some good friends are: New York State won't allow funerals or services. Even the family can't attend. They will proceed with burials and cremations, but any services will have to be done at a later date.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

The latest inconvenience for me was that my orthodontist appointment, which was originally scheduled for 17 February 2020, was changed to 18 March 2020. Ah, that was an experience.

The clinic permitted only one patient at a time to enter the clinic. I arrived about 15 minutes before my appointment. The clinic staff, all of whom were dressed in basically HAZMAT suits, were finishing up the disinfection regime, as they are required to disinfect the clinic between patients. When they finished that, I was permitted inside.

Once inside, first step was to have my temperature checked. Luckily, it was below the mandatory "cart off to quarantine" cut off. I was then required to complete a form stating my name, address, cities/regions/countries visited in the last two weeks, and my current temperature. I was also required to wash my hands with gel sanitizer. Finally, I had to put on surgical shoe covers, a surgical gown, protective goggles, and surgical head cover (looks like a shower cap but made of paper).

I was then escorted to the treatment room, where the doctor checked the progress of my teeth's movement. Turns out I had a little bit of calculus on one tooth, so she had to remove that. She is not permitted to use some of the usual tools during this crisis, one of which was the ultra-sound scaler. So, the doctor removed the calculus old school way with one of those metal picks.

As I left the treatment room, the staff began disinfecting that room.

When I paid, I had to use WeChat instead of a bank card as the staff at the front desk are not permitted now to touch those. I then had to put the "patient HAZMAT" gear I was wearing into the medical waste disposal bin. And then I was released from the clinic.

When I left the building, I looked back through the glass door and saw the staff disinfecting the waiting room and front desk.

My next appointment is in two months. I'm hoping (but not optimistic) that this situation will have improved by then.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:21 PM

I went on my usual Target run to buy some essential supplies. I was able to get most of what I needed, but I had to make some substitutions from my usual brands:
*Dish soap: The store brands and other cheaper brands were completely gone. They did have some giant 75 oz bottles of Dawn and the environmentally friendly Seventh Generation brand. I went with a giant bottle of Dawn.
*Canned tomatoes: The store brand and mainstream name brand ones were completely gone. They did have a few cans of the expensive organic tomatoes, so I got two of those.
*Kidney beans: Kidney beans were completely gone, as were black beans. If I was really desperate for canned beans they did have plenty of pinto beans. But I didn't need them that badly, so I left them for someone who needed them more than me.
*Salsa: (Are people panic buying salsa?) Mild and medium varieties of the store brand were gone, but they did have hot. I usually get medium, but since I had a coupon for their brand in the Target app I went with hot this time. This may not have been a panic buy item since they had plenty of Pace and their higher end Simply Balanced brand. Maybe they were just running low.
Ground beef: Completely gone. They had the Beyond Meat ground "beef" though, so I took the opportunity to give that a try. If I really had to have real beef they did have lots of Filet Mignon. I actually had that on my list since my birthday is next week, but I was planning on getting it from a local butcher.
*Soda: Another odd one. Are caffeine addicts panic buying soda out of fear that they won't get their fix (there seemed to be plenty of coffee in stock, though)? There was lots of 7-Up and Orange Crush and the like, but no Pepsi and only orange vanilla flavor Coke and a few cases of Dr. Pepper Cherry.
*Tissues: They had a few of the pocket sized packets, but the bigger boxes were all gone. Since I was running low at home grabbed a few of those.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03-20-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
My hair! I'm normally a haircut every 3 weeks kinda guy and I'm now deeply into week 4 and bordering on shaggy
The Navy has authorised sailors to exceed grooming regs -- beards must be shaved, and sideburns and moustaches must remain regulation, but hair on top of the head can be let grow.

Affecting me personally? The public libraries are all closed, and my cardiac rehab sessions have been put on hold for two week (though I expect this will be extended). Was going to use the exercise machines at the senior centre whilst waiting for cardiac rehab to start up again, but that's been closed, too.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Both of my pet food suppliers - Darwin's and Chewey - have sent emails assuring me that deliveries will remain on schedule. Cool. It's good to know that when my wife, daughter, and I are scrounging in the backs of our cupboards, the cats will still be eating like kings.
Kroger was out of my cats' favorite dry food Monday (they won't eat wet food). I had most of a bag at home and bought another brand to supplement that. But they will only eat it as a last resort before starving. Being a good slave, I ordered 4 bags and a container of treats from Amazon (that many so I could get free shipping. ). It should be here in 7 or 8 days so they won't have to suffer long.

As for me, I just ate the last salad I guess I will have for a while. Which sucks because I always have a big salad for dinner. I've got other food, of course, but I'm going to miss that.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:45 PM

Testing denief

My wife was diagnosed with ALS three years ago. As she lost the ability to walk, our house was no longer accesable. I took early retirement, we sold the house, bought an RV, and have been on the road for two years. She had applied for SDDI twice and denied both times. Want to apply again but Social Security will not let us apply online and won't say why. We made a trip to NM (our resident state, tho we spend little time there) to see our dentist and pediatrician (we have two boys). Parked in the Coronado RV Park in a state park on Tuesday. State parks were closed the day before but the RV park stayed open. Drove to SS office and it closed that day and would not open for at least ten days. Thought we could visit relatives but that night I had a fever, muscle aches, headache, and dry cough. Called the state corvid-19 hotline. Nurse took my symptoms and promised a call back that never came. Called my doctor and was told I could not be tested unless I had contact with someone who had tested positive. Confirmed that on the NM Dept of Health web site. Spent the next two days mostly resting but had to go shopping for food and medicine. Walmart was surreal, lots of empty shelves and people in line for toilet paper. On day three, my fever abated but my youngest got a fever. Leaving for Nevada tomorrow,. At least gas prices are down, I paid $1.59/gallon this morning.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I just got a text from a woman who "means well" warning me that, from inside information she has, martial law will be going into place tomorrow.

Sigh.
We have one of those where I work too...she was telling anyone who would listen that, according to her friend who works for some level of the state government, that they're organizing the military and everything will be locked down in the next 48 - 72 hours.

I would have thought that my workplace would be deemed "essential," given that we primarily serve power plants, but there's a strong enough chance that the office will be closed next week that my department distributed boxes and allowed us to take our computers and a monitor home. (The idea is that a direct internet connection is better than logging in through a VPN on your personal computer.) Some customer service agents took their computers home as well. It was pointed out that, without our testing and inspection departments, we're going to reach a point where we can't do much work at all. I brought home enough stuff to complete some non-critical reports that will require a lot of research, so that should occupy me for awhile if work is called off Monday.

Given that the next county over has reported a case of community spread, I'm sort of concerned that the state might issue a shelter in place order, so I went ahead and brought my plants home too. They needed a little maintenance anyway.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

My daughter's worksite is laying off all FIFO workers...so unless you live in the nearby town or are happy to live at the mining camp for the next 6 months, you're out of a job....
Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 AM

Lunch today will be the last served in our mess hall. After this we will pick up I presume a bagged meal from the front desk.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:22 AM

So far, I think I've got it better than many. My work was mostly remote before, so everything was already in place to go home office only. We're being encouraged to spend our overtime, unless we're actively working for clients, in the wake of reduced volume in client contracts. I was about to get a raise, but all raises have been postponed by company policy right now.

My wife's employer has slashed her hours, she's now supposed to go to work only one day per week. It's a mixed blessing: on the one hand, I'm grateful she doesn't have to leave the house (there's no real home office infrastructure for her workplace), but of course, this is going to impact us financially, particularly if the situation continues. Right now, she's home sick anyway (garden-variety cold or mild flu). But we should be able to cope, as long as my work doesn't also dry up.

I'm missing out on several events I was looking forward to, although most are officially only 'postponed' so far. We had tickets for three readings in the context of a local literature festival; Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds have announced to postpone their tour a couple of days ago. While that's sad, it's of course entirely necessary, and there's a good chance these events will take place at a later date.

We've got an annual family gathering for Easter; that's off the table now, too. Likewise, my wife and I were planning to spend our fifth wedding anniversary in May revisiting the location of our ceremony, staying at the same hotel---we haven't canceled yet, but expect to. We've also got tickets to Rock am Ring, a large music festival in Germany. It takes place from June 5th to 7th; so far, word is that it won't be cancelled.

But it's the little things that make this seem so surreal. Like, in the morning, I was wondering whether I should have a cappuccino---but decided against it, because we're low on milk, and the shop didn't have any last time I went, and I want to keep my grocery trips at a necessary minimum. First world problem, of course, but it's just not something I ever envisaged myself having to consider.

No general curfew in Germany yet, although some states---Bavaria and the Saarland---have already announced them. My hometown has banned all gatherings larger than two people. Frankly, I expect curfews within the week.

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 03-21-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Welp, because my symptoms are persistent enough and overlapping enough of COVID-19 disease, I am officially staying home from work next week (am off this week already by coincidence). I was glad my boss did not put up a fight about it ("I don't want you here either until you get better."). Unfortunately, unless I can produce a positive COVID test, I will have to burn my personal time to stay home. Just got off the phone with the clinic, and their message was, "We don't have anymore tests, and it is that way across the state. You don't meet the criteria to get tested. We're only testing the more serious cases." If I could get tested and it came up negative, I could just go back to work. Instead I am stuck in the middle.

In the big scheme of things, people are getting hit a lot harder than having to burn their vacation time. I guess I should be grateful- hopefully when I return I will be immune (?) and can take advantage of what will probably be unlimited overtime opportunities at a time when stocks have crashed. BuuuUUuuut... the whole world is freaking out about this virus. I have had symptoms since Sat, and the answer is NO, no test for you? Just doesn't seem right.
I feel you!

My 'IDK throat' from last week has gradually metamorphosed into a persistent dry cough that gets just that little bit worse each day, and two people from the Uni have officially confirmed Covid, but I don't count as a close contact so I can't get tested. I don't really care so much for me - I can just act like I believe I have it - but it burns me to see people on Facebook blithely reassuring each other that the newest travel bans are going to fix everything because 'it's all people bringing it in on planes' and all the social distancing stuff is unnecessary

Sunny I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she's not in a risky category
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishoch View Post
My wife was diagnosed with ALS three years ago. As she lost the ability to walk, our house was no longer accesable. I took early retirement, we sold the house, bought an RV, and have been on the road for two years. She had applied for SDDI twice and denied both times. Want to apply again but Social Security will not let us apply online and won't say why. We made a trip to NM (our resident state, tho we spend little time there) to see our dentist and pediatrician (we have two boys). Parked in the Coronado RV Park in a state park on Tuesday. State parks were closed the day before but the RV park stayed open. Drove to SS office and it closed that day and would not open for at least ten days. Thought we could visit relatives but that night I had a fever, muscle aches, headache, and dry cough. Called the state corvid-19 hotline. Nurse took my symptoms and promised a call back that never came. Called my doctor and was told I could not be tested unless I had contact with someone who had tested positive. Confirmed that on the NM Dept of Health web site. Spent the next two days mostly resting but had to go shopping for food and medicine. Walmart was surreal, lots of empty shelves and people in line for toilet paper. On day three, my fever abated but my youngest got a fever. Leaving for Nevada tomorrow,. At least gas prices are down, I paid $1.59/gallon this morning.

I am so sorry y'all are going through this. It's encouraging that your fever eased up. Check in again, please.

Someone else mentioned that you can't get tested unless you've had contact with someone who has tested positive. In the first place, how can you possibly know if a random stranger has COVID and/or has tested positive? Not to mention, if you can't get tested and you are positive (without knowing it), how can you let anyone else that you've come in contact with know so THEY can get tested? This is obviously being run by Major Major from Catch-22. I know, I know... don't try to make sense of it. Just shut up and wash your hands.

Okay, my plan: when you test positive, you get a t-shirt that says (on the back AND the front), "I tested positive for COVID-19!" Then others can take a selfie standing right next to them and present it when they go to get tested. Ta-DAH!

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-21-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

All petty stuff but the list keeps growing.
  • The museum I volunteer at - closed
  • Arizona Game Con whis weekend where I was going to be part of a crew hosting our favorite game - cancelled
  • The work party today where my camp at Burning Man cleans, repairs, and replaces the gear we use - delayed until May
  • Saguaro Man, the regional burn here in Arizona is postponed to a date TBD; being high risk, I was skipping it anyway
  • The meet-up in April for my online game in San Diego - cancelled
  • The Kentucky Derby I was going to call reservations for next week - delayed until September
  • My birthday today - no fancy dinner for me
First world problems.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:14 AM

For the first time in my adult life, I am out of work. The combination of the low oil prices and COVID-19 shut down most of the clients we had, and as a result, my employer decided to essentially lay us off until at least mid-april, dependent on the industry picking back up again.

My wife left me and the kids about six months ago, leaving me to adapt to being a single dad, with all the same bills but only one income... so I am one of the umpteen millions who have no savings for things like this. The kids are high schoolers, so school being out wasn't a big deal for me, and especially isn't now that I have no work.

Groceries are scarce, but I can usually pick up a few essentials each day. Worried about mortgage payment, but I'm hopeful that I can figure it out.

This pretty much sucks.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I can't believe y'all are having to deal with snow on top of everything else.
It's a weird feeling. We're stuck in our deer-infested mountain home while the world collapses around us. MrsRico watches TV news and we both gorge on online material but it's all abstract, external, not really touching us while a deep snowpack remains. I'll try to move the AWD car today, hit some stores downhill, see what's open, maybe patronize Mr Beefy, bring home a gourmet bison burger with sweet-potato fries to share. I doubt the taco wagons will be out. The www.nextdoor.com posts are all about power outages and bears, not food shortages or shopping horrors, so I'm not too worried.

Tip O'Neill said, "All politics are local." Substitute "bothers" for this situation. Weather trumps even pandemics. Should I dread upcoming springtime when the world flows in?
Old 03-21-2020, 01:41 PM

I teach high school. Due to school closures tacked on to the end of our spring break, we have been off for two weeks and we will have at least another two weeks off ahead of us. And right now I am expecting it to last longer than that. We are starting online instruction on Monday.

I feel fortunate to have job security for now. I don't have to worry about not getting a paycheck for at least the next few months. If schools are still closed when the next school year begins in August/September... then I worry that many school districts will cut back on teaching positions and manage online learning with a streamlined staff. But I have a hard time imagining schools won't reopen by that point. If these social distancing guidelines haven't relaxed well before then, our society and economy is well and truly fucked.

In the short term, I worry about family and friends that don't have job security. My nephew was laid off from his job at a restaurant because of the slowdown in business, and a different job he had been applying to is not an option now since they froze all hiring for now.

My parents are in their late 70s and Dad has a compromised immune system. They live a few hours away in a small country town. Which is good, since it is a bit isolated, but there are a lot of older folks in their community and if the virus were to sweep through there it's likely their health service providers would be overwhelmed. So I am thankful for the actions we are all taking to help keep people like my parents safe, but I am also worried about the economic stress and harm it may be causing to a lot of people.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:25 PM

Work is still ongoing. We are considered essential, so I expect it will continue, but at least we aren't the public facing side of the supply chain. Employees who are concerned about CoViD-19 have been told that we can take leave and collect unemployment benefits under the state's emergency measures. I'm still mulling that option over, and may take it if the virus shows up in my county. So far, we have no confirmed or presumptive cases, so that's a big plus.

I've stopped dining out and started doing more cooking at home. I never was much of a cook, so that has been a learning experience. This week, I made a haddock chowder that came out about as good as anything I've ever gotten from a restaurant, if I do say so myself, so I was pretty pleased with that. When I need groceries, I'm opting for the smaller, local grocery store so as to avoid the crowds at the big box stores. It costs a little bit more, but that is more than offset by not eating out.

I've been bleaching everything to death when cleaning, but I'd have been doing that anyway this time of year due to the seasonal flu, so that hasn't really changed much.

Instead of going out for entertainment, there's the Internet and video games. I'm currently playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and I seem to time travel five or six hours into the future every time I turn that game on. It's doing a good job of keeping me from wanting to go out.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Well, I think I'm about to get a huge windfall. I received this email today:

Quote:
Hello.

I am Christine Lagarde (Director) IMF, I have very important information for you and it requires very urgent attention. I don’t want to badge into you which is why I fell like introducing myself first. When I hear from you I would give you the full detail of the proposition.

Warm regards

Christine Lagarde
That she is no longer the managing director of the IMF and seems to be now living in Hungary (her email address is christlagrd0255@vipmail.hu) is not at all concerning. I'm confused why such an important woman would contact me personally, but it seems she might want to give me some money, probably to relieve any financial distress I might be experiencing in these tough times. I inquired about her proposition and hopefully she will get back to me soon. I have the anticipation of a child wondering how much money she wants to give me.

Until I receive this windfall, I live in central Illinois as a pharmacy technician in grocery store, so I am considered essential, will not get laid off, and will be on the front lines. As an aside, working in a grocery stores has the benefit of not having to go somewhere else to get food. I'm a single hermit anyway, so staying at home except for work does not affect me. I am a little worried about contracting the virus.

Last edited by Harrington; 03-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Well, I think I'm about to get a huge windfall. I received this email today:

That she is no longer the managing director of the IMF and seems to be now living in Hungary (her email address is christlagrd0255@vipmail.hu) is not at all concerning. I'm confused why such an important woman would contact me personally, but it seems she might want to give me some money, probably to relieve any financial distress I might be experiencing in these tough times. I inquired about her proposition and hopefully she will get back to me soon. I have the anticipation of a child wondering how much money she wants to give me.

Until I receive this windfall, I live in central Illinois as a pharmacy technician in grocery store, so I am considered essential, will not get laid off, and will be on the front lines. As an aside, working in a grocery stores has the benefit of not having to go somewhere else to get food. I'm a single hermit anyway, so staying at home except for work does not affect me. I am a little worried about contracting the virus.
You should start buying iTunes gift cards now, to pay the minor fees of course, before they stop selling them!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:28 PM

I went to the mess hall for breakfast. They had moved the coffee machine to the lobby. I filled my cup and filled out a little form with my order. I then went outside to a picnic table and enjoyed the gray, cloudy morning. After a few minuted the mess boy brought me my food on a disposable foam clamshell thing.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Have you ever tried eating cat food? It can't be poisonous and spices might go a long way.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

My mom's been asked to self-quarantine since she learned that she's been around someone who tested positive. At this point honestly we probably all have, so that's what we all should be doing by default, but at least she's less likely to get it if she hasn't already by sheltering in place, and she shouldn't be working anyway because not only is she over 65, her clients are even older (as a part-time job, she is a once-a-week home visitor for several clients.) Thankfully, her company is still paying her and has offered to help with home delivery.