Old 03-13-2020, 11:58 AM

The Masters is postponed. Not even go to try it without a crowd.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
The Australian F1 Grand Prix is off
And Bahrain and Vietnam too. Shame for Vietnam as it would have been the inaugural event. They are saying that they will try and run the races later in the year, but I don't see that happening. The logistics of the whole F1 season are complicated enough already without trying to shoehorn extra races in.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:21 PM

Nascar has postponed the races for the next two weekend
Old 03-13-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
And Bahrain and Vietnam too. Shame for Vietnam as it would have been the inaugural event. They are saying that they will try and run the races later in the year, but I don't see that happening. The logistics of the whole F1 season are complicated enough already without trying to shoehorn extra races in.
Yeah, just my luck. I got interested in F1 after stumbling across the series on Netflix. I was looking forward to keeping up with a real season.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:42 PM

Louisiana postpones primary election.

Not holding my breath, but hoping this could lead to nation-wide mail-in voting.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Many places are postponing jury trials.

Also, Denver Public Schools is shutting down. So, too, with the LA County school district.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Kansas City area schools closed, St Patrick's Day Parade cancelled, Snake Saturday Parade cancelled.

Went to Captain D's for lunch, and I was the only person in line. Normally a 5-20 minute wait for food - they handed it to me as I was sitting down in the waiting area.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:02 PM

Pretty much all of Denmark.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Pentagon, White House, and Congress are all closed to the public.

Canadian Parliament has suspended operations.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:24 PM

The Japanese Street Festival that coincides with the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC has been postponed. This was their 60th year so they say they are still planning to hold it at some time in the future. Given that it is difficult to time it to coincide with when the Cherry trees bloom and at times no flowering trees are visible during the festival, I think a postponement will not be a terrible thing, but it does lose its luster by not being in the spring.

//i\\
Old 03-13-2020, 02:04 PM

...and now the gym on the 5th floor of my office building.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Kansas City area schools closed, St Patrick's Day Parade cancelled, Snake Saturday Parade cancelled.

Went to Captain D's for lunch, and I was the only person in line. Normally a 5-20 minute wait for food - they handed it to me as I was sitting down in the waiting area.
My kids' schools are on spring break. They haven't said they'll be closed after that, but I don't expect that they'll be going back for a while.

Jimmy John's was dead in the store, but the delivery drivers were hopping.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Many places are postponing jury trials.

Also, Denver Public Schools is shutting down. So, too, with the LA County school district.
Districts in the Denver Metro area are all closing for 2-3 weeks as well.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:32 PM

All Louisiana schools are closed until April 13. Universities have gone to all online courses for the resit of this semester.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:02 PM

& it what appears to be a first, one neighboring county has closed all parks & trails. That literally was the only thing you could do, walk around outside. It's not like one is in close contact with others there.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:03 PM

New York State just canceled jury duty and trials (for now). They still need to figure out the logistics of giving folks a speedy trial. But for now--no juries or grand juries.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:14 PM

My little rural county has banned gatherings of 250+. That should empty the WalMart. But I don't know what's happening at the state prison holding a large chunk of the county's population - just the usual biohazard and corrupt staff news, nothing about quarantine.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting to be held without shareholders

College World Series canceled
Old 03-13-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I found out that my Amtrak train was probably cancelled.

But that's OK because the meeting I was going to go to on it got cancelled, too.

In Boston, the Sheraton Long Wharf hotel where they hosted the BioGen meeting responsible for most of the Massachusetts cases (thus far) got shut down. They don't know for how long.

Oddly enough, one of my groups meeting this Monday did NOT close down. Despite Coronavirus.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:31 PM

Drive-By Truckers cancelled shows promoting their new album titled, The Unravelling. How prescient.

Had tickets to two shows.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:35 PM

All NCAA championships in all sports are cancelled. ACC went further and cancelled all sports for the spring .
Old 03-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

April Fool's Day has been cancelled.

Cause really, who is gonna be able to come up with a prank to top reality this year???
Old 03-13-2020, 03:46 PM

Maryland K-12 schools shut down for at least 2 weeks starting 3/16
Old 03-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Washington state has extended the school shutdown statewide until April 27th.

My office is suspending home care worker training, testing, etc. Part of my job is sending out notifications and stuff related to that, so one less hat to wear for a while.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
& it what appears to be a first, one neighboring county has closed all parks & trails. That literally was the only thing you could do, walk around outside. It's not like one is in close contact with others there.
Yeah, I'm hoping that my vacation out west later this spring isn't going to be cancelled due to hotels and/or parks closing (there's also National Forest and other public lands but they're less likely to close). The hotels are probably slightly more dangerous than my everyday life, as I will still be interacting with fewer people but in new areas, but when I'm out of doors I'm going to be away from people rather than with them.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:57 PM

The SCA has been cancelling events, etc. left and right:

Gulf Wars - cancelled

All events, meetings, practices, etc. until the end of March are cancelled in:
Middle Kingdom
An Tir
Northshield
West Kingdom

Some kingdoms are postponing certain events, but not outright cancelling.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Most if not all schools in Houston have suspended classes. LOL. Just call it a year, already.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cancelled the rest of its events about a week and a half early. A really big deal, considering the money at stake. NCAA South Regional games were canceled along with the Men's Tournament.

OTOH, Houston museums are still open---We enjoyed the Menil Collection today---and stores haven't closed. Albeit, there was a line to get into Costco. Like it was a nightclub. Madness.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:09 PM

We just had a neighboring county cancel schools until the middle of April, even though they have no reported cases of anyone in the county being infected.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:19 PM

All schools in Illinois were just ordered to close by the Governor.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Before an infection is confirmed is the very best time to close the schools. And I'm happy to say the schools in Shelby County (TN) and now today my district (Bartlett) have closed until the 30th at least. They say this will give them time to work on a contingency plan if they need more time, to deep clean the schools, and just give two more weeks of low contact. A lot of parents are upset because they're losing out on free daycare, sadly, but some churches and the YMCA are offering assistance. These were unused snow days so it won't have to be made up and I don't get it, if we'd had snow cancellations what would those parents have done? Where would their children go then? It's always good to have an emergency back-up for your child's care.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:11 PM

My Louisiana relatives tell me their governor closed schools until mid-April BUT in their district, teachers still have to go to work in the schools. How crazy is that? They've been told to teach online, but the district doesn't have online class capability, and many of their poorer students don't have internet. I approve of them getting ahead of this by closing schools, but the rest is nuts.

Last edited by nelliebly; 03-13-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Just got word the superintendent in that district relented and now only 12-month employees (secretaries, custodians) have to report for work.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

In Massachusetts:
State of Emergency
Most public schools are closed or closing - Boston just called it for their 53,000 students.
Most colleges have closed either for a three week period (Spring Break plus two weeks, with the caveat that it may be longer so all are prepared for extended online learning) or closed/online through the end of the semester
No large group gatherings and many, many events cancelling or postponing regardless.
There is no toilet paper to be had!! Or disinfectant wipes, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc. And now, with more schools closing and the national emergency called, the canned goods are flying off the shelves as well.

There was a conference in Boston from which many cases emerged - they JUST closed the hotel down where it was held several WEEKS AGO. Hmmmm, barn door/horse situation much?
So, there's plenty of potential cases, but very little testing so who knows what the numbers really are.

University of Connecticut - two weeks (at least) of online classes after Spring Break. They are not actually shutting down at this point. If kids have nowhere to go, there will be facilities and a dining hall available for them. They are also keeping a lot of their clinical students and research facilities open. There have been no cases at the school and it's fairly well insulated - the entire town is the university and not in a heavily populated or active area.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 PM

In my neck of the woods there was supposed to be an Adam Sandler thing (concert? stand-up act?) next week that has been postponed indefinitely.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
State of Indiana has banned gatherings of more then 250 people.

IU, Purdue and notre dame moving to online classes for a few weeks.

Indianapolis public schools moving to online classes.
It's pretty significant that Indiana University (my alma mater) is closed-- or moving online, whatever. The last time it closed, or made any concessions to outside influences regarding its schedule was when it closed for a week during the 1978 blizzard, and if there had not been a moratorium on driving, that probably would not have happened.

For people not old enough to remember, two feet of snow fell on Illinois, Michigan, Indiana & Ohio in one night, with drifts up to 4 feet, and more snow would come. Kids missed about 2 & 1/2 weeks of school. I was visiting my cousins there during winter break, and got stuck. My mother actually had the nerve to mail me my schoolwork! and my aunt made me do it.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know of a college or university here (IN) that isn't switching to online classes. The University of Indianapolis, where I am taking a class in TESL is extending spring break by one week, while professors figure out how to go totally online with their classes. Whether they will go with webinars, or just online lessons, or whatever, is probably going to be between each professor and dept. head, except for the few classes that are standards, like the freshman comp classes.

The admin is facing the decision of whether to go ahead with graduation ceremonies.

People were buying out all the grocery stores. There was not a box of mac & cheese, bottle of water, or container of hand sanitizer to be found. Thermometers are gone too, and TP was fast disappearing. Lines were long, and carts were laden. Customer service had a sign up that they were closed due to lack of staff.

Amazon's grocery delivery service has a 2-day wait.

Fortunately, we're always well-stocked, because we buy in bulk. I am expecting grocery stores to be posting "Limited stock" signs in windows pretty soon.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:24 AM

Oh, and my synagogue has cancelled everything except services, private tutoring sessions, and the weekday Hebrew classes that have 6 students or fewer per class.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:27 AM

My kids attend Indian cultural and Hindu religious classes on Sundays. Or, well, they did. Not anymore.

The wonderful St. Louis Science Center is closed through March 31. The Zoo is still open, which surprises me. Everyone is spread out when viewing the outdoor exhibits, but there are a lot of indoor things where people pack together like sardines around the animals.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

If you were planning to come to North Carolina, don't. We're closed!

Schools and universities are transitioning to online classes. Starting next week, I am to come to campus only one day a week until further notice (I am staff). The libraries are closed, along with a lot of other public buildings/spaces. Every event/conference/gathering that I am aware of or was planning to go to in the next couple of months has been cancelled or postponed.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Apple is closing all of its retail stores outside of China for the next two weeks.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:45 PM

Lafayette College told its students not to come back after spring break.
So did Columbia College, Chicago.
U. Ill. cancelled Illini Day and told my grandson not to come for associated campus tour.
Redmond closed its schools.
(All four affected my grandchildren.)
World Women's Curling championship to have started today, cancelled.
McGill will likely close (final decision Monday).
Old 03-14-2020, 04:04 PM

North Carolina public schools closed for two weeks (I think that's going to be an "at least" situation). A teacher in the Wake County Public Schools has tested positive.

The North Carolina Football Club Youth (which is the largest youth to professional club in the U.S.) stopped all activities last week until at least 4/13.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Saskatchewan Chief Public Health Officer has issued an order prohibiting all gatherings of more than 250. Only exceptions are retail stores (so you can queue for toilet paper and places of worship.

Gov't of Sask, as employer, is restricting out of Province travel for all public servants, and requiring all public servants who have been out of the country to self-isolate for 14 days upon return (regardless whether away for gov't work or personal travel).

Junior Hockey League (umbrella for the 10 junior leagues across Canada) has cancelled the season.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 03-14-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:27 PM

I received a nice email today from the CEO of Taco Bell informing me they will be closing their dining rooms and moving to a "drive-thru and delivery only" service. Their employees will receive sick leave and they will still get paid if their store has to be temporarily closed (for lack of a drive-thru?).
Old 03-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

The Universities of Saskatchewan and Regina have both shut down for a week. Will resume next week with all classes on-line for the rest of the semester.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 PM

California junior colleges are shutting down in a disorganized way, every school different apparently, classes online -- in my son's case, after a week shutdown probably so the teachers can get organized for online.

All public schools in Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties are shut down for about the next 4 weeks.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-14-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:50 PM

The Commonwealth of Virginia has also closed its schools, K-12, for at least two weeks.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Poland has closed its borders and shut down air travel. Jets from Britain and Spain have been turning back in mid-flight
Old 03-15-2020, 12:33 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Here's a list of all the sci-fi/fantasy conventions cancelled or postponed so far. I expect it will grow soon.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Elephant Whisperer

In Hawaii, this year's Merrie Monarch Festival on the Big Island and the Waikiki Spam Jam have been canceled.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 03-15-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:17 AM

Admitting to not reading thru the whole thread - Luke Days. The weekend at Luke AFB in Phoenix with static displays, and an air show. A free event, hugely attended, only every 2 years. We bought VIP tickets for a private area with food and chairs and a shuttle from the parking lot (otherwise you'll have to schlep your own folding chair to fight for a spot near the flight line and park miles away) and now I expect to have an issue getting our refund since I had a mail from the servicing company asking us to patiently wait for time to allow them to give us "refund options"