Old 03-20-2020, 01:43 PM

When I eat pot pies (or anything with cooked carrots in it), I eat all the carrot pieces first. I usually spread the food out and spear them on a fork so I can get them down in one or two bites. My mother would make us eat everything on the plate and I do not particularly like cooked carrots. I want to get them out of the way so I can get on with eating the good parts.

I also have to admit that I get very nervous and apprehensive when people at the table eat European (or Continental) style. This was a huge no-no at my family's table and I'm almost Pavlovian in my response. I fully expect to hear my (deceased) mother severely reprimanding that person. (Please, no comments or remarks about why she would do this. She just DID and I grew up in that atmosphere. After more than 50 years, I'm still slightly neurotic about it.)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
I also have to admit that I get very nervous and apprehensive when people at the table eat European (or Continental) style. This was a huge no-no at my family's table and I'm almost Pavlovian in my response. I fully expect to hear my (deceased) mother severely reprimanding that person. (Please, no comments or remarks about why she would do this. She just DID and I grew up in that atmosphere. After more than 50 years, I'm still slightly neurotic about it.)
By European style you mean using the fork in your left hand to convey food to your mouth instead of the American custom of switching the fork to your right hand?

Possibly interesting side note on this: Years ago I dated a delightful old guy who had been a WWII fighter pilot. He said that during their training they were taught that if their plane went down in Europe and they had to blend in with the local population, to make sure they did NOT switch the fork from left to right hand after cutting/slicing or they would instantly be outed as Americans. (Hey, I didn't promise it would be interesting.)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 AM

If I'm putting a piece of pizza in a sandwich bag for lunch, I always bite off the tip to make it fit in the bag better.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:56 AM

For being a picky eater, I'm surprised I don't have a lot more weirdo must-dos with my food.

Sandwiches taste better when cut in a triangle, but toast is cut in rectangles. PB&J sandwiches are eaten uncut, open-faced.

I too don't like stuff hanging over the edge of my bread except for lettuce.

I hate plastic cups - I only drink out of a glass when I'm at home.

When I eat a meal, I eat things evenly. I do it without even thinking. I never end up with a bunch of potatoes left after I've eaten the meat or vice versa. I take my last bite of hamburger and then eat my last french fry.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
I also have to admit that I get very nervous and apprehensive when people at the table eat European (or Continental) style. This was a huge no-no at my family's table and I'm almost Pavlovian in my response.
How very unusual! I've never encountered the idea of being anti-European-style, only anti-American. If anybody cares, they seem to think Euro is more formal and refined: more likely to be the preferred style of a stickler for fancy manners. I quite like the idea of insisting on a lack of formality though!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
By European style you mean using the fork in your left hand to convey food to your mouth instead of the American custom of switching the fork to your right hand?

Possibly interesting side note on this: Years ago I dated a delightful old guy who had been a WWII fighter pilot. He said that during their training they were taught that if their plane went down in Europe and they had to blend in with the local population, to make sure they did NOT switch the fork from left to right hand after cutting/slicing or they would instantly be outed as Americans. (Hey, I didn't promise it would be interesting.)
My parents taught me that way of eating knife-and-fork food, IIRC. More efficient.

Then, during a holiday meal with extended family, somebody commented that the practice would serve me well, should I ever be sent on a spy mission to Europe (this was when I was seven).
Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
My parents taught me that way of eating knife-and-fork food, IIRC. More efficient.

Then, during a holiday meal with extended family, somebody commented that the practice would serve me well, should I ever be sent on a spy mission to Europe (this was when I was seven).
Old 03-30-2020, 12:21 PM

I like to rub pickle slices on my grilled cheeses. There was a little fast-food chain when I was a kid called, "Winkey's", and, rarely, we'd stop there. We hardly ever ate out, I guess because my father was cheap - one of his less loathsome traits. Anyway, they came with pickles on top of the sandwich. I didn't like that, so I picked them off, but the juice would remain. So now, I've grown to like a bit of the sour brine on my grilled cheeses. My friends looked at me like I was crazy, but there you go.

I don't really have grilled cheeses now, because I have bad issues with gluten and gluten-free bread sucks. If I did though, and one were available, I'd rub a pickle one it even now.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Pizza: Crust first
European vs. American: I do left handed European. I'm right handed
Corn on the cob: Eat it across with even rows. Maybe three or so rows of corn at one time. It always ends up perfectly even.
The order I eat food could almost be a mathematical formula. It's kind of like... Foods are given a score based on how much I like it. The lower scores are eaten more frequently at the beginning. So, maybe three bites of the worst, two bites of second place, then one bite of third place. But, it depends on the ratio of goodness/badness.