View Poll Results: Are you working from home?
Work has not made any special allowances, and I'm going in 30 12.24%
Work has not made any special allowances, but I'm staying home and burning vacation/sick days 0 0%
Working from home is optional, and but I'm going in anyway 13 5.31%
Working from home is optional, and I'm doing so 44 17.96%
Working from home is mandatory 83 33.88%
I work from home anyway 33 13.47%
I don't have a job 20 8.16%
Other 22 8.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2020, 02:19 PM

Last week word came down that it was an option, and that individual managers could decide whether they wanted their staff to work from home. My manager did, so starting today, I'm home until April 15, according to the current plan.

I work in IT for a hospital group. My work can easily be done 100% from home, and my job is pretty much guaranteed throughout this crisis, so for me it's just a bit of an adjustment to the new "work environment"; I'm lucky in that there is no hardship for me.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:31 PM

I selected "mandatory", but that's not quite right. For my job, work from home is strongly encouraged, with the caveat that some people do need to go in some days, and we're coordinating so that we don't end up occupying nearby same space at the same time.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Last week word came down that it was an option, and that individual managers could decide whether they wanted their staff to work from home. My manager did, so starting today, I'm home until April 15, according to the current plan.

I work in IT for a hospital group. My work can easily be done 100% from home, and my job is pretty much guaranteed throughout this crisis, so for me it's just a bit of an adjustment to the new "work environment"; I'm lucky in that there is no hardship for me.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
90% of my work I do from home anyway. I do offsite and on site investigations and audits, but I'm not scheduling any on-site until this is over. I used to try to make it to the office once a week or so, but I'm done with that, too.
And the official word just came down: do not schedule anything on-site.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Everyone who is now working from home.....

Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so? My job cannot be done from home, so I really don't get it. Will a percentage of Americans never return to work and continue working from home after this crisis?
Because OH MY GOD NO! NOOOOOOOOOO!

*runs screaming down the hallway*

Seriously, I loathe it. It's like being in prison. I'm only doing it because it seems like the responsible thing to do for the community. If it was just a case of protecting myself from catching the thing, I'd just be out there and damn well catch it, nasty though it be.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:37 PM

I spent most of last week at home for an unrelated illness (sore throat/runny nose), and have come back to work as normal; we've been informed that we'll be sent home if the state issues a mandate on the subject and not earlier. Hopefully it won't happen too soon, since things aren't set up for us to telecommute just yet.

No matter how it plays out, I'll be working from home as little as possible. My home is awash with distractions and my work would undoubtedly suffer.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:52 PM

I have to adjust my answer. The corporate edict that came out today is everyone who has the ability MUST work from home starting tomorrow. So I guess I will be.

I am one of the few in my department that has a desktop computer rather than a laptop, so as of now I don't "have the ability", but I assume it won't take long to upgrade the software and I can drag the desktop home.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 03-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:16 PM

I am more productive in the office too but I have been told to work from home for at least the next 2-3 weeks. I suspect that this will last much longer than that.
I think the lack of a 45 min commute each way may make up for the lower productivity though.
i work int the basement where I have a large desk but I also have my nice personal computer so I turn the personal computer off from 8:30 - 5:00 each day. ( I usually end up working past 5 with stuff anyway)
I also have a TV but I hardly turn it on anyway. the only thing I lack is I cannot print out yet. I have to get some sort of arrangement to be able to secure print at home.
Either that or I will have to go in late at night and print out stuff that I need.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:48 PM

I checked "other" because we are on WFH until further notice, but I went in twice last week because I felt I should. Mostly all I did was check to be sure all of my precious boxes of files were OK and futz around a little. I'll probably go in tomorrow or Wednesday for no other reason than because I feel I should. There are only 3 people who work in my warehouse and I told the other 2 to not come back until I called them, so chances of catching anything are very low.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Word came out at 4:30 today, work from home until further notice. So I packed up the computer and other bits, and headed home. Now we can only hope that the warehouse staff stays safe and healthy. They obviously can't work from home, and if we can't receive or ship, the company is going to have to shut the doors until this blows over.

On another note: the cat is ecstatic about me being home.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Several counties in the CA Bay Area just announced a general order for non-critical employees to stay home. There are a lot more people on the "mandatory" list now...
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Had an all-hands meeting this afternoon to go over the plan. We're divided into "M-W-F" and "Tu-Th" teams to come in those days and telework the others. I got Tu-Th, so I'm pretty happy with that. I don't mind going in to the office, in fact I kind of like it, but the commute is horrible so anything that keeps me off the road is a huge favor to my mental well-being.

There's not really that much reason for me to actually be in the office normally, but my department head just doesn't care for telework and has resisted before, but this plan was handed down from on high.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM

I voted "mandatory" though the reality is that if we can wfh we are very strongly encouraged. My company has a large manufacturing facility and a significant office facility as well. We also have a number of facilities world-wide. If we work in the building there are rules intended to keep personnel density low and distances sufficient for health and safety (these directives apply globally).

I'm very pleased with my job and company and they're certainly doing what they can.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I am a manufacturing and test engineer in a factory. Very little of my job can be done from home. Our product is being used to contain the spread of the virus. Staff who are not involved in production are advised to stay home.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 PM

I work for a university, in as much as the three institutes "belong" to the university. We're about 40 miles away from the main campus, broken into several centers with different focuses on disabilities, and have no 18-22 year-old students in our charge- well, my center, anyway - we do MH/IDD training for adults who have at minimum a masters already. a different center on works with young adults who are interning in middle/high schools.

As of yet staff, on campus and off, are not yet being forced to work from home, though the kids are not allowed back on campus after spring break and will be taught online through at least the first week of April. There have been a lot of e-mails about how to get work from home officially approved on a case by case basis.

Today was the last day anyone from my center worked in the office and as of tomorrow we'll all be working from home. So it's "optional" but not really because our director of operations really wants us home: he filled out and filed all the required paperwork for us over the weekend before we even knew about it.

Given I edit video, I'm the only person who needs to use a desktop instead of a laptop, so I spent an hour this afternoon breaking down my station and packing it up. And I'll begin the workday by setting it all up in my kitchen. Not having a home office means I hate to work from home, so it's going to be a really long three weeks/three months/eternity until the pandemic is over...
Old 03-16-2020, 08:43 PM

The plan is for us to start working from home two days a week, unless somebody pulls the ripcord and we all just stay home. I'm in a USPS data center, so the state lockdown stuff doesn't necessarily apply to us. That whole "rain nor sleet nor gloom of night" thing. We didn't have the opportunity to work from home before because we're contractors, with no remote access allowed ever since that thing they call The Breach.

Last week, they told us we'd all be getting laptops this week so we could VPN in and work from home. When my week started on Saturday, I found out that instead they had fast-tracked us all to get remote access from our home computers and everybody with a laptop should bring one in and get it set up. I don't have a laptop, so I had to drive back and forth a few times... they can't fix anything with the Entrust token remotely, and they can only fix the remote connection when I'm at my computer... I would love to work from home. Hell, if I could have worked from home, I'd have stayed in Berkeley and kept seeing my girlfriend rather than moving to Minnesota. Which, ironically, they're on shelter-in-place in the Bay Area right now.

Last edited by Ethilrist; 03-16-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: I like string
Old 03-17-2020, 03:22 PM

I work for a very large government contractor. Current corporate guidance is that teleworking is optional: people have to ask their supervisors, but supervisors are encouraged to approve. Many people on the program I support have opted to telework, but some are still going to the office. I'm one of them.

My job could easily be done remotely (I'm a tech writer/editor and my home office is well equipped), but I only interact with a handful of people in person on a daily basis, I have a short commute, and there's noisy construction happening next to my house. Mostly, though, I'm in no hurry to start being home alone all day every day...once that starts, it will be that way for weeks. I actually prefer having other people around during the day. So, as long as my boss and others are going to the office, I figure I'll go in, too.

I think all of this will be moot by next week, though, as I expect corporate policy to shift to "telework unless you can't."

Quote:
Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so?
I work better with people around. And my company laptop runs better when it's directly connected to the corporate network, vs via VPN. And I'd rather poke my head out of my cubicle to ask someone a question than have to send an email or IM. And I like the physical separation of work vs home. And it's good for my car to be driven regularly. And I have no vending machines at home.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:45 PM

I work from home and the economic fallout from this crisis will probably double my workload in the coming years.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

i said "I work from home anyway" because I do, most of the time. However, my client has gone to "everyone telework if you can" as has my employer, so I'm not even going in the handful of days a month that I did before.

As far as "if you can, why not": some employers (and some clients, for contractors like me) are weird about having you In. Your. Desk. And. Visible. whether it is strictly necessary or not. Heck, my own project has a contractual "x warm bodies on site each month" - which could be either "1 body X days" or "x bodies 1 day apiece". My work requires no face to face with anyone there - but since many of us don't even live in the metro area, I get nominated to contribute to the x count.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 PM
SDSAB

Working from home is optional, but I'm going in anyway.

My court has severely cut back on hearings, so very few members of the public are coming to court. I'm using the partial closure to catch up on civil case files. I can walk from the parking garage directly to my office and see hardly anyone. I think I'm pretty safe, and it's much more convenient to access the court case-management system and files in person than from home.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 PM

My office did a quick study of what it would take to work from home and the corporate office accelerated the internal process. We came to work Monday with the computers ready to go and out the door we went. I thought it would be next week but I had already upgraded my wifi to deal with it.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been a 100% telecommuter for the past 5 years or so, and most of my group also telecommutes somewhere between half and full time.

Betcha never really thought how one of the people who helps make sure your money is doing what you expect it to do is doing it from their home, rather than some big corporate office campus.

My partner is in the “can’t telecommute” category as they’re a hairdresser. Right now, they’re effectively unemployed as they work three days per week at a San Francisco barbershop, and getting a haircut is specifically listed on the “illegal” list.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 PM

No students officially for two weeks. That brings us up to two week ‘till Ramadan. I am betting on no students for a full eight weeks. But we are still coming in to the office. All the paperwork is done. Now boredom sets in.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-18-2020, 12:13 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I work at an advertising agency; I'd been working from home 1-2 days a week for the past five years.

The agency president announced, last Monday (March 9) that we could work from home full-time if it made us more comfortable, and I did stay home all week last week. Then, on Friday (March 13), he announced that the offices would effectively be closed, and WFH was made mandatory, on an indefinite basis.

Technically, it's still possible to go into the office for "critical meetings," whatever those are, but I can't picture a reason for doing so, and one has to get permission from the agency president to do it.

While I've figured out how to be productive at home over the past five years, I do like being able to go into the office, to see colleagues and friends. Plus, frankly, face-to-face meetings are often preferable. Also, my wife is home all the time (she retired from teaching several years ago), and even after five years of me working at home, she can't get it through her head that I'm often on conference calls with clients, and that wandering into the room I'm working in to ask me something (or while talking to the cats) without warning isn't desirable.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I work for a small company and yesterday only six of us showed up. I figure it's more dangerous to go to the drug store.

I could work at home but my wife, daughter (24), daughter's boyfriend (24), and son (21, home on spring break) are all there and I wouldn't get shit done.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

College instructor here. Our spring break has gone from one week to three weeks, and no assignments are to be due before March 30th. This gives us time to prepare for preparing the classes that are not already online. Students will not be back on campus the rest of the semester (including commencement, probably), but faculty has the option to work from our offices or from home. I'm choosing home.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Our school system is closed through April 1st (officially; our principal told us that's not gonna happen). Spring Break, originally scheduled for mid April, is this week. Next week we go remote. Classroom teachers have "office hours" from 8:45 until 12:45 where they interact with students remotely, and work on planning and collaboration the rest of the day. I said that I'll be available to help with research or locating resources all day, and will meet with teaching teams to figure out how I can support them at the end of the week.

Of course no one knows what this is going to end up looking like. I'm trying not to spend too much time thinking about it during "spring break" without much success.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Our school system is closed through April 1st (officially; our principal told us that's not gonna happen). Spring Break, originally scheduled for mid April, is this week. Next week we go remote. Classroom teachers have "office hours" from 8:45 until 12:45 where they interact with students remotely, and work on planning and collaboration the rest of the day. I said that I'll be available to help with research or locating resources all day, and will meet with teaching teams to figure out how I can support them at the end of the week.

Of course no one knows what this is going to end up looking like. I'm trying not to spend too much time thinking about it during "spring break" without much success.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:59 PM

HHS has given the go-ahead, so now psychotherapists can provide telehealth to Medicare and Medicaid patients, hooray! Also, there's a temporary relaxing of HIPAA standards so the patient can choose to Skype or other non-compliant software if they can't figure out or have the bandwidth for a secure option. This will also be good for non-tech-savvy and demented patients who may not be able to learn a new system.

We're figuring out how we can schedule our work at home without stepping on each other's bandwidth given our crummy internet service.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Where I work, there's a new "only half of the employees should come in each day" policy, so I am being told to work from home three days a week.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:59 AM

Other.

No special allowances can be made; I keep things running/ fix what doesn't at a public utility.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

We are "strongly encouraged" to work from home, and I did yesterday (for technical reasons I couldn't until then)
I'm going into the office today to turn on remote access on my work machine (I do a lot of work on VMs, and I could access those)
Will work from home tomorrow, and likely next week

Brian
Old 03-19-2020, 05:37 AM

We're on "work from home unless you need to be in the office". Areas of the office that must be manned are on a red team/blue team approach so that half are out at any given time. My work can mostly be done from home, plus I have a mild medical condition that increases my susceptibility to respiratory ailments, so I'm pretty much self-isolated anyway.

The office VPN is struggling a bit; they're getting people to access email and Skype via their phones instead to reduce the strain.

Tbh I don't mind working from home occasionally but I work with a good team and miss the banter as well as the "informal information flows" that making work easier.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Our office has ceased f2f contact with clients, courts are closed, workers are urged to work from home; however, there are some mandatory in office tasks that require bodies to accomplish, so 4-5 people must be in office daily. We also have a handful of workers that cannot / will not work from home, so they've been in daily. The two head managers are in daily, and two supervisors must be in daily, working out to each supervisor being in office once per week.

OTOH, I have a doctors letter requiring me to work from home through April. So I am.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:35 PM

The tech company I work for in NZ is having everyone who can work from home do so from Mon 23rd. I work on site with a client, they're gearing up to do much the same.

The plan for both is to get those people that can operate remotely to do so and thus reduce density in the buildings for those that need to still come in to work, giving them some protection from social distancing.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:47 PM

I don't have a job. I've been gainfully unemployed for decades now but I finished my last gig just the other day. Since all my future gigs for the year have canceled, I'm now just plain old unemployed.

Which gives me plenty of time to figure out more about Python and programming AIs. [Carl]So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.[/Carl]

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-19-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:11 PM

Yesterday I would have said "optional, but I'm doing it anyway". The company was strongly encouraging people to work from home, but it wasn't officially mandatory and some people still were in the office, mostly because part of their work required them to physically be in the lab and work with the hardware. Today it effectively became mandatory. Not because of any directive from the company, but because Sacramento County issued a "shelter in place" order. Meaning people who are able to work from home are pretty much legally required to do so as I understand it.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 PM

This is going to permenantly rewrite how the American labor force works. A significant portion of Americans who have suddenly discovered they can work from home will never return to the workplace. Employers will discover they dont need to pay for big offices to holds these workers. Peoploe will have a new realization which positions are and are not critical in thier organizations and much will be reorganized permenantly.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 PM

Because I was on vacation overseas (in Canada) last week I was mandated to work from home for 2 weeks. It was nothing but problems. It took 8 hours on the first day for me to be able to log in and 3 hours on the second day. I kept having to drive back to the office to pick up equipment (actually driving back and forth more than if I just stayed in-house). Today was the breaking point today when I found out I needed a cheap piece piece of equipment that work doesn't have and told me I need to buy myself without getting reimbursed. I refused so they finally let me come in-house and work in another empty part of the building. They're in the process of trying to get everyone to work from home.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM

When this all seemed to be getting serious, my boss called me into his office to say that I should do whatever makes me comfortable, and I’d be paid full salary no matter what. I’ve been working at the office every day since then (huge office, only four of us there), because it’s a lot easier to do my job from there, and I love getting out of the house. Just tonight it was announced by our governor that all non-life-sustaining jobs were work-from-home only, so I guess I’ll give that a shot starting tomorrow. Bleh.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

The company I work for makes/sells collaborative and networking hardware/software. We've been mandatory work from home since last Wednesday, at least, with progressive levels of that in the week leading up to it.

So, yeah, business is booming for us. I'm being trained in two other technologies so I can support them because their teams are being overwhelmed. One of the few companies in that enviable position.

Quote:

Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so? My job cannot be done from home, so I really don't get it. Will a percentage of Americans never return to work and continue working from home after this crisis?
Well, while my job can be done from home, and they pretty much allowed us to work from home whenever as long as we came in when it wasn't necessary to work remotely. To be honest, I prefer not to. There's a lot to be said for being able to hear over the cube wall, and hear what is going on and/or what you can help with.

I am not sure whether folks will continue to do a lot of working from home after the crisis or not. I had a talk with my boss shortly after our WFH policy was announced. He feels that if productivity doesn't suffer, it may be the beginning of a transition to a permanent one. I personally hope it doesn't, because I feel I'm less productive at home, and I like being in the office. We'll see.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 AM

In February, I had to leave my terrific new job at the beach because I was not able to sell my place. I couldn't continue to pay the rent for the new place and the space rent for my mobile, so I had just started to send out my resume when the apocalypse started.

I can go back on retirement. Between that and savings, I can manage to not be homeless, for awhile at least.

I really feel for the people that are worse off.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpluc View Post
A significant portion of Americans who have suddenly discovered they can work from home will never return to the workplace. Employers will discover they dont need to pay for big offices to holds these workers. Peoploe will have a new realization which positions are and are not critical in thier organizations and much will be reorganized permenantly.
Eh, I'm not so sure. At least in my industry, teleworking became a "thing" a few years ago and a lot of people/companies switched to it -- but the pendulum recently swung back, as both employers and employees started realizing the value of in-person interactions. I'm not aware of a lot of reorgs resulting from all of the teleworking. A benefit, though, is that a lot more people are equipped to work from home now than they were, say, 5 years ago. I also think you might be overestimating the number of people who will be happy to stay permanently isolated from their co-workers. But time will tell...
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

At my job, work from home became mandatory on Monday for everyone except the people in our Fulfillment department, who pack and ship product orders.

Last night, the governor of our state ordered all businesses except for life-supporting ones to close their physical offices. I (and our company C-suite) expect our company to be one of the exceptions because we provide devices to the medical community that locates equipment, staff, and patients, and also provides information on whether the equipment is clean or dirty, which is critical knowledge to hospitals at all times and even more so now.

I do not envy those who work in Fulfillment right now. I know that they've put protocols in place for sanitation routines and distancing and the like, but they must all be very uneasy about all of this. I hope they get a big bonus at the end.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

NM: Double post, which is just weird.

Last edited by Morgyn; 03-20-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:

I expect so, and not just in the U.S. Many companies are old-fashioned and keep doing things the way they've always done.

My boss requires us to do a Teams meeting every day, with video, because he wants to see our faces. We actually have a fairly close team, in that we also go for beers together. However, having different work schedules makes it difficult to build up the comraderie and to schedule team events for after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
In some businesses there is a high value placed on being present. I've worked for those firms where if you aren't sitting at your desk you're assumed to be screwing off. There seems to be a high correlation to companies that also locked down the internet. It won't surprise me particularly in a long shut down (8 weeks the cdc has started mentioning) that these business will start looking at work product and it won't surprise me if many of them look around and realize they are wasting money on office space.
I hope so. On the other side I wonder about corporate canteens. They operate by assuming a certain amount of business. If so many people start working from home more often, after this situation, the canteens may have to adjust their business model.

Our canteen closed on Monday, and the next day the company made working from home mandatory. The campus is open, in case someone has to be there. However, they have to have permission from their division head.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Three things, really: (1) I've got a really good workspace at work, (2) I've got a really crappy workspace at home, and (3) I really like having a strong work/home separation.

Teleworking full-time puts me on the wrong end of (1) and (2), and destroys (3). Our house isn't big enough that I can have a room that I only use for work, and to make my crappy workspace per (2) into something decent would require finding someone I could hire to design and build a more workable workspace in the corner that's available to me. (I was contemplating doing that, but I expect the current situation's going to make that more challenging.)

I'm less than four years from retirement, so moving or adding on to the house for this purpose would be right out.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

It became strongly encouraged in my company this week. I was allowed to stay in office only because everyone else in my office stayed home. I stayed working in office because I have a slow Internet connection and do not have a home office set up. I started working from home anyway yesterday because California locking itself down worries me that I might be caught in a sudden lockdown here in Florida without my work laptop.

I'd slightly prefer working from home if I had time to get a better Internet connection and set up a more ergonomic home office. I say slightly because I get very distracted by office noises, but virtual meetings are very slow and frustrating. I feel most productive in a physical office with individual rooms and lots of conference rooms to do face to face meetings. But I'd feel more productive at home than in a cube farm. The benefits of being able to prairie dog a question to someone the next cube over are minimal compared to the huge downsides and you can just IM them anyway.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
For the most part there's no reason I can't normally work from home; there's only a few things I'm responsible for that require I use a secure machine on-site (DoD are real sticklers for that kind of thing ).

The main reason is just my bosses don't like it. The previous director of the department allowed a few people to telework but soured on it because she had a habit of randomly calling during the day just to check in, and often she would find them not available or obviously doing something that was not work. She basically taught the subsequent and current director everything she knows about the job, so the current director doesn't care for it either. Otherwise my main responsibilities could be accomplished from literally anywhere I can access the internet.

However, if this works out okay it might soften her on it. The two women who got pregnant were allowed to telework have managed to convince her to let them work from home permanently. Guess I just have to figure out a way to get pregnant. (I'm a 42 year old man)

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
You left out a big category. I have a job that can not be done from home.
Same here. We make food products, some for restaurants and some for retail. We were declared vital to the effort so we won't be shut down when the governor shuts down travel. We got our "papers" so we can travel through blockades yesterday.