Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 AM

First scripted shows to address The Situation?

Watching last night's Bob's Burgers, which takes place on Saint Patric's day in a now quaint alternate universe, I wondered which scripted shows (meaning not talk shows live comedy shows like SNL, or reality/game shows) will be first to work the crisis and quarantine into the script. Any guesses? And comedies or dramas?
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM

WWE? They are a "scripted" show so to speak. And they have already worked it in because their the main shows---RAW and Smackdown--had to forgo being taped at an arena to to be taped at the WWE Perfomance Center without an audience.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:39 AM

It will almost certainly be South Park. The show has been completely CG since very very early in its run and they can churn out episodes remarkably quickly, even quicker than a live-action show could.

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-16-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I didn't even realize that South Park was still running.

Most shows, I imagine, won't address it at all, because the lead time is long enough that by the time the episodes written now would be airing, the quarantines would be (mostly) over.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Jersey Shore.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 AM

My first thought was South Park, as well. 20 years ago they were able to turn out a parody of the Florida vote count less than a week after the election.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM

South Park is currently in between seasons. There's no date announced for the season 24 premiere, but new seasons typically start in September. It would be interesting to set how they handle it, though. Cartman would probably claim that it is a Jewish conspiracy and make Kyle the target of his wrath.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Our Cartoon President on Showtime did it last night. A scene from Youtube.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Obviously The West Wing won't be addressing the current coronavirus crisis. But back in 2001, after the terrorists attacks on September 11, they were able to write and record an episode addressing it and broadcast it on October 3.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I didn't even realize that South Park was still running.

Most shows, I imagine, won't address it at all, because the lead time is long enough that by the time the episodes written now would be airing, the quarantines would be (mostly) over.
Shows like, for example, Newsroom, would address 'current events' about a year later. They would change it enough that it wouldn't see irrelevant, but the story would be similar.

I started watching Tommy recently. The had an episode that was sorta kinda based on the Fyre Festival.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Come to think of it, no matter how long the quarantine is, live-action shows won't be able to address it until afterwards, because the actors themselves will be quarantined.

I'm also kind of wondering about newspaper comics. They have a significant lead time, too, but it's possible to push out new ones to replace the ones currently in the queue, much quicker.

Though, I'm still seeing political strips talking about how it looks like Sanders is going to be the Democratic nominee.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I'm also kind of wondering about newspaper comics. They have a significant lead time, too, but it's possible to push out new ones to replace the ones currently in the queue, much quicker.
Today's Lockhorns (as pointed out by the Comics Crudmiffin) has a totally different meaning than it did when it was created.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Itís a real shame that MONK is off the air, since he now looks like the guy who isnít actually taking this seriously enough. ďUh, hey, itís great that youíd use a wipe after shaking my hand, but Iíd of course rather we just didnít shake hands in the first place. Whatís that? Spray down some rental shoes before having ourselves a fun night at the bowling alley? Knock yourself out, pal, but I ainít that brave.Ē
Old 03-17-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Come to think of it, no matter how long the quarantine is, live-action shows won't be able to address it until afterwards, because the actors themselves will be quarantined.
Bull had an awkward moment.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:45 PM

Derailing my own thread, the German Big Brother contestants have just now been told about this.
German Julie Chen: "Nice job so far guys! Oh, BTW, it's the Zombie Apocalypse out here."
I haven't watched Big Brother US in many years, but I was watching Season 2 when they were the last people on Earth to hear about 9/11. (They had already noticed the weird absence of air traffic.)
Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 AM

Every time I read this thread title, I think it's about The Situation.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:32 PM

This weeks Bull, by an unfortunate coincidence happened to be about an anthrax scare. So they tacked on a PSA at the beginning saying basically that.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 PM

I have to assume it will be a Dick Wolfe show. Ripping stories from the headlines seems to be what they do.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:20 PM

Not a show, but there's a new commercial from Hotels.com.

https://youtu.be/6dimCZCfGMI

"This is Captain Obvious. He's going to be social distancing for a while. And you should, too. Just stay home."

Very responsible and practical advice.

Last edited by cochrane; 03-23-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 PM

Can't wait for them to bring back the Newsroom to tackle this issue.

"So are we going to call it the Wuhan Flu or the Coronavirus on-air, we need an answer now!"

".... let's call it the coronavirus"

<Triumphant music>
Old 03-23-2020, 06:34 PM

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and if they do a social distancing episode some time in the future (it won't be the first), it's going to be amazing.

"That's only 5 1/2 feet!"

"Don't tell me how big it is. I know six feet."

"Fuck you!"

"No, fuck you!"

and then at the end some ironic mishap occurs where the difference of just a few inches off of six matters.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I'm also kind of wondering about newspaper comics.
Looks like Curtis.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Actually, Prickly City had it beat by a week. Which ironically enough, is the same strip I referenced above as being so out-of-date that it was taking for granted that Sanders would be the Democratic nominee.